• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I prefer the factions that are more "good in their own interest", selfishly good, and can be seen as a villain to someone with equal intentions but clashes with theirs, which I'd say most factions are but are also open for different sides. That said it's hard to really say whether Oathbound are meant to be inherently good or blinded and ignorant in their vision, seeing as recreating the Star Union maaaay not be the most noblest of pursuits nor forcing everyone under a single banner again when coexistence may be the better option.

But that's entirely up to your own interpretation and how you did the campaign, as there's little context to what's actually the right path to take. I do get a feeling though that Oathbound are meant to have good intentions but that those intentions could be viewed as authoritarian dictatorial rule and that they may not accept anyone wishing to remain independent, branding those factions as renegades and rebels of the Star Union. Not all Oathbound probably, but some in power. It'd atleast open up more sides to it if their noble-bright exterior hides something potentially darker or less black and white, such as their view of their cause being noble and good may actually be more villainous for others.

As for Oathbound's aesthetics, so far I got mixed feelings and it's not that they're humans. There's shots of what your commander can look like and their customization is interesting. There's also the big mech unit that looks badass and the paladin champion as well as seer looks quite good. But then there's shots of what I'd assume is the core unit with the big axe-polearm which their suit looks very... eggishly bland and their weapon simply resemble a big paddle. There's also another mech (tier 2?) in some shots that's smaller with shield and sword, with the shield and sword having rather... odd shapes to them, don't know what to feel about it.

It's like they're meant to look very stylishly futuristic and different from the other human factions but kinda ends up looking all over the place. Amazons looks fairly futuristic and stylish, but there's still a feeling of functionality, a continuous theme. Oathbound look all stylish but no functionality, the theme being to kinda not look that way to convey they are "beyond it", but to me their armor and weapons sorta look more fake and plastic. I hope my initial feel for the little we can see of them so far is wrong and I warm up to them, as I am very, very interested in their playstyle.
I am very excited about this race and I like the way their armors look but I also I'm not digging the big beige paddle look of the weapons.

I've been waiting for a single-player or hot-seat "campaign" mode in any TBS game since the good old DOS game called "Conquered Kingdoms" 25 years ago! My friends and I are seriously looking forward to the Galactic Empires feature with anticipation (more like frothing in the mouth like a bezerker and raving like a lunatic right now for me lol). November 10th is not far off!

So based on the stream the Galactic Empires in short is another layer of customizing games: adds unique traits to planets that might make it a pain in the a*s (full of Paragons who want to kill you or limited vision for all units etc) and quite a different expierience with specific win objectives (like kill two allied Syndicate players etc there are victoey condition quests and subquests). You also pick things like units or mods you want to use (for example that work well in the planets conditions) and there's this resource called Renown which you get for compelting quests, and which you can later use to "buy" or "rent" the things you choose before starting the mission.

Oh, and there's a cool feature/perk that lets you loadout your Commander with a battlesuit (there are 4 + 2 unique Secret Tech ones).

The rest was about Oathbound traits and abilities or how they play, but that is a topic for another discussion...

Last edited:
Reactions:
I actually just watched it on playback. They are pretty cool, especially the doctrine for the free 1 stack of precognition.

I did not get a good look, but I assume the battlesuit counts as a vehicle, since I remember seeing that word in there for them, which means the upgrades will likely be based on the vehicle pilots.

Tom mentioned that Oathbound are meant to be the highly requested "melee-focused" faction. Their racial doctrines or abilities like Precognition and stronger defense modes are used to increase their survivability while they close the distance to their enemies. Their weakness are generally arc damage and lack of ranged units.

Coming back to Galaxy Empires - Tom talked about how players will probably want to play around various negative traits of planets, like a planet full of Arc units vs. player playing as Oathbound. But this actually gave me an idea that those players who think even the strongest AI is underperforming or are generally looking for a challange might consider tackling these negative traits to make their games more interesting...

I liked the looks of the paladin battlesuits I saw. Especially the Paladin Protector. Personally, I just hope they do not make the battlesuits work like infantry commanders.

I do not really like the vices/flaws, but it seems that this is the one faction that needs it.

Precognition is durability. Stopping one attack can be a big deal, if it's the correct attack.

On a side note, as the Watcher unit showed in the stream and as Tom explained, the idea behind Precognition is a skill that "manipulates" the outcomes of battles so for instance it can buff your units to get a critical in next attack (it still needs to hit though).

Precognition is durability. Stopping one attack can be a big deal, if it's the correct attack.

You miss my point entirely, i never meant it in gameplay aspect. What i mean is exactly i said, doctrine wise, as in military doctrine. The oathbound is paladin, generally the main defensive doctrine of paladin or the classic trope of paladin approach in combat is slow, lumbering, very durable unit, some has healing or method to sustain (yes the oathbound has this), even the fantasy equivalent of the oathbound, the archon is like this. I see the oathbound unit has quite extraordinary armor total (a bit similar to vanguard or dvar), though ordinary amount of Hp, meaning oathbound is not the classic paladin. But the fact that triumph choose the other way for the oathbound defensive method, i mean using precognition and mobility actually proves them very creative, honestly i never expected that. Before you miss my point again, don't get me wrong, this has nothing to do about like or dislike. But if you must know, this approach actually make me very happy, because this make the oathbound closer to eldar than T'au at least in case of their tactical combat approach, the eldar being my most favorite race in WH40k, now it's official the oathbound is my most favorite faction in planetfall.

Last edited:
Reactions:
I liked the looks of the paladin battlesuits I saw. Especially the Paladin Protector. Personally, I just hope they do not make the battlesuits work like infantry commanders.

I do not really like the vices/flaws, but it seems that this is the one faction that needs it.

I was afraid I wouldn't like their looks from the hard to see screenshots, but so far they actually look good in action and with more battlesuits it gives a nice variety!

I'm kinda sad we still haven't seen more vices added, or even any commander traits overall. I feel it was one of those things introduced as something to make up for lack of classes/specializations and felt bit few options, but I expected it was gonna get more as patches/DLC's went on. Definitely feel there should be more vices atleast as you'll want to pick them for more options but with there being so few a lot of commanders eventually feel kinda samey.

You miss my point entirely, i never meant it in gameplay aspect. What i mean is exactly i said, doctrine wise, as in military doctrine. The oathbound is paladin, generally the main defensive doctrine of paladin or the classic trope of paladin approach in combat is slow, lumbering, very durable unit, some has healing or method to sustain (yes the oathbound has this), even the fantasy equivalent of the oathbound, the archon is like this. I see the oathbound unit has quite extraordinary armor total (a bit similar to vanguard or dvar), though ordinary amount of Hp, meaning oathbound is not the classic paladin. But the fact that triumph choose the other way for the oathbound defensive method, i mean using precognition and mobility actually proves them very creative, honestly i never expected that. Before you miss my point again, don't get me wrong, this has nothing to do about like or dislike. But if you must know, this approach actually make me very happy, because this make the oathbound closer to eldar than T'au at least in case of their tactical combat approach, the eldar being my most favorite race in WH40k, now it's official the oathbound is my most favorite faction in planetfall.

I really like that too being a unique take, that said I also feel it's a necessary thing to go for, atleast mobility. Given how much they rely on melee and Planetfall heavily being a ranged game, you kinda need to quickly get in there. Other option is making them ridiculously tanky but I don't feel that's as fun to play against/with and only drags fights out to try to kite them, probably with floating and flying units that can ignore terrain. Having their durability tied to something that's less of a passive but active leaves room for more strategic choice, and the fact it only works for one attack so you can still bait it out with a weak attack.

Either way I'm excited, I've always loved playing melee builds for the factions that can and my fav vehicles been the ones that does it too, lancer being my fav one. So seeing Oathbound get tons of "vehicle" options of different kinds and them being melee, really gets me excited!

Edit: Oh forgot! Galactic Empire! I'm really excited for it seeing how it is, definitely a more fun single player scenario version, with campaign and scenario combined together. Had no idea you still had option for players, difficulty, etc like in scenario, that's awesome so you got a mixture of random campaign elements and able to customize it your way in terms of difficulty.

Still sad no multiplayer. I can understand this wouldn't fit for competitive, but I'd loved to see a coop version where one friend can join in as one of the other commanders you got and you start in an alliance together (like team game but can still FFA with the other AI) and both of you share the objectives and that other system where you can set up and buy units, operation and mods. That'd made this mode twice as fun!

Last edited:
Reactions:
I really don't get it. There's tons of games out there with all sorts of aliens; green aliens with tentacles, purple aliens with slightly longer tentacles, black aliens with only one tentacle (wooo, exotic). Comes along a company that takes a different approach (while still including plenty of alien creatures) with a vast transhumanism theme, nostalgic references abound and a genuinely original setting in which all the different factions have their own very distinctive playstyles with a wealth of versatility that is, frankly, unimaginable. And so many people go: "No aliens ... boring"

I'd take original over alien anyday.
One observation I'd make is that a lot of the 'transhuman' races in Planetfall could very easily have been aliens. Dvar are already basically space dwarfs. Amazons could have been like the Exodite Eldar or could have been sapient dinosauroids like Warhammer Fantasy lizardmen who hadn't lost their technology. Assembly are essentially Borg (that have just started out rather than having the massive tech advantage that Star Trek Borg have) and could have been alien Borg rather than human Borg. Syndicate could easily have been an alien race with natural psionic ability and a tendency towards unethical mercantalism (basically, psychic Ferengi).

And it probably wouldn't have made much difference to the gameplay - as long as there was still some common source for the secret techs. Heck, you could even still have a similar story if the Star Union was just made an empire with multiple sapient species (which it kinda was, it's just that the Kir'ko and the Growth weren't acknowledged as such) rather than human.

To be clear, this observation is not in support of either approach, but instead observing that neither is really inherently 'better' than the other. It's just a matter of aesthetics and theme, which is always going to be somewhat subjective.

Honestly even though lorewise they both fight for a 'greater good' and the Seers might have a few skeletons in their closet like the Ethereal Caste, I would hardly consider the Oathbound to be similar or analogous to the Tau, this is because of the prevalence of powerful melee bruisers (that aren't 'vassals' or auxiliary units) in their mainline roster from what we've seen so far.

The closest you'll get to a true Tau analogue in Planetfall is to play Celestian Vanguard without producing Lightbringers or any strong melee units, except maybe the occasional use of Vespid Kir'ko and Kroot Amazon dinos from absorbed colonies.
I'd probably say that Vanguard Promethean or Vanguard Synthesis would be closer. You lose the Ethereal-analogue, but Ethereals aren't really supposed to be a significant part of the military anyway, and Tau are notoriously psychically ungifted. A closer analogue to an Ethereal would probably be a hero with a melee weapon that focuses on support abilities.

Reactions:
I really like that too being a unique take, that said I also feel it's a necessary thing to go for, atleast mobility. Given how much they rely on melee and Planetfall heavily being a ranged game, you kinda need to quickly get in there. Other option is making them ridiculously tanky but I don't feel that's as fun to play against/with and only drags fights out to try to kite them, probably with floating and flying units that can ignore terrain. Having their durability tied to something that's less of a passive but active leaves room for more strategic choice, and the fact it only works for one attack so you can still bait it out with a weak attack.

Either way I'm excited, I've always loved playing melee builds for the factions that can and my fav vehicles been the ones that does it too, lancer being my fav one. So seeing Oathbound get tons of "vehicle" options of different kinds and them being melee, really gets me excited!

Edit: Oh forgot! Galactic Empire! I'm really excited for it seeing how it is, definitely a more fun single player scenario version, with campaign and scenario combined together. Had no idea you still had option for players, difficulty, etc like in scenario, that's awesome so you got a mixture of random campaign elements and able to customize it your way in terms of difficulty.

Still sad no multiplayer. I can understand this wouldn't fit for competitive, but I'd loved to see a coop version where one friend can join in as one of the other commanders you got and you start in an alliance together (like team game but can still FFA with the other AI) and both of you share the objectives and that other system where you can set up and buy units, operation and mods. That'd made this mode twice as fun!

I agree. I never expected the oathbound to have such variety in vehicle, honestly this DLC keeps blowing my mind with every reveal. This includes the galactic empire, it's beyond my expectation (i was expecting them to do it in much simpler way), i'm more than satisfied with the GE mode, as for multiplayer, i believe the dev already said no multiplayer for that mode, i don't mind at all at this though.

From the Stream I must compliment Triumph on empires mode, the replayability and insane potential for storytelling.
What I like most though is the mechanical integration of the feudal theme; Oathbound Lords actually boosting colony output via Skill+Throne building as long as they are in their domain. The feudal lord roams his well managed estate in his mechanical suit of high tech armor with his warrior court,protecting his serfs against the various dangers that roam the planet surface. Very fitting and more then just surface dressing; it allows for some nice strategy, such us boosting the growth or production of border regions, or specializing vital central infrastructure.
True economic diversity indeed.

Also, I'm getting 40k vibes again. While I agree with them mechanically and aesthetically being closer to eldar, i'm getting strong ' Imperial Knight' vibes from the lore. ' Noble house such and such, in their mighty mechs'.

Im not sure battlesuits will be similar to vechiles though. I suspect they form their own category. Perhaps battlesuits may use Infantry mods as well as heavy mods? (could you have the Vanguard Strike missile on your battlesuit?)

Reactions:
From the Stream I must compliment Triumph on empires mode, the replayability and insane potential for storytelling.
What I like most though is the mechanical integration of the feudal theme; Oathbound Lords actually boosting colony output via Skill+Throne building as long as they are in their domain. The feudal lord roams his well managed estate in his mechanical suit of high tech armor with his warrior court,protecting his serfs against the various dangers that roam the planet surface. Very fitting and more then just surface dressing; it allows for some nice strategy, such us boosting the growth or production of border regions, or specializing vital central infrastructure.
True economic diversity indeed.

Also, I'm getting 40k vibes again. While I agree with them mechanically and aesthetically being closer to eldar, i'm getting strong ' Imperial Knight' vibes from the lore. ' Noble house such and such, in their mighty mechs'.

Im not sure battlesuits will be similar to vechiles though. I suspect they form their own category. Perhaps battlesuits may use Infantry mods as well as heavy mods? (could you have the Vanguard Strike missile on your battlesuit?)

I took a look, and it outright says vehicle in the name, and it gives piloting. Sure it also gives some upgrades that I would normally associate with melee infantry commander, but the fact that it gives piloting which is pretty exclusive to vehicles makes them vehicles.

Their combat approach, at least tactically is more similar to eldar though, than any military facfions of imperium of men or even T'au. That the oathbound mechs are squishy for a mech, but their defensive method rely more on precognition and guidance from their seer, that is totally eldar way, let's not forget that their mechs also emphasize agility and mobility than inherent durability (like more hp or armor), then their mech is also slender or sleeker in designs, totally not imperium of men, T'au is close in design but T'au favor euclidean geometry, the oathbound favor non euclidean just like eldar.

Regarding battlesuit, well, probably next stream will reveal it, i don't really interested with it, i just want to see titan in action, highly unlikely that's going to happen though even in the next stream but who knows

Their combat approach, at least tactically is more similar to eldar though, than any military facfions of imperium of men or even T'au. That the oathbound mechs are squishy for a mech, but their defensive method rely more on precognition and guidance from their seer, that is totally eldar way, let's not forget that their mechs also emphasize agility and mobility than inherent durability (like more hp or armor), then their mech is also slender or sleeker in designs, totally not imperium of men, T'au is close in design but T'au favor euclidean geometry, the oathbound favor non euclidean just like eldar.

Regarding battlesuit, well, probably next stream will reveal it, i don't really interested with it, i just want to see titan in action, highly unlikely that's going to happen though even in the next stream but who knows

Ugh, they actually did reveal the battlesuit thing in yesterday's stream, where they are called vehicles, they are called vehicles in the description and give piloting, which allows for the hero being equipped with vehicles and mounts. Either that is getting rewritten, or for the purposes of mechanics, the battlesuits are going to be considered vehicles.

Ugh, they actually did reveal the battlesuit thing in yesterday's stream, where they are called vehicles, they are called vehicles in the description and give piloting, which allows for the hero being equipped with vehicles and mounts. Either that is getting rewritten, or for the purposes of mechanics, the battlesuits are going to be considered vehicles.

I know, but i believe what some posters above meant is what the battle suit tag do, some of them guess that it add something, like Snorro Soliman said, he said the battlesuit tag probably allows the vehicle to use infantry mods, he can be right, who knows. Until the dev reveal more, we can only guess

I took a look, and it outright says vehicle in the name, and it gives piloting. Sure it also gives some upgrades that I would normally associate with melee infantry commander, but the fact that it gives piloting which is pretty exclusive to vehicles makes them vehicles.

You are right ofcourse, thanks for the correct. They function like vechicles (require piloting, explode but hero survives and (probably) use most vechile mods).
My question is more one of which ' special rules' apply, such as:
Vechiles do not turn when struck
Some mods specifically can or cannot function on vechicles.

Compare for example the Therian mods which may use the Infantry equipment to ' standard' vechicles. (Lion king shooting free missiles)

I suspect battlesuits turn when struck, and may use some Infantry mods.

As to this being the eldar way:

Yes, 100% agree with you here. Definitely calling my ultimate seer ' Eldrad, Keikadori master'....
Also digging the agility/precog combo over pure armor/hp. Makes for more dynamic tactical battles.

edited for various spelling errors

I doubt it. when a mod lists what it can be attached to, they are usually referring to the tags of the unit, listed on minionstart.github.io on top of the unit pages. Mods that can only be attached to mounted or infantry units are usually referring to the tags. It would make more sense to revise the mods that require those units to also include units with Battlesuits than it does to make an entire passive just to allow that unit to use infantry mods.

IF they show it does that, then I will agree. Until then, I will remain skeptical of whatever people say it might do, since all we can do is speculate.

My official speculation is that it does something passively, and that is all. Until someone can add some evidence to even hint that it has something to do with mods, that is not something I will speculate it does.

Last edited: