• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Dev Diary January 24, 2011

The most important news first:

We had a discussion in our dev forum last week and have agreed to release a Beta version of CORE for AoD.

We tied that agreement in with the release policy of BL. If BL were to release the 1.06 Beta 2 over the weekend (which they didn´t) we would hold until we have checked the changes in 1.06b2.

Otherwise we would release the CORE 0.50 Beta as soon as possible. This basically means we will release the Beta when I personally have the time to build an installer.

Since I disassembled the China and Japan AI over the weekend once more and still am in the process of putting it back together, all I can promise is that we can release a Beta version "this week".

Best Regards

T.

Omg, you just ruined every HoI game for me. Now I'm doomed to wait for this beta since it could be released any day now. Every other game seems trivial and meaningless. Hope you are happy ;)

January 25, 2011 dev diary

Well, I´ll keep this thread warm now ...

We had a success yesterday night with the Japanese AI for the China war, which tended to wrap itself up and clog its build queue with a > 200 IC build load. Even if there are more ideas floating around, what we had yesterday night might make a nice Beta release.

So - I am travelling today and will not likely have time to build the installer in the evening - so how about Wednesday for a release date?

T.

Wednesday to get this enormous time-eating mod? Lemme think: got important meeting at work Friday morning, a LOT of stuff to do for the school by Monday. So yes, Wednesday sounds awesome ;)

Ah the waiting is killing me........ but if u deside to postpone it let us know ill be checkking every few hours to see if u releaced it.

Wednesday means Wednesday night MET. Probably around 2200 hours.

There would be good reasons to delay a day or two, because there are many interesting suggestions being made for changes in the dev group, but I´ll probably push it out tonight and go for the dev team changes in an internal release.

T.

Yes, we have decided to release an open Beta to give you all a change to try out the mod, comment, help us improve it.

Dev Diary January 31, 2011

So, the big event of the week was certainly the public Beta of CORE 0.50(.15).

At the moment we are going a bit slower in the development and are addressing the user comments as they come in. However, 0.50.16 (which will only be released internally) is certainly taking shape.

We have gone a bit harder on the effect of supply distance and made changes to naval combat balancing as pointed out in the open Beat thread. The SCW stand-off seems to be solved. There was some more fine-tuning to Japanese naval build AI, especially by adding convoy transports to the build queue, which prevents Japan going crazy with building convoy transports at certain points in the game.

We are eagerly awaiting the 1.06b2 version of AoD.

Feb. 7, 2011 dev diary

Sunday night we made an internal release of CORE for AoD 0.50.16.

For one it contains the shift to AoD 1.06b2 (which is really just one extra line in the misc.txt).

It also contains numerous fixes that came up in the open Beta and in the continuing work of the developers.

The Japan/China theater is more or less fixed.

We now have to hunt the CTDs at the end of the Spanish Civil War.
And there is a new problem with Germany getting stuck in Beligum in 1940.

Overall the work is coming along fine, so we may have another open Beta soon.

What Tegethoff didn't mention is the fact that with 1.06b2 out, the next Beta more likely than anything else will be including my 'travel guide for AoD', i.e. province specific province imagery. Still a work in progress, it's advancing steadily, with at this moment full coverage for Western Europe, parts of Eastern Europe and Africa, plus the odd image or two... We will supply it as an optional download I presume, but based on our Beta feedback so far it has been very well received indeed.

Province-specific imagery, eh? I, for one, am quite glad to hear of it. Very nice addition.

Province-specific imagery, eh? I, for one, am quite glad to hear of it. Very nice addition.
Indeed - I absolutely love this new AoD feature... Here are a few teasers:

Like these ships in Port Said:
Ill_prov_901.jpg

Or Dieppe's old passenger terminal:
Ill_prov_42.jpg

Or the 'Normandie' leaving Le Havre:
Ill_prov_41.jpg

Or a view of Cherbourg's old 'new' passenger terminal, built in '33, bombed in '44, and rebuilt afterwards, though without that tower depicted here:
Ill_prov_38.jpg

Or Brest's old military harbor:
Ill_prov_32.jpg

See, those just improve the atmosphere. It's the little things that get me pumped up to play.

Dev Diary February 24, 2011

Well, most of you can gain a good picture of where we are by downloading 0.50.17.

Internally, we have distributed 0.50.18 and are working on 0.50.19.

It seems that we have solved the problems with Germany getting stuck in Belgium.
A solution to the sluggish Spanish Civil War seems to be in sight.
We are improving our understanding of the invasion AI. At the moment, we have overshot the target and Japan is invading places halfway around the globe - well, at least it invades Oman - but this means we are approaching settings that are realistic.
A detail rework of all tech team activations is underway to use the new AoD syntax.
We are also looking at mobilisation triggers and trades (to account for some changes in AoD) and several other details.
Soviet AI remains to be improved and some work will be done on British India AI.
And we are carefully entering the world of map-modding (thanks to ArmdChair´s persistence), though at the moment we are only correcting incorrect province names.

AND of course Hagar has found a couple of hundred more province pics for his travel guide. He was last seen with a black and white camera dressed in 1930s garb boarding a plane for South America ....

It seems that we are well-synchronised with B-L´s progress on 1.06 and hopefully can release our mod officially when 1.06 is out.

Best Regards

Tegetthoff

AND of course Hagar has found a couple of hundred more province pics for his travel guide. He was last seen with a black and white camera dressed in 1930s garb boarding a plane for South America ....
Texas actually... Beats the chill of Alaska. Loved the Rockies and Hawaii... Ate some dust in Kansas and Oklahoma - never knew the Dust Bowl was that bad! ;)

I'll take our plains, farms, and cows over dust, dust, and more dust any day. :)

I'm very happy with the direction the Japanese AI is moving. A far cry from most of my experiences of Japan declaring war on half the world and then proceeding to masterfully sit there. Though, I suppose the surprise modifier would still apply in that case. The Allies would be desperately searching for the phantom invasion force for some time, I think. :p