• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Eldarrage

Recruit
Dec 29, 2013
I do love this game, but do you have any plans for combat animations improvements?

I think the easiest example is the xenoplague starter melee weapon. Equip that on a hero and fight a few things with it. The animation doesn't even look like an attack, there's no connection with the enemy, if there's any sound effect at all I haven't noticed it, it's like your hero is doing some sort of weird stretch and the enemy just takes damage then falls over. A lot of the melee I've seen is like that to some extent (and I haven't seen much, because I tend to avoid both melee and manual combat), it just doesn't feel impactful or look natural.

Now it's hard to mess up a shooting animation, and short of the weapons there are/were simply missing them, they look ok, but I think they are weak again on the impacts, and I've seen a number of people criticize the audio for them.

Another very easily spotted issue is any sort of knock effect, there is no unit physics or ragdolls at all, so when you knock something up in the air or back, it just sort of hops in that direction without changing it's stance at all.

A lot of the vehicles have these big guns on them that then fire and feel underwhelming. It makes it very obvious that the game that the game is built off Age of Wonders 3 that never had to deal with any firearms more advanced than a musket.

It seems some changes were made in the last big patch but still.

Thank you in advance.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yeah, some melee animations do look pretty awkward, and there are a few glitches here and there (mostly death animations). On the other with how many different shapes and sizes of units are in the game I don't think it's even worth it to put so much work into the animations. Why? This is a strategy game, you will see those animations from time to time but aesthetics, as in battle animations, is not the point of this game in the long run because eventaully you will get bored from watching them, and instead focus on carrying out the battles themselves (plus I think you can turn-off the close up camera). It's more important to have clean UI and clear visibility of various battle effects, statuses, ranges etc.

Yeah, there are games like Total War: Warhammer series which put a heavy emphasis on battle animations, but attractive battles are the whole point of the game (hence "Fantasy Battles"), plus they have a lot bigger budget on their side (liscence etc). Alas for a 4X game I think Planetfall does pretty well in the visual department.

That said I think your post is a bit too much on the "nitpicky" side.

I don't think it's even worth it to put so much work into the animations. Why? This is a strategy game, you will see those animations from time to time but aesthetics, as in battle animations, is not the point of this game in the long run because eventaully you will get bored from watching them, and instead focus on carrying out the battles themselves (plus I think you can turn-off the close up camera). It's more important to have clean UI and clear visibility of various battle effects, statuses, ranges etc.

I disagree. You will see your units perform that animation dozens of times over a game. If those animations are wonky (looking at you, assembly sniper and disassembler) it is a truly jarring experience and i don't get used to it.

I disagree. You will see your units perform that animation dozens of times over a game. If those animations are wonky (looking at you, assembly sniper and disassembler) it is a truly jarring experience and i don't get used to it.

Ok, that's reasonable. Still I don't see it as that big of an issue, but it's my personal opinion and I'm not the only one here, opinions can be varied. Triumph guys are a responsive lot, if the issue is raised by enough players I think they might adress it. Or maybe they already have it on their "to-do-list"? Maybe it's a matter of time or resources? As a studio that imo improves with each new iteration they make, I am sure there are things they would like to do better. Now they need to focus on content that was promised to Season Pass owners.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yes, other issues are more important and if it is a matter of resources they are probably better spent elsewhere.

And i am happy with the game, but i wouldn't mind the animation people retouching some of the original stuff before moving on to create more content, especially if it is a lateral expansion of content (e. g. more races, factions, units).

• 1Like
Reactions:
From what i've seen, the Shakarn troopers' firing animations have a very satisfying look and sound!
So obviously they have got the principles down now, but i understand that no one is going to pay for additional work on some of the original units.

They can always squeeze in a couple of improvements here and there, but it will depend on time and resources. After Invasions they will probably put all their efforts into Fall dlc, and that's at least another new faction to animate...