• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

AndrewT

The Full Monty Python
116 Badges
Jun 29, 2001
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Lead and Gold
  • Legio
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Pirates of Black Cove
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
This thread is to provide a single repository of confirmed information on the various technical problems afflicting C:S players at the moment. All contributions to this thread are welcome, but MUST be in the form of a technical (not gameplay) problem/bug, with a TESTED solution, OR a comment on one of those: either supporting, disagreeing, or modifying it. Other posts will be deleted - we want this to be short, sharp and correct!

ALWAYS run a Steam verify until it finds no problems, then test, before embarking on any attempted fix.

Windows:
  1. ColossalFramework.Steamworks.SteamInitializationException: Steam initialization has failed beyond repair or you do not own the game
    I've fixed this with a Steam refresh:

- uninstall this game from Steam
    - exit Steam
    - manually delete everything in the Steam folder EXCEPT steam.exe and the /SteamApps/ folder
    - run steam.exe to rebuild all that
    - install this game again

2. Game fails to run under Windows 10 (may have run once OK)
    In Steam right-click on this game and choose Properties. Click on Set Launch Options, and paste this in there:
    -force-d3d9

3. "Unknown error" or "unsupported platform" on startup
    This is always caused by trying to run the game under 32bit Windows. The game's published minimum requirements explicitly state that 64bit Windows is required:
    https://www.paradoxplaza.com/cities-skylines
    If you have Vista, 7, 8 or 8.1 your Windows license covers both 32bit and 64bit versions of Windows, so there's no cost to download and switch. But there is the pain of doing a full Windows re-install, never pleasant I know!

4. Pixellated green screen during play
    As seen here. Is fixed by updating video driver from the vendor's website, NOT from Steam or Microsoft. Has only been seen with old AMD video drivers.

5. No Shadows being displayed in the game
    In Steam right-click on this game and choose properties. Click on *Set Launch Options*, and paste this in there:
    -force-d3d9
    Try the game then please.

6. GC Exception error
    Has been found to be triggered by anti-virus apps including Kaspersky, ESET and Avast! so far. Full uninstallation seems to be necessary.

UPDATE: has now also found to be caused by the FaceIT anti-cheat app, as used by Counterstrike, World of Tanks, and other MMP games. Exit FaceIT before you play this game; if that doesn't help you may need to use the free Revo Uninstaller to get rid of all trace of it.

7. The Mouse Cursor is offset from where it appears to be
    In the game's Options menu, set V-sync to "don't sync".

8. The Policy Panel disappears sporadically.

Probably you have an AMD video card, which has this problem for some people.
    In Steam right-click on this game, Properties, Set Launch Options. Paste this in:
    -force-d3d9
  9. Game crashes at start with a BEX64 error. No output_log.txt written.
    Caused by a recent update to the AVG anti-virus app. Just disable AVG and the game will run just fine. Investigating whether adding cities.exe to AVG's whitelist helps.

10. Game crashes at start. This error near start of output_log.txt
    IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    at UnityEngine.Display.RecreateDisplayList (System.IntPtr[] nativeDisplay) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

For nVidia users: go into the nVidia Control Panel, Display, Adjust Desktop Size and Position. In the Scaling tab there change Select a scaling mode from Aspect Ratio to No Scaling.

https://gaming.stackexchange.com/qu...-when-playing-older-43-games-on-a-wide-screen

For AMD users: go into AMD Radeon settings and under 'display' change scaling mode from 'preserve aspect ratio' to 'full panel'.

MAC OS X:

1. Green pixellated screen on game startup. Disable the Steam Overlay for this game only. Works every time.

2. 16:9 external display forces Cities to render in a 16:9 aspect ratio, but the Nvidia card is optimized for 16:10.
    Forcing to run in 16:10 aspect fixes the problem.

3. Game crashes randomly under OS X 10.11.x . If the Mac has an nVidia video card, manually update the driver from the nVidia site. As of early 2016 the current driver is here.

LINUX:

New Game button greyed out
... able to resolve this issue temporarily by disabling every monitor but the primary one.

Assets not loading, Cannot choose map, no overlay when building roads.
You need to install fglrx drivers.

Game reboots entire computer.
Happened with any Unity game under kernel 3.1.2 (OS: Manjaro 0.8.12 Ascella (Arch Linux based)) . Upgrading to 4.0 fixed the problem.

Game no longer runs on Debian at all.
A recent update to Debian has caused this. Will not be fixed as the only supported distro for the game is Ubuntu.

PLATFORM-AGNOSTIC

How to get workshop mods available in the offline mode:
Active mod subscriptions from Workshop are located in folder: \SteamLibrary\SteamApps\workshop\content\255710
Paste the specific folder (not just the .dll) of the mod you'd like to have available offline to \Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Colossal Order\Cities_Skylines\Addons\Mods
Then you should be able to see them under mods in offline mode.

Saved Games missing or will not load:
Delete all savegames in the content manager that don't have a real thumbnail picture. If there is no picture at all or just a white one the respective savegames is corrupted. Delete it, restart the game and your remaining savegames should work again.

NEW GAME button is greyed out:
Another possible cause of this is having every single map in Contents-Maps de-selected. You must have at least one map available for the game to create a city on!

LOAD GAME button greyed out.
All save games are disabled (see Content Manager-Savegames) or corrupt or incompatible with the current game version.

IF YOU ARE NOT CONFIDENT IN DOING ONE OF THESE PROCEDURES, STOP AND ASK FOR HELP.

KNOWN LOAD SWITCHES:

-noWorkshop
-disableMods
-force-opengl
-force-glcore
-force-d3d9
-screen-width 1280
-screen-height 1024
-screen-fullscreen
-popupwindow (windowed mode)
-limitfps x (set a target fps)
-force-gfx-direct (force Unity to run the rendering in a single thread)
-autoconfig
-- -window-mode exclusive (may help with fps performance issues

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Assets not loading, Cannot choose map, no overlay when building roads.
You need to install fglrx drivers.
Please note that I had this issue and it was resolved using the open source drivers (radeon) and the solution below.

Edit the game's launch options to include (NOTE: Verify the path to your systems libz.so.1)
Code:
LD_PRELOAD=/lib64/libz.so.1 %command%

Source

New bug report to add to the list:

Every time I attempt to launch CS on Steam, Steam requires an update. I mean everytime!!!

Today, I signed onto Steam twice. The first required upload was for 450 MB and the second was 247 MB before I can even open the game. This is a daily occurrence.

I am a longtime fan of the SimCity series and had high hopes for CS. The problem with it seems to be Steam. Is the product available as a standalone without requiring any support from Steam???

New bug report to add to the list:

Every time I attempt to launch CS on Steam, Steam requires an update. I mean everytime!!!

Today, I signed onto Steam twice. The first required upload was for 450 MB and the second was 247 MB before I can even open the game. This is a daily occurrence.

I am a longtime fan of the SimCity series and had high hopes for CS. The problem with it seems to be Steam. Is the product available as a standalone without requiring any support from Steam???
This is not a game problem, let alone a bug, and if it were this would not be the thread to report it - this thread is for proven fixes, not bug reports.

To answer your question, you cannot play the game without Steam. Others are not getting this issue, so you probably need to do a clean Steam reinstall as per the first item in the OP of this thread.

Reactions:
A question from a mac user: Is there any chance that a workaround fix of a birthday problem will get resolved properly one day? In particular I am pointing at the Steam Overlay issue. I would really like to play the game one day with my steam controller, but that won`t work unless this issue is fixed properly. I would love to build a city on a 5 sqm screen from my sofa - with k/m thats not really comfortable.

Reactions:
In re: #8 (no policy panel), I had this problem and your solution worked - but I don't have an AMD video card (mine is an Nvidia 750 Ti). Thanks very much for a fix for an annoying problem.

How to get workshop mods available in the offline mode:
Active mod subscriptions from Workshop are located in folder: \SteamLibrary\SteamApps\workshop\content\255710

Thank you AndrewT. I found this very helpful.
I have an older pc, and when I play CS in "offline" mode, the game actually runs slightly faster/smoother (noticeable when your population/city gets larger).

But just an FYI ... I had a somewhat difficult time, following your path to the location. It could be that the (partial) path as indicated above, is for Windows 10 users. I tried to use the search feature using the first folder you wrote down ("SteamLibrary"), but my system could not find this folder.
The path on my computer, which uses Windows 7, is as follows:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\workshop\content\255710

PS: I thought I would post this, just in case someone else has a problem with pathing.

Last edited: