• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I was working on a fantasy converter mod for CK2 that I put on hold when CK3 was announced. (I plan to eventually port it to CK3, but that'll have to wait.) The idea was to allow the player to set up a customized fantasy scenario using game rules to toggle things like nonhuman races, magic, deities, monsters, etc. I worked out a pedigree system for tracking a character's genotype using variables that consistently yielded accurate racial assignments. It works thusly:
  • Start with a living highborn character and trace his lineage back to an apical ancestor -- i.e., the oldest ancestor with no attested parents. If the living character himself has no attested parents, he becomes the apical ancestor of his lineage.
  • Randomly assign a race (marked by a corresponding trait -- e.g., Elf) to the apical ancestor, weighting for the rarity of each race (set in game rules) and the biome (e.g., forest, mountain, desert) of the province in which the living descendant resides. (While this approach doesn't account for long-term population movements, it approximates the tendency in most fantasy settings for nonhumans to concentrate in specific biomes -- e.g., elves in forests, dwarves in mountains.) Generate a genotype consistsing of one variable for each race in the game (e.g., Dwarf 0, Elf 0, Goblin 0, Human 1.0, Orc 0, Pech* 0).
  • For each successive generation, calculate child genotypes by adding together the variables from the parents' genotypes and then dividing by two. For example: A child with a father whose genotype is [Elf 0, Dwarf 0, Goblin 0, Human 1.0, Orc 0, Pech 0] and a mother whose genotype is [Elf 1.0, Dwarf 0, Goblin 0, Human 0, Orc 0, Pech 0] would have a genotype of [Elf 0.5, Dwarf 0, Goblin 0, Human 0.5, Orc 0] and would be assigned the Half-Elf and Half-Human traits. More complicated genotypes result in a full-blood racial trait being assigned if one component clearly predominates, or half-blood traits being assigned for the two largest components if no one predominates.
  • If a character has only one attested parent, double that parent's genetic contribution for the purpose of calculating the child's genotype. This effectively results in the child having the same genotype as the parent. This was done to work around the fact that, in CK2, large numbers of long-deceased characters had fathers but no mothers.
  • Iterate this process across all living highborn characters, until none remain that don't have a genotype.
  • Once the pedigrees of all highborn characters have been generated, proceed to lowborn characters. Lowborns seldom (never?) have attested parents, so they are randomly assigned a race according to a) the race of their liege, and b) a racial diversity setting in the game rules.
  • All characters that are born after game-start have genotypes calculated from those of their parents. Characters created by hardcode/script with no parents are randomly assigned a race in the same way as lowborns.
And that's it. For Anbennar, this system could be adapted by directly assigning each apical ancestor a race and then letting the scripts calculate genotypes for the rest of the lineage. (Or by directly inputting genotypes for all characters in the files. This would be painstaking, but allow for finer control, in case something unusual -- like getting magically mutated into a different race -- is supposed to happen in a particular lineage. Although even those sorts of interventions could be scripted.) If some races are not interfertile, pregnancies can be terminated by script. If interracial unions produce only sterile offspring (like mules), that can be dealt with by assigning a modifier to halfbreeds that massively reduces their fertility.

* Pechs are halflings. I chose a different name to avoid autocomplete-related mistakes (typing h for halfling would also bring up human).

Last edited:
Reactions:
Will Humans be a playable faction?
Yep. Every single map screenshot except the one with halflings are human countries.
Half-elves and such will rule human countries. The Free Realms are pretty much 99% human

• 1Like
Reactions:
That's interesting. So there are no pure human rulers?
IIRC from my understanding on the timeline, most rulers are 'pure strain humans' at this point, with the oldest Half-Elves in their 20s. The elves were not conquerers in Castanor and the Free Kingdoms, but allies who were granted territories. Indeed, IIRC most human rulers in the EU4 timeframe are humans who intermarried with elves rather than elves who intermaried with humans.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Will there be dragons? If we are close to dnd lore dragons are able to assume humanoid forms, so it could be cool with a few hidden or known dragons.

Uhh, and drake riders :D

Reactions:
IIRC from my understanding on the timeline, most rulers are 'pure strain humans' at this point, with the oldest Half-Elves in their 20s. The elves were not conquerers in Castanor and the Free Kingdoms, but allies who were granted territories. Indeed, IIRC most human rulers in the EU4 timeframe are humans who intermarried with elves rather than elves who intermaried with humans.

This is correct, 99% of the rulers in this will be human

Will there be dragons? If we are close to dnd lore dragons are able to assume humanoid forms, so it could be cool with a few hidden or known dragons.

Uhh, and drake riders :D
Eventually, for sure. We have a few hidden dragons already - but this is something for the far future well after any sort of initial release
As for drake riders one of our countries, Verne, are named after wyverns due to their wyvern riders

• 2Like
Reactions:
Eventually, for sure. We have a few hidden dragons already - but this is something for the far future well after any sort of initial release
As for drake riders one of our countries, Verne, are named after wyverns due to their wyvern riders

Awesome! Drakes, wyverns, I don't care, flying lizards are always a good thing ^^
This sounds very exciting.
Good luck with the project, I'm looking forward to follow the progress. I'm not gonna offer any help, though. I have two little kids who take all my energy and sparetime. It's time well spent, but oh so exhausting :)

Awesome! Drakes, wyverns, I don't care, flying lizards are always a good thing ^^
This sounds very exciting.
Good luck with the project, I'm looking forward to follow the progress. I'm not gonna offer any help, though. I have two little kids who take all my energy and sparetime. It's time well spent, but oh so exhausting :)
Thanks! And yeah its all good, family is more important in the grand scheme of things :)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Very exciting thing here, I do have a few questions here though.

First is a question regarding elves, I know that half-elves will be playable but what about pure elves? Will they be playable?

And how will intermarriage between races work? For example a human marries an elf, that would naturally result in a half elf, but what about humans and half elves? At what point would the offspring cease to be half-elves and just humans or whatever race that their genetics would lean towards. Also, are all races biologically compatible? Or is it that only some can produce offsprings?

Last aside from humans and half elves, and possibly elves what other races will be playable? Are there playable dwarves? Halflings? Orcs? Dragons? Half-dragons?

Very exciting thing here, I do have a few questions here though.

First is a question regarding elves, I know that half-elves will be playable but what about pure elves? Will they be playable?

And how will intermarriage between races work? For example a human marries an elf, that would naturally result in a half elf, but what about humans and half elves? At what point would the offspring cease to be half-elves and just humans or whatever race that their genetics would lean towards. Also, are all races biologically compatible? Or is it that only some can produce offsprings?

Last aside from humans and half elves, and possibly elves what other races will be playable? Are there playable dwarves? Halflings? Orcs? Dragons? Half-dragons?
Yep all the usual fantasy races will be playable. As the intro blurb says some elves were granted land to rule for their efforts in the War of the Sorcerer King so there will be a few Elfrealms around, plus the sun elf Jaher, one of the characters in the screenshots, is an emperor of a massive empire.

As for intermarriage we arent sure on the idea of quarter-elves and three quarter-elves, mostly cos I think the name is pretty lame. Right now there is a % chance for their offspring to either be human or half-elf.
Most races are not biologically compatible. Human - Orc - Elf are the main compatibility group. There's no half-dwarves or anything like that in Anbennar.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Most races are not biologically compatible. Human - Orc - Elf are the main compatibility group. There's no half-dwarves or anything like that in Anbennar.

Can this be coded, and is the AI capable of dealing with this? I recall that in CKII "situational fertility" was not easy to do (I recall that the Elder Kings team eventually wound up just killing off the inevitable half-catfolk-half-lizardman babies by event), and, even if measures were put in place to prevent impossible half-breeds, the marriage AI could not be made aware of that fact. If CKIII has measures in place to make these matters easier, then that's great news for your mod and for many others.

Sooo... Will it be possible to set yourself up as a new Sorcerer King/ Evil Overlord?

Can this be coded, and is the AI capable of dealing with this? I recall that in CKII "situational fertility" was not easy to do (I recall that the Elder Kings team eventually wound up just killing off the inevitable half-catfolk-half-lizardman babies by event), and, even if measures were put in place to prevent impossible half-breeds, the marriage AI could not be made aware of that fact. If CKIII has measures in place to make these matters easier, then that's great news for your mod and for many others.
There's no conditional fertility so you'd still probably need an event to abort forbidden pregnancies, but you can fully mod the conditions for who is allowed to marry whom now.

• 1Like
Reactions:

We just abort the pregnancies (hot quote for the day) by some event I believe
And as mentioned yes we restrict this greatly for marriage acceptance - right now rulers cannot marry non-compatible races, we also have some "Race Purist" trait and other things to have greater acceptance ranges (so a Human Purist will only marry humans)

• 2Like
Reactions: