• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

opellulo

Second Lieutenant
46 Badges
May 22, 2010
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Magicka
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Victoria 2
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Surviving Mars
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Knights of Pen and Paper 2
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
So after over six month of radio silence we got a corporate message saying "Do you remember the guy that created the game franchise? Well we fired him a month ago, btw pre-order the 90 bucks version of the game". No explanation, no followup, no status updates, not even a salacious tweet or a farewell from the interested people (this last one come from an external news site, go figure).

Then don't complain if people comes out with all kind of wacky ideas, from QAnon level conspiracies to demanding demos like we were in the '90s. I don't pretend that any community management is like the Fall Guys one but thinking that there were multiple meetings involving tens of people and this was the chosen communication strategy is offensive (and troubling) on so many levels.

I don't know if the game will be a failure but for sure the PR strategy already is.

Last edited:
Reactions:

Andrew28475

Second Lieutenant
Jun 24, 2020
I promise you, I wish it were that easy. Game development isn't linear, there are folks working on many aspects at the game all at once so things are taken out, added, re-added on each build. Sometimes assets just have to change, sometimes QA finds something that needs to be pulled and worked on.

We hope that you understand and of course, if we have time to get something to share, we will. : )
Hence I said but if, but if it is not ready, that is also slightly concerning. Since that was a show peice.

Feeona

Second Lieutenant
Community Ambassador
66 Badges
Mar 27, 2019
  • Age of Wonders
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • King Arthur II
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Magicka
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
Was there any more information on what writers are left? I'd normally check LinkedIn or Twitter, but based on Mitsoda's response being hidden for a while, I'd prefer a more official response to the firings and who was retained to inherit the story that was left (if there's much left and not being rewritten).
The rest of the Narrative team who were working with Brian are still on board.

• 1Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:

Bear Squared

Sergeant
Aug 13, 2020
I think there's other writers listed at Hardsuit (if you search LinkedIn and Twitter with "writer" and "Hardsuit") but I don't know how "current" those profiles are.

No offense to Cara, but I'm kind of irritated she was kept and Brian was removed, and it also makes it sound like it's not a money issue, or they could have let the other writers go instead.

• 1Like
Reactions:

Rasqal

Private
Apr 26, 2019
So after over six month of radio silence we got a corporate message saying "Do you remember the guy that created the game franchise? Well we fired him a month ago, btw pre-order the 90 bucks version of the game". No explanation, no followup, no status updates, not even a salacious tweet or a farewell from the interested people (this last one come from an external news site, go figure).

Then don't complain if people comes out with all kind of wacky ideas, from QAnon level conspiracies to demanding demos like we were in the '90s. I don't pretend that any community management is like the Fall Guys one but thinking that there were multiple meetings involving tens of people and this was the chosen communication strategy is offensive (and troubling) on so many levels.

I don't know if the game will be a failure but for sure the PR strategy already is.
That's exactly the type of comment, that boils the issues down to the point and will get zero response from any official spokesperson.
Brian Mitsoda was kicked out on 7/16/20, the official announcement was made more than two weeks ago, and despite several people asking questions for the reasons why this happened, there is no response.
To me it seems that they just wait and try to sit out the excitement and confusion, fingers crossed that it'll soon be forgotten, people just stop talking about it and asking, and everything will go back to normal.

• 1Like
Reactions:

starkwolf

Second Lieutenant
39 Badges
Jan 13, 2019
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Prison Architect
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Victoria 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Knights of Honor
  • Darkest Hour
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • King Arthur II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Sengoku
What's wrong with EA? All I know they made Sims-4. Please, enlighten me!
If I can find it, a few years ago EA's PR department made a really stupid decision to basically say "we haven't done anything wrong, our playerbase is just really entitled." You can imagine the playerbase's reaction to that statement, to say it didn't go over well would be an understatement.

Point is, you say "bad PR is better than no PR." The reality is, if PR is tempted to say something really stupid, it is actually possible for silence to be the best PR option. If I can find the exact quote, I will edit this post. If there are a few more posts after this one I will make another post to let you know I edited it.

Found it pretty quickly actually. It was the developers of Apex Legends, working under EA if I understand correctly:

More generally, there are a lot of situations in life where saying nothing at all is better than saying something stupid.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Jun 11, 2019
To me it seems that they just wait and try to sit out the excitement and confusion, fingers crossed that it'll soon be forgotten, people just stop talking about it and asking, and everything will go back to normal.
My current guess would that they restart marketing some time after Cyberpunk launch. Many people will likely
have finished Cyberpunk then and are hungry for a next and similiar experience.
At this time Paradox hopes that will all have forget about Brian Mitsoda. Well i won´t.
Maybe everybody else would be forgotten but Mitsoda who was heavy in the marketing? I don´t think so.
I feel bad for saying this but almost nobody cares about that Ka’ai Cluney, Christian Schlüter and Florian Schwarzer are gone
but the previous face of this game Brian Mitsoda is someone that people won´t forget.

Reactions:

Luchs1

Private
Jun 3, 2020
That's exactly the type of comment, that boils the issues down to the point and will get zero response from any official spokesperson.
Brian Mitsoda was kicked out on 7/16/20, the official announcement was made more than two weeks ago, and despite several people asking questions for the reasons why this happened, there is no response.
Everything they publish from now on regarding this game will be overshadowed by Mitsoda/Cluney incident, and keeping it silent shall only make things worse. Imagine how many people canceled their preorders lately reducing their interest in this game from 100 to like 30% and what would be needed to rekindle that flame :confused:.
I understand there are legal issues preventing them from telling the truth but still something has to be said one way or the other.

Reactions:

RagnarokCzD

Major
Apr 1, 2019
My current guess would that they restart marketing some time after Cyberpunk launch.
Once again i need crying smiley reaction. :-/
Even more since this seem quite reasonable ... wich means that we will not get almost, or literally anything this year. :-/

Reactions:

Ninaran

Colonel
77 Badges
Feb 28, 2016
Man, Paradox has really destroyed all goodwill they've gathered over the years with the fiascos in HOI4, EU4, I:R and VtM. Turns out turning AAA really gets rid of the old fans and brings in the new.

Lord Roivas

Captain
62 Badges
Mar 7, 2013
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Divine Wind
  • Sword of the Stars II
I'm a lurker here on the forums, but I gotta say I'm really nervous about the lack of content and updates I'm hearing about this game.

Reactions:

xTodenx

Private
13 Badges
Jun 9, 2019
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
And those dev are? :)
Just Cara Ellison (or plus 2-3 devs) ?
Cara's RPG experience

llison made regular contributions to publications PC Gamer, Unwinnable and Rock, Paper, Shotgun beginning
2015, Ellison wrote a bi-weekly column called S.EXE for Rock Paper Shotgun about the depiction of sex and romance in video games.[8] She also contributed video game related articles to VICE UK in 2014
In 2013 Ellison won the Games Media Award 'Rising Star' for her work writing about games, and the Guardian placed her number ten in the 'Top 30 Young People In Digital Media' list 2014. [10] She also writes for the Guardian.[11]
In 2014 Ellison successfully sought funding on Patreon for her "Embed with" series, in which she became an itinerant games journalist, travelling the world and writing about the lives and processes of games developers.

Ellison worked for Rockstar North as a QA tester on Grand Theft Auto IV
In 2013, Ellison wrote the text-based interactive fiction game Sacrilege
She was contracted by Arkane Studios as an external narrative consultant for the 2016 title Dishonored 2

Basically she wrties about games and the people who make them.

Reactions:

RagnarokCzD

Major
Apr 1, 2019
I'm a lurker here on the forums, but I gotta say I'm really nervous about the lack of content and updates I'm hearing about this game.
Soon you will realize, that complaining about this problem makes around 65% content of this forum. :-/

• 1Haha
Reactions:

Bear Squared

Sergeant
Aug 13, 2020
Cara's RPG experience

She was contracted by Arkane Studios as an external narrative consultant for the 2016 title Dishonored 2

Basically she wrties about games and the people who make them.
She also worked on Void Bastards, but I haven't played it.

I don't understand what a narrative "consultant" on Dishonored 2 does, really. Does it say how long she did it for?

Really, all I care about is she didn't write Bloodlines 1, so I'm just dubious of the results of her involvement. All power to her if she does a good job, though, but I'd rather have Mitsoda, he's the reason I signed up for this title.

Reactions:
Jun 11, 2019
I'm kind of afraid they will, and it'll be the death knell for this game.
It depends what the next dev diary will cover. If they are smart i would suggest that made a Rik Schaffer interview about Bloodlines 2 soundtrack.
I believe that in this case the fans won´t be that mad because like Mitsoda and his wife he is a Bloodlines 1 vet.

But like i said i only expect some infos after the Cyberpunk release.

Bear Squared

Sergeant
Aug 13, 2020
I don't think an interview with Rik Schaffer would be a positive vs. just showcasing his music, apparently Rik (possibly like Mitsoda) is not fun to work with.