• Empire of Sin
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • King Arthur II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
As promised, we have an update to our organizational changes on Bloodlines 2, read more here

Hi everyone,

Paradox Interactive and Hardsuit Labs have some important updates to share today. We recently shared that we were making some organizational changes to the Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 team, as promised, we will now give an update on what that means.

Lead Narrative Designer Brian Mitsoda and Creative Director Ka’ai Cluney are no longer part of the team at Hardsuit Labs. This was a joint decision made by the leadership of Hardsuit Labs and Paradox Interactive.

We appreciate, and value, the contributions of Brian and Ka’ai, which were instrumental in establishing the game's storyline and dark tone and have helped to ensure that we are making a true successor to the iconic Bloodlines. We wish them both the best in their future endeavors.

With that, we are excited to announce that Alexandre Mandryka has come aboard as Creative Consultant, filling the Creative Director role for Bloodlines 2, and will help us in the final stages of development. Alexandre is committed to following the vision that is in place, and successfully bringing Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 to the fans.

Alexandre has been in the industry for more than 20 years and has worked on iconic franchises such as Assassin’s Creed, Warhammer 40,000, Far Cry, and more. With a long history of shipping excellent franchises, we are excited with what Alexandre brings to the game and the World of Darkness.

These changes to the team are focused on one thing: to bring you the best possible Vampire: The Masquerade game. We will share further updates as they occur.

We thank you all for understanding.

• 2Like
Reactions:

badd

Second Lieutenant
26 Badges
Aug 11, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Prison Architect
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
Well, that's not good. Sadly, we have more and more signs pointing out that this game will not see the light of day, or flop. What a shame.
It could be not good. Or it could be good and Brian wasn't a good developer. Or maybe he left because of his own personal reasons and this means nothing for the game. It pointless to speculate. These things happen, people come and go.

Reactions:

WorldWarIV

Second Lieutenant
35 Badges
Jan 28, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Surviving Mars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
It could be not good. Or it could be good and Brian wasn't a good developer. Or maybe he left because of his own personal reasons and this means nothing for the game. It pointless to speculate. These things happen, people come and go.

I wish it could be true and that Vampire could become a massive success, but I've seen the signs too many times to be fooled again.

• 2Like
Reactions:

badd

Second Lieutenant
26 Badges
Aug 11, 2009
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Prison Architect
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
I wish it could be true and that Vampire could become a massive success, but I've seen the signs too many times to be fooled again.
Cyberpunk and CDPR had similar stories of senior devs leaving, and way earlier in development too. Does that mean Cyberpunk is in trouble? Who knows. Again, it's pointless to speculate. Judge the game when it comes out.

• 2Like
Reactions:

Andrei the Tzimisce

Second Lieutenant
On Probation
Jun 11, 2019
Here is Brian Mitsoda own statement:

“Until recently, I was the Narrative Lead on a videogame called Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines 2 for Hardsuit Labs, Inc being published by Paradox Interactive (which owns 30% of Hardsuit Labs). After almost five years involvement with the studio, I was suddenly terminated on 7/16/20.
That this came as a shock to me is underselling it. I’ve worked on Bloodlines 2 for almost five years. The story and main cast was initially conceived in my living room. I helped develop the pitch for Hardsuit Labs and helped pitch the project to Paradox in Las Vegas. I’ve been in charge of the narrative since the beginning, working long days and sometimes weekends to deliver a successor to Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and I’ve never been led to believe that I hadn’t succeeded. Very obviously, I have also been involved in the PR and marketing side of things, even though it was one of the most difficult parts for me. I’m a pretty private person – press and crowds tend to heavily trigger my social anxiety (which, if you’ve ever wondered about the gloves, they are “armor” that make me feel less exposed in situations that trigger my anxiety).
Bloodlines and the fandom of the game mean the world to me. So I lent my legacy with the franchise, my name, and my participation in marketing efforts for the game, even when it was intensely difficult and took a mental and physical toll. This is all because I wanted to do what was best for the game and the team.
The pride in the work, the fan expectations, and the support from co-workers who started out as fans kept me going through this long five years. And I’m incredibly disappointed and frustrated to say that this is where it ends for me on the project.
I was not part of the conversations that led to the decision to delay production, and to my knowledge, there were no delays caused by the Bloodlines 2 narrative development. I am confident and proud of the work that I and my team put forward. When that work will be seen and what form it will take is unknown to me.
It was a pleasure to work on this game and with many people at Hardsuit Labs and Paradox and I’m sorry I won’t be able to see it to the end. I spent years on some of the best characters and dialogue that I ever wrote. It’s meant a lot to hear from the Bloodlines community and I do hope that what’s finally delivered is as satisfying as I intended it to be. Thanks to all of you who supported me throughout the project.”

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...been-fired-as-narrative-lead-on-bloodlines-2/

• 4Like
Reactions:

WorldWarIV

Second Lieutenant
35 Badges
Jan 28, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Surviving Mars
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV
Cyberpunk and CDPR had similar stories of senior devs leaving, and way earlier in development too. Does that mean Cyberpunk is in trouble? Who knows. Again, it's pointless to speculate. Judge the game when it comes out.

Well, I'm not sure what's the point of a forum about an unreleased game if it's not to speculate. I will judge the game when it comes out, I won't however pre-order or buy on day 1 as I had bad experiences with Paradox and games that showed the same signs as this one.

Reactions:

badd

Second Lieutenant
26 Badges
Aug 11, 2009
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Prison Architect
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
I find it highly unlikely that Paradox would just fire him out of the blue for no reason. And his statement really doesn't say anything outside of "I worked hard on the game and it sucks it ended like that". So i feel like there must be more to the story than what is implied, that is evil Paradox firing Brian just because.

• 1Like
Reactions:

Phibs

Murifex maximus
101 Badges
Oct 22, 2012
  • 500k Club

“Until recently, I was the Narrative Lead on a videogame called Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines 2 for Hardsuit Labs, Inc being published by Paradox Interactive (which owns 30% of Hardsuit Labs). After almost five years involvement with the studio, I was suddenly terminated on 7/16/20.
That this came as a shock to me is underselling it. I’ve worked on Bloodlines 2 for almost five years. The story and main cast was initially conceived in my living room. I helped develop the pitch for Hardsuit Labs and helped pitch the project to Paradox in Las Vegas. I’ve been in charge of the narrative since the beginning, working long days and sometimes weekends to deliver a successor to Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, and I’ve never been led to believe that I hadn’t succeeded. Very obviously, I have also been involved in the PR and marketing side of things, even though it was one of the most difficult parts for me. I’m a pretty private person – press and crowds tend to heavily trigger my social anxiety (which, if you’ve ever wondered about the gloves, they are “armor” that make me feel less exposed in situations that trigger my anxiety).
Bloodlines and the fandom of the game mean the world to me. So I lent my legacy with the franchise, my name, and my participation in marketing efforts for the game, even when it was intensely difficult and took a mental and physical toll. This is all because I wanted to do what was best for the game and the team.
The pride in the work, the fan expectations, and the support from co-workers who started out as fans kept me going through this long five years. And I’m incredibly disappointed and frustrated to say that this is where it ends for me on the project.
I was not part of the conversations that led to the decision to delay production, and to my knowledge, there were no delays caused by the Bloodlines 2 narrative development. I am confident and proud of the work that I and my team put forward. When that work will be seen and what form it will take is unknown to me.
It was a pleasure to work on this game and with many people at Hardsuit Labs and Paradox and I’m sorry I won’t be able to see it to the end. I spent years on some of the best characters and dialogue that I ever wrote. It’s meant a lot to hear from the Bloodlines community and I do hope that what’s finally delivered is as satisfying as I intended it to be. Thanks to all of you who supported me throughout the project.”

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/20...been-fired-as-narrative-lead-on-bloodlines-2/

Ouch. :oops:

Reactions:

Andrei the Tzimisce

Second Lieutenant
On Probation
Jun 11, 2019
I find it highly unlikely that Paradox would just fire him out of the blue for no reason. And his statement really doesn't say anything outside of "I worked hard on the game and it sucks it ended like that". So i feel like there must be more to the story than what is implied, that is evil Paradox firing Brian just because.
Sorry i don´t believe that Brian Mitsoda is another Chris Avellone who has done some "bad".
Edit: Also if he really did something i don´t think he would have made this statement.

• 3Like
Reactions:

badd

Second Lieutenant
26 Badges
Aug 11, 2009
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Prison Architect
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
Sorry i don´t believe that Brian Mitsoda is another Chris Avellone who has done some "bad".
What anyone believes is irrelevant. Paradox have obviously invested a lot into the Vampire franchise. They want it to succeed. So they're not going to potentially sabotage VTMB2 for no particular reason. If they indeed fired him, they believed it was for the best. So they must've had some reason for doing so.

Reactions:

Luchs1

Private
Jun 3, 2020
What anyone believes is irrelevant. Paradox have obviously invested a lot into the Vampire franchise. They want it to succeed. So they're not going to potentially sabotage VTMB2 for no particular reason. If they indeed fired him, they believed it was for the best. So they must've had some reason for doing so.
I just honestly hope it has nothing to do with some sort of "agendas" they forced and he disagreed to ....

• 3Like
Reactions:

WorldWarIV

Second Lieutenant
35 Badges
Jan 28, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Surviving Mars
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Europa Universalis IV

After Emperor, Golden Century and Imperator Rome, I just won't believe that Paradox does what is best for its products.

• 3Like
Reactions:

Andrei the Tzimisce

Second Lieutenant
On Probation
Jun 11, 2019
Paradox used Brian Mitsoda for marketing. He was one of the biggest selling points.
"Written by Brian Mitsoda, the creative mind behind the original Bloodlines, Vampire: The Masquerade -
Bloodlines 2 reacts to your every choice in a narrative where different paths, and outcomes, abound. "

If he hadn´t done some shit like Avellone you won´t fire this guy.

Reactions:

badd

Second Lieutenant
26 Badges
Aug 11, 2009
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Prison Architect
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Stellaris
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV
If he hadn´t done some shit like Avellone you won´t fire this guy.
Why do you assume it has anything to do with Avellone? He could simply be a bad manager or something along those lines. And Paradox felt the games wasn't progressing as they wanted it to.

Reactions:

Sh4ark

Captain
54 Badges
Feb 7, 2018
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Victoria 2
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • War of the Roses
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne

Which means his termination makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I've been optimistic about the project ever since i heard of it but this is something i never anticipated nor does i bode well for it. Consider me concerned. The PDX and HSL leadership need to get it toghether. You don't just fire your star developer out of the blue like that....

• 2Like
Reactions:

zukodark

Court Necromancer
60 Badges
Sep 10, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Prison Architect
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Majesty 2 Collection
Very concerning, but it's hard to know how to react without knowing the full story. There must be some good reason for this, right? Something Mitsoda would not include in his statement. Otherwise, it isn't logical, and I'll lose all my respect for the studio. For now I'll wait and see.

Reactions:

Andrei the Tzimisce

Second Lieutenant
On Probation
Jun 11, 2019
Why do you assume it has anything to do with Avellone?
Because this would be the only exception where i can unterstand his termination.

He could simply be a bad manager or something along those lines. And Paradox felt the games wasn't progressing as they wanted it to.
First Brian Mitsoda was just the Native Lead Designer and second he again i repeating myself he was the face of Bloodlines 2.
Paradow were proud that they can use his involvment heavy for their marketing.
So no you don´t fire someone like Brian Mitsoda. But your arguments may be true for the lesser known Creative Director Ka’ai Cluney.

Reactions: