• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Jape said:
I've been reading along but only just realised I haven't commented. Great stuff seriously, as others have said 1930's Hells Kitchen Mobster Action is good enough for me, the writing quality only up the ante.

Thanks, glad you like it.

Sorry about not coming through on the promised update back on Monday. I lost power for awhile and when it came back on, I didn't have internet access again until after ten o'clock pm. Then I had to work double shifts the last two days and couldn't post it then either. Anyway, the update will finally be posted in a minute.

Chapter VI

Hell's Kitchen- July 1, 1931

Billy stood in the center of a large automotive repair shop along with several other men. The shop was one of many legitimate businesses that Billy operated in order to justify his income to the government and he had moved his headquarters there after the attempt on his life two weeks past. Despite the legitimate nature of the business, however, there was nothing legitimate about what was happening there today. The men with Billy were not mechanics, but some of his best men. They were men well accustomed to the rougher side of Billy's business dealings and were killers all. The table that they were gathered around normally would hold tools, but today held an assortment of weapons. Pistols of varying caliber as well as Thompsons and shotguns sawed-off for easier concealment were being checked over and loaded by practiced hands.

Earlier that morning one of Billy's informants had tipped him off that his enemy, Vincent Mangano, had emerged from his hideout and was en route to a meeting with some of his top lieutenants. When the informant was sure of the location of the meeting, he would call again. If Billy could get to the meeting fast enough, he could end the war right then by wiping out Mangano and the leadership of his organization. It would not be a minute too soon either. The war was going badly for Billy. He had lost three men during the attack on him and four others in the two weeks that followed. In addition, very few of his beer and liquor shipments out of Hell's Kitchen had made it to their destinations, which was extremely damaging in a financial sense.

Billy cast an impatient glance toward his back office where Joe was waiting by the phone. He was beginning to wonder if the call would ever come. If his informant had been spotted or was wrong about the meeting this could all be a big waste of time. No sooner had that thought crossed his mind than the sound of a ringing telephone could be heard coming from the office. Everyone fell silent and looked toward the office expectantly. A minute later, Joe emerged from the office and hurried over to the group. He handed Billy a slip of paper on which was written a Mulberry Street address and said, "It's a small restaurant. Mangano is there with his men now."

Billy jerked his head toward a waiting car and his men grabbed their weapons and piled into it. When Billy turned to follow them, Joe put a hand on his arm to stop him. Billy turned in surprise and Joe said, "It's too dangerous, Billy. Stay here and let the boys handle this."

Billy shook Joe's hand off and replied, "I can take care of myself. Besides, I don't ask my men to do anything that I'm not willing to do myself."

"Being willing to do it and actually doing it don't have to be the same thing."

Billy smiled at him and said, "You worry more than my Mother, Joe. We'll be back in no time at all. Just wait here for us alright?"

Joe nodded and Billy walked to the car and handed the paper that Joe had given him to the driver. He then climbed into the back seat and instructed the driver to get them underway. Joe watched the car drove off and shook his head. Billy might act confident, but the fact that he been left behind told a different story. Billy knew full well that he could be killed and had left Joe behind to continue the fight should that be the case. Joe turned and walked back to the office. All he could do was wait.

Mulberry St.- Little Italy

Billy and three of his men got out of the car across the street from the restaurant. When they had pulled up, Billy had been frustrated to see that it was impossible to tell whether or not Mangano was inside. However, judging from the grim-looking men guarding a back corner of the restaurant, someone of importance was inside. Billy decided to go in and hope that it turned out to Mangano. Even if it did only turn out to be one of his underlings, though, it still wouldn't be a wasted trip.

Billy and his men crossed farther down the street so that they would not be seen by the men inside. Once across, they approached the restaurant quickly and burst inside at a run. They made straight for the back corner and opened fire. It was a slaughter. The guards were cut down in the act of going for their weapons. Behind them at a corner table were three men, all of whom were staring wide-eyed at the four Irishmen approaching them. Billy and his men leveled their weapons at them and opened fire. Seconds later the three lay dead, one slumped over the table and the other two stretched out on the floor.

Billy walked over to them and looked down at the dead men. The two on the floor he didn't know. He grabbed the dead man slumped over the table by his blood-matted hair and pulled in order to reveal the face. Billy let out a low whistle and let go. Turning back to his men he said, "Let's get the hell out of here."

They ran out of the restaurant and jumped into their car and left the scene behind them. Once they had vacated the immediate area, Billy instructed his driver to drive slowly as to not attract any unnecessary attention. As a result, it was over an hour before they arrived back at the auto garage. When they pulled to a stop inside, Joe came running out of the office and asked, "How did it go?"

Billy smiled and responded, "Not too bad. Pretty damn good actually."

Joe noticed that the men that had accompanied Billy were now rushing into the office and carrying out various things and tossing them into the trunk of the car, seeming to be in quite a hurry. Joe watched them for a moment, confused. He asked Billy, "What is going on? Did you get Mangano?"

"Not exactly. I'll tell you everything that happened later. Right now we need to get out of here and find a new place to set up shop."

"Why?"

"Because Mangano might know that we've been operating out of here and he's going to be pissed as hell when he hears that I killed his brother."

Hardraade: ..."Because Mangano might know that we've been operating out of here and he's going to be pissed as hell when he hears that I killed his brother."

you got a full scale war ! ! :D

awesome update ! !
:cool:

ooh i love mob vengeance killings. cant wait to see mangano's reaction.

BritishImperial: I'll try to get that update ready as quickly as I can.

Enewald: I suppose that it wasn't very nice, but there isn't much room for nice guys in that particular business.

That was a big ol' mistake by Billy there. I think he might have just pulled the pin in the time-bomb. Full-scale war seems likely to come now...

he seems fairly happy with it.

Well sure the Italians will be out looking for vengeance now.. But remember..

St. Pat is still on Billy's side.. ;)

And no matter what, it's Hell's Kitchen.. Time to serve up the hot stuff.. ;)

robou: There is no doubt about that.

BritishImperial: Oh, he is very happy about it despite the difficulties that the killing is likely to bring about.

Jaspume: Thanks. Billy has basically turned the war into a very personal affair.

Doge Robert: Hopefully St. Pat will stick around for the long haul.

Just read through the first page Hardraade and need to catch up on the rest but that was clearly enough for me to pass the Weekly Showcase to your great work here. Head over and accept and enjoy the week. :D

Lots of action on it's way I think. Looking forward to see Billy's next move or the retaliation of Mangano. GREAT STUFF!

Wow! I heard about the story through the Showcase and just caught up.

You're doing a great job here: First, I think this is the first mob/gang war AAR. Second, you're doing a great job with characterization and scenery.

Billy gambled and...well, I think he's going to regret his rashness. It might be a real good idea for him to get his wife and son out of New York for awhile.

coz1: Thank you very much. I am truly honored.

robou: Thank you for the congratulations as well as all the support that you've shown along the way.

ShadowWarrior: Thanks. Some of Mangano's response will be shown in the next update.

CatKnight: Thanks, I'm glad that you're enjoying the story. I wasn't aware that no one had gone with this particular angle before. Billy's gamble was one that could have paid off big, but it's failure can only have dire consequences.

The next update is coming right up.