• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Royal marriages are hard to get in the middle of bad boy wars :/

but I'll look into that advisor, it's probably more usefull than the high judge I have now.

So... is this dead? That would make me sadface. Although, what's here already is a very good start.

I think that if anyone has time to take up the mantle of this, it would be a good idea. Rhadok seems to be incommunicado.

Wow. I just now noticed that the original author of the AAR was AWOL.

In addition, I managed to screw my EU3 Collector's edition with the NA, IN, HTTT and finally the "latest beta patch" manually copied and very unfortunately, did not see the instructions that said to not do the patch without backing up. Totally my fault. Now it hard crashes as soon as you hit PLAY on any date.

Pisses me off because I had a great game I was playing as Castile when I saw this AAR. Such is life. I guess it's time to uninstall then reinstall. I'm kind of skittish about that 4.1b beta, but I'm not seeing any reason for it to fail.

Any ideas on how I managed that? Notice above I was getting the wrong checksum. I did do a search and found instructions on deleting the map/cache files, starting, restarting, etc. and it's still FUBAR. Not a good night.

SOLVED...

OK... I see what I did: I installed the beta patch over a version 3.2 and not 4.0. When I went and reinstalled, applied my patch, and rebuilt maps/cache... good old HYTM appeared as the Checksum. It was a lot less painful than I thought.

Bumpage. I am a newcomer to EU3 and this AAR tutorial has been a great help in laying things out. I haven't even yet unpaused my first game! So much to take in. I am sorry that this was eventually abandoned, but even what's here is helpful.

Question. In chapter six, it says to "put that centralization slider towards the left." However, in-game that slider, nor any of the sliders in the Government tab, will move for me. Can anyone explain why?

Maybe you can't move it yet?

Thanks for your reply. I'm a total novice, so I'm still confused. In chapter six of this tutorial we are still at the very beginning of the game. We haven't unpaused, and we're still doing setup. The author instructs us to move the centralization slider to the left, and he means that we do it now, before starting/unpausing.

These policies can be changed once every 11 years, but that can be decreased when we change to a better government. Certain events give free slider movements. For now, centralization is the most important slider movement we can choose. So put that centralization slider towards the left. Now every slider movement can come with two negative effects and one positive. The centralization slider is the one exception, it only comes with negative events. National Ideas and the policy slider status both have a great deal of effect what kind of events your nation will receive, for better of worse. Now what did you get when you changed the slider?

But I can't. Should I be able to adjust this setting at the start of a game? If not, when can I? Is this a mistake in the tutorial?

You cannot drag the slider; you have to click on the arrow button to the left of it. :)

Thank you :cool:. (silly me for thinking a slider would slide)

However, I am only able to to click the arrow button one single click. At that point, I get messages: "Local Pretender Arises," "Our Fortress is Under Seige," and "A Revolt!." After clearing the messages, I cannot move that slider any further; the clickboxes are greyed out.

So, I still can't follow the tutorial's command to move Centralization all the way to the left. Its now just midway. Should I just press on?

The tutorial was a bit unclear: You can only move it one increment to the left/right at a time. After that, you have to wait for about a decade to move it again, barring exceptional circumstances. Take "all the way to the left" to mean "as far to the left as possible" here.

The tutorial was a bit unclear: You can only move it one increment to the left/right at a time. After that, you have to wait for about a decade to move it again, barring exceptional circumstances. Take "all the way to the left" to mean "as far to the left as possible" here.

Thanks! I've got a lot to learn, obviously :D.

Looking forward to unpausing at some point :eek:. Onward......

Wondering if the tutorial could be transferred to DW?

Personally, I don't have the time to do it in the near future, but if someone else wants help to do it, I can provide support.

I might do it in a couple of months with RL stops going crazy and I get further in my two other AAR's.

I'd be very interested in seeing this tutorial AAR continued. It was just getting to the part that I'm most interested in seeing: how all of the various factors affect combat. For me, the economics aspect seemed easy enough to figure out, but I keep getting handed my posterior on a plate in just about every engagement. Even when I've got numerical superiority (giving me overlaps on both flanks with Cavalry), a leader with positive traits, full supply for a couple of months, morale at its maximum, and terrain working in my favor instead of against, my troops seem to take excessive casualties compared to the opponents. I win often enough, but the after combat report shows me with (for instance) -548 Cavalry versus -723 and -1736 infantry versus -929. The cavalry on the flanks take almost no losses, but everything else in between (cavalry and infantry) gets hammered.

The tutorial's bias against minting seems to be excessive. As pointed out, Inflation is a big negative, but if you can mint a bit and still keep inflation in the low negatives, it seems like a wasted opportunity for free Ducats. About 20-25 years into the game, I discovered the statistics charts, and noticed that my country was the ONLY one to have 0 inflation over that period, while I was typically getting about 1.0-1.5 Ducats a month out of it nearly the entire time.

[ After a few more days of checking, I've come to the conclusion that excessive minting will seriously impact your research budget over time. Doing a small bit of it while Ducats are in short supply definitely beats taking a loan, and it can help you afford a few nifty buildings or other long-term improvements that may prove more useful than a few extra research points. When you've got a positive end-of-year cash flow already, it should probably be avoided or kept to a minimum. In short, he's right, to a degree. ]

Otherwise, it's been very informative to see not just WHAT is being done, but WHY.

Last edited: