• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yes, sometimes it is better off without obligations. A bitter pill though for the pround Sicilians to swallow.

That whole incident with the Romans is so typically Roman. They come in ostensibly at another party's behest, bluster menacingly, and intimidate their target into giving up a bit of land without having to actually lift a finger, and all the while their rivals end up weakening one another. I have to give props to whatever conniving pater conscriptus thought up that scheme.

well... not seeing an united Magna Grecia in the next few years

The other option aside from unifying the greeks wpuld be conquering all of carthage. But...well, that didn't help Carthage win against the romans so why should it help you?

That's an avenue of expansion closed. You'll need to find others before your neighbors become able to compete on the seas.

I doubt we were ever going to beat rome and the others that early though. Good in a way that we aren't delusional about that anymore

Thanks to a slow work day yesterday I managed to read fully from first post to most recent. Always wondered what a 'History Book' style AAR actually looked like and I have to say I like it very, very much.

I suppose, at least, while the wars didn't end in victories they didn't end in defeats and have given Sicily training in larger scale combat.

Rather than strike direct at Carthage perhaps look south and the lands in Emporia and Tripolitania? Emporia particularly would yield excess salt and some wood, allowing you to strengthen both forts and fleets. Likely Carthage holds them as overlord and would have logistical issues in moving to defend them if you attack, their loss I imagine would undoubtedly weaken Carthage in both the short and long term.

I suppose, at least, while the wars didn't end in victories they didn't end in defeats and have given Sicily training in larger scale combat.

Spin doctoring at its finest.

Rather than strike direct at Carthage perhaps look south and the lands in Emporia and Tripolitania? Emporia particularly would yield excess salt and some wood, allowing you to strengthen both forts and fleets. Likely Carthage holds them as overlord and would have logistical issues in moving to defend them if you attack, their loss I imagine would undoubtedly weaken Carthage in both the short and long term.

Ok so we have the three options of expansion:

1) Take Carthage's islands. I doubt we can beat them on land but if we crush them at sea, we should be able to overwhelm their island bases. Doubt we can take much more than that though.
2) Go after African minors and pray Carthage/Egypt doesn't get involved for whatever reason. Basically this would probably mean allying with Carthage, which means we'd have to get their islands first and be really careful if and when Rome declares war on them.
3) Go after Greek states. This makes sense for a number of reasons. First, they can't fight back very well because we have a better navy. Second, Rome is going to come after them soon regardless and we don't want them getting any stronger (especially because they'd need to build a navy in order to do it).

The general idea is, we want to control as much of the sea as possible but don't want to weaken Carthage too much, because Rome is coming for both of us.

If you can beat Carthage's fleet ... then the 3 southern cities of Sardinia should have an ridiculous amount of population.

I am afraid I have some bad news. Last Thursday my computer broke. It didn't explode or catch fire so i have some hope of it working again - or a minimum retrieve the files from it - but for the moment I am completely unable to get at my games.

I had hoped to have this problem dealt with quickly, but the computer expert won't be available until sometime next week so at an absolute minimum it will be next Monday before I even know if I can continue. I'm semi-optimistic but I've got to admit it is incredibly frustrating being stuck in Limbo like this. Anyway my apologies guys and I'll keep you posted.

Well that is a blow. I hope you manage to restore it.

I am afraid I have some bad news. Last Thursday my computer broke. It didn't explode or catch fire so i have some hope of it working again - or a minimum retrieve the files from it - but for the moment I am completely unable to get at my games.

I had hoped to have this problem dealt with quickly, but the computer expert won't be available until sometime next week so at an absolute minimum it will be next Monday before I even know if I can continue. I'm semi-optimistic but I've got to admit it is incredibly frustrating being stuck in Limbo like this. Anyway my apologies guys and I'll keep you posted.
Damn - it’s irritating when that happens. Having been burned before, I now keep copies of all my AAR game save files on a second pc hard drive, a thumb drive and backed up weekly on a detachable hard drive! And the programs all on a laptop - just in case. :eek: Hope it all turns out ok. :)

Damn - it’s irritating when that happens. Having been burned before, I now keep copies of all my AAR game save files on a second pc hard drive, a thumb drive and backed up weekly on a detachable hard drive! And the programs all on a laptop - just in case. :eek: Hope it all turns out ok. :)

Someone has too much time on their hands...
I prefer stone tablets myself. Built to last.

That is a shame. I hope you can resume the AARs as soon as possible.

That’s unfortunate! Hope the repair man can fix it.

Thank you for your patience guys.

So the bad news is that I've gotten a new computer. Its not completely impossible that I'll be able to get my old files via an external hard drive (I'm very much not a tech guy so I need the computer guy to get back to me) but realistically this AAR probably isn't continuing. Sorry guys. :(

The good news is that I have a new computer, of much better quality than the old. This means I will be able to play and write again so I intend to start a new AAR. I'll be thinking on what to start up over the next few days but I am eager to get back into the writing. If anyone has any thoughts please feel free to make suggestions be it for Imperator or another title.

Sad news :(

But onwards and upwards to new adventures! Excited to follow your next project!

Sad news, but the silver-lining as you say is a brand spanking new PC plus any new AAR would be in v1.1 which seems to definite upgrade on the release version.

Excited to read your new work.