• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Webstantine

Colonel
4 Badges
May 10, 2013
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV
An Auverl Plan

Okay guys, this AAR's the one; this is where I make my EU3 fame. I'm going to be playing as Auvergne which is a vassal of France, admittedly not the hardest - in fact probably the easiest but it's good enough okay. So my rules are number one, no treaties or agreements of any kind with France - that's all the rules. As for targets the main aim of this AAR is to wipe out France myself as Auvergne but afterwards I might move on south to Iberia or east into Burgundy (if it's still around). Hope you enjoy, I have high hopes for this one.

Contents:

Duchess Jeanne II d'Auvergne
Intro - Below
Charles's Return
The First One Bites The Dust
The New King
Religious Tension
A More Direct Approach
Escaping the French
The Colony

Duchess Marguerite I d'Auvergne
Further Expansion
The Far South
The Even Further South

Introduction​

Charles VI de Valois stormed through the city square of the Auvergne capital Clermont, Duchess Jeanne II was there shopping with her daughter Marie when she heard the all too familiar footsteps of the French king. She turned around to see him walking towards her, frightened she squeaked "Hello Ch-Charles."
"Hello again Jeanne, I hope you've reconsidered my offer of an alliance." he shouted although he was so close Jeanne could feel his breath.
"N-No sir, give us a fort-night p-p-lease?
"JEANNE, YOU'VE HAD MANY FORTNIGHTS." he screamed, spit flying into Jeanne's face.
"Sor-rry Duk... King, we've been busy."
"You're out shopping Jeanne - not busy, do I need to deal with you as I dealt with your husband?"
This was the final cracking point in Jeanne and she burst into tears in the middle of town dropping all her shopping everywhere, Charles just waited for her to stop and Marie ran in to comfort her mother whilst staring back at the king; this sort of thing happened every fortnight in Auvergne.
"Have you stopped crying now Jeanne? We still have this to discuss" taunted Charles.
"I-I'm fine." Jeanne stuttered back.
"Oh for Christ's sake, I'll be back in a fortnight you stupid woman." shouted Charles and he stormed off.
People around the square either moved in to help Jeanne gather up her shopping or moved away and quietly discussed what had happened, it was nothing new to the citizens.

"Mother we have to prepare for the arrival of the king in fourteen days" said Marie as they arrived home.
"What's the point, we always walk away with a fortnight anyway."
"He's getting worse, we need to think about this."
"We accept, he leaves, job done."
"I thought you wanted to honour father's wishes of disregard for France."
"Okay, what's the plan?"
Marie pulled a map from some drawers and laid it down.

0VbsMLf.png

"Here's our nation, you probably already know this" said Marie.
Jeanne chuckled "Of course, it's mine remember."
"It's split in two and one half is on the sea coast, the other half is the capital."
"What's your point Marie?"
"If we can get enough money to move to Poitou we will be able to go and colonise undiscovered parts of the world and return for France" explained Marie.
"That's all well and good, but what do we do in the short term?"
"We decline the King's offer."
"He'll attack us!"
"No he won't, remember all other nations are still under the impression he's a nice guy and he wouldn't risk losing that reputation through attacking a vassal."
"Clever, Marie, very clever. I'll get started on raising 1,000 ducats for the move right away."
Jeanne walked away and Marie got out another map:

DUnPMDB.jpg

Here she could see France and all 6 other vassals. Alencon, Orleans and Berry were all owned by other de Valois' and were good friends with the king, Provence was also a de Valois but was not a vassal of France but was in a union with Naples in Italy. The other three vassals: Foix, Armagnac and Bourbon were all ruled by rulers of the same name as the nation like d'Auvergne was.

The plans had been laid and now only time would be the limit on Auvergne's revenge on the French.

Last edited:
This should be fun! I do hope Auvergne enjoys a better fate than your other AARs.

Charles's Return

"I've started making steps towards centralisation Mother." said Marie, "It's going well but-"
"I know, the stability of Auvergne has lowered, don't worry about it, we're so small it recovers almost instantly Marie."

sdihTUd.png

"Oh okay, how's the money raising going then?"
"I'm trying to set up trade, I don't think trading is the way to go."
"Why?"
"I've spent more money on sending merchants then any return what-so-ever."

b8iobUt.png

"Well that's a shame, we'll have to figure something out."
"Indeed."
A diplomat arrived at the door, "Hello your royal highnesses, the citizens of Clermont have decided to send some money to help the government!"
"Well that's nice of them!" replied Jeanne, "We'll invest it in research."

w6V8V3n.png

Suddenly a loud knock was heard, the diplomat muttered, "it's Charles." before scuttering away.
"Mother, remember to stay calm, don't give in to his taunts."
"I'll try Marie."
"Deny his "offer" Mother."
Jeanne walked to the door and opened it, Charles stood looking angrier than ever, "Hello Jeanne, glad we're not in the middle of town this time, there's no getting away now." he was spitting everywhere as always.
"Fine then Charles, what is it?"
He calmed a bit, "Jeanne, let's be allies then, let's stop this."
"What would we gain from the alliance then Charles?"
His face contorted again, "YOU GET OUR PROTECTION!"
Jeanne was using all her courage now, "you already give us that as we're a vassal."
Charles growled and realised something had changed, "Getting a bit rebellious are we Jeanne?"
"No, what I say is true, you made us a vassal not to be a caring overlord but to get cheap troops."
"YES IT'S TRUE, BUT WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT JEANNE?"
"De- Decline your offer." she stuttered, Marie gave an approving nod over Charles's shoulder.
Charles's face changed to a state of confusion "What? What makes you different from the other vassals?"
"We're the biggest, and we have a port." Jeanne was careful not to give away the plan.
"You may be the biggest but your an ant compared to France. Never cross me again Jeanne, so will you be my ally?"
"No, stop asking." Jeanne seemed to have deflated the king's 'enthusiasm'.
"I will continue to ask Jeanne, and you will accept when you see the truth, goodbye."
He turned and walked to the door, slamming it on the way out.

7x796eA.png

"Could've gone worse I guess" Jeanne turned back to Marie.
"Well done Mother, he's not done though."
"Well either way we're not joining any alliance so we can save money by disbanding the army!"
"Good idea Mother, it's obsolete without any wars."

TVTPhRW.png

Jeanne was working on new ideas for a money raising scheme when a Genoese diplomat arrived, "Hello, are you the Duchess Jeanne?" he asked Jeanne.
"Yes, you are?" inquired Jeanne, wary of a Frenchman.
"I am Santino Signore, I am from Genoa!" he said enthusiastically.
"Oh greetings! Sorry I doubted you I thought you were French!"
"I heard rumours about the French king in Clermont."
"All true I'm afraid, but don't tell anyone; his reputation staying good is all that keeps us allowed to be here. So what are you here for?"
"I'm sent by the Doge to ask you to join our trade league, and if you accept I'm expected to stay behind and help Auvergne."
"Do you think we could raise 1,000 ducats before about 1450?"
"I think we could with help from Genoa!"
"Then I accept, pleased to have you here Santino."

KMxqGtI.png

Jeanne introduced Santino to Marie and they all started to discuss the money raising, "So what's the plan Genoa guy." asked Marie.
Santino smiled, "We have to make Auvergne a cultural capital by creating paintings and tapestries!"
"Okay then, what next?"
"We'll cross that bridge later."
Marie went and asked for volunteers in Clermont to paint or sew a tapestry, many people were eager to help after hearing about Jeanne's take-down of Charles.

EPAdJ3V.png

Jeanne walked in, "Okay I can officially say, trade doesn't work."
"It does if it's in Liguria." joked Santino.
"Well it was in Antwerpen so that explains it."

QufQNPD.png

"Now in other news France just annexed Provence in a war." Jeanne sighed.
"Oh dear, France must be getting strong then Mother?" asked Marie.
"It's only Naples they beat dear."
"Wait they beat an Italian?" asked Santino with a pretend panicked look on his face before laughing.

Z5Dfvt0.png

Merely a few weeks had passed since Charles's last visit, but his loud knock was heard again, "Come in!" shouted Santino.
"For goodness sake Santino, it's Charles." mumbled Jeanne.
"Don't worry your Highness, I've got this." and Santino ran to greet the French king.
"Who the hell are you?" Charles growled.
"I'm Santino Signore, I'm helping around the place!"
"Can't Jeanne even be bothered to greet me herself?"
"The Duchess is busy sir!"
"No she bloody isn't, I can see her eating biscuits over there." he pointed through the doorway.
"No you can't," Santino moved in front, "So what do you want sir?"
Charles rolled his eyes, "FINE!" he screamed, "I'LL SPEAK TO THIS ITALIAN INSTEAD THEN JEANNE!"
"THANK YOU!" Jeanne screamed back, Charles looked hurt that his taunt failed.
"So what do you want Charles?"
"I'm adding Auvergne to the French sphere of influence."
"Is that all, we're very busy round here."
Charles scoffed, "Doing what, you have no wars to fight."
"Money things." Santino smiled at the king.
"You insufferable lot, BYE JEANNE!" the king turned and left the room.

nCkRLKP.png

A few days later a woman from Orleans arrived to speak with Jeanne, "Hello Duchess!"
"Who are you?" She recognised a French accent and her eyes narrowed.
"I'm Alexia Belrose, I'm here to arrange a royal marriage with Orleans."
"Are you sure?" she could smell a spy.
"Yes I'm here to arrange-"
Santino entered, "Who's this Jeanne?" He inquired.
"I'm not sure, possibly a spy."
Alexia looked surprised, "A spy, from where?"
"France." Santino interjected.
"Ah, I heard Jeanne and Charles aren't good friends, but I'm not a spy, I'm from Orleans for a royal marriage with the d'Auvergnes."
"I believe her Jeanne." said Santino.
"Of course you do, anything from a pretty woman you'll believe. But okay, we'll accept!"
"Great, shall I return as the Orleans-Auvergne relations officer like I was told?" asked Alexia.
"See I said she was a-" Jeanne was cut off by Santino.
"Of course, we always like new people!"

Ag3Kow2.png

Alexia returned as she said, Jeanne sent her on various missions around France to try and prove she was a spy but she proved her loyalty, "Berry's accepted the offer of marriage your Highness!"
"Oh, you're back." sighed Jeanne, "Well I guess you're not a spy then."
"Nope!"

VD8piki.png

Santino's plan for money was going well, all the paintings done by the citizens were to be displayed in a great gallery along with the complete Auvergne tapestry, they were to be auctioned off to all the rich and powerful advisors to various royal families around Europe.

baQ8ij2.png

Many arrived and bought paintings promising to pay in a year's time.

3B2Yqz1.png

"Okay that's done Santino" Marie said, she was the host for the auction.
"It was a good plan right? Of course right."
"We haven't recieved anything yet so don't start showing off yet."
Jeanne walked in with Alexia following behind, she did that to prove her loyalty but Jeanne thought she was "getting inside info from the Duchess." Jeanne shouted out "I've had an idea!"
"Just the one?" said Santino, "Okay, what is it?"
"Bureaucracy to increase taxes, the taxes can help with raising money."
"Rising taxes, ingenious I'm sure." joked Marie.
"Shut up, it'll work."

MpyQglc.png

Ducat Count: 89​

Last edited:
Oh, I see what you're doing, you'll sell off your advisors as slaves! Easy money.
But aren't you worried the French will be eventually pissed off at you?

Yes the French hate me, but the AI never let's its vassals go or attacks them, I think I'll be fine. Though France is the kind of country that as soon as you cancel vassalisation they attack you unless they're in a war already. And yes I'm an advisor slave driver! If anyone wants a character please PM me about it, I need more characters and creating them all myself is boring; I will need: Nationality is a must, age, name, bad or good character and the job, only the nationality is needed but the rest are appreciated!

Yes the French hate me, but the AI never let's its vassals go or attacks them, I think I'll be fine. Though France is the kind of country that as soon as you cancel vassalisation they attack you unless they're in a war already. And yes I'm an advisor slave driver! If anyone wants a character please PM me about it, I need more characters and creating them all myself is boring; I will need: Nationality is a must, age, name, bad or good character and the job, only the nationality is needed but the rest are appreciated!

In what capacity do the characters function? In the court? Representing an AI nation? I ask because it alters how I will create one. But I will create one with some detail. :)

Well I want a few more court people, but if you want a bad character they'd be similar to Charles in representing the country or you can choose how they're represented if you want a bad character who seems good or something. Good characters can also represent countries like Santino represents Genoa who is Auvergne's closest thing to an ally.

Well I want a few more court people, but if you want a bad character they'd be similar to Charles in representing the country or you can choose how they're represented if you want a bad character who seems good or something. Good characters can also represent countries like Santino represents Genoa who is Auvergne's closest thing to an ally.

Okay here's what I am thinking to start:

Name: Alec Finnegan
Origin: Scotland
Social Status: Son of landed nobleman who is on good terms with the Scottish royal family.
Background: Son of Alistair Finnegan, owner of several granaries and mills, sent to further his education in the arts as well as in production technology. Alec's family is well connected to Scottish nobility and on good terms with the royal family which is interested in self-preservation in the wake of a militarist, expanding England. He has affinity for other Celtic nations fighting England (the Irish OPMs). Alec's father, Alistair, feels a strong sense of partnership and solidarity with the French people though not as much with the King of France who he has come to distrust significantly in recent years. As a result, Alec was sent to Auvergne instead of Paris to hone his education and make strong friendships with the local court.
Religion: Catholic, not overly devout
Languages: Gaelic, English, French
Personality: Curious, Introverted, Blunt and standoffish at times, not overly aggressive.

Let me know if you want more details. :)

The First One Bites The Dust​

Jeanne and Santino were sitting perfecting the Bureaucracy when Marie interrupted, "Mother I don't think your bureaucracy is working."
"Okay so it's having a rough start." Jeanne admitted.
"This economy slump is estimated to last 6 months!"
"We still have forty years to go! Don't worry."

aABnyn8.png

A knock was heard at the door, "I'll get it!" Alexia enthusiastically ran to the door.
Charles walked through, "Where's Jeanne?" he grunted.
"She's busy at the moment, can I take a message?"
"Not another annoying one of you people, I'll speak to Jeanne herself."
Charles pushed Alexia out of the way and was met by Santino, "Hello again king, good to see you!"
"Oh not the Italian, look just bring me Jeanne." Charles was getting angry.
"Oh she's a bit busy with economy stuff, sorry."
Charles lost it and charged at Santino head first and knocked him over. "JEANNE."
"Oh you got in." she sighed. "I'm afraid the anwser's still no, and it will be every time."
"I'M NOT ACCEPTING NO." he roared.
For the first time Jeanne felt anger instead of fear towards the king, "QUIT BEING SO SELF-ENTITLED, WE'RE A COUNTRY THAT MAKES IT'S OWN DESICIONS. YOU ALREADY TAKE HALF OF OUR MONEY, WE'RE NOT GIVING ANY MORE."
The king backed down but still had anger in his eyes, "Jeanne, I curse you that you will out live your daughter, Marie will never be duchess." The king walked out the room calmly and victoriously.

a6jJMAO.jpg

"Does he think he's a wizard or something?" asked Santino as he and Alexia entered the room again.
"I don't even know what that was Santino." chuckled Jeanne, "What's that letter Santino?"
"I found it on the way back in, here." Santino handed Jeanne the letter.
"It's the money from the auction, about 100 ducats were raised!"

GmrZXB3.png

U4DFlfG.png

Another knock was heard at the door, Alexia and Santino both sprang up again, "Hello?" Alexia wasn't sure but there seemed to be a man in a skirt at the door.
"Hello there, I'm Alec. May I speak to the Queen?" he spoke in a Breton sounding French accent but different.
"Well we don't have a queen but there's a duchess, Santino, see if she'll see him."
Santino went over to Jeanne and she agreed to let the man in, "You can enter then." said Alexia.
Jeanne looked up, "Why you wearing a skirt boy?" she asked, always wary of new people.
"It's a kilt your highness." Alec looked slightly hurt but sat down on one of the armchairs.
"Ah, so your from Scotland, why you here in Clermont then?" asked Jeanne.
"Well I was originally in Alencon, but last week they were annexed by the French and I came here through my back-up orders."
Jeanne was caught by surprise, "What?!"

pnspnVO.png

"Let me explain from the beginning; my father, Alistair Finnegan - head of the Finnegan business, sent me here to Alencon for my education in Fine Arts and Production and also to make a Finnegan relation with the French. If Alencon wouldn't accept me I was to move and try another of France's vassals."
"So why not the French court, us vassals can't help you much."
"Dad doesn't like Charles VI after a branch of Finnegan granaries in France were seized illegally by him."
Jeanne laughed, "Seems like him!"
"Oh I heard about you, your the vassal that refuses to be allies with Charles!"
Jeanne nodded, "So what do you want here then?"
"I want to stay here, have my education and to forge a bond between Auvergne and Scotland."
"You won't cost too much will you?"
"I'll pay for my self if it's a problem."
"Thank you, let's just say that us in Auvergne have a project needing lots of money."

"Jeanne, I have an idea! I call it 'Cessation of Church Funtions"." Alexia said proudly.
"What does that mean?"
"We give the nobles power over church lands if they pay us money."
"Sounds workable, I pass this."

nF77Pe5.png

Jeanne was in an important meeting with the Aristocrats of Auvergne (AA), she hoped she could get them as an ally in the fund raising. "So you say with the money you will get to new areas with money?"
"I believe so. You will be able to get so much money from these new lands, and even if you don't do it for patriotism."
"I don't think Auvergne really has much to be patriotic about."
"It has it's future."
"Okay, and how much money did you say you needed?"
"1,000 ducats."
The AA got into a huddle and discussed stuff for a while, Jeanne was getting nervous. "We will pay a tenth of the money, if the promised land comes you owe us nothing."
"And if not?"
"We will expect repayment with 4% interest."
"Thank you." Jeanne had a lot riding on land she didn't know was there.

WMg39bA.png

"Okay mother I was proven wrong, the bureaucracy is working."
"I told you, besides the tax increase is good enough anyway."

xWvcsRx.png

Santino entered, he had just been to Genoa, "Good news Jeanne!"
"What?"
"The Doge after hearing you were raising money decided to help with a trade station being built in Poitou."
"Great, send our thanks!"

EKE8xsx.png

Alexia had been put in charge of the auctions to keep her busy from 'spying', "So Alec you're an arts man, would you say we're ready for another auction?"
Alec looked around at all the paintings, "I guess so, this is a lot of paintings, who does them?"
"Just anyone really, the people of Clermont do it to help the duchess."

xhRVLlD.png

"That's amazing people will do that!"
"Well it's either this or back to when Charles stormed the streets every other week looking for Jeanne."
"So when's the auction?"
"This afternoon, we don't have long to raise the money! Can you help he carry these out to the Auction then."
"Sure." Alec and Alexia set up the Auction and many turned up and paid on the spot this time.

LQcNzgn.png

Santino was done counting the proceeds, "So duchess, guess our treasury total now!"
"200, 300 maybe?" Jeanne guessed.
"Nope higher!"
"400!" Jeanne was surprised.
"Still higher, 438, almost halfway!"
"Excellent, we got a quarter from the AA though."
"Don't be a pessimist duchess." said Alexia, "We're on the right tracks."

to8jBh9.png

Ducat Count: 438​

Last edited: