• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Escaping the French​

"The English are doing well Miss Vergne" Wenzeslaus was still advisor sadly.
"How well?" asked Jeanne.
"They have got past the walls of Paris itself."
"This is great news! England will weaken France for us."
"Yes sir."

yC3JYZP.png

"The peace was made yesterday Miss Vergne."
"What was taken?"
"Normandie, Caux, Armagnac and Bearn were taken by England."
"Is that all?"
"France also gave 25 ducats and has stopped seeing Calais and Labourd as part of their nation."
"Very good, that'll prevent future expansion then!"

ldxBaJI.png

"We've done it Joan! We've crossed 1,000! Bless the anchovies!" Barranda was back from the treasury it seemed.
"Excellent, now I can move to Poitiers and leave you madmen behind."
"We have to come too, we're your prisoners."
"I'm offering you freedom."
"I have to stay."
"Well okay, come with me."

TMUDS61.png

wCfQOw2.png

"Jeanne your here!" Alec was standing outside Poitiers about a mile down the road.
"Why are you so far away?"
"We have to make sure you get in safe, Lukas and his Stalinski cult are still around."
"He doesn't give up does he? Let's go then."
The four people set off for Poitiers.

"Jeanne, we had the national idea changed to Quest for the new world." Alexia was the only one there, Alec had left again at the gate.
"Great, when can we leave?"
"Well you won't be going I hope but when the conquistador and the army are ready to go."
"Great!"

K8yuUiG.png

Mm4rHPq.png

"A man named Charles d'Humierés is the conquistador, where's the first location?
"There's a small area off the coast of Portugal that seems to have some islands we can have."
"I'll send him straight away, good luck Jeanne."

c6C9aCp.png

"There are 100 people here Jeanne, they all agree to be the first to leave Europe."
"Where are they?"
"Look outside, they're expecting a speech."
"I can't do speeches though. I'm 114."
"Well try."
Jeanne walked to the balcony and looked out, 100 men and women stood below, "Hello people of the first Auvergnac colony, today you'll be leaving everything you have in France behind and leaving for some islands you know nothing about. I can't blame you for wanting to go; we of Auvergne are just a small collection of towns in the middle of the massive France, through volunteering yourselves for this you will be ensuring the continuation of the Auvergnac peoples existence as a country. We are a country even if the maps of other royal courts list us as a part of France, we'll show them that we're the true France. I would go with you but as an 114 year old woman I doubt I'd be much help with setting up the town there, I hope it's nice there for you and goodbye. Good luck!" Jeanne walked away from the balcony, the people below cheered ant made their way to the lone cog Auvergne owned and set sale for The Azores.

AU6L8L2.png

The Colony

"Jeanne, I have bad news." said Ansgar.
"What?"
"The duchy of Berry has been annexed into France, only us and Bourbon remain.
"Oh dear, now we will have to go through France to get to Clermont."
"Clermont is left to it's own devices now Jeanne. Poitiers is the capital now."
"We may still have to send aid if Stalinski get's there."

EabmgPP.png

"Leonidas wanted to see you about him. Leo was on the boat protecting the colonists."
"I hope nothing happened to them."
"No, Leo was there, he protected them."
"Bring him in."
"No reason, already here duchess." Leonidas walked through the door. "The trip went well, it was the trip back that was a problem."
"What happened?"
"Mysterious black winds and gigantic monsters chased us through the ocean, it was like something straight from The Odessey. After a few weeks of running we got stuck in an area where no wind blew, we had to row our way out. We managed to get back to The Azores though and I swam home instead."
"You swam?"
"Yes, now if it's any consolation Gour de Tazenat, our boat is safe and many new areas of sea were discovered. Also we think we saw a new continent to the north."
"So no losses then, it's all fine then!"
"They are safe Ma'am."

FjOdWxM.png

"I want you to take Gour de Tazenat and look to the north and find the land you think you saw."
"It'll be dangerous."
"You don't strike me as the kind of guy who cares about danger."
"That's true, I'll set off for The Azores immediately, have you got a seaside window?"
"The balcony."
Leonidas leapt off the balcony and dove into the sea and swam off into the distance, "So he really did swim then."
"I wouldn't put it past him Jeanne."

"We have a letter from Leo Jeanne." Ansgar was the only sane guy in the castle to be an advisor, "He's discovered the coastline of a new continent "Bigger than Europe"."
"Excellent, soon it will all be ours! Send a letter back asking him to search for good spots to place our new capital."
"Will do that."

lTzFiVo.png

"The colony in The Azores has reached 500."
"Half way to what we need!"
"Exactly, more colonists are being sent. There have been no more sea incidents."
"Very good, it might put people off going."

d9LkeFB.png

"Ansgar, as it's my 120th birthday today I'm beginning to think I've ruled to long."
"A ruler rules until they die duchess."
"But will I even die, maybe Charles's curse didn't work out properly and I'm immortal. He said I'd outlive Marie, I've done that, why am I still here?"
"Okay so it's true you're the oldest woman in Europe and the known world, but it could be a coincedence."
"Well today I'm going to abdicate, Marguerite is my heir."
"Can you at least stay until she's old enough?"
"I'll be the regent for her of course. It's not normal for me to be 120 and still completely sane."
"Very well, I'll deliver the news to Auvergne and Marguerite."

olvWY5i.png

"Duchess, um... whatever your title is now."
"Just say Jeanne or if you want to be fancy, Lady d'Auvergne. What is it Ansgar?"
"Well the last colonist reached the Azores safely, they are now self-sustaining!"
"Great, tell Leonidas to find other lands we can colonise."
"Yes my lady."

IONRV3E.png

"More great news Jeanne! Guess who the new Holy Roman Emperor is?"
"Burgundy?"
"Yep!"
"Excellent! France is done for now!"
"It's great!"

GW6uIQq.png

Further Expansion​

"Leo has sent another letter from Gour de Tazenat."
"What's he found?"
"Some more islands, they're off the coast of Algiers, here's a map."

ui3wMhJ.png

"And also another little one more north, he says it's very nice there."
"I'm sure, tell him to stop treating it like a holiday and to continue down the coast of Africa, there may be more."
"Will do, I can't actually write though."

LgoBgKL.png

"I've sent another group of colonists down to The Canaries, they reached safely."
"Where are the rest of the royal court?"
"Well Leo is away, Alexia, Alec and Santino are out fighting the Old gods war in Poitou's countryside and unless you want Barranda back it's just me."
"It's fine Ansgar, we're a team."
"Do we need a secret handshake?"
"Better I'm making you the first knight of the Order of Auvergne."
"What is this, what do we do?"
"Well I found Charles's old book about how he learnt magic, we're going to find out how to use it and take down Stalinski."
"Sounds fun, I'm in."

HTJlZWG.png

"Jeanne, the people of The Canaries wanted to tell you that the area around is perfect for fishing."
"Great, send them a load of fishing rods, we can profit from this new hobby by selling the fish."
"Typical Jeanne." Ansgar muttered.

PbkyviC.png

"There's a man here to see you, he has the French crown so I'd guess he's the new king, wonder what happened to François and his friend Laverne, I liked them."
"They were more bearable then the other kings for sure, send in this man."
A man entered, "Hello Jeanne, I am Henri, the son of François."
"What do you want from us in your reign? Are you going to terrorise like Charles, murder our citizens like Joachim or give us brandy like your father?"
"We can just be friends, France has no plan's for expansion into Auvergnac territory." He left.
"I think he's lying Jeanne."
"Most probably wants us to do colonising for them before we get annexed."

XJGOhn4.png

"Marguerite is old enough now Ansgar, our new duchess is here, me and you are to become advisors to her."
"That is right, so this is what I get? An ancient lady and a Swede." Marguerite walked in.
"You underestimate us, and the other option is Barranda and Wenzeslaus, they're not the most sane, I know from my days as duchess."
"Hello duchess." said Ansgar to show he spoke French.
"I do underestimate you Jeanne, I know of all the great things you've done, the money-raising, moving to Poitiers, turning down everything ever offered by the French king, and finally discovering the new world, who would have thought the first country to discover the new world would be one no-one's heard of?"
"I hope you'll continue turning down offers from France."
"I will, I don't think I'll be able to do nearly as many controversial things as you, mostly because you've done them all."

EGLKZQY.png

"To start off I've sent a colony to Madeira."
"But the one in The Canaries isn't finished."
"It's close enough, and our economy is in shambles anyway."
"Very well, you're the the duchess."

grgY6Ng.png

"See the colony in the Canaries is already self sufficient, it didn't take too long."
"Inflation's going to be out the roof." said Jeanne.
"Leave the Duchess alone Jeanne, it worked didn't it."
"Well yes I suppose."

ZkeVMVm.png

"France has got into another war with England. It's already over." said Ansgar
"Did anything change?" asked Marguerite
"No it was a white peace after France couldn't beat the English navy and England couldn't beat the French army."

7ew8rmu.png

The Far South

Ansgar walked in with a letter, "Marguerite, there's a letter from Leo."
"Who's Leo?" she asked.
"Leonidas Chocolatos, the Greek pagan explorer we have, he originally single-handedly protected this city from Stalinski."
"Stalinski?"
"Creepy Siberian child that keeps summoning demons and has it in for Auvergne because Jeanne insulted his religion."
"What have I walked into? Anyway, what has Leonidas said?"
"He's discovered a new island way down south the African coast, called it 'Cape Verde' here."

dwtnTut.png

"We'll wait until Madiera is almost finished before sending anyone."
"Why am I the one that reads the notes, I can't read." muttered Ansgar.
Jeanne walked in, "Madiera's self sustaining now if I heard you right!"
"Great, Ansgar send a colonist straight away to Cape Verde."
"Yes duchess!"

zG9rJsX.png

9JIowXQ.png

"The colony arrived perfectly, I'm Alec by the way, sorry I wasn't here for your coronation."
"I heard about you, you were away fightin Stalinski and his demons right?"
"Yes, I see you've heard about our country's little problem."
"Yes, I don't understand it though, Jeanne keeps talking about magic."

qC4jQdM.png

"Yeah, Jeanne and Ansgar have decided that the best way to defeat Stalinski was by learning magic, so that's why I'm here, they've gone to set up the Order of Auvergne's base in Cape Verde."
"We have an order?"
"Yes, only Jeanne and Ansgar are in it, Jeanne is the grand master."
A guard walked in holding a man, "We found this man at your door listening in."
The man spoke, "Cape Verde eh? My leader will love to hear this."
Marguerite laughed at the man, "How are you going to get away?"
"You wouldn't dare lock up a man from Fran- Norway."
"France then. France is playing spies with us are they."
"I'm Norwegian."
Ansgar laughed and said something in Norwegian, the man just nodded and made some noises back.
"You're a bad liar Frenchman, we're not letting you get back to France."

XxBrRBT.png

Barrada and Wenzeslaus came in to say hi, "Hi, you're the new duchess." said Barranda.
"Yes I am, who are you?"
Alec tried to explain, "These are two past prisoners, imprisoned because of... doubtable sanity, they were released when no-one was around to be Jeanne's advisor, I think they were on the trip to Cape Verde with Jeanne and Ansgar."
"Yes we were, we were sent to tell you we have found good anchovy fishing waters."
"Salmon fishing."
"And we wanted to ask for fishing rods to be sent to Cape Verde so we have something to do."
"Of course, they'll be there in a month."
"Thank you benevolent duchess, flying anchovy be with you."
Wensezlaus punched Barranda in the face, "The Golden Salmon will be with her!"
"Not this again, help me duchess." Together Alec and the duchess got the two onto their boat and heading back to Cape Verde.

TvUAB17.png

"Duchess, I was going through the castle's libraries and I found this book, as you can see it clearly states that Vendée is a part of Auvergne."
"Well yes it does, but what do you want to do, ask for it back?"
"The Breton people are good Celts, we won't harbour any resentment towards them for taking Vendée after what is probably 100s of years."
"Of course."

NiAR2sE.png

"Cape Verde is self sustaining duchess!"
"Great, we have no more targets for expansion anymore then."
"We could reach the African coast."
"They're poor provinces and may be more trouble then they're worth."
"Very well, now we have 25 years before we can send colonists into the northern continent from the Azores, shall we just raise money?"
"That's all we can do, maybe make more discoveries."

QBAwauM.png

ULwD1bv.png

Jeanne is still alive? Maybe Charles was accidentally meaning another Marie that hasn't even been born yet? :ninja:
He's a pretty amateur wizard, maybe he accidentely meant every Marie and only by the name Marie being unused will Jeanne die. In seriousness, she lasted from the start of the game, where she's already ruled for a bit to 1456!

The Even Further South

"The economy after getting our islands is so broken." said Alec
"It's still managable." Marguerite said.
"22.6% inflation duchess!"
"See it's not even a quarter! And some of it was Jeanne's fault"
"Well if you say so, we can recover eventually, and it was worth it."

OyOw8GP.png

"We got a letter from Leonidas, he thinks he's found the perfect spot for our future capital, he calls it Delaware."
"Why is it so good?"
"It's a good, easily defendable peninsula off the northern continent's coast, he took our 1,000 men on the Gour de Tazenat and got all the natives out of there, he's also done some land exploring around the area."
"Is there a map?"
"Yep, here's Delaware."

AcFovvM.png

"And the surrounding area."

Eb2YWF8.png

A man ran into the room, "Duchess, me, your son, and some of the lads were out hunting when Bertrand took a shot at the wrong elk, he's been impaled through his entire body."
"He- he's not dead is he?"
"Um... Miss d'Auvergne, Bertrand is dead from elk piercing."
Marguerite started to cry and Alec walked to the man, "Was the younger brother Charles there?"
"No, he wanted to stay home."
"Can you please take the message to him that both his brother is dead and he's the new heir."
"Yes sir. You might want to get the duchess some hot chocolate mate."
"Good idea."

1FWHZpo.png

slwl4cG.png

Marguerite was sipping her hot chocolate when a knock was heard at the door, "I'll get it duchess, just stay there."
The door was opened to a French king, not Henri though. He walked in and saw the duchess, "Is this a bad time?"
"Well her son just died, but she'll be able to talk to you."
"Oh no, I wouldn't like to do that, just tell her I'm the new king Louis XII and I'm sorry about my predecessors, I plan on treating Auvergne with the respect a country deserves."
"Oh thank you, we need a break, what happened to Henri?"
"He was experimenting with gunpowder."
"Ah. Well thank you for popping in, come again sometime when it's happier!"
"I'll try."

9QLHFid.png

The next day the duchess was better and another note had arrived from Leonidas, it was a long one. "Duchess you read this?"
"No, what are the key points?"
"Well to start Leonidas found a new continent right down south, he's not sure but he believes the two he's found may be connected."
"Exciting!"

jzPxRfH.png

"As exploring the coast of the continent he saw a Portuguese ship, we have a rival in the new world
"Oh no, we have a head start though!"
"Of course we do but Portugal is closer to start with."

Ozif5Wy.png

"He continued north up the coast and found an area rife with islands, he calls it the Carribean."
"Where does he get these names from?"

p7gQ9aS.png

"Sadly on the way back to the Azores to rest and fix the ship he managed to sink Gour de Tazenat, the loan cog that discovered most of the known ocean, as he put's it. He swam back to the Azores instead."
"Well that's unfortunate, we'll start work on another immediately though, it is of importance."
"His next mission is to discover the link between the continents."
"Sounds exciting, I wish I could go on adventures like him."

EngjoVJ.png

I'm going to play ahead to the end for maybe 1 - 2 days then spend a day formatting screenshots, then update spam you for maybe another 2 days, then I'll move on to Meissen, The do the quickest AAR in human history with Aachen, I might go over slightly but it'll work.