• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, this is a pleasant surprise. I'm happy we can see just how badly Joffrey screwed up now. Welcome back.

Jon just doesn't get to have anything simple, does he?

It lives!

Seems Jon is going to have quite an interesting talk ahead of him.

Part XXXVIII: Jon

They stood there for what seemed like an eternity - which was entirely possible, considering they were dead. Finally Jon broke the silence. "Father."

Ned smiled, but it was filled with sadness. "It gladdens my heart to see you Jon, but after Joffrey took my head at the Sept of Baelor, I had hoped it wouldn't be for a very long time." He walked over to Jon, putting his hand on his shoulder. "When I last saw you, you were just setting out North with my brother, and now here you are, a man of the Night's Watch. You've saved the Watch and made sure that the realm knew of the threat in the North. You've done well."

"No father, I failed. I died."

"No, Jon. You didn't fail. Because of you, the Seven Kingdoms have three dragons, all the sellswords of Essos, and the Targaryen armies to aid them against the Others. You kept the Watch alive even at its hour of greatest need." Ned gestured towards the statue behind him, the one of the young King. "Sometimes our greatest deeds come through death. My death rallied the North; Robb used its strength for vengeance, but the old gods brought the armies of the North together to fight alongside the other great houses of Westeros in the Great War."

"But the Northern army was wiped out at Harrenhal."

"Decimated, but not wiped out," his father corrected. "But I am not here to talk to you about the Northern army, but of something you have asked about all your life; it's time I told you about your mother."

"My...my mother? You're finally going to tell me about my mother?"

"Aye, lad."

"Now? After my death?!?!" Ned tried to interrupt him, but Jon's anger overtook him. "For years I asked and for years you avoided the issue, but now that I'm dead I'm allowed to know? Are you that embarrassed of her?"

"No Jon, I wanted to protect you."

"What are you protecting me from? Shame? I'm a bastard, father, I had that in spades. Lady Stark saw to that."

"A fact that grieves me deeply, Jon; if she knew the truth she would not have, but I could not risk it. Your safety was of utmost importance."

"Safety from what?!?!"

"From Robert Baratheon."

The name of his father's closest friend took him aback. "Why would the King care that you had a bastard? He has dozens of his own."

Ned nodded. "Closer to a hundred, I'm sure. But your mother was the one woman he desired most of all but never got. You are a Stark, Jon, and I raised you as my own, but you are not my son. When my sister gave birth to you, as she lay dying, she made me swear to you that I keep you safe. You see, Jon, Lyanna wasn't kidnapped; she ran off with Rhaegar...your father."

"I'm....I'm not a Stark?"

Ned smiled. "You do not have the Stark name, but you do have the Stark blood."

"My father is Rhaegar Targaryen, which makes me..."

The crypt became filled with blue fire, and the voices began to chant anew. "All Hail Jon Snow, the First of His Name, son of Prince Rhaegar, the Prince Who Was Promised, the King of the Andals, the Rhoynar, and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, and Protector of the Realm."

As the fire swirled, it turned from blue to orange, and the voices converged into the voice of his brother Bran. "...and now his watch is ended."

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________​

This was arguably one of the hardest parts to write in this entire series, trying to anticipate how a scene like this would go down - but without getting too detailed, because this is about Joffrey, after all!

Hopefully I can get the next part out quicker than GRRM lol.

Shorter than I'd have liked this scene to be, but I'm chalking that up to this still being Joffrey's story as mentioned. Still enjoyed it, mind you.

Part XXXIX: Daenerys

"Fallen, you say?" Daenerys could not believe her ears.

"Aye, Mance hadn't heard nothing from Tormund in weeks," the wildling - Jorjeck, his name was - "he sent a raiding party up to Castle Black, only to find ruins. I've seen it with my own eyes, dragon-queen. The Wall's gone, chances are the White Walkers are on their way to Winterfell already." His struggled to say the next words. "Mance sent me here to beg you for help."

Dany could tell that the man was desperate, but it was the responsibility of Night's Watch to handle the Wall, not hers. "Tell your Mance that if he wants help from me, he must surrender Winterfell to the Starks and bend the knee."

"Your Grace, hear him out." Jon Snow stepped forward and addressed both Dany and the small council. "The Free Folk are a proud people; if Mance is asking for help, the threat is real."

"You're asking me to believe that that a story meant to scare small children is real, all because of the word of a wildling."

"The army of the dead is real! The Others are real!" Jon scowled. "I have seen them with my own eyes. You have already pledged to help the Night's Watch -"

"I pledged to help the Night's Watch retake the Wall -"

"There is no more Wall!" the wildling interjected.

"Look, Your Grace, you question the Others, and rightfully so. But I have seen them with my own eyes; they do exist. You'd never seen a man raised from the dead, until I came back." Jon paused. "This isn't about the Wall, or Winterfell, or the Iron Throne. It's about the living and the dead. So the Night's Watch is heading north to fight, and Bran has pledged the armies of the North. The time to fight is now."

Dany looked over them. "Very well, I will not try to stop you, or any man that wishes to join you, no matter his rank, or whether or not they're in my armies. But I will not join you, nor will my husband the King; he will continue to fight the Imp's armies."

As she spoke, a messenger entered the room, and slipped a note to Barristan Selmy. As he read it, his face turned pale. "Your Grace," he said, standing, "we have just received word from the battlefield: Lord Tyrion has defeated your husband in battle; his dragon was slain, and His Grace was severely wounded. I am so sorry."

Emotions began to swirl within Dany. Her child, dead at Lannister hands, and her husband could join him soon. But she could not let despair get to her, at least not yet. In public, she could be strong; in private, she could grieve. "Thank you for your consolation, Ser Barristan. Are there any more matters to discuss?" Nobody raised their hands. "Then we have a sentencing to get to."
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________​

The crowds filled the streets outside the Sept of Baelor as far as the eye can see. Daenerys stood on the steps, flanked by Drogon on her right and Petyr Baelish on her left; joining her were the Stark girls and Arianne Martell. "Bring out the prisoner," she said at last.

Months in the black cells had not done good for the usurper's son: Joffrey's face was gaunt with hunger, his once-golden hair now grey and falling out; he looked more like a beggar than a king. The crowds began to taunt the king that oversaw a period of suffering and starvation, as shouts of "bastard," "abomination," and "spawn of incest" filled the air. At Dany's order, a roar from Drogon silenced them.

"When we retook our throne - nay, our home - from the Baratheon usurpers, my husband King Aegon and I pledged to reign not with terror, but with mercy; we would not follow in the footsteps of the so-called King Robert Baratheon, who butchered babes in their cribs to try to exterminate my family; instead, we would rule like my brother Rhaegar would have if the gods had permitted he ascend the throne - for the good of the people. Justice will be served, but only to those who have committed crimes: a son will not be punished for the sins of his father." On the steps below her, Joffrey let out a sigh of relief. "Tywin Baratheon, son of Joffrey, will return to his ancestral seat as Lord of the Stormlands."

There was a moment of silence before Joffrey shrieked in terror.

"Dracarys."
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And so the tale of Joffrey ends. There will be one more update - an epilogue, a historical summary written by a maester - to tell where things go from here. I did play a little bit longer, and I will say in that update what happens, but I felt like this provides a fitting conclusion to our story.

So, just to give a rundown on the War of the Nine Kings:

1. Joffrey Baratheon, King on the Iron Throne (executed)
2. Stannis Baratheon, Lord of the Stormlands (captured)
3. Renly Baratheon, Lord of the Stormlands (deceased)
4. Robb Stark, King in the North and of the Trident (deceased). Succeeded by Eddard Stark, Son of Robb Stark (infant)...in-game, merely claimants
5. Balon Greyjoy, King of the Iron Isles (deceased); Succeeded by Euron Crows-Eye
6. Mance Rayder, The Free Folk King in the North (holds the North and Beyond-the-Wall)
7. Aegon Targaryen, King on the Iron Throne, and Daenerys Targaryen, Queen of Mereen and on the Iron Throne
8. Harold Hardying, King of the Mountain and the Vale

At this point in time, the Iron Isles and the Vale remain in rebellion, the wildlings still hold the North, Aegon is mortally wounded on the battlefield, and the Night's Watch-in-exile is still fighting the Others. There's still one more king....who will be revealed in the next update!

Shorter than I'd have liked this scene to be, but I'm chalking that up to this still being Joffrey's story as mentioned. Still enjoyed it, mind you.

Absolutely; I'm curious to see how this will happen in the books....if GRRM ever gets around to them.

In really need to re-read this story

Don't worry, I had to reread it too just to remind myself what I wrote!​

I didn't actually work like this in game, but I just love the idea that Tyrion defeated a dragon by himself.

As for Joffrey... Probably a better end than he deserves, really. Smart move on Dany's part though. I look forward to the epilogue.

Epilogue: On the Ending of the Great Wars and the Final Demise of the Targaryen Dynasty: A History

Maesters have agreed that the final demise of the Targaryen dynasty began on the steps of the Sept of Baelor. The simultaneous execution of Joffrey Baratheon and the raising of his son Tywin as Lord of Storm's End divided the Lannister family, and by extension, the Seven Kingdoms. Those who supported Daenerys as Queen - for her brother-husband Aegon died as a result of his battle wounds - considered Tywin's retaining his ancestral lands a most favorable outcome, believing that the dragon was undefeatable. Those in Casterly Rock, however, did not want to subordinate themselves to the one who murdered their beloved king, and thus declared Tyrion, son of Tywin, as King of the Rock.

As these events unfolded, Jon Snow led the Night's Watch, the armies of the North, the Brotherhood Without Banners, and two dozen Faceless Men, and joining with the wildling hordes, defeated the believed-mythical Others in battle, taking the armor and weaponry made of ice to the Citadel as proof of their existence, so that future ages may be warned. With the Others defeated, Mance Rayder returned Winterfell to the Starks, who once more became Wardens of the North. The Night's Watch no longer manned the Wall, as it no longer existed, but instead served as the peacekeepers of the North, preventing the northmen and the wildlings from waging all-out war throughout the lands. Although the two peoples have not yet become one, under the leadership of Lord Eddard, Lord Commander Jon Snow, Brandon Stark the Wise, and Mance Rayder, peace prevailed.

The South, however, was dominated by civil war. After two quick victories, the lords of the Reach and the Vale turned on Daenerys Targaryen, and the Trident ran red with blood. At the Battle of Highgarden in the fifth year of war, Daenerys's two dragons were slain; six months later, treachery by Petyr Baelish massacred the Unsullied, and Daenerys Targaryen fled King's Landing, returning to Slaver's Bay. There she died childless. The lords of Westeros have discussed conquering Slaver's Bay, arguig that Daenerys's reign made it part of the Seven Kingdoms; nothing has come of such a notion.

Following the expulsion of the Targaryen monarchy, the Lannister camp divided into two factions: those who supported Lord Tywin's claim to the throne as the son of King Joffrey and grandson of King Robert, and those who supported Tyrion's claim as conqueror. The first group were known as the successionists, because they advocated for a consistent line of succession from Robert to Tywin, while the second group were known as the Loyalists, as they argued that Tywin's acceptance of the Lordship of Storm's End and decision to abstain from Tyrion's rebellion in the War of the Nine Kings (many, in fact, believed incorrectly that Tywin had disguised some of his own forces and had them fight on Daenerys's behalf, hoping to impress the Queen and win her hand in marriage). Bran Stark, coming down from Winterfell, tried to broker peace through a great council, albeit unsuccessfully. The new conflict is known as the Lannister Civil War: the Lannister family split in two, and most of the battles took place near Lannister-owned settlements - Lannisport, Casterly Rock, King's Landing, and Storm's End were each sieged at least twice during the war. Ultimately, successionist forces prevailed, and King Tywin was crowned as King; his first decree granted leniency to Tyrion, letting him take the black.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________​

And so we finish our ride with Joffrey. And what a ride it was - multiple wars, a lot of deception, civil war, a wildling invasion, a White Walker invasion, a Night's Watch in exile (that still, in-game, somehow managed to win the War for the Dawn), half a chapter form the point-of-view of a wight (the second half of the Tormund chapter, for those that didn't pick up on it), and lots and lots of craziness.

Thank you for all that have followed along in this crazy venture. I hope to be starting up a new AAR soon; perhaps we will come back here at some point and do another character, but I want to table this and try something new, probably in a different game.

And, for the last time (and for the first time, the only complete list):

1. Joffrey Baratheon, King on the Iron Throne (executed)
2. Stannis Baratheon, Lord of the Stormlands (captured)
3. Renly Baratheon, Lord of the Stormlands (deceased)
4. Robb Stark, King in the North and of the Trident (deceased). Succeeded by Eddard Stark, Son of Robb Stark (infant)...in-game, merely claimants
5. Balon Greyjoy, King of the Iron Isles (deceased); Succeeded by Euron Crows-Eye
6. Mance Rayder, The Free Folk King in the North (holds the North and Beyond-the-Wall)
7. Aegon Targaryen, King on the Iron Throne, and Daenerys Targaryen, Queen of Mereen and on the Iron Throne
8. Harold Hardying, King of the Mountain and the Vale
9. Tyrion Lannister, King of the Rock (in-game, became King on the Iron Throne)

The North and the Wildlings living in an uneasy peace thanks to the Night's Watch, Targaryen line going extinct, Littlefinger just being himself, and after all this madness, we still got Joffrey's kid as King on the Iron Throne. Insane. What's absolutely bonkers is that you can honestly argue Joffrey won the War of the Nine Kings. Yeah he died, but it's still his heir in charge.

Utterly fantastic. While I can't fault you for wanting to start a different AAR (which I'll almost certainly read considering how fun this was), I admit I do hope you'll return to this and write another book. Robb's and Joffrey's were just great.

Man it was quite a wild ride indeed, also love the irony that despite Joffrey getting killed, his son still went on to become King. I can't wait to see who's going to be your new player character, I'm hopeful it's the Iron Stag himself, Stanny B :p

That was quite the ride, very enjoyable.:)