• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
FOREWORD

Remful

First Lieutenant
79 Badges
Apr 27, 2016
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Tyranny - Tales from the Tiers
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Tyranny: Gold Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines
AN ACCURATE HISTORY OF THE MOST SUBLIME AND NOBLE ARLESIAN EMPIRE

t3DRqzd.png

FOREWORD

This being an accurate accounting of the history of our Empire, starting from its founding after the shattering of the Golden Empire of Charlemagne by Roland de Chalons, and carrying on until the modern day.

Chronicling the reigns of each and every Monarch that our great nation has ever had, it will attempt to instruct and educate you all in the details you will require in your future careers as scholars and chroniclers of the Imperial Court. You will be expected to know most, if not all of the names and dates and the reigns they are connected to before the exams at the end of the course.

PLEASE NOTE: As this tome is property of the Grand University, any attempt to copy or otherwise alter the information herein will be met with appropriate disciplinary measures.

If you have any queries about the information herein, you are invited to inquire at the offices of one of the authors during the appropriate hours.

Luc-Philippe de Auxerre and Geneviève Babenberger - Professors of Imperial and Court History at the Grand University of Arles, 2025AD

-------------------------------

I’m baaaaack!

This is one of the two AARs that I will be doing to replace Maester Jon, the other of which is on the way (fiinally doing the Chinese General in India idea). This AAR will follow whoever the Monarch is. That means that, should the initial rulers, the Chalon dynasty lose the throne, I will carry on as the new Imperial family. The ‘List of Locations’, ‘List of Terms’, ‘Nations of the World’ and ‘List of Monarchs’ entries will be updated as the AAR goes on. Maps of the Empire will be added on to the end of each rulers entry.

As I am using the Infinite Game mod, the world will be kept in a sort of 'Medieval Stasis'. It is also intended to be a 'source book' for the abovementioned 'Grand University of Arles', so feel free to ask 'your professors' questions.

(MODS USED: Infinite Game, Inherit Bloodlines, More Bloodlines, Bloodlines fix )

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
LIST OF LOCATIONS
LIST OF LOCATIONS

Fort Chalons: The ceremonial ‘birthplace’ of the Arlesian Empire. It is traditionally the seat of the Heir to the Throne.

Castle Arles: The original Imperial Seat, located near the coast in the County of Provence

Reactions:
LIST OF TERMS
LIST OF TERMS

Imperial Council: The ruling council of the Empire, usually made up of high ranking Dukes, Prince-Bishops and Counts.

Saxon Wars: The wars waged by Charlemagne in Saxony and later against Denmark and Poland.

The Golden Empire of Charlemagne: The Empire of Charles I Karling, and main predecessor state to the Arlesian Empire.

Reactions:
LIST OF THE ARLESIAN MONARCHS
LIST OF MONARCHS

Charlemagne (Charles I Karling) Ruled 781AD to 782AD
Charlemagne is traditionally considered the first Emperor of Arles. This was ostensibly to provide Roland de Chalons some form of legitimacy when founding an Empire in Europe, but also to honour the man that had allowed Roland I to rise so high, given his admittedly lowborn background.

Monarchs of the House of Châlons: 793AD -
The founding dynasty of the Arlesian Empire. Most of the Imperial Laws and Traditions date back to this period.

• Emperor Roland I de Châlons: Ruled 793AD to 803AD

Last edited:
Reactions:
Looks interesting. Let's see how well Arles does.

Reactions:
So Charlemagne reigned only one year? How did he become Magne in such a short time?

• 1Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Keenly following

Reactions:
So Charlemagne reigned only one year? How did he become Magne in such a short time?

That was how long he was 'King of Burgundy/Arles'. Since I made the Arlesian Empire using the 'Create New Empire' option, that actually put Charlie Boy as the first ruler.

Reactions:
Emperor Roland I (de Chalons)
Arlesian Emperor
Roland I de Chalons:
fqj7J8d.png

Roland le Audacieux

Ruled 793AD to 803AD

Spouse: Mór-Muman nic Donnachad Ua Néill Noigiallaich
Issue: Karloman, Rosamund, Rainaut, Melisande, Béatrice, Jaufré, Gersenda

During the time of the Wars between Charlemagne and his brother Karloman, the seeds of our most noble Empire were being sown. Though his descendants would later shame his legacy, the now near mythical figure of Roland de Chalons remains as immaculate and impeccable as it ever has been.

Once a lowly soldier in the service of Theoderic Nibelunging, Duke of Dijon in 769AD, he was granted the tiny fortress of Chalon, from which he took his noble name. He married an Irish exile, Mór-Muman nic Donnachad Ua Néill Noigiallaich two years later, and set to work carving out a large territory. By 775AD, the only part of Dijon that he himself did not rule was Dijon itself. But in the aftermath of Karloman’s death, Roland marched to seize the County for himself. He then turned his ambitions east, to the Franche Comté. It took time, the longest period of Roland’s campaigning, but he would eventually control all of the Franche Comté.

In late 785AD He named himself the Duke of Chalons, and turned his gaze south. But before he could begin his war, Charlemagne called him to war. This was the beginning of what are now known as ‘The Saxon Wars’.

At first, the Saxon Wars began as a way to christianise what was still a heavily pagan area of Europe. The formidable Grand Chief of Saxony, Theoderic the Old, had married his daughter Suanhilde to one of the most formidable Norse Jarls, Högne Hjörvardrsson, and thus was content to turn his nose up against Papal Envoys, who had sought a peaceful conversion.

Charlemagne called his armies to attack Saxony after the Saxons had the Cardinal of Friesland hacked to death in the street in 786AD. Late in that same year, Charlemagne’s armies marched on Münster, and captured it in short order.

Roland led his own forces against Ekbert Brunosson, High Chief of Bremen and his considerable allied forces, among them notable Norse warriors Ragnarr Loðbrók, Oddr Gautske and Tyke Haraldrsson. It came to a head on the morning of the 29th of November, 786AD. The Battle of Bremen was grueling and bloody. Oddr Gautske was slain, and Roland himself would gain his famous facial scar. It is thought that close to five thousand people died in those three hours in 786AD, with many more taking life changing injuries. But regardless, Roland claimed victory, and moved on to attack Holstein, but was stopped by Charlemagne.

With the conclusion of The Saxon Wars, Charlemagne declared himself Emperor of Europe. We now know him as the Emperor of the Golden Empire.

For his aid in the conflict, Charlemagne began granting Roland ever more vassals. By 792AD, the majority of the southern half of the Empire was under the control of the Duke of Chalons. He moved his seat to Castle Arles in Provence in early 793AD, and began to make plans to expand his territory further. But in mid 793AD, the news arrived that Charlemagne was dead and his son, Grimald, had succeeded him as Emperor. In his will, Charlemagne had named Roland the King of Burgundy.

As he watched the Golden Empire crumble, Roland followed the Dukes of Pisa, Salzburg and Brabant, and declared himself independent from Emperor Grimald, Charlemagne’s son and successor. The rebels were victorious after the Siege of Augsburg, which had been serving as Grimald’s capital.

The day was the 2nd of October, 793AD, and in full view of his now former liege, Roland de Chalons was crowned as the first Arlesian Emperor.

It was around this time that another legendary figure from history, Lambert Guideschi, was on the rise in Iberia. Leading the Reconquista, and backed by Charlemagne and the Papacy, he would conquer the territories of Valencia, Aragon and Navarra. Whilst Lambert would not become an Emperor himself, he would earn his place in history as the ’Père d'Iberia’ and his sons would divide up his lands amongst themselves.

Now an Emperor, Roland embarked on one last campaign. The Conquest of Genoa was bloodless, as the Genoese ruler, Stentore Dandolo surrendered when the Arlesian army came into view.

His reign was surprisingly peaceful for a man that had spent over thirty years doing little more but wage war. As the remains of the Golden Empire tore itself apart, Arles became the foremost force in Europe.

Roland de Chalons died in 803AD due to stress. His eldest son, Karloman de Chalons, took the throne after him. The man that had been born the son of a mere castle guard in little more than a shack, died surrounded by family in Castle Arles, an Emperor.

Modern map of Roland I’s territory:

1GxcMDk.png

• 1Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Roland is doing very well here.

Let's hope his successors don't screw things up.

Is this the same Roland from Song of Roland?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Roland is doing very well here.

Let's hope his successors don't screw things up.

Is this the same Roland from Song of Roland?

I hadn't actually thought of that, but now I think about it...

I'ma make that canon for this universe.

Reactions:
Glad to see you back in action, Remful :) I'll definitely have to keep an eye on this one going forward.

Emperor Roland has had quite the meteoric rise, and in the footsteps of one so august as Emperor Charlemagne to boot.

• 1Like
Reactions:
A meteoric rise to greatness, Roland's already set one hell of an example

• 1Like
Reactions:
subbed

Reactions:
It will be hard for his successors to top of Rolands achievements. They would have to conquer far a wider to do that.
Indeed. Somehow, though, I suspect we'll see such a character.

• 1Like
Reactions: