• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(62170)

Colonel
Oct 29, 2006
aeroventures.jpg

Yes Ladies and Gentlemen, that paragon of publications, that great tome of Aerial Thrills, has arrived for your viewing pleasure! Amazing Aeroventures offers you spicy tales of villanous sky pirates and gallant highwaymen of the air at prices you can't beat. Treat yourself to a sample of hyper-sonic speed with Rocket Patrol! Something more relaxed? Why not try Aeronaut DuBois, gentleman thief. How about looks that can kill -literally- as Franky 'Femma Fatale' McGrewan and her Valkyries take on the villanous Baron von Stalheim! And of course, best of all Amazing Aeroventures is proud to present the entire series of Air Ace Tales! Yes the novelisation of this larger-than-life maverick of the sky's life and times is here- only at...

Amazing Aeroventures!

Last edited:
Ah ha! You have ventured away from A Stiff Upper Lip! Well if that was anything to go by, we are in for a treat. Count me in following this!

Cheers, Robou.

Okay basically, the game background to this is: After reading verious evil AARs such the Dr. Doom one and of course League of Evil (both great AARs you should really look up by the by!) I decided to play an Evil GC game of HOI2. However soon after catching up on the likes of Yogi's peerless pulp homage Empire of Fu Manchu, plus Debt Unpaid: A Guy Marlborough Mystery by Hajji Giray I (although both great you've all no doubt have read Fu, so please head over to the sadly neglected Vicky forum and read Giray's noirish treat!), not to mention playing Crimson Skies, and watching Indiana Jones and Sky Captain a few too many times, this appeared.

Basically I gave myself an island in a secret location, loaded up some impressive air techs, and little else, roleplaying as a mercenary air fleet for hire. I'm well into WWII at the moment, and although it would make for an interesting game/history book AAR I'm desperate to write some narrative stuff, especially considering the pulp/noir/sci-fi background that inspired me to make my new aero-nation.

So here you have Amazing Aeroventure's, a pulp magazine of sorts were a series of connected loose short stories will guide this AAR through WWII. They will focus on Air Ace and his plucky comrades (the owners of my island) however the other characters might turn up in Air Ace stories or in their very own who knows. As I said this will be a collection of short stories, not a continuous serialised novel-style AAR, because:

1) based on my pulp inspiration and
2) so even if I run out of steam there should hopefully still be some fun, self-contained stories. :)

Also since this will be a magazine, I'm interested in any one-off Aeroventures any fellow AARers wish to present. Use the characters I mentioned (except Air Ace he's mine for now) do what ever you see fit with the title- or create your own. Although I'd rather have stories in the Sky-Pirate style, it is a niche I understand so any pulpish/noirish tales you wish to present to AARland are more than welcome, just PM beforehand. Any stories 1,000-3,000 words are welcome and if you wish to do 2/3/4 parters PM the idea nad I'll shall see.

Hopefully some of you help make this magazine a fun read but without further ado, a little taster, 2-Parter story entitled:

Heist at 20,000 feet!

All criticism and comment welcome :)

Dames and thrills? Sign me up! :p

Looks really good count me in :D

I think I've seen that fighter before... I suscribe, of course.

Heist at 20,000 Feet!
(Part 1 of 2)

sunset_31may05_420.jpg

The Fokker’s punctured fuselage burst into flames. Taking the triplane’s right wings with it, the explosion turned the aircraft into a meteoric ball of fire, the left wings spinning like a top as the spear of light and smoke punctuated the calm, tropical sea.

“Condor four! Condor four! Come in! Jesucristo”! Captain Temor yelled into his radio, the infamous ‘Blackbeard of the sky’ betraying the worry that now gripped him. He struggled to look over the edge of cockpit down into the water, only to see his fear confirmed by a long black column rising high into the air. He held back a lone tear, before returning to his feared tone. “Condors five and seven, about face. Find this filthy asesino! Blow him from the sky”! Without a word two more Fokkers peeled away from formation and back into the heavy Atlantic cloud. “The rest of you hold. Keep your eyes peeled”…

The aerial convoy now flying with all speed deep into the Lesser Antilles consisted of a half dozen fighters of Red Baron infamy. Their garish Flying Circus heraldry and Germanic crosses had been replaced by a uniform, pale blue paintjob. However along with the aircraft in general, the colour had become faded and tattered, giving the squadron a ragged, almost ghostlike quality. “Los Fantasmas” had long been the scourge of the Caribbean, robbing all who dared take to their sky. Today was no different in such respects. Surrounded by Temor’s spectral air fleet was a Pan-Am Clipper, loaded with over fifty wealthy tourists bound for Rio. Alongside a successful Rhode Island banker, a rising RKO starlet and a former New Jersey governor with mistress in-toe, the Clipper was carrying something far more valuable than vacation spends, and these aerial bandits knew it. However they weren’t the only ones.

“Condor one! Captain”! The voice of Condor seven’s pilot crackled over Temor’s radio “…e’s taken out Con…ive …dios! He’s com…back rou…aptain! Cap…. hel”- the transmission went dead. Suddenly the roar of pistons overwhelmed Temor’s senses as a silver streak shot overhead, before quickly disappearing into the cloud above.

“All Condors, 11 o’clock high, vaya vaya vaya”! The Captain barked, the whole squadron as one shooting into the air. High in the whisping cloud, turned orange and purple by the setting sun, the five Fokkers turned and weaved, like foxhounds on a scent, sniffing out their prey.

“Captain I think I saw him at ten o’clock”, informed Condor three “I’m going to investigate”. Temor watched as the triplane dipped to the left, descending slowly. Then like lightning the silver streak bolted past, appearing from the cloud above the Fokker. Before Condor three could even register its presence, the metallic flash opened fire, decapitating its prey, and disappearing once more into the vast, multicoloured fog.

“Qué el jode fue eso”! Swore Condor eight.

“Ah mi dios”! Shouted Condor six.

“Fue eso el as aéreo”? Called Condor two to the remainder of the squadron. They all were thinking it. Only one man could wipe out half of their unit in a matter of moments.

“Silence”, barked Temor “follow him”!

The four remaining triplanes dove into the clouds at maximum speed. Suddenly the mists cleared, and Los Fantasmas caught sight of their prey, banking a sharp right in the clear sky of ahead of them. As they closed, the saw it was a squat, chrome monoplane, consisting of little more than its massive engine. They also noticed it was coming straight for them.

“Condors open fire”! The Fokkers’ twin machineguns burst into life, saturating the air with hot lead. Their quarry ducked and bobbed, even barrel rolling to avoid their fire, all the while closing the distance. Then it was his turn, unleashing four wing-mounted autocannon onto the unsuspecting bandits. With unnerving accuracy and power, the guns obliterated Condor eight, allowing little more than splinters to fall into the sea. The remaining Fokkers, taken aback by the power, banked to avoid collision as the monoplane shot straight through. As he dived to avoid impact, Captain Temor caught sight of the insignia on the body of their assailant’s strange craft- the Ace of Spades- It was who they feared all right.

“What’s the matter Temor”, asked a cocky, American voice over the airwaves “getting too old for this malarkey”?

“I’ll see you burn for this you bastardo”! Cried the Captain “I wont rest until the fish pick your bones clean”!

“Please Temor, so harsh? Children might be listening”

“Condors”! Temor addressed his two remaining pilots “hold back, he’s mine”. Pulling back on the accelerator, Temor banked left, climbing as he did. He knew his opponent would be heading straight for the Clipper. Within thirty seconds he could see him dead ahead. Temor knew his Great War fighter could never catch up under normal speeds, but then what kind of villain would he be if he didn’t innovate? Pulling back a red lever, he shot forward, rudimentary rockets attached to his three wings upping his speed by almost a hundred miles an hour. Soon the gap began to close. Closer and closer. Temor ignored the tearing of cloth on his wings, the smell of bubbling paint on his fuselage. Oh so close. Finally he squeezed the trigger. A dozen or so tracer bullets spat out, curling over the monoplane’s right wing. It swerved, obviously now aware he had company. Temor fired another spray, this time hitting the tip of the right wing with a metallic thud. Suddenly his prey started to climb, and without thinking, guided by some primal urge, he followed.

“Some new toys Temor”? Asked the Yankee baritone, hiding his shock at seeing the ancient fighter keeping up. He was answered by another burst of bullets. Temor was obviously not thinking clearly. Shooting straight up had the draw back that the bullets would generally fall back down. No, this wasn’t a gun battle, this was an endurance contest. The first to lose air speed would be dead. If Temor fell first, the mysterious pilot would be right on top of him. If the monoplane went first, Temor would blast him out of the sky as he fell past. At first glance it seemed no contest. The modern, sleek monoplane would easily outperform the old triplane. However that was based on the engines, by now Temor was flying almost soley on his rockets.

As they climbed higher and higher, the sign of strain began to show. Temor could see his opponent’s wings shifting this way and that, he speed slowly dropping. Meanwhile his own aeroplane shuddered as it shot up at speeds and heights never envisioned by its designers. The rockets finally saw him catch up with the American at over 28,000 feet, the two craft flying side by side, clawing for the high ground. Then it happened.

The two planes slowed, seemingly suspended in mid-air. Temor looked over at his opponent, his face as ever hidden by a leather cap and stylised goggles. He looked back, and smiled. Suddenly the rockets stopped, leaving only a spluttering piston engine, unable to cope. The monoplane was little better. Both aircraft halted their ascent completely, before rolling backwards and falling back to earth. Ironically, due to the sheer weight of its engine, the monoplane dropped like a stone, quickly outpacing the Fokker. Even in his panic, Temor attempted several machinegun volleys, hoping to pick off his adversary before he hit the water. Meanwhile the mystery pilot gripped his joystick with all his might, desperately trying to right his plane.

5,000 feet: he pulled the emergency start cord but nothing. 3,000 feet: He pulled it a second time only for the engine to splutter. Much to his discomfort, his shadow on the water was racing towards him. Then, as he hit 800 feet, one final pull and a graphic curse saw the massive Wright-Cyclone engine roar into life. Pulling back, the aircraft skimmed across the water, before shooting once more up into the clouds, passing Condor two and six, who in their shock collided in a massive explosion. Levelling out, the pilot finally caught up with the Clipper. Now above the flying boat, the pilot turned on his radio, “Pan-Am Flight 56, come in please”. There was no response. He repeated the message, but no response. A strange noise suddenly filled the airwaves, sounding to him like artificial interference. The pilot yelped in pain as the sound cut out with an extremely high-pitch squawk, before Temor voice came on, short of breath, coughing heavily.

“I’ll kill… kill you! You will pay for… for what you have done”! The radio cut out once more. Slightly taken aback by the message, the pilot was oblivious as Temor’s Fokker plummeted from 1,000 feet above, heading straight for him. The triplane, running low on fuel, out of ammunition and its wings buckling now only had one offensive use in the Captain’s mind: battering ram. The Fokker crashed into the monoplane’s left wing, ripping it clean off, as the wreckage and Temor fell into the crystal waters below. The pilot immediately opened his cockpit and as the spinning chrome coffin tumbled towards the sea, he jumped.

He had no intention of parachuting to safety, however. As he fell at speed, the pilot pulled two small pickaxes, like those used by mountain climbers, from his belt. Bracing himself, he saw the Clipper below and with a bone crunching impact, hit the left wing. The pickaxes dug into the wood with ease, however his grip wasn’t so dependable. The flying boat dipped left, catching him off guard. He began to slide off the wing, unable to grip the smooth surface.

“Jesus Chri”- Luckily catching his arm around the pontoon attached to the wing as he fell, the pilot pulled himself carefully to his feet. Letting out a premature sigh of relief, he was quickly sent back down to clinging for dear life as Temor’s men onboard opened fire, shattering the Clipper’s windows. Having only the thin pontoon stilts for cover, the pilot pulled out his long, Webley Service revolver, however he realised he couldn’t open fire on a passenger-filled cabin. After several near misses, he braced himself once more, dragging himself back onto the wing. Rapping his legs around the narrow tip of the wing for grip, he was still far from his pickaxes as the Clipper began to bank side-to-side, trying to shake him off. Slowly loosening his grip, he waited for the aeroplane to bank right.

“Whoa”! Sliding face first down the length of the wing, the pilot barely had time to grasp the pickaxes. Luckily, they remained determinedly imbedded into the wooden surface. Then the bandits started firing through the roof.

Who is this mysterious daredevil of the air? What is it that Los Fantasmas, the most vicious pirate band to curse the Spanish Main in centuries want with Flight 56? Is Captain Temor perished? All this and more in the thrilling conclusion of- Heist at 20,000 Feet!

Amazing Aeroventures
brought to you by
oxfordclubcigs.jpg

Last edited:
My gods, I am very glad to have dropped into the inkwell and found this! A rip-roaring chapter, gripping and fast paced! I am onboard and eager for the next update!

germanpeon, Mozla, Kurt_Steiner: Cheers guys, glad to have you on board.

English Patriot: High praise indeed! Hope I can keep up the excitement

SouthCarolinian: Thanks very much

asd21593: Indeed, although this will be far from a parody, expect some silly/retro vehicles etc. as it goes on- You cant keep this kind of stuff too serious ;)

Next update already written, just got some bugs to fix- probably get round to posting it tomorrow

Fantastic, wonderfully written. I just miss Gwyneth Paltrow. :D

fantastic just Dr. Gonzo! That was simply superb! Really draws you into the story as you require to know thye american pilots name!

robou said:
fantastic just Dr. Gonzo! That was simply superb! Really draws you into the story as you require to know thye american pilots name!

Nathan Zachary?

robou said:
Am i missing something?
Nathan Zachary is the main hero in the Crimson Skies Games.

trekaddict said:
Nathan Zachary is the main hero in the Crimson Skies Games.

ah i see.. never had that game(s) ;)

robou said:
ah i see.. never had that game(s) ;)

I only had the first, the second one was only released for the XBOX and I still think that consoles are for loosers. No offense to any console users in here, I just hate em.

Hmmm a most fascinating concept. That said I am rooting for Captain Temor, if only because there is nothing funnier than seeing a cocky American getting defeated then, ideally, crying! :D

El Pip said:
Hmmm a most fascinating concept. That said I am rooting for Captain Temor, if only because there is nothing funnier than seeing a cocky American getting defeated then, ideally, crying! :D
Mee too. Also Temor is an underdog. I mean come on! He's flying a biplane, while that bastard American has a engineering wonder of a plane.