Am I the only one that's a little thrown off by this?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Europa Universalis IV: The Bun and the Bagel. :)

Goodness, we should be able to invent a ton of these! :)

No, the people claiming day1 DLC should be in the base game literally are expecting extra things for the same cost.

But it was entirely decided within PDS what would be included in the core game and what wouldn't - this isn't about what can be tested in time to go on a CD, nor is it about a team that couldn't have been creating additional events for the core game.

This means that some people were specifically assigned to stop working on events for the main game so they could make events for day 1 DLC instead.

Paradox is IMO the best company out there in term of listening to the fan base and trying to make the best game.

I'm hapy to buy their game, and don't mind bapying extra from time to time to get new stuff in a DLC. My only concern is to have aprice of a DLC that is fair relatively to the contents.

To make another anology with CA and the total war series (specifically Napoelon): OK to buy a DLC with a new campaign and a new map, not OK with a DLC with "new units" which are just old units with a +1 bonus somewhere ans a different name! Not even new graphics, just a change of RGB in a colour mask...

Sp Paradox, give us good content for a fair price, and I'll buy the DLC (and by fair, I don't mean free, or even cheap, I like you guys and I'm happy to support you even if DLC are a little expensive, as long as the content is worth it).

I'm going to let this video speak for me

[video=youtube;g0TT_SGL-oc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=g0TT_SGL-oc[/video]

This means that some people were specifically assigned to stop working on events for the main game so they could make events for day 1 DLC instead.
Of course. Paradox is a company and they have to do things on a certain budget and a budget is a zero-sum game.

The sheer entitlement of some people on here is astonishing.

The 'extra' that is being offered is just that, extra. If you're not willing to chuck a little cash in Paradox's direction for it, it won't matter a jot, you'll still have a wonderful game that will keep you going for several years - so don't buy that version.

Shimples! :)

The point though is - I might want to buy a game. Sounds simple. However, to be sensible, and in the current environment, I first have to check a) what kind of DRM it employs, b) what kind of DLC it gets, c) what kind of pre-order stuff it gets, d) whether I'm getting a cut version in my country, e) whether it's localized and, f) if, how, well, and g) whether it's running fine/is mostly bug-free (which is far from granted) and h) whether I can expect patches after releases should something go wrong, i) which version of the game best suits my needs and j) what the specifics for the contents of these editions are (manual - digital or printed? Soundtrack digital or on separate disc? etc.). And then I haven't even spent a thought on whether the game itself is worth money or not ^^

Frankly, it can be rather tiring. Obviously life would be easier if I didn't care, but I do. If I go to my local bakery and buy a bun, I know I get one and I know it's ... not an especially good one, but the one that I've expected to get. I know I'll be able to eat it even when my Internet should suddenly fail, or give it to one of my friends should I suddenly stop being hungry, I won't suddenly only get half a bun and be forced to buy the other half in quarters each for half the prize of the first half, I won't need to come the day before so next day I'll get an additional quarter-bun as thanks for preordering my bun and so ...

But it was entirely decided within PDS what would be included in the core game and what wouldn't - this isn't about what can be tested in time to go on a CD, nor is it about a team that couldn't have been creating additional events for the core game.

This is not true, it may not be in this thread, but in several places Johan and other Paradox employees have said the folks working on the DLC were not working on EUIV at all. Different group.

I, personally, am not inclined to doubt that the DLC released will be non-essential features that would not have been released otherwise [I buy a sandwich, and they make me pay extra for the chips]. Rather, my concern is for appearances. In rather a lot of cases, other companies that have released day 1 dlc have not acted in good faith [making me pay extra for the mayonnaise, or in some cases even for the bread], and this has happened frequently enough in the industry that the whole thing has rather the appearance of a warning flag. I don't say that these new policies make Paradox slimy, merely that, were I unfamiliar with Paradox, I might look at these policies and dismiss them as slimy without bothering to investigate further, and consequently go buy something else. I have no clue how many other people would think along those lines, but I hope it has been considered by the people making decisions.

No, the people claiming day1 DLC should be in the base game literally are expecting extra things for the same cost. Let's continue the bun-based arguments, they work so well:
You go into the bakery, they have plain buns and slightly more expensive spiced buns. "Hey!", you exclaim, "You baked those spiced buns at the same time as the plain buns! I should get a spiced bun at the same cost as the plain bun!"

I'll go ahead and explain in advance: The spiced bun has extra content added, above what goes into the plain bun. The plain bun is still a fine, tasty bun, but the spiced bun has added spices and it costs a little more even though it was baked in the same batch!
Plain bun = base game.
Spiced bun = extreme edition.

Edit: Merrivale is wise.

Since you seem adept at moronic analogues, here's one: How would you think it would go if you went to a baker, and he sold you a bun with a bite taken out of it. And then he said he could sell you a full bun with extra price.

Fun times, eh? And to believe I used to defend paradox nickle-and-dime cosmetic DLCs. It really is true, more money you get, more greedy you get.

Since you seem adept at moronic analogues, here's one: How would you think it would go if you went to a baker, and he sold you a bun with a bite taken out of it. And then he said he could sell you a full bun with extra price.

Fun times, eh? And to believe I used to defend paradox nickle-and-dime cosmetic DLCs. It really is true, more money you get, more greedy you get.

The fact that you get to speak to a dev in such a way (or at all) just shows for Paradox great actually is. Tip: show some respect.

Dont like DLCs - dont buy them, it was said many times already.

Here is an experiment for you:
Go to a bakery, buy a bun. Once you have paid and received your bun, demand that they also give you all the other buns that were baked in the same batch for no additional cost. Why should you only get one bun when they were all baked at the same time? Let us know how it goes.

An other, more dlc-comparable experiment: You go to a bakery. 10 years ago, the bakery selled a donut with chocolate and crumbles for 1$. Now the bakery demand 1$ for a donut WITHOUT chocolate and crumbles. For the crumbles and the chocolate you have to pay now 0,20$ each. Sure you can just buy only the donut and it would work for its own, but it tastes bad and you know that the bakery just want to make more money...

An other, more dlc-comparable experiment: You go to a bakery. 10 years ago, the bakery selled a donut with chocolate and crumbles for 1$. Now the bakery demand 1$ for a donut WITHOUT chocolate and crumbles. For the crumbles and the chocolate you have to pay now 0,20$ each. Sure you can just buy only the donut and it would work for its own, but it tastes bad and you know that the bakery just want to make more money...
Actually, if you adjust for inflation, the games now, with all the possible DLCs cast half the price of the game from 10 years ago.

If you went to real bakery, you'd notice that the donut they sold 10 years ago for 1$, now costs 2$. With the chocolate and crumbles.

The AUDACITY! They should work for claps on the back and angry emails about bugs! :angry:

The idea that they should make money off their work, or that prices must rise to reflect inflation is simply ludicrous. :angry:

The AUDACITY! They should work for claps on the back and angry emails about bugs! :angry:

The idea that they should make money off their work, or that prices must rise to reflect inflation is simply ludicrous. :angry:

*bows down in respect* I think youve been around here, playing Paradox games literally longer than many forumites have been alive XD Respect oh wise one.

The fact that you get to speak to a dev in such a way (or at all) just shows for Paradox great actually is. Tip: show some respect.

Dont like DLCs - dont buy them, it was said many times already.

Respect is to be earned. Hard to build, very easy to destroy.

Thanks for the voting with the wallet tip. Throughout the history it has been proven that it is an extremely effective way to deal with problems in consumer-oriented products. But I prefer using the high seas method, as it is more fun for everyone involved.

Actually, if you adjust for inflation, the games now, with all the possible DLCs cast half the price of the game from 10 years ago.

If you went to real bakery, you'd notice that the donut they sold 10 years ago for 1$, now costs 2$. With the chocolate and crumbles.

Hmm, you are right, but i am still not a friend of dlc's, espicially not day-1-dlcs.

Status
Not open for further replies.