Am I the only crazy person who won't play CK3 this weekend just because I'm waiting for 1.2?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You are comparing apples and oranges. Estonians as a culture had been seafarers since 2000BC, that's ~3000 years of history when we get to CK start dates.

I am comparing 2 very pseudo historic ethnic groups in game within games timeframe. As I see it if you can answer affirmatively the question "Do these people had a habit of getting into boats and sailing to raid other people at some point around years 867- 1066?" then they get longboats and ability to sea raid. I think Curonians qualify. In any case Im not sure why you are so hanged up about boats, like, its one of the least fucked up things about setup of Baltic region.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I can't bring myself to play until there is a working event system to keep track of important events, like in CK2. I sure hope something similar is put in eventually, though I suspect it may be awhile, if at all.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I can't bring myself to play until there is a working event system to keep track of important events, like in CK2. I sure hope something similar is put in eventually, though I suspect it may be awhile, if at all.
What do you mean here? I don't quite get what you mean by "keep track of important events."

Reactions:
I am comparing 2 very pseudo historic ethnic groups in game within games timeframe. As I see it if you can answer affirmatively the question "Do these people had a habit of getting into boats and sailing to raid other people at some point around years 867- 1066?" then they get longboats and ability to sea raid. I think Curonians qualify. In any case Im not sure why you are so hanged up about boats, like, its one of the least fucked up things about setup of Baltic region.

"Curonian" (c(h)ori, curones) was a geographical term up until the 13th century and the "Curonian" raiders were most likely Finnics living in Curonia which was majority Finnic until the 12th century. Those "Curonian raiders" were either fully Finnic or had been Finnic rather recently. Those are the most popular hypothesis at this point in time.

This is like the Northern Macedonia issue, they think that they're direct descendants of ancient Macedonians. Same thing with your point and Curonia and its native (seafaring) inhabitants. I think you just don't have a clue of the areas that Finnic people inhabited before the 13th century (all maps about the Baltic tribes show the 13th century when the Finnic areas were rather small but the situation was different 500AD, 700AD, 900AD etc).

My point is that whenever PDX fixes the very ahistorical situation in the Estonian & Baltic area then the Finnics living in Latvia should be able to use longships right at 867 but not the Balts as it is ahistorical.

Last edited:
"Curonian" (c(h)ori, curones) was a geographical term up until the 13th century and the "Curonian" raiders were most likely Finnics living in Curonia which was majority Finnic until the 12th century. Those "Curonian raiders" were either fully Finnic or had been Finnic rather recently. Those are the most popular hypothesis at this point in time.
Curonians were named as a people at least as early as the 12th century. Wikipedia cites the Norna-Gests þáttr saga:

Sigurd Ring (Sigurðr) was not there, since he had to defend his land, Sweden (Svíþjóð), since Curonians (Kúrir) and Kvænir were raiding there.

It's also referring to events in 750, so it's quite possible that the name goes at least that far back.

I'm not quite sure where you got the notion that the idea of the Curonians being Finnic is "the most popular hypothesis at this point in time." I'm not very familiar with the topic, but the little bit of research I did seems to show that the view of them as Baltic is quite dominant, with a very small minority believing they were Finnic.

(I'm talking about scholars here - I have no idea what the man on the street believes, nor does it matter. :) )

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
What do you mean here? I don't quite get what you mean by "keep track of important events."
I'm referring to something akin to CK2's message system, which would inform you of important events such as inter realm wars being started or titles of people you are following being lost, etc. As an example, I had pinned a duke (and vassal) I was conspiring against, but then found out later he had lost his title. I had to go to the tile history screen to find he had lost it over a month prior in a war for the title, a war which I never knew about even though it was among my own subjects. But pinning characters really only helps you find them or know when they die, so unless you're clicking on various people all the time you'll get very little news about what's going on.

In CK2 you could even set the manner in which you were notified, such as thru popups or the message log, but you can't in CK3, which means a LOT is happening that you aren't being made aware of unless you really enjoy clicking thru everyone in and around your realm.

I'm glad people are still enjoying the game without it, but for me the lack of it is a bit of an immersion killer.

Reactions:
I'm referring to something akin to CK2's message system, which would inform you of important events such as inter realm wars being started or titles of people you are following being lost, etc. As an example, I had pinned a duke (and vassal) I was conspiring against, but then found out later he had lost his title. I had to go to the tile history screen to find he had lost it over a month prior in a war for the title, a war which I never knew about even though it was among my own subjects. But pinning characters really only helps you find them or know when they die, so unless you're clicking on various people all the time you'll get very little news about what's going on.

In CK2 you could even set the manner in which you were notified, such as thru popups or the message log, but you can't in CK3, which means a LOT is happening that you aren't being made aware of unless you really enjoy clicking thru everyone in and around your realm.

I'm glad people are still enjoying the game without it, but for me the lack of it is a bit of an immersion killer.
Ah, ok. Thanks for explaining! :)

I agree. I honestly think that the lack of CK2-style message settings is by far the greatest defect the game has right now. If I could choose between fixing crusades, patching fervor, or whatever issue exists, or getting message settings... Message settings any day! :)

(Check my signature. ;) )

• 1Like
Reactions:
Curonians were named as a people at least as early as the 12th century. Wikipedia cites the Norna-Gests þáttr saga:

It's also referring to events in 750, so it's quite possible that the name goes at least that far back.

I'm not quite sure where you got the notion that the notion of the Curonians being Finnic is "the most popular hypothesis at this point in time." I'm not very familiar with the topic, but the little bit of research I did seems to show that the view of them as Baltic is quite dominant, with a very small minority believing they were Finnic.

(I'm talking about scholars here - I have no idea what the man on the street believes, nor does it matter. :) )

The Curonians, the tribe, they were Baltic, yes. That is a fact. Curonians the people from Curonia is different. The thing is that when Curonians are mentioned in written sources then up until the 13th century it could denote either the Finnic Curonians (Livonians or related to the Livonians) of the Curonian peninsula or the ethnically Baltic Curonians. It came from geography, as both groups came from Curonia. When Curonians are mentioned in pre-13th century written sources then it was not an ethnic term but a geographic one. Just like everyone from the British Isles in the CK time frame aren't English.
It is complicated to explain in layman terms or to someone who has not studied the regions history. Estonian tribes being hostile towards all Baltic tribes except the "Curonians" who they worked together with also points to the geographical definition or a very strong Finnic presence among the Baltic Curonians.

Just some interesting info regarding borrowed words: For example Lithuanian borrowed these 2 terms from Finnic: laĩvas ‘boat’, and bùrė, burỹs ‘sail’.

Last edited:
If you dont reform Pagan you wont have acces to Holy wars with is really needed If you wanna expand and pope still calls crusades against you
Yup, those are among the trade-offs. To raid you need to be either unreformed or tribal. :)