alternate start dates, alternate nations -- will there be bias?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

berto

Captain
10 Badges
Feb 13, 2007
earlymusichicago.org
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • 500k Club
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Pride of Nations
  • Rise of Prussia
The Europa Universalis series of games are of course Euro-centric, but to what extent does/will AGCEEP/For the Glory remove this bias?

Of the thousands of events to be included in For the Glory, roughly what percentage of them will be Euro-centric? Will there be good coverage for the rest of the world?

Will For the Glory play best from the default start date (1420 IIRC)? Or will it play equally well from any arbitrary later start date?

In other words

• Will For the Glory events cluster around Europe, with very few pertaining to the rest of the world?
  • Will For the Glory events cluster around earlier centuries, with fewer and fewer events written toward game's end?

To give a specific example, if I choose to play China, say, beginning in 1700, would such a game tend to be generic? Or would the game have plenty of China and East Asian historical flavor events written for that time period?

I'd find this sort of game appealing: One where I could play any country from any arbitrary start date and still have a rich, event-filled, historically flavored gaming experience.

Will For the Glory be that kind of game?

You don't have random starts in EU2, just scenarios. And if For the Glory is based on AGCEEP, you'll have three scenarios: 1419, 1520 and 1648.

As for your question... AGCEEP tries to be as historical as possible, therefore it wants that the world by 1819 to resemble the Eurocentric world of real 1419. So the philosophy behind it is not to let China or Japan to rise above its status...

I understand your second point. My point is that if I wish to play a non-European nation (underdog, weak, whatever), will the game include sufficient specific-to-my-nation-and-region flavor events as to give me an historically rewarding game (regardless of whether I fend off the Europeans or otherwise "win")?

I understand your second point. My point is that if I wish to play a non-European nation (underdog, weak, whatever), will the game include sufficient specific-to-my-nation-and-region flavor events as to give me an historically rewarding game (regardless of whether I fend off the Europeans or otherwise "win")?
AGCEEP has expanded a lot on what EU2 was, creating lots of historical events for non-European countries as well. I don't have much experience in playing non-European countries myself, but there certainly are events and leaders for e.g. Japan, Ayutthaya, China, Manchu, Korea, Vijayangar, and many others. Of course, the majority of events present in the game are for Europe, but you will be given a historically rewarding game playing countries on others continents.

We don't know yet what scenarios there will be for FTG, but most probably the same ones that are currently available for AGCEEP (1419, 1520, 1648).

AGCEEP tries to focus on every country in the world and all have specific attention. Europe has of course an advantage because of History and available documentation. Not easy to find even dynasties for some other countries but this is one of our goals: most accurate setups and enjoyable games for all playable countries.

You can check current documentation for all events on AGCEEP website (see my signature). You will see China has plenty of events, for example.

Remember AGCEEP will be just bundled with the game as a mod. Many other existing mods for EU2 should be converted to FTG and not only for the 1419-1819 timeframe. And certainly new ones will be created.

We don't know yet what scenarios there will be for FTG, but most probably the same ones that are currently available for AGCEEP (1419, 1520, 1648).
And vanilla ones as default.

Last edited:
I suppose, though, that irrespective of nation, events will still tend to cluster around (and following) the specific start dates mentioned. So that by the 18th century, we can expect that events will be fewer and fewer. No?

If there is something interesting for a country in late game, it is included. This is why we have contributors and this is not tied to startdate of the scenarios. Of course, countries that disappeared during the timeframe can't have such treatement but some plausible extensions are included, if not "Fantasy" scenarios. See Granada and Byzantium for example.

I realize there are limits how far you can take this any nation, any time (but still "historical") ideal. One can dream, though.

Thanks for the clarifications.

The reason why there are less events for the late game is that even in AGCEEP, the game will often have derailed from strict history so if the events are correctly scripted with triggers that require historical conditions, they will be less likely to fire. That usually makes people much less motivated to invest time in scripting late-game events.

Even with AGCEEP's 10,000+ events, I believe some of the more obscure nations still have very few events. For instance I remember playing as the Chagatai Khanate a while ago and it had just 1 event. Having said that, at least 220 nations have an event file.

If you have historical events with the Chagatai Khanate (with references), please contribute to the AGCEEP project. :)

Just writing the problem is showing the amount of difficulties :(

If you have historical events with the Chagatai Khanate (with references), please contribute to the AGCEEP project. :)

In fact, we've actually even had some proposed events since 2005, but I never found time to properly test them.:eek:o:eek:o:eek:o

The reason why there are less events for the late game is that even in AGCEEP, the game will often have derailed from strict history so if the events are correctly scripted with triggers that require historical conditions, they will be less likely to fire. That usually makes people much less motivated to invest time in scripting late-game events.

Ah, but for later scenarios, "late-game" is relative.

By default, there is a 1618 scenario, right? How about adding a late 1600s or early 1700s scenario? Then, the 1700s are not "late-game", and people won't be "much less motivated" as you say (and correctly reason, for the early start dates at least).

There is a 1718 scenario on the road.

Excellent! :D

This will go a long way toward fulfilling my dream game of any nation, any time (any century, anyway), fully historically flavored.