• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(51002)

Contra-Vice-Double Colonel
Nov 25, 2005
ALONE
BRITAIN
Very Hard plus, 1936 - ?

War starts on page 7 if you want to skip the boring peace years

Part1.png

Part2.png

Welcome to “‘Alone’ – Britain, VH+, a multimedia AAR” my latest attempt at an AAR and my triumphant (read: quiet and guilty) return to AARland. As you can see, the Axis and to a lesser extent, Comintern will have big ass bonuses to hopefully result in a bigger, trickier war.

Also, the Ground Defence Efficiency has bene increased from 0.8/0.6 to 0.9/0.8, which will result in longer and thus more realistic battles.

The Allies will have no bonuses or maluses (other than France, which is a malus all on its own) but I will be RPing quite a bit to make things further difficult. I’ll also actually be listening to the suggestions you lot make, which should ramp up the difficulty further ;)

Not commenting is punishable by death.

Settings

Difficulty: VH with modifications/Aggressive

AXIS bonuses

INDUSTRY: 100%
RESOURCES: 200%
MANPOWER: 100%
RESEARCH: 50%
DISSENT: 20%
DIPLOMACY: 20%

Note: Until she joins the Axis, Italy has received 50 offmap extra base IC and 500 free manpower.

COMINTERN bonuses

INDUSTRY: 75%
RESOURCES: 200%
MANPOWER: 75%
RESEARCH: 25%

The Comintern has these bonuses so they will actually survive longer than a week against MegaGermany (which will have at least 350 divisions by 1940)

---

I would also like to add that I was inspired to do this AAR by Kanitatlan (by his excellent Fatherland AAR with even more draconian difficulty settings) and by El Pip (for his brilliant Butterfly Effect, a superb British AAR). Thank you both, gentlemen.

And a special thanks goes to Duke of Wellington for launching me into AARland by inspiring me to write "the Kiwi Brigade".

Last edited:
Well as long as you take your inspiration for update speed from Kanitatlan and not me. Does AARland really need another slower-than-real-time AAR?

Excellent to see a bit of roleplaying in an AAR, nothing worse than a narrative AAR full of perfect gameplay and decisions made to beat the game engine.

Good luck, with those settings you'll probably need it. :D

Drasin, DCP, squalleke123, likk9922: Thanks, I'll be needing it for sure.

rcduggan: If the cause is lost, then we shall fight twice as hard to defend it! For Roha- Britain!

El Pip: Thank you, good sir. And worry not, a lot less will happen in '36 than in the Butterfly Effect, so I won't get slower than real time until 1940 at least :p

Pannonius: You shall be spared.

This time.

Miihkali: In a vanilla game it doesn't, no. As I said, Italy got 50 extra base.

II. Shakeup, Shakedown

Part3.png

Part4.png

Part5.png

part5a.png

One ship ordered home was the HMS Eagle from Hong Kong. Interestingly, Eagle was originally going to be a Battleship for the Chilean Navy, but was acquired in 1917 for the princely sum of 1.3 million pounds. (Well over 40 million in today’s money. Which is well over 80 million dollars. Because the dollar is falling. Falllling.)

Part6.png

HMS Eagle

Anyway, it took a full seven years to convert Eagle into an Aircraft Carrier, which makes one wonder if it was really worth the effort. In the end, however, she served in the War with distinction and sank several enemy ships with her relatively diddy air wing of 18-20 planes. Let’s hope she does as well in the game.

As an aside, I’m getting rid of all but one of my African militias. I'm not RPing that much.

Part7.png

Part8.png

Part9.png

Given the Royal Navies (sensible) dislike of building new subs why are you keeping the old ones?

I suspect the Conservatives real problem with the Modernisation Plan is the stripping of any defence from most of the Empire. Remember; they don't have the event files so don't know nothing is going to happen. ;) :D

That said a solid looking start, no mention of what is going to get built though. Interesting to see what the priorities are; air, land, sea or industry.

I like it. Gameplay with a little dry humor. :)

Scorpi: Quite... :p

squalleke123, Roman_legion, 4th Dimension: Thank you :)

elbasto: Lady Fortheringay-Fipps, I didn't see you there!

El Pip:

why are you keeping the old ones?

As a handicap :D

That said a solid looking start, no mention of what is going to get built though. Interesting to see what the priorities are; air, land, sea or industry.

That'll be in the next update.

I suspect the Conservatives real problem with the Modernisation Plan is the stripping of any defence from most of the Empire. Remember; they don't have the event files so don't know nothing is going to happen.

Luckily, no one is going to send any kind of telegram to Mussolini about the Suez Canal ;)

likk9922: I take my humour like I take my martinis. Very dry, with a twist.

Kanitatlan: C'est si n'est pas une commente.

Update later, possibly.