• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Hatchy

Major
3 Badges
Feb 24, 2018
  • BATTLETECH - Initiate of the Order
  • BATTLETECH - Beta Backer
  • BATTLETECH - Backer
The idea is to recreate the fanzines of the past with all their , um, characteristics. No real plans to make this a permanent publication, just as something fun for a few issues to allow creators some attention who wouldn't normally get a chance to be showcased in an official publication and also to give those established creators a chance to do their own thing their way.

This is a vanity and humor publication, first and foremost! All the rules that are in place for the official publications do not apply here! As long as you create in earnest, you too can be included, space permitting. There is no skill requirement!

To keep it on the novelty side of things, it will be a 'print only' magazine and each issue will be 'free' just requiring a charge for shipping and handling. Major contributors will receive a few copies and each issue will make it to the desks of our Official Cousins.

What we want:

Short stories up to 3000 words or a story that can be serialized over a couple issues.

Original art in any medium. The only requirement is high resolution scan or photos. Black and white is preferred as we want to keep in the spirit of the original fanzines, but colour pages will be included in each issue. Personal units can be included as long as they have accompanying art.

Photos of your miniatures. Requirement is high resolution, preferably in RAW format. The gallery section will be printed on full colour-glossy paper, to highlight the artist work the best way possible. (Take a look at the old Battletechnology magazines to see how they staged their photos)

Playable scenarios with battle reports.

Custom mech builds.

The goal is to have fun and for me, it's all at Hans' expense!

Issue 1, so far, has a 12 page comic, a colour centerfold from Bishop and lots of original art from myself.

Issue 2 is the miniature issue and the pencils for an unpublished Blackthorne Battletech from 1988.

I cannot say the length of each book as I do not know the overall interest, but there will be something for your hot little hands!

I'll post how to submit shortly, but for now, get your gears turning!

Z5ZsTfa.png

cJMWboC.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I am producing us a new graphic novel using both fan and professional talent.
cJMWboC.png

I think it's a stretch to call me "talent" but . . .

Can't wait to see the outcome of all this! Looks like we'll have some great stories/content and art at the same time!

That's the plan. If I only get one shot as this, Imma do it right, regardless of cost.

Updated with the story deadline date, which is late April, it gives lots of time to the fans who wish to contribute.

I can do the all the work myself, but Battletech is about many voices telling many stories. And telling stories is something everyone can do.
cJMWboC.png

I'm in need of people who really know their lore about all eras spanning the Battletech timeline because all the stories are to be based on existing events mentioned in a sourcebook.

This excludes me. :D

Nevertheless interesting idea. Will follow.

Is there no copyright laws you need to follow to write a book/stories?

I have an awesome idea for an anime series and I don’t know who to talk to for permissions.

There's a lot of them, it's always a complex net to work with, and I can't begin to start directing you on where to look about what you need to know. First rule, however, is simply to get it onto paper first as an idea - then refine it over and over again as you find problems or as people bring concerns to you on reading through it. Only after you've started to find yourself with a good draft you can be proud of offering is it time to start looking into the publishing aspect.

And even if you do run afoul of copyright/trademark law, that's not the end of it. It just means you're back to work editing to start figuring out how to tell the story without the things you were dinged for. Depending on how severe the issues are, it could be everything . . . it could be nothing. Consider how much of Star Wars can be discovered to have been . . . inspired . . . by other works, and you can see what I mean. The first thing to do is get to work and move from an idea to something you can present. Then worry about permission.

This is, by the farthest stretch, the hardest part.

Hmm. Ok.
Well. I’ve been writing little by little. Almost have the first episode done.
I guess I’ll just keep it as a personal creative outlet before I spend money making it into an actual anime.
It’s very specifically Battletech, so I’d need permission.

It’s very specifically Battletech, so I’d need permission.

And being frank: This Intellectual Property is a tangled mess of licenses, ownership, and permissions which you'd really need to find someone experienced to help with, as opposed to forum input. Best of luck with this.

Updated.

There is an overall story arc and a theme now. It is developing into something entirely different than what first envisioned, but it is now allowing for some very Battletechy storytelling instead of just a recap.
cJMWboC.png

I am really looking forward to this! Can't wait to see what you come up with! :D

I pitched an idea to Andrew that he liked and then he gave me some more ideas on how to use Ayasha in the book. She won't be integral to the story, but she will be related to the theme...plus you get to see some Battletech royalty!
cJMWboC.png

So the first drafts are starting to roll in!

Its a lengthy process, making comics is one of the most time-consuming tasks there is, but the wait is going to be worth it. We are going to have an amazing product at the end of it.
cJMWboC.png

Anything I can do to contribute? Check my blog and see if you like it.

I think I'm good on writers for now, each story is running between 12 to 20 pages. Will be looking for artistic contributors in the next couple of months, though.

I've been working on the pencils for my stories (as the script and pencils are the same process for me) and will have work to show soon. All I can say is that I've really upped my game.
cJMWboC.png

I think I'm good on writers for now, each story is running between 12 to 20 pages. Will be looking for artistic contributors in the next couple of months, though.

I've been working on the pencils for my stories (as the script and pencils are the same process for me) and will have work to show soon. All I can say is that I've really upped my game.
cJMWboC.png

Good luck then! Looking forward to it!

Hallo, I hope this message finds you well?

Pardon my asking, might I inquire if you are still looking for an illustrator/artist for your BattleTech comic project?
If yes, where do you want me to send my sample works?

Well, if not, still wish ye the best with this endeavour, and it would be great to see on the shelves, someday.

Hoping for your consideration.

Sincerely yours,
~MIRA