Allow overlords to block colonial nations from colonizing outside their zones at the cost of liberty desire.

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Kota88

Second Lieutenant
97 Badges
Jul 17, 2011
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Rome Gold
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
I think that players should be able to limit their colonial nations from colonizing outside their zones. Not only will it prevent ugly border gore, but I think it would add more historical flavor because one of the major reasons for the American Revolution was the British forbidding settlement past the Appalachians with the Royal proclamation of 1763. Because of this I think this also allows there to be a drawback for forbidding settlement by increasing liberty desire in colonial subjects.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
Yeah, i totally agree on this one. It's something that i also suggested. It would be cool also to mark provinces that can be colonized. So for instance if you mark them red colonial nation won't colonize that province, regardless if it's colonial region or not, while if you mark it green CN will colonize that province. I also suggested greater interaction between overlord nation and subjects ( CN, Vassals, Marches etc). The idea is that ON can influence its subjects by choosing the idea groups for your subject. That way you can specialize your subject you see fit. All of that would affect LD. Another thing that i suggested was the ability to culture convert main culture of your subject. In this case since you're doing no harm, no LD will increase.

At the cost of liberty desire is a good idea. I did suggest on here some time ago about the option to colonise freely, colonise within area or not at all and it's frustrating Paradox missed out the middle one, which I feel like is probably the most wanted one. And it is somewhat historical since the territories were often marked out before they were properly colonised.

Yeah, i totally agree on this one. It's something that i also suggested. It would be cool also to mark provinces that can be colonized. So for instance if you mark them red colonial nation won't colonize that province, regardless if it's colonial region or not, while if you mark it green CN will colonize that province. I also suggested greater interaction between overlord nation and subjects ( CN, Vassals, Marches etc). The idea is that ON can influence its subjects by choosing the idea groups for your subject. That way you can specialize your subject you see fit. All of that would affect LD. Another thing that i suggested was the ability to culture convert main culture of your subject. In this case since you're doing no harm, no LD will increase.

You already can enforce culture (your own) on personal union vassals at the cost of LD and diplomatic power, ought to be easy to extend that to other types of vassals.
Further interaction would be great. Being able to encourge development, religious conversion, culture conversion, buildings etc. in their provinces would be nice.

The 1763 proclamation did not forbid settlement. Rather, it voided the contradictory land claims due to 150 year old conflicting sea-to-sea charters. The purpose was not to leave the interior as a permanent Indian reservation, but to avoid lawsuits over conflicting claims of ownership that could extend to not only the recent conquests, but any future lands, all the way to the Pacific Ocean.

But that being said, colonial charters did set limits to wear a given colony could expand, and the English/British crown did make conflicting land grants which it later arbitrated. So, the principle of the suggestion does have historical precedent.