Allies should be reluctant to fight each other

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

bigbadwolf_45

Second Lieutenant
33 Badges
Feb 10, 2019
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Prison Architect: Psych Ward
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
Sometimes longtime allies find themselves on opposite sides of the battlefield... it happens... but why are they so enthusiastic about fighting one another?

As Hindustan I basically raised little baby Afghanistan on my own, giving them subsidies, gifts, helping in wars, and taking car of their rebels... he was all grown up 100 years later...

Now his ally, Najd, attacks my Ally, Hormuz, and I am forced to destroy what is basically now my child.... why Paradox?.... Why?

• 3Like
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
opinion of opponent is a factor for calling people into offensive wars, but i think that only comes into play if your ally likes your victim enough - not if the ally likes one of the defense allies of the target.

in cases where you don't want to harm an enemy too much you can usually siege down their forts and capital. if you are the warleader, you can often peace out your (former/future) ally with a whitepeace without killing all their soldiers. then after the war you can usually re-ally them. it gets more complicated when you were called in by an AI war leader, but it's probably still your best bet to focus on sieging them down first so your AI ally war leader peaces them out.

Sometimes longtime allies find themselves on opposite sides of the battlefield... it happens... but why are they so enthusiastic about fighting one another?

As Hindustan I basically raised little baby Afghanistan on my own, giving them subsidies, gifts, helping in wars, and taking car of their rebels... he was all grown up 100 years later...

Now his ally, Najd, attacks my Ally, Hormuz, and I am forced to destroy what is basically now my child.... why Paradox?.... Why?
Russia fighting Germany in ww1.jpg
You should easily be able to ally them after the war unless they want your provinces

Reactions:
I would Opt for spheres of influence for major powers. Because if you have 3000 dev and your litte neighbour 300 he might still guarantee an opm just because of another neighbour or because he hates u. The ai will ofc forget, that you are 100 times as powerfull, but yeah. It is really annoying, I mean the diplo is still far better than in Total War Games and Hoi^^ but it has its logical limitations.

Reactions:
I would Opt for spheres of influence for major powers. Because if you have 3000 dev and your litte neighbour 300 he might still guarantee an opm just because of another neighbour or because he hates u. The ai will ofc forget, that you are 100 times as powerfull, but yeah. It is really annoying, I mean the diplo is still far better than in Total War Games and Hoi^^ but it has its logical limitations.
He should still be able to issue guarantees, but simply refuse to honor them against a force 10 times stronger.

Could allies of your spheres call you into wars against your sphere members in vic2?

He should still be able to issue guarantees, but simply refuse to honor them against a force 10 times stronger.
Ya I kinda feel for guarantees and other similar effects (DoF, Emperor), AI needs to get a better threat evaluation. Is defending tiny catholic Cyprus worth it for DoF Portugal worth it against the massive Ottoman Empire for instance? Especially if it threatens their Indian Ocean colonies in first place?

Reactions:
Ya I kinda feel for guarantees and other similar effects (DoF, Emperor), AI needs to get a better threat evaluation. Is defending tiny catholic Cyprus worth it for DoF Portugal worth it against the massive Ottoman Empire for instance? Especially if it threatens their Indian Ocean colonies in first place?
AI Ottos vs AI Portugal won't annex the Indian ocean ports. Defending Cyprus is possible with Portuguese navy and then you keep defender of the faith bonuses

Long time allies shouldn't exist, rivalry system should be much more dynamic.
Eh, the Anglo-Portuguese alliance has been around since before game start and is still going strong today. I don't see any reason why countries that have interests in regions shouldn't be able to keep good relations, though the system as it is does need work done

Reactions:
Long time allies shouldn't exist, rivalry system should be much more dynamic.
Long time allies can be broken by just getting you on the opposite side of war, they'd be likely to really due to high trust, but that could always be scorned if we had the AI want land more often for high war participation