• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No standing army, but instead all wars are fought with mercenaries... Suits the new government, but it's definitely a risky venture. Adding Rome to your territory would all but solidify your claim to the rest of the world.

It mainly arose as a need to combat the various factions in the Republic and the external claims: with the money the Republic has, two large mercenary companies can defeat almost any standing levy army. Though they do deplete the reserve pretty fast... :)

Interesting ideas indeed! :)

Arc III

Chapter 1: Gianfranco Visconti (1368-1399) Grand Prince of Nova Roma and Pisa, the Restorer of Nova Roma, the Drunkard

Holy War for Apulia/ The Intrigue of the Independence Factionalists/ The Nova Roman Republic expands into Archa – Jerusalem – Ferrara and Sicily / The Catholic Crusade for Sicily / The Betrayal of Theodosia Synadenos to the Grand Prince

visco_arc_III_chapter1_1.jpg

“Report!”

The booming voice of the bearded man broke the awkward silence that prevailed inside the grandiose throne room. A nervous cough was heard and the unrolling of a parchment

“Great Grand Prince of the Nova Roman Republic and the Grand City of Pisa, these are the tidings of the war your kinsman had begun to bring Apulia into the embrace of the Restored Republic…”

visco_arc_III_chapter1_2.jpg

“…while we have successfully besieged the holdings of the demesne, the Holy Roman Emperor has been most irate and is marching…”

The Grand Prince threw with rage the chalice from which he had been drinking

“Terrible wine! And terrible news! Can that German stop interfering with my affairs? For a century all that is documented is how that monstrosity to the north meddles into Italia!”

“…our military victories have not been exactly many…the levies..”

Again, the Grand Prince fumed

“Levies? Untrained soldiers? We have the gold of the world and you still rely on levies to do the job? Quick, commission the Great Company to make short work of these peasants in uniforms and bring the tasted wines of Apulia in my cellar! Be quick about it!”

//
True to their contract, the Great Company under Amalrich gave an aid of relief to the levy troops of the Republic at the battle of Giovinazzo at Bari. Although the Republican troops held the high ground, the troops of the Holy Roman Empire would have won the day if they were not assaulted from behind by the mercenary troops of Amalrich. They carried the day for Nova Roma, causing nine thousand troops of the Germans to perish at the soil of Bari. Soon, on 6 April 1384 the Croatian King capitulated and Apulia was once again Roman.

visco_arc_III_chapter1_3.jpg

A month before the victory of Apulia, the Republic would have the first Purple-Born Italian offspring: Abelino Visconti, named in honor of Gianfranco’s father, the one who transcribed a large part of the Visconti Chronicle to be preserved through the ages. The future looked bright for the newly established Republic.

visco_arc_III_chapter1_4.jpg

Yet even so, the intrigue of the Byzantine court was supplanted into the foundations of the new Republic. With no essential justified claim, as the Council or Small Senate of the Republic of Nova Roma held absolute power, the factionalists supported to break free and follow their own path into the world politics. The most prominent supporters were the meddlesome Aztec Pope and the Serene Doge of the Republic of Africa, who was a fierce Fraticellist.

Gianfranco, as a mild Lollard follower, had enough of the complaints of the Pope and wanted to remove him from his immediate sight. Thus he granted him his independence (essentially the Barony of Tivoli which he resided as his other titles were confiscated by the Lollard Church) and he in thanks returned to him a prized relic of the Visconti : an ancient book which was found by the Aztecs years ago in the possession of a Westerner

Scholars identified it as il Libro though it had half the pages it should have had, as it is presumed the material of the centuries old manuscript became tarnished and the mishandling of the barbarian Aztecs, before their conversion to Christianity, resulted to its damage. Nevertheless it had found its way home.

However the Independence Faction grew bolder when they heard the news of the Pope being released from vassalage. A representative of the Serene Republic of Africa demanded that the African Assembly and the other factionalists be dismissed from the Republic in peace as was done with the Pope. Grand Prince Gianfranco refused and after another civil war which resulted in the death mainly of the dissidents, a white peace was concluded and peace was restored yet again in Nova Roma.

visco_arc_III_chapter1_5.jpg

Wary of the intentions of the Serene Doge of Africa, Grand Prince Gianfranco decided to focus on the intrigue present in the Senate of Nova Roma: he kept a close eye on him and even went as far as to slander his credibility and reputation, claiming he discussed with an imaginary friend about his faith and other matters. With the vicious rumors spread, he soon learned of an incognito trip the Serene Doge would take and inspect the markets of Tunis and their trade. Immediately he grasped the opportunity and with armed thugs, the Serene Doge was abducted and thrown into the prisons of the Grand Prince. The people of Tunis never again saw their elected Doge and for years, the Republic was ruled by a Regent

visco_arc_III_chapter1_6.jpg

With the internal danger of revolt removed, Grand Prince Gianfranco Visconti believed it was the proper time to begin a series of wars to restore the Roman Republic back in its original geographical area. Indeed, the progressive research of the scholars of the great universities in Constantinople, Rome and Pisa had invigorated the passion of the ancient classical times and with Lollardy becoming even more prevalent in the halls of those who held power, the return to Rome became a manifest destiny for the agenda of the restored Republic.

Thus the Grand Prince fought enemies which in earlier times would strike awe and fear in the beginnings of the Serene Republic of Pisa: the Fatimid Sultan, the Seljuks and the Holy Roman Empire all faced the panoply of the Nova Roman mercenaries and professional soldiers, each giving way to the ambitions of the Visconti.

visco_arc_III_chapter1_7.jpg

The expansion of the Lollards brought much concern over the Catholic world. With the death of Pope Caelestinus V, the Aztec Pope, his successor Pope Urbanus III became distraught over the heresy that had covered the entire Italian peninsula. He deemed fit to declare a Crusade for Sicily with the hope the Catholic rulers would be awaken from their spiritual slumber and suffocate the Nova Roman grasp.

Alas, it was all for naught: the religious piety of the Catholics was not enough to contain the wealth of the Nova Roman Republic and each soldier send to fight did not live to tell the tale. Lamenting, the Pope called off the Crusade as quickly as he begun it, reducing further his status as a religious leader. In the following years major civic centers in Italy would convert to Lollardy and its new messages of religious freedom.

visco_arc_III_chapter1_8.jpg

Although Grand Prince Gianfranco was victorious in wars and in containing the various schemers of the Republic, in his personal life he was defeated by a mind more deviant than himself: Princess Theodosia Synadenos his own wife. Despite the lavish gifts he offered her, it was not enough to seal the gap between themselves and in one fateful day, Grand Prince Gianfranco caught her in an act of adultery that would shake his state of mind. Without a second thought, he arranged a divorce, ousting the shamed Princess from his Palace and deciding to live on his own.

visco_arc_III_chapter1_9.jpg

Or rather live with himself and his wine bottles. For Grand Prince Gianfranco, ever the gluttonous, indulged in the finest of Italian and Greek vintages in such intensity that in the end it interfered with his ability to rule the realm. After a shameful incident, he would later be called ‘the Drunkard’ despite being the man who would unite the Eastern Roman Empire and the Italian Peninsula into one being after hundreds of years.

With no modicum of temperance, the Grand Prince lived to drink and drinking was his life. He would die at his sleep at the age of seventy one on 21 January 1399, only a year before the Purple-Born Abelino Visconti would be considered an adult and a viable candidate for the throne of the Republic. Thus the title of Grand Prince passed to the eternal antagonists of the Visconti and Ausilio della Gherardesca was the new Grand Prince, an esteemed Catholic scholarly theologian who promised reform and the return to Catholic Christianity.

visco_arc_III_chapter1_10_1.jpg

Il Libro has finally made it around the world, complete or not. Now to see if the della Gherardesca destroy all that Gianfranco has built...

I like how the Pope was made independent just so you wouldn't have to deal with him. Given Lollard's recent success, we may see it overtake and begun the true faith.

Gianfranco did a lot of good for the Republic, arguably more than anyone else, and then he screws it all up by drinking himself to death before his heir can take over. Hopefully Abelino II will take Nova Roma back before the story ends.

Ouch! What titles are left?

Plain old Alexandria and some provinces in Aswan!

Il Libro has finally made it around the world, complete or not. Now to see if the della Gherardesca destroy all that Gianfranco has built...

Sadly I wont give them that pleasure...:rolleyes:

I like how the Pope was made independent just so you wouldn't have to deal with him. Given Lollard's recent success, we may see it overtake and begun the true faith.

Gianfranco did a lot of good for the Republic, arguably more than anyone else, and then he screws it all up by drinking himself to death before his heir can take over. Hopefully Abelino II will take Nova Roma back before the story ends.

It was kind of contradicting to keep the Pope as a vassal when the Grand Prince followed a different faith altogether, plus the Aztecs reminded me of the failed Sunset Invasion and the story it denied me to write about :D

I suppose his wife's infidelity hit him hard.. he became known as the Drunkard before the event fired with the council meeting, mind you. As of Abelino II, your wish will be granted :)

Arc III

Chapter 2: Abelino II Visconti

Part 1: Intrigue must be conducted with honor/ Remorse of a Catholic Grand Prince / The boot will be on the other foot / A gift from Egypt

“My son, wake up…we must depart soon”

Before my eyes which tried to adjust their eyesight from the unexpected wakening I saw my mother. How long has it been? Ever since she was deported from father’s palace in Constantinople, I received news from her sparsely, from Alexandria, the other great jewel of our Familia

“What time is it… I don’t want any lessons today…”

“Please Abelino, I used all my influence to become your regent and I do not know if it would be enough to guarantee us safe passage… we must go, now..”

I made a feeble attempt to clothe myself. I tried to recall in my mind if father would be mad for talking with mother and going as far as to even escape with her…but then I remembered he was no more with us…

“Come, your brothers are waiting in Alexandria. We will see the Lighthouse too! The city is safe as the Bishop has assured us that Lollards are accepted and their belief is secure”

visco_arc_III_chapter2_1_1.jpg

It was the last time I saw in my hazy mind the city of Constantine as a teenager. For me Alexandria in Egypt was the ritual to adulthood, my tutors preparing me for the inevitable conflict with the intrigue of Nova Roma.

How dull though their lessons were.

I would be the hunter, not the hunted in this fight. And soon enough my seat on the Palace of Nova Roma would be ensured

visco_arc_III_chapter2_1_2.jpg

Already the Grand Prince Ausilio had made his mistakes: he caved in to the demands of his fellow Catholic coreligionists, naming at first a Pope of his own, then granting to the house-restrained Pope in Tivoli his demesne back.

I asked a position in the Small Senate to guide him from the dangers that lurked, as my tutor Azzo instructed, but he repelled me twice.

visco_arc_III_chapter2_1_3.jpg

I had even contributed with my Familia’s wealth to fill the warchest of the Republic, only to be refused saying “Beware of the Visconti and their gifts”. A cynical remark on my Greek heritage for certain.

But the final straw was his ultimatum: surrender Alexandria and submit in peace or be trialed for proven heresy along with my family in Rome. Silly della Gherardesca, was that his plan all along to restore the Pope of Rome? Of course, I replied with the Visconti trade fleet armed for war and a blockade of Constantinople. He yielded after I had taken a relative of his as a hostage to negotiate the cease of this futile atrocity. How did it feel the boot to be on the other foot?

visco_arc_III_chapter2_1_4.jpg

Even though as we speak, I decided to reconcile with the past and give a second chance to the endless rivalry of our two families. Tonight, my gift of Egypt will surely thrill our Grand Prince and amaze him with the wealth the Visconti control and offer to a good cause.

A royal cobra would be a most fitting gift to a Grand Prince of the Republic. If, of course, he can handle it.

visco_arc_III_chapter2_1_5.jpg

Ausilio should have chosen an easier target. He got a part of Alexandria at least; a venomous part...:D

And in the republic, the Togliatti have taken the place of the Caetani. Why does one patrician house always have to be so utterly incompetent? :p Even if the Gonzaga and Montefeltro aren't the best either.

Well, that was easy. So much for my worries.

Ooooh, resourceful Abelino Visconti ! Vipers are still quite popular in Alexandria, I see.... ;)

Ausilio should have chosen an easier target. He got a part of Alexandria at least; a venomous part...:D

And in the republic, the Togliatti have taken the place of the Caetani. Why does one patrician house always have to be so utterly incompetent? :p Even if the Gonzaga and Montefeltro aren't the best either.

The showdown in the Republic is mostly between the two houses, della Gherardesca and Visconti, the others as new men are no match... a pity because with their tradeposts they could have had the means to elevate their position. It seems unless the AI finds a place to declare a holy war and claim the duchy, the Patricians are stuck in their lot in life!

Well, that was easy. So much for my worries.

The discontent Lollards and Fraticellists in the court did not need much persuasion to complete the plan... ;)

Easy come, easy go, it seems! Abelino is a return to form for the family leadership.

Indeed Abelino will succeed with his means to complete the Nova Roman ambition :)

Ooooh, resourceful Abelino Visconti ! Vipers are still quite popular in Alexandria, I see.... ;)

Some snakes are not designed to be human friendly.. :)

Arc III

Chapter 2

Part 2: The Riots of Constantinople – The Collapse of Familia della Gherardesca – Senatus Populusque Romanus restored to eternity – Celebrations to commemorate the joyous occasion – Grand Prince Abelino shifts to erudite studies and enriches il Libro – The Preparations for Cabo de Finisterre​

visco_arc_III_chapter2_2_1.jpg

It was natural that the untimely death of Ausilio della Gherardesca ignited the passions between the major powers in the Republic of Nova Roma: the Houses of Visconti and della Gherardesca. Clashes in the street of Constantinople became a regular event as Grand Prince Abelino assumed his office and the Visconti once more became the masters of the Republic and the Principality of Pisa.

Evil rumors went as far as to implicate the della Gherardesca in a likewise dark scheme. A paid Hashashin made his way into the Imperial Palace and assassinated a courtier, giving an indirect message to Abelino that his life too was hanging in the balance.

visco_arc_III_chapter2_2_2.jpg

But Abelino’s motto of “intrigue with honor” would not make way to fear or intimidation. The honor of the Familia and this particular vendetta was above all matters and the della Gherardesca had signed their final act the moment the former Grand Prince made a direct move against his family, breaking the customary balance between the Great Houses. In the end, it signaled the downfall of their own household and the extinction of all but the Visconti from the antique Great Houses.

The first casualty was the thriving economic businesses of the family. Indeed, the timing was perfect when the Gonzaga Family of Venice requested support towards establishing a Lollard quarter in many of the Catholic dominant corners of the Republic. Abelino thought, what better way to weaken his enemy than –legally- transfer the ownership of his domain to a family in need.

visco_arc_III_chapter2_2_3.jpg

The della Gherardesca would gradually begin to decline and make attempts to float as a castaway from a shipwreck. Their final acts were played when Grand Prince Abelino, later called the ‘Glorious’ would actually succeed and reform the True Roman Republic, surpassing even the First Grand Prince Cassio the Great.

visco_arc_III_chapter2_2_4.jpg

The wars waged to achieve this feat were few, in contrast with those that were given by Grand Prince Gianfranco Visconti. All that remained for the Republic of Rome to emerge again was to reconquer the Papal State, which resurfaced from the pity of Grand Prince Ausilio della Gherardesca and the conquest of Vegl in Croatia, as well as a few remnant counties from the Serene Republic of Jerusalem.

Yet even in this moment of glory, the della Gherardesca wished to steal a significant part by commissioning a galley which a like of it had not been seen since the days of Cleopatra and Marc Antony. Emperor Augustus Abelino Visconti (for that was his supreme title now as head of the Republic of Rome) intervened and the della Gherardesca folly sank before the eyes of all good men of the Republic, plummeting the credibility of the House even further. Mistake after another, the della Gherardesca vowed revenge and threatened the person of the Emperor Augustus himself, causing an alarm among the friends of the Visconti.

visco_arc_III_chapter2_2_5.jpg

But Emperor Augustus Abelino sneered at the remarks of the failed Doge and called for celebrations across the realm of the Republic. Many were the nights of festivities and carousing and some even said of the illegitimate children he sired, as his wife was interested more in the good company of the ladies.

Word though came that his secret encounters caused him the Pox of Venus, perhaps by a common lady paid to do so by the family rivals. As the Emperor Augustus tried to hide his severe itching with balms and oils from his physicians, he hatched the final scheme to bring the end to that dastardly family which had been haunting him for ages.

At one of these flagrant parties, before the eyes of all invited, the last progeny Doge Martino drank too much from the vintage of his area, for it was the only wine he did trust. He fell unconscious at the table and with him the della Gherardesca passed to the notes of history, with the only Great House remaining being that of Visconti. Few lamented their passing, as the minor Houses scrambled to take control of the unoccupied areas they left behind and one by one vowed to Lollardy to gain the favor of the Emperor Augustus.

visco_arc_III_chapter2_2_6.jpg

But when there was no point anymore to contest with another, as the Familia Visconti now had supreme power with no rivals, the Emperor Augustus Abelino put behind the parties and escapades and focused on an ancient relic which was passed on to him by his father: the Book – il Libro

With no Pope to fear of, Abelino constructed an observatory in Rome and pursued to observe the stars and complete the blanks which Ildebrando Visconti had so long remarked on the island of Sardinia. All these decades and centuries, the Visconti traveled to the end of the world, even to the far reaches of India, to prove that the findings of the Book were right. Not only that, the coming of the Aztecs proved that the world was indeed round and it was not a point of debate anymore among the scholars and people of knowledge.

Only one thing remained to complete the legacy of Ildebrando and put the Book to rest: the circumnavigation of the globe.

By beginning from a fixed point of the world and with the further observations he had made, in cooperation with the finest astronomers of the Republic, he would be able to cross the large masses of water, reach the uncharted lands of the Aztecs and by passing through them,he would sail at the Visconti ports of India and then by crossing the Red Sea, make their way to Alexandria and then back to the beginning.

The position to commence the expedition was chosen after considerable studies by the notable minds of the Republic: Galicia and Cabo de Finisterre. Once a Roman province and the acclaimed Roman –end of the world- , it would be a trivial task to bring the area back to the Republic and perhaps bring the light of Lollardy to a renowned holy site.

visco_arc_III_chapter2_2_7.jpg

Alas, after reading ‘Ars Moriendi’ out of scholarly interest, Emperor Augustus Abelino Visconti – the first Augustus of the restored Roman Republic, closed his eyes due to a natural death. He would not live to see the dream of crossing the globe and proving true the legacy of il Libro.

It fell upon his brother Cassio to complete the Visconti heritage and close the final chapter of the tale that began centuries ago from the small town of Oristano in Sardinia.

visco_arc_III_chapter2_2_8.jpg

Reactions:
And now we are truly Rome's successors, the Republic reborn. Sounds like the next chapter will be the finale.

The end of the vendetta. The della Gherardesca hopes, sunk together with their last ship.

Now to repeat Il Libro's journey around the world!

Not long left now before the Visconti show the truth of Il Libro and usher in a new age of exploration.

And now we are truly Rome's successors, the Republic reborn. Sounds like the next chapter will be the finale.

The end of the vendetta. The della Gherardesca hopes, sunk together with their last ship.

Now to repeat Il Libro's journey around the world!

Brace yourselves for the conclusion of the AAR :)

Conclusion​

visco_conclusion_1.jpg

“My father and uncle would have been proud if they had the chance to see the magnitude of the fleet and the preparations conducted for the proof to everybody that the world is indeed round. The Book- il Libro is certain to become the new beacon of light towards understanding where we do actually live.” the man with the polished golden breastplate said. His advisors could only nod in agreement.

“All his life my father, Cassio the second Emperor Augustus, consulted and planned with the best in the field of naval design, astronomy, logistics and other crucial fields in order for this day to be realized.” He took a pause

“Who cares if they called him an indulgent wastrel? In the books of history and the Republic, he will be known as ‘the Just’ for managing in a fair manner all required resources for today”

visco_conclusion_2.jpg

Again the courtiers nodded. The word of the Augustus was the will of the Republic.

It has gone too far. By Providence, they averted the destruction of Pisa and against all odds, the Grand City even reached as far as India, both for profit and for the legacy of that book. The Sunset Invasion was thwarted, the Mongol Horde stopped at the gates of Persia. The prophecy of the Aztecs of the world being devoured by the serpent and octopus, of the devilish beings that would come in the world by the very same book if the blood of a high holy figure came in touch with its pages, was never realized and lost to obscurity

Was it the insatiable thirst to spread the knowledge or something evil that took the mind of each Visconti that came in touch with that ancient relic? Giacomo was no different: the Roman Republic was poised to sail the endless sea and cross the world back to where they begun, conquering each and everything that stood in its way.

It must end here.

As Giacomo with his eyes inspected the grand fleet upon a cliff of Santiago de Compostella, a scallop caught his eye. He walked at the direction and bend to pick from the ground this object

“There are many here in this area. They are connected with Saint James and the pilgrimage many faithful have undertaken for their reasons”

A thought dawned to him suddenly as he observed the design. He ordered his followers to bring the book to him, so that he could check something inside its pages.

It did not take long to find the page he was looking for. He closed it and let a sigh of disappointment

“How could I have been so blind….how could we have been so blind…”

“We must cancel our expedition. We will return to Oristano. This is mere folly”

The courtiers looked each other in surprise. Was this a new ruse of the Emperor Augustus?

From now on, you have my blessing and whomever you choose to continue our family tradition. It falls upon you and our household to travel to the End of the World and see if these findings are true…and if you do reach there, plant a cross on the ground with my name upon it, to mark where land ends and the endless sea engulfs our world – Ildebrando Visconti

“If Ildebrando Visconti knew that the world is round, he would surely know that there is no end to it. Rather, the end of the world is where it also begins, as the symbol of the ouroborus snake eats its own tail and thus forms a perfect circle.”

Giacomo let a sound of realization, as if acknowledging the irony

“Our ancestors with their common knowledge interpreted it as a beckoning for this book to reach the end of the known world- which was India. Yet with the invasion of the Aztecs it became clear that the world did not end there but rather between India and us in Europe is the land of these strangers. The Book which was lost by Ausonio II came at the hands of the Aztecs, who then brought it to Grand Prince Gianfranco, my grandfather. It made a complete circle.” He continued.

“It is an allegory of the scholarly theologian. The end of the world is not physical as in the geographical landmarks, because the world is round and never ending. Rather it is metaphorical , the end of the known world when knowledge brings the upheaval of the status quo and brings something new. It is there on that new ground that the cross should be planted, to mark with it the end of the old life and belief with the contrast of the endless sea of knowledge which always existed but was unknown to perception”

Everyone looked baffled at the explanation of Giacomo Visconti, the shrewd former Condotierro and now Emperor Augustus.

“His wish was for our ancestors to investigate if what he found was true, which by thorough experiments he was certain that it was true. And when the timing was right, to publish these findings and mark the end of superstition and embrace the sea of new knowledge that will come. He wished this book to become known to all, to be taught and become common knowledge thus his desire his name to be affixed.”

Giacomo took a last breath and showed the scallop to the bystanders

“This very symbol, this very place symbolizes his meaning. There are many points where one can begin but in the end all reach the same destination. For each Visconti labored from his path for this common end, to mark the new age of knowledge unearthed and hidden in darkness”

Could one deny the will of the Augustus?

“Clarified wisdom at its best my Emperor Augustus. I will make sure this family relic makes its way to the scribe houses of our monks and those of the Lollard Faith in order to be taught alongside the sermon of the churches” said the Ecumenical Patriarch, who was brought as a counselor representing the Greek literature and to preside as an honored guest of the launching of the expedition

Giacomo nodded and gave the book to the Patriarch, so that it could fulfill its mission. Himself, he entered the carriage to carry him at the beach and then with the flagship and the fleet, to return to Oristano for contemplation

visco_conclusion_3.jpg

If that fool does not choose his end dying at the hordes of the Aztecs, you should take care that he tests the laws of gravity
B. G.

//​

The unexpected tragedy of the loss of Emperor Augustus Giacomo Visconti and the rise of Biagio Gonzaga, the Doge of Venice as the new head of the Roman Republic marked the turning point for House Visconti. It came to be known later on that the “accident” was arranged by the “new men” of the Republic with the Gonzaga leading the scheme : Gonzaga, Montefeltro, Togliatti and di Malaspina.The loot was too good to be spared. House Visconti lacked an adult heir to lead the House and the Republic should something would befall Giacomo. And thus young Marino, a brooding, haughty child, the legitimized bastard of Abelino the first Emperor Augustus could do nothing but watch as his family was put to house arrest and the new houses appropriated all that was built centuries ago by his kin.

visco_conclusion_4.jpg

When he came of age, he was put on trial that the Visconti were devil worshipers, tracing all the way back to Grand Prince Sinibaldo and the infamous Great Fire of 25 February 1225. An event that occurred almost two centuries ago, it was evident that the trial was a hoax, a masked up attempt to eradicate the Familia just as they had done with the della Gherardesca, the ancient rivals. The Roman Republic confiscated as a state all the property of the Visconti and Marino died in poverty, a cruel fate for the progeny of such a great house.

However, not even wealth could save the centrifuge powers that shook the core of the Republic. Some years ago, independence was granted to the harbor masters of India and Muscat with the condition to continue their shipping of goods, as the locals stirred uprisings one after another which marked an economic crisis in the supply of the rich spices and goods of India. Before ink dried on the papers of independence though, the Maharajas of India scooped and claimed back their ancestral lands, ousting the Italian harbormasters and modifying the terms of trade in the area.

In the following years too, the feudal lords clamored to be able to command their land without republican intervention. United in a common cause, the kings of Greece and Bulgaria achieved their independence over a hefty monetary sum.

visco_conclusion_5.jpg

When the Catholic world saw that the Roman Republic was not unbeatable and that internal struggles were causing stability issues, they too joined the fray of contesting. First they issued a decree that all good Catholics should embargo the goods of the heretical Roman Republic. The cost for the traders was immeasurable and the continuing terms of rulership from the corrupt Gonzaga, Montefeltro, Togliatti and di Malaspina only brought further concessions. In the end, the Pope called for a Grand Crusade against the Lollard unfaithful and Italy was lost. The Roman Republic became a shadow of itself until it stopped to exist, when the Crusaders marched into Rome and bestowed the entire command of Italy to the Catholic Pope.

It would seem that with the death of the Republic, the burgher class paid for the years the feudal lords and the clerical bishops tolerated the yoke of the civil class. It was not until the 19th century that internal revolts mainly in Italy led to the formation of Communes and the study of History unearthed this form of Republic, even though it was plutocratic at its core. Which would then lead to the question….

…what did become of il Libro? What was the fate of this tumultuous book, the one which ushered an era of reform and giving the willpower to push the known borders of the traders?

For centuries, the book was lost in an obscure library of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, its language being alien to the Greeks. However with the coming of ages, it was thoroughly studied and became a symbol of the fight of the civil class, with the final maps of the Republic of Rome giving inspiration towards what the people once had the power to achieve.

visco_conclusion_6.jpg

visco_conclusion_7.jpg

And with it came to prominence the House of Visconti, who zealous or cynical, wroth or patient, ambitious or content, lustful or chaste, each heir of the Visconti set to fulfill the family birthright, interwoven with the fate of the Republic of Pisa and then of the restored Roman Republic.

To the common man, “Viscontism” became to be known as the shrewd radical thought, which sometimes the end justified the means. It meant to challenge traditional knowledge and go at lengths to prove what was right. But above all it was the proof of a common person like you and me, who hailed from a small town in Sardinia, could achieve so much by spurring his progeny towards a greater ,if unconventional, cause.

visco_conclusion_8.jpg

Reactions:
So then, this is it!

I would especially like to thank @TheAnguishedOne, @alscon, @Henry v. Keiper, @Saxon125, @Nikolai, @Nuada Airgetlám, @Battle bunny, @weresloth, @Krictic, @fabiolundiense, @Rinzler__ for subscribing and commenting on the AAR. With your comments, you have helped me think of potentially different roads to pursue and made this AAR come to its conclusion. Also I would like to thank all those who voted for the joint first place in the Q1 and Q2 Awards for CK II!

Many many thanks as well for the thousands of views. Hopefully I will see you in another AAR in this game or another :)

Reactions:
And so the House of Visconti's tale comes to an end. A sad end to such an influential family, but history will not forget them or their achievements.

A fantastic story, well done. Whatever your next AAR is, I'll definitely be along for the ride.

Reactions: