• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Huh you forgot about the Roman siege weapons they build. Didn't you? When the siege ends you'll get there a lot faster.

Precisely that. I haven't realized about that either, ordered my entire fleet to move all across the Mediterranean. In the end it didn't even matter that much, due to some other events.

TURN 12

A fairly busy one, with a few important events taking place.

First of all, the single enemy unit that sneaked behind my troops and is operating there now captured a fairly important city of Toletum:

Turn12-1.jpg

At least I get to see its strength, and it's not too impressive. The Numidians I sent the previous turn should do just fine, I thought. I`ll leave it up to you to decide:

Turn12-3.jpg

Alright, so apparently I won. Yey! Lost 3 times more men and 19 elements to opponent's 0. Some victory. Sending the Numidians was clearly a mistake, and as I see another, presumably even bigger, Caesarian corps approaching Toletum, I've decided to recall Octavius back from his holiday and deal with them:

Turn12-5.jpg

He is my go-to guy and was standing idle on a defensive line I drew, but the enemy has bypassed it anyway. I`m hoping he can deal with the enemy fairly fast and effective, as he did in the past. Pompeius stays in his position (even though I was veeeery tempted to try and capture the single wagon train that is standing opposite the river, in Tarraco) as there is a Caesarian fleet just outside and it has some units transported (according to the info I get when I hover the cursor over it). I also recall my fleet from Utica to try to engage that fleet. Finally I should probably mention the Numidians: the battered cavalry corps is withdrawing further south and gets 'Evade enemy' orders. Don't want them to suffer any more casualties. The infantry one will move to its original destination.

Greece now. A 'small' event that made me change my plans slightly:

Turn12-2.jpg

6-6-7 darn. 23 thousand troops. I have almost 3 times more, yet I do what any good strategist should do when facing Caesar: PANIC!

Turn12-6.jpg

I instantly order Cato and his army to abandon the siege, and withdraw to better defensive position in the province just north of Thessalonika. By doing so I see that, once more, each province will take 40 days to move to, and yes, I realize it's due to the ballistas my army build for the siege. I drop them and Cato will arrive to his destination in 1 turn. I was briefly considering trying to fight Caesar, hoping my numerical superiority would suffice, but I decided against it. Can't see how my 4-2-1 general can stand up to an insane 6-6-7 one. I`m going to need someone better here, but as my troops (and my best commanders) are busy in Spain it has to wait a few turns. In the meantime Cato will try to avoid any confrontation, unless he has a good defensive position.

To end up, I got a few positive events this turn as well:

Turn12-7.jpg

Turn12-4.jpg

Especially the second one is helpful, as it solved my financial problems for a few turns at least.

Ouch. Well, the Numidians were never going to be very impressive with their 'Out of Africa' penalty, but still, if the game calls it a victory, let's keep it at that. :)

One good thing is that you now know where Caesar is. Yes, it looks likely that he'll stomp all over you in Greece (I hope to be proven wrong), but I'm trying to be positive. At least he's not in Spain - maybe it's time to get a little more aggressive over there?

Stuyvesant - that's correct, and I thought exactly the same thing: time to go on the offensive!

TURN 13

For the records: the pirates never stopped bothering me

Turn13-1.jpg

From much more important battles, Octavius caught up with the separated Caesarian legion, the outcome could be only one:

Turn13-2.jpg

The game says he was fighting close to 30 thousand enemies, but it's not true. He fought, and destroyed, a single detachment.

Another big fight occurred when Jabba the Hut, leading my fleet, met enemy's one off the coast of Spain:

Turn13-3.jpg

In Iberia, the rest of the corps moved to Toletum, with Octavius and the Numidians withdrawn to Cordoba. I`ll give them a turn to regain their strength, and to see what is the AI planning to do from here.
Slightly more north, Pompeius is now facing another of Caesar's top commanders:

Turn13-5.jpg

He was on board of the fleet that I met, but unloaded before the battle. Now I have Marcus Antonius opposite me. I do have a good defensive position though, so I decide to stay there and wait for the AI to make the first move. I have overall better position, if he tries to move around me to help the unit in Toleto, I can easily move Pompeius south and merge his forces with Octavius'. If he decides to attack, I should be able to defend myself, being behind river. Finally if he just stays there: its fine with me too, as it can give me time to deal with the other corps and then I`ll have 2 vs 1 advantage (of course assuming no other unit appears).

In Greece:

Turn13-6.jpg

Cato moved towards Thessalonika, with Caesar moving north and besieging Appolonia now. I`m really not planning on attacking him there, so I`ll rather wait for a better chance.

Now, remember the options I had regarding the Parthians? I could either pay them off and hope they won't join the war soon, or give them Syria and they wouldn't join the war. In both cases I`d get my troops unlocked and could use them against Caesar.
I decide to take none of them. Money's too precious and too desperately needed for replacements so not going to spend it all on dealing with Parthia. If they attack me - I`ll deal with it... somehow... hopefully. At the moment Caesar is much bigger and more imminent threat

Turn13-7.jpg

Speaking about money, this turn brings me a lot of those, due to some events:

Turn13-8.jpg

Things seem to go rather well for now, you're not inflicting much superior casualties but at least you're wiping out a fair number of elements. This ought to bleed Caesar dry of his veteran troops which he cannot replace.

Matnjord - indeed, just what I thought. And I can proudly say it's been my tactic from the start, to carefully gather my forces and then remain passive waiting for an opportunity to strike. It seems to work.

TURN 14

After winning the battle in Toletum the previous turn, and destroying a single Caesarian detachment, my troops try to take rest in Corduba. They weren't given any though, as the main forces of that corps followed Octavius. The battle weakened it further:

Turn14-1.jpg

After that I decide: the waiting is over, time to go on offensive. Caesarians unit in the middle of Spain is weakened, Marcus Antonius is still idle, and even if he moves he still has to beat Pompeius. In the best case scenario I`m going to have 2 strong units at my disposal against him. Octavius gets his orders to pursue any retreating opponents and retake the cities:

Turn14-4.jpg

In Greece Caesar captures Athens:

Turn14-2.jpg

I don't feel like I`m ready to fight him yet, I`m going to let him roam free a little more, loosing troops to city defenses, hopefully soon I`ll be able to spare one of my good commanders from Spain to fight him.

After the recent victories, Egypt is reassuring me of its loyalty:

Turn14-3.jpg

Finally I spent the money that would otherwise go to Parthians on replacements:

Turn14-5.jpg

TURN 15

Octavius chases and defeats retreating Caesarian corps:

Turn15-1.jpg

Turn15-2.jpg

He'll continue to hunt down each single unit of enemy's in sight, then will move north to cooperate with Pompeius against Marcus Antonius.

In Greece I notice something optimistic: the AI is going the main mistake it did in Spain and splits its units! Caesar or not, if he won't have enough soldiers under him even Cato can beat him (or so I think). I`m still chickening out of any offensive actions though.

Turn15-3.jpg

Things are going pretty well, it seems. Good, heavy losses inflicted in Spain, Caesar roaming the Greek countryside but not yet engaging you, the hope that you might be able to defeat some smaller detachments in Greece... All sounds good. A lot is going to depend on whether you can deal a good blow to Marcus Antonius/Mark Anthony and whether your army in Greece can continue to avoid getting hammered by Caesar.

I do have to say that your comment about Marcus Calpurnius Bibulus ("Jabba the Hutt") is a little unfair. Yes, he does have enough extra chins to keep half his fleet afloat, but that's no reason to call him some kind of supersized slug creature with questionable taste in metal bikinis. ;)

@Stuyvesant - yes, the things are looking good. I do have to watch out still: I still didn't fight the 2 men I was afraid of the most: Caesar and Marcus Antonius. And Marcus Calpurnius Bibulus is his name in Latin - it translates to English as Jabba the Hutt, so it's in no way offensive ;)

TURN 16

Yes, the things for the Roman Republic are looking good.

Octavius went on full offensive in Iberia, chasing weakened Caesarian units:

Turn16-1.jpg

Turn16-2.jpg

destroying some.

He will continue with this task, as I want to ensure the secure front against Antonius:

Turn16-6.jpg

In Greece, Caesar did something that is turning out to be his gravely mistake in Iberia: he started splitting his forces:

Turn16-3.jpg

With that in mind, I went on to check the overall situation:

Turn16-5.jpg

I have 27 points of NM advantage. It affects combat performance, so I decided it's time to go Caesar-hunting!:

Turn16-7.jpg

Cato will be the hunter, apparently. In fact he would stand not a chance if not for a huge numerical advantage I`m having.

At the end I also get a good event:

Turn16-4.jpg

It can surely help.

Always a pleasure to read your AAR in the morning Sathariel.

It is really surprising to see that you are still taking such heavy casualties despite fighting weakened forces with overwhelming numerical superiority, ie: the battle of Toletum. This really goes to show how qualitatively superior Caesar's troops are to your own. Makes me really interested to see how this scenario would play out with two human players.

Just read this - enjoyed it a lot. Subscribed :)

Well, if Cato is the one to finish of Caesar, that would be poetic justice (having just looked up Cato and his end on Wikipedia). :)

Overall, combat losses seem pretty even between you and Caesar's party. I guess that favors you, in the long run, since you hold a lot of rich lands, and Caesar is losing his veterans, which are irreplaceable.

@ Matnjord - you are about to see heavy casualties soon ;). And, I think, against a human opponent the Caesar's side would have quite a big advantage (might be wrong here though).

@ PrawnStar - thanks a lot. The more the merrier.

@ Stuyvesant - I know: Cato in general seems like a great person, and good politician, just not that much of a military leader. But who knows, maybe he will be the one to bury Caesar, and give a nice speech at his funeral.

TURN 17

In Greece, Appolonia still fights and refuses to surrender to the small detachment of forces send by Caesar:

Turn17-1.jpg

Especially motivated by the knowledge about Cato and the main Republic's army in Macedonia on the move to help them. The plan was for that army to approach and destroy besieging forces. It didn't exactly work like that, as on his way, Cato met much stronger enemy army, led by a very familiar looking person: Caesar. Both sides were equally surprised:

Turn17-2.jpg

, after a series of small skirmishes Caesar broke contact and withdrew. Not too decisive, but still, victory for Cato.

The situation afterwards is somewhat confusing:

Turn17-7.jpg

The enemy unit besieging Appolonia is still there, but I don't know where did Caesar go. I just order Cato to carry on with the original plan, of relieving the siege and destroying (hopefully) the small enemy unit in the process.

In Spain, hunt for dispersed and weak single units continues:

Turn17-3.jpg

Notice the change of the commander: Octavius got replaced by Lucius Africanus. It did make me panic for a second, as I thought Octavius died in one of the previous clashes, and I just didn't notice. After a quick investigation, I`ve realized something else happened:

Turn17-4.jpg

Being a part of victorious army, lead by Octavius, Lucius Africanus, was receiving a bonuses in seniority for each won battle (same as Octavius did - he just did it much faster). It eventually resulted in both of them having the same Seniority and Rank and the game engine put Lucius over Octavius as the main commander. I really disagree, so I detach Lucius from the army and send him to join the Pompeius' one. Pompeius has higher rank, therefor the seniority won't be a problem there.
As for the situation in Iberia: I can't see any more smaller units left, so I send Octavius to capture cities remaining in Caesar's hands, then he and his army will rest a bit. Once they do, I`m going to plan and execute (hopefully) a plan to defeat Marcus Antonius, using my both spanish armies. It should! suffice.

From other news: I get another bonus in cash from holding commercial ports:

Turn17-5.jpg

And I spend it right away on much needed replacements:

Turn17-6.jpg

Last edited:
@ loki100 - I agree I`m getting an upper hand, but too early to claim victory. As long as Caesar and Marcus Antonius are around and leading strong forces I shall remain careful.

TURN 18

The previous turn I was unsure about Caesar's whereabouts, as he disappeared after a small skirmish. Turns out he didn't go anywhere, remained in Appolonia and saw the capture of the city:

Turn18-1.jpg

Cato moved to the same province, but by that time Caesar was already gone. I keep Cato and order him to retake the town. Caesar's disappeared again. Not really much more to mention about Greece.

In Spain however....

Marcus Antonius decided his troops have been idle long enough and ordered them to march forward, right into Pompeius' troops. What happened, I can only describe as the single biggest bloodbath of the war, in a series of battles:

Turn18-2.jpg

Turn18-3.jpg

Turn18-4.jpg

Turn18-5.jpg

The last battle is marked as my victory, but it was Pompeius who retreated and suffered another 94 hits. It means he has 13 thousand troops left. Out of close to 48. Really horrible casualties: I didn't expect to suffer them that high. To be honest I didn't even expect Marcus Antonius to win, he had to cross the river, attack uphill, and still bested numerically superior forces. Here comes the good news though: he also suffered greatly, he has around 18 thousand troops left. He might not lost many elements, so he can get them replaced if I take too long to engage him again. Pompeius' force is out of the question: they had enough and without any rest I`ll just send them for a slaughter. Octavius on the other hand leads fairly rested army of over a 40 thousand veterans. Unfortunately, he is far, and I can't really order his soldiers to march half of Iberia, only to fight a crucial battle at the end of that march. Octavius will get close, rest, then attack Marcus Antonius. Hopefully he won't have enough time to replace his lost units. And if he does: so should Pompeius' and I`ll have 2 full-size units against 1. I like these odds :).

Turn18-6.jpg

Finally just to show a 'small' difference in casualties, both suffered and dealt:

Turn18-7.jpg

Wow. There isn't much left of Pompeius' and Antonius' armies. Here's hoping you can bring up Octavius soon enough and crush the remains of Marcus Antonius' force. I just hope he doesn't pull a Caesar on you and disappear from view before you can finish him.

Still, the situation in Spain looks very good for you. And you more-or-less know where Caesar is hanging out, so not much chance that he can interfere. And I see that you managed to further shrink the Caesarean morale, whilst boosting your own, so that's good, too (I was worried that that series of battles had drained your NM).

@ loki100 - indeed, the both armies are in dire need of rest... and of replacements. I do have some, as I bought them the previous turn or 2, so it should refill them somewhat. I have no idea how is the AI looking at that front though. I`m about to find out.
@ Stuyvesant - I agree, IF my spies are correct I should not face anymore enemy armies in Spain. Of course I first have to find and destroy Marcus Antonius' one (I refuse to call him Mark Anthony, because it reminds me of the popstar :p Marcus Antonius sounds more... classic).

TURN 19

Spain:

Marcus Antonius didn't stop, or rest. He carried on with his pursuit of Pompeius forces. And it was a mistake. I also noticed: while Pompeius managed to refill his rank to some degree, Antonius haven't.

Turn19-1.jpg

And Octavius is approaching, in fact he is already in his designated position ready to attack:

Turn19-3.jpg

However.....:

Turn19-5.jpg

Marcus Antonius pulled a Caesar on me and disappeared from view before I could finish him (OOC: I blame Stuyvesant for jinxing it :p) :s. In theory I should have him trapped, between Octavius' army on the north and Pompeius on the south, but he could've just as well slipped out, even back to Gaullia. Or evacuate by sea. Just in case I order Octavius to sweep along the coast, from north to south and then back north to end up in Tarraco and recapture it.

Greece:

Caesar captures Patras:

Turn19-2.jpg

and Pharsalos is about to fail:

Turn19-4.jpg

Cato is finally free though, as Appolonia surrendered and it's back in my hands now. He will move south, towards Pharsalos in an attempt to engage the units there. I`m still being fairly careful, but it's quite clear that my numerical superiority is huge there and I should be able to beat Caesar just because of that.

Turn19-6.jpg

EDIT: linked wrong picture, and corrected some mistakes

Last edited: