• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Frode789

Sergeant
8 Badges
Sep 21, 2014
www.citiesskylines-nation.com
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
So we have the first screenshot of the airport in the game, and some details. The game looks GREAT so far, and I am super excited about it. Just so I have that said! Airports have always had a special place for me, and I know lots of sim fans feel the same way. Even though this isn't a airport sim, it should still be featured properly, and hopefully there will a full-fledged module airport DLC sometime after release!

10679745_356298474545871_3915133279373706946_o.jpg

And I saw in another thread that there will only be one airport at launch. Fair enough, not the most important thing to have at launch, but please, make it properly!

I know it is alpha and all, but based on previous city sim games, none have really given the airports any justice.. Some are so badly and unrealistically portrayed I grin when I see them.. Airpots take up a lot of space, even small airports that only cater to small planes. So I'm going to get it out there right away:

Realistic SIZE of the runway/taxiway (1), terminal buildings, (2) security clearing around the runway (start-end especially) (3), clearing between the taxiway(s) and the runway (4), space between the gates (5), and of course the size of the actual airplanes (6). From the screenshot, the runway almost looks like a normal two-lane road, and it has a A380 landing on it.. No space between the taxiway and the runway, and no space between the gates. For example.

As for the future, please add more ploppable airports, such as small airport, domestic airport, and of course a large international airport. And of course, as a DLC pack, a module-based airport set would be amazing. Being able to place the terminals (with different types), parking areas, public transportation, runways, taxiways and so forth.

So we have the first screenshot of the airport in the game, and some details. The game looks GREAT so far, and I am super excited about it. Just so I have that said! Airports have always had a special place for me, and I know lots of sim fans feel the same way. Even though this isn't a airport sim, it should still be featured properly, and hopefully there will a full-fledged module airport DLC sometime after release!

10679745_356298474545871_3915133279373706946_o.jpg

And I saw in another thread that there will only be one airport at launch. Fair enough, not the most important thing to have at launch, but please, make it properly!

I know it is alpha and all, but based on previous city sim games, none have really given the airports any justice.. Some are so badly and unrealistically portrayed I grin when I see them.. Airpots take up a lot of space, even small airports that only cater to small planes. So I'm going to get it out there right away:

Realistic SIZE of the runway/taxiway (1), terminal buildings, (2) security clearing around the runway (start-end especially) (3), clearing between the taxiway(s) and the runway (4), space between the gates (5), and of course the size of the actual airplanes (6). From the screenshot, the runway almost looks like a normal two-lane road, and it has a A380 landing on it.. No space between the taxiway and the runway, and no space between the gates. For example.

As for the future, please add more ploppable airports, such as small airport, domestic airport, and of course a large international airport. And of course, as a DLC pack, a module-based airport set would be amazing. Being able to place the terminals (with different types), parking areas, public transportation, runways, taxiways and so forth.
I actually think the airports in Simcity 4 were quite nicely sized. Although not exactly true-to life size they were pretty damn big and ate a significant parcel of land on anything below the largest plot size (even small strips). Quite well balanced between realism and gameplay imo.

Two concerns/inquiries: the first is yeah... such a small runway for such a large aircraft is... funny but not realistic. Second the space between the runway and the other tarmac has a black patch where the ground isn't leveled and greened like a normal airport; will that be in the final build?

Yeah, this airport screenshot is the first concerning thing i've seen. Far too cartoonish. Needs to be a bit more serious. Hopefully it will get alot more attention. Only one size airport is also a bit disappointing if true.

Yeah, this airport screenshot is the first concerning thing i've seen. Far too cartoonish. Needs to be a bit more serious. Hopefully it will get alot more attention. Only one size airport is also a bit disappointing if true.

Yes this was confirmed in another thread here by CO. I'll try and dig forward the quote..

I actually think the airports in Simcity 4 were quite nicely sized.
SC4 use a odd scale system which make all seem big by make everything unproportioned. The illusion works well because it is an isometric game, but in full 3D is harder to obtain the same illusion ad you can see from the airport screenshot in which the planes looks enormous but are proportioned and is the airport that is small compared to a real one
24l.jpg

Ideally I'd like to see a ploppable modular airport system much like the airport mods in SC4 and CXL, so you can build your own airport.

Perhaps there is a way to implement this while keeping things challenging, by rewarding city growth with airport upgrade parts?

SC4 use a odd scale system which make all seem big by make everything unproportioned. The illusion works well because it is an isometric game, but in full 3D is harder to obtain the same illusion ad you can see from the airport screenshot in which the planes looks enormous but are proportioned and is the airport that is small compared to a real one
http://puu.sh/bOQeV.jpg

Which parts of this would you say were particularly poorly proportioned? Genuine question. The runway isn't long enough but we know that's a gameplay consideration.

Last edited:
I'd say the terminal looks a bit small. About 4 house blocks wide. It was good for it's day, but now it's 2014 and we have big PC's and should have huge maps that can be scaled properly with almost realistic sized airports.

I agree with aerosnake. Whole ploppable airports are boring and typically ugly. Here are some thoughts on airports I would love to see.

Runways should be placed like roads
-they should be draggable
-they should have different sizes to accomodate different aircraft
-taxiways should also be placed like roads and connect/criss-cross runways for efficient taxiing
-length of runway determines aircraft

Terminals and Concourses
-You should be able to select a visual style among a variety from around the world
-Create terminals by click and draging the building to make different terminal/concourse designs. (also similar to road building mechanism but creates 3d buildings instead of 2d roads)
-should allow us to create curved terminal (MIA), satellite concourses, (ATL), etc. for example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airport_terminal#mediaviewer/File:Terminal-Configurations.png
-Allow for multi-story terminals and concourses that allow for higher capacity
-tarmac around terminal/concourses should use the same "paint/fill" tools that zones uses
-options to build train/subway/peoplemover to connect terminals

Hangars, control towers, fuel depots can still be ploppable, perhaps with different size options

Ground transportation
-should be able to use most of the road tools to build the ground transportation network for the airport
-parking (ground lots or multi-story decks) with different designs to match airport style
-park and rides, connection to highways
-"zone" taxi stands and bus terminals
-connect rail/subway station to airport

Other options
-onsite hotels and convention centers
-onsite fire station
-freight terminal
-rental car parking lot or deck

airport system should have its own mini-economy (without becoming an airport simulator)
-your city's size, wealth, economy, and tourist attractions determines basic demand for air travel services.
-this demand equates to demand for specific number of gates (determined by terminal/concourse size), and runways (terminals/concourses + runways = capacity)
-precisely meeting demand for those items makes your airport run at an average level
-capacity below demand results in bad airport grade (delays, cancellation issues etc.),
-capacity above results in high grades, (happy travelers, tourists, potential for airlines to build hubs to further boost local economy)

Lovely ideas, joesampson!

I'd also very much would like to see ploppable airports, and the additional suggestions in your post were awesome ideas! I'd also like to see modular ports.

However, I think the developers have made a good decision to push this into the future. In all honesty, it's impossible to implement everything from the start. They've made a decision and they've motivated it well. I think it's a good bet that modular airports will be one of the first things that they will look at after they have a solid base game.

Another issue with realistic airports are that the map size are still too small for it. A realistic airport would take up at least one third of the whole city. I really hope that they will find a solution so that we can have even larger maps without it interfering too much with performance.

Yes it would be great if they would supply us with all the parts and necessities that is needed to create the airport that the city or metropolitan can support through taxes grants etc.. .The more passengers or cargo flow that you create. The government or game issue you a certain amount of money to pay for extensions of the airport such as a runway extension etc. This also applies to government institution like train stations shipping area schools hospitals fire stations etc.

Last edited:
Hopefully they have four sizes of airport small, Regional, Domestic and International.

Rather then small, I often see them referred to as "Executive" Airports. They are mostly occupied by biplanes and small Jets owned by the "richers." This one is about half an hour away from me, the Monmouth Executive Airport.
Oh another neat thing that I believe this runway is used for is Biplane Advertisements, I havnt noticed it on any other beaches, but if you go to the Jersey Shore you will find them flying up the coast.

IMG_5350%20C%201200%20W%20300dpi.jpg

-cc434249f765e64e.jpg

That thing would be as big if not bigger than a "regional" airport. That is a fairly substantial runway right there. I imagine by "small" he means ones that just handle light aircraft.

Last edited: