Airplane Equipment Conversion Question

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

karl2025

Second Lieutenant
96 Badges
May 31, 2004
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Magicka
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Semper Fi
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
Whenever I upgrade my aircraft and try to convert the old aircraft into a new version, it will try to convert every outdated airframe of the same size, regardless of what kind of plane it is. Is there a way to only convert old fighters into new fighters, old naval bombers into new naval bombers, etc, without it trying to convert my old fighters into new naval bombers?

Untitled.png

Whenever I upgrade my aircraft and try to convert the old aircraft into a new version, it will try to convert every outdated airframe of the same size, regardless of what kind of plane it is. Is there a way to only convert old fighters into new fighters, old naval bombers into new naval bombers, etc, without it trying to convert my old fighters into new naval bombers?

View attachment 1081438
The only way to make it so you can have multiple airframe models is to use the equipment tags. Have one you use for Fighters and one for Naval Bombers. They do have to match.

Reactions:
Could you also help me to understand how the airplane conversation cost is calculated.
This isn't the detailed description you want, but, the more differences between old and new, the more it costs, and it also depends on what differs. Some differences cost more.

What I haven't completely understood is why some things *won't* be included for conversion, but will be for another type. It's possible that if the conversion is higher cost than building a new one, it's not eligible. Including some foreign aircraft. Some are included, some are not.

Not sure about that.

I also don't know if anyone has broken down conversion costs anywhere. Is there anything governing it outside of opaque code?

The only way to make it so you can have multiple airframe models is to use the equipment tags. Have one you use for Fighters and one for Naval Bombers. They do have to match.
This thing here? I have tagged them differently. It only seems to affect the reinforcement of the air wings, which it was doing right already. The conversion stuff was still trying to convert all light air frames.

1707442134672.png

1707442177573.png

Only planes marked obsolete will be converted, so you just need to mark the designs you would like to keep as active on the production screen
As I stated, both the fighter and the naval bomber need to be converted. I'm trying to convert the old planes into their newer versions, but the fighter production is trying to convert both fighters and naval bombers into fighters. The naval bomber production likewise tries to convert both fighters and naval bombers into naval bombers. I want to only convert fighters into fighters and only convert naval bombers into naval bombers.

This thing here? I have tagged them differently. It only seems to affect the reinforcement of the air wings, which it was doing right already. The conversion stuff was still trying to convert all light air frames.

View attachment 1081686
View attachment 1081687
Yes that should have worked or it did the last time I bothered with doing multiple versions of light airframes but i guess things change all the time.

As I stated, both the fighter and the naval bomber need to be converted. I'm trying to convert the old planes into their newer versions, but the fighter production is trying to convert both fighters and naval bombers into fighters. The naval bomber production likewise tries to convert both fighters and naval bombers into naval bombers. I want to only convert fighters into fighters and only convert naval bombers into naval bombers.
You have to convert one of them at a time. Mark as obsolete only the model that you're converting, finish converting, then mark the next one obsolete and move on to upgrading that one. Thankfully, the new MIOs introduced so much more tedium related to upgrading equipment that this nonsense with planes (and tank variants to a lesser degree) no longer seems all that annoying by comparison.

Reactions:
Could you also help me to understand how the airplane conversation cost is calculated.
I also don't know if anyone has broken down conversion costs anywhere. Is there anything governing it outside of opaque code?
Find my thread on converting inherited planes. There you'll find equipment slot conversion and the mighty @Corpse Fool explained the conversion overhead (similar to naval upgrade overhead).

Reactions: