• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CORE was the main reason I kept playing HoI1 and 2 for a while because of some of the oddities of the vanilla.

Sort of like Magni Mundi of EU3... I would have quit EU3 years before now.

If nothing else good can be said about Paradox games is that the mods are good.

Oh yeah EU3 was somewhat playable when nappy picked up the speed but In Nomine and MMP made the game fun. Now if they would only finish MMP2.

I have not played Rome in ages. Is Vae Victus with a mod good yet?

*dreams about complaining about Vicki 2* :(

edit: Should say original EU3 was
banghead.gif

Last edited:
Well I've been playing CW since Shogun but haven't bought anything after TW:Rome so I can't comment on the newer games and I've been with Paradox since Hearts of Iron, and it's the only series of theirs that I have played. I found them to be completely different experiences and attempting to compare them tit for tat is a bit silly. However, I was interested in purchasing both TW:M2 and E:TW but after hearing all the complaints of the AI had not done so...however thanks to this thread I checked out their website and they have a Westeros MOD...I may have to pick it up just for the mod as it was the Total Realism mod that made Rome so much fun.

Anyone thinking of doing a Westeros Mod for HoI3? Cause the HoI2 one kinda died... :)

Kinda rambly but basically the game play and expectations of the two series are different, however, the AI should still work for what it is intended and if it isn't working then it is an insult to compare said game with one who's AI is working.

Well I've been playing CW since Shogun but haven't bought anything after TW:Rome so I can't comment on the newer games
To quickly answer that, the two games that have been released after R:TW are M2:TW and E:TW.

Short short summary, M2:TW at release was next to unplayable (bugs galore), in the end it didnt turn out bad at all, it just took an awful long time getting there.

E:TW is a joke, the most abysmal game released this year by far, the bugs are really too many to describe, some are also game breakers. I gave up playing it a couple of months ago, and havent missed it. For having a dev team like 3 times the size of what they had for RTW, and still managing to simplify or even flat out remove features that RTW had..well.. its not impressive in my book :)

R:TW is easily the best game CA has made in my opinion.

Well I wouldn't say the HoI 2 AI functioned, it just functioned better after some long time. I admit to being guilty of not playing HoI2 in quite some time but I recall there being something irritating about it that finally made me fed up enough to put it down.

I would like to see an AAR that shows the allied forces fighting together to liberate France while island hopping against Japan then I would be very happy.

The bogus aar's leading up to E:TW release have left me in a not so good mood.

I LOVED R:TW:TR and had insane hours of fun with that but I also loved M:TW because you could prevent the Byzantine Empire from collapsing of course my favorite was taking Denmark and going on a conquering spree :)

So M2:TW is functioning now? AKA you would recommend it?

Edit: Woops that's probably off topic and I should have PM'd this...my bad

To quickly answer that, the two games that have been released after R:TW are M2:TW and E:TW.

Short short summary, M2:TW at release was next to unplayable (bugs galore), in the end it didnt turn out bad at all, it just took an awful long time getting there.

E:TW is a joke, the most abysmal game released this year by far, the bugs are really too many to describe, some are also game breakers. I gave up playing it a couple of months ago, and havent missed it. For having a dev team like 3 times the size of what they had for RTW, and still managing to simplify or even flat out remove features that RTW had..well.. its not impressive in my book :)

R:TW is easily the best game CA has made in my opinion.

Well since MTW they all have had the worst ai I think I've seen in 10 years for strategy games. The graphics are awesome and nobody was first in line before me to get Rome Total War, but, I've been sorely disappointed ever since and no longer support the brand new releases. I get them when they are a dime a dozen now and there's several good mods that people talk about.

which is exactly why i really hoped the " AI-question for Paradox" thread would give us some insight on HOI3 AI.

The way the original question was formulated was pretty vague and wouldn't get much of a response other than "yes."

There are two types of AI: one that acts somewhat intelligently to execute plans or solve problems, and one that basically just moves things around to make things in the game seem alive.

The first requires a lot of work and clever design, the second is not that big a deal and can also not really be called an "intelligence".

Paradox works with the first type of AI, while CA has the second type. I agree that by one definition, CA does not actually have an AI. I have personally always wished for them to perfect their games by actually bothering to create a seriously good AI for them and thus making them playable on the same level as the Paradox games.

While the AI in CA games have been fairly poor (unfortunately), some Paradox products have disappointed me (especially because i was looking forward to play them): Crown of the North and Two Thrones. I haven't seen any AI in those two games either...

Either a sequel or a patch that adress this would make me happy...please :D

Status
Not open for further replies.