• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

janeih

Recruit
Jul 20, 2021
Playing as Germany I have Japan surrounded in JInghong/Kunming. Chinese forces to the north are my allies. Naturally, in these circumstances I would just wait out while the Japanese army crumbled from lack of supply. But I came back to this area after a week or two busy elsewhere to see the Japanese still in full supply? So looking at the tooltips, I can see that all the units in the pocket are supplies from Jinghong. I look at the Jinghong details and I see there is a supply depot with the usual supplies, metal energy, rares. Supplies are only 6+ so with 18 unist to supply this will disappear in a day or two. I sit on this area and literally watch the supplies ticking down. Hey presto, when supplies fall to around 3 they automatically jump up to around 8. I watch this happen twice. Strange, considering being in supply is one of the central pillars of the whole HOi2 stable. I get that the AI has to cheat a bit but this seems to undercut a central plank of the whole game philosophy. Why would AoD abandon that? And why secretly?

Did you read my post? I'll repeat, if that helps: according to the game itself there are no supplies in Kunming. The supply depot is in Jinghong and the Japanese troops in both provinces are getting their supplies from the Jinghong depot. Why doesn't it say "supplied from Kunming" if that is a well known fact?
I playtested by capturing Kunming first - Jinghong supplies do not get replenished, and then capturing Jinghong first - Kunming supplies do get auto replenished. So you are correct. That is not my point. My point is that the whole thing is completely unclear. How am I supposed to know that Kunming produces supplies? they are all under direct Japanese control so Kunming is not the capital of an ally or a puppet. Where in the game is there information that would tell an enemy that the province with the replenishing supply depot is not the important one, the province with no supplies , that's the key one to attack? Or is there some list somewhere in the ether of special provinces (not capitals) that produce supplies?

Did not know that. The supply chain section of the manual says something vague about supplies working on a provincial basis in AoD. Too bad it didn't use the aimplw 5 word sentence you just used. But even given that fact the game interface is very misleading. Kunming produces supplies but the supply depot is not in kunming (even though that has troops) - its in Jinghong.! So the system produces supplies in Kunming, send them to a stockpile in Jinghong, then the troops in Kunming draw supplies from the Jinghong stockpile? Not only does it make no sense, it s what makes the attacker think jinghong is the province to target. Vey confusing. AoD reminds me of the old 1980s tabletop wargames systems - hours spent deciphering complex rules and games always won by rule lawyers who had woked out the quirks of the rules on p.189 ...