• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Olenksey

First Lieutenant
34 Badges
Sep 26, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
Hello, ladies and gentlemen, I am a relatively new player who, after several unsuccessful attempts at enjoying and succeeding at the game, finally managed to start well as Aragon.

My plan was "not colonize yourself, but get Castilian colonies due to Iberian marriage". The wiki advised it+my previous attempts at colonising were not really good, so I decided that I should leave it to the AI.

The game progressed well. Around 1468 I get the Iberian Wedding and click "yes, please, PU Castile". I suppose the first idea group was already unlocked by all Europeans. So, as we are talking about Castile, they must have already picked "exploration", right? Right?

Wrong.

Several of years pass. I discover that I can actually view the country's idea groups through the diplomacy screen (yeah, I do not have a lot of experience). I look up Castile and I see... Expansion ideas.

Yeah, they do not have exploration, but they already have expansion.

Today I went to the wiki and looked up idea groups. I learnt that 1) AI does not pick expansion if it does not have exploration and 2) if it is a subject, it will not pick exploration. So my thought "okay, for now they can't colonize but once they get the second idea group they will pick exploration and we will really hit it off" kinda flies out of the window.

Is picking expansion before exploration a bug? Do I still have any hopes of my plan "use Castile as a coloniser" succeeding? Is there a way of fixing the issue except "load the save before Castile picked their first idea"? Should I really care about colonising that much?

The issue is that I fully realised the situation only when I got to 1494. Reloading is an option, but I'd rather not pick it.

Reactions:
Today I went to the wiki and looked up idea groups. I learnt that 1) AI does not pick expansion if it does not have exploration and 2) if it is a subject, it will not pick exploration.
1) is wrong and the wiki doesn't say that. But 2) is correct. So Castile will never pick exploration ideas if you PU them before they pick their first idea group. The only way to fix that would be to go back before the iberian wedding fired(or to a save in which the event is open and reload the game every 4 months so that the event never closes)
Castile was able to get expansion ideas as their first idea group, because they bordered an uncolonized province(at the start of the game they border the uncolonized province Tenerife)
Expansion ideas might be enough for Castile to colonize something once they discovered the provinces because of natural spread. And if you have the Golden Century expansion, you have a mission to PU Portugal and you could use them to colonize for you. If you don't have the expansion, you could try to conquer part of Portugal so that they are well below 100% warscore and then vassalize them in a subsequent war. But make sure that they have at least 5 provinces in Europe, because otherwise they might Flee to Brazil

• 1Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
Castile was able to get expansion ideas as their first idea group, because they bordered an uncolonized province(at the start of the game they border the uncolonized province Tenerife)
Oh, that's what it is. The wiki did say that "having exploration" is only one of the reasons for picking expansion, but I thought "well, Castile does not qualify for any other condition, so it must be this". I forgot that it borders Tenerife. Thanks for the explanation!

If you don't have the expansion, you could try to conquer part of Portugal so that they are well below 100% warscore and then vassalize them in a subsequent war. But make sure that they have at least 5 provinces in Europe, because otherwise they might Flee to Brazil
Portugal is my staunch ally.
Whom I have a royal marriage with.
Oh, and the Portuguese ruler is 38 and has no heir. And all he has to do is to die...
Hmmm. That's a lot less work. I ought to give it a try.

Upvote 0
Oh, that's what it is. The wiki did say that "having exploration" is only one of the reasons for picking expansion, but I thought "well, Castile does not qualify for any other condition, so it must be this". I forgot that it borders Tenerife. Thanks for the explanation!

Portugal is my staunch ally.
Whom I have a royal marriage with.
Oh, and the Portuguese ruler is 38 and has no heir. And all he has to do is to die...
Hmmm. That's a lot less work. I ought to give it a try.
Portugal is super easy to PU if you can get them to fight England a bit before, and then break allaince before truce is up

• 1Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
I think subject nations can pick Expansion if they have a colonist in their national ideas. I released Asturias as a vassal once and they took Expansion, just not Exploration. It was enough for them to form Colonial Brazil.

Upvote 0
Why not just get someone else to share maps and then share those maps with Castile? They should have 2 colonists with expansion ideas. Just be careful because if they grow too much, you won't be able to form Spain.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0
I do wish PU subjects would pick exploration.

When you get the PU over Castile from the Iberian Wedding as Aragon, a Castile that takes Exploration is far more useful than one that takes Economic/Espionage or something.

One time as England, I got a first 10 years PU over Portugal, but it was pretty much useless because they never bothered colonising.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Upvote 0