• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Can't really say that I like the mountain penalty idea, it will seriously cripple some countries that historically managed to build up a very effective railroad network. Japan comes to mind first.

Loved the tradegoods screen though, was certainly needed.

Can't really say that I like the mountain penalty idea, it will seriously cripple some countries that historically managed to build up a very effective railroad network. Japan comes to mind first.

Loved the tradegoods screen though, was certainly needed.

What if each terrain type had penalties associated with production efficiency? Right now, all terrain types are base 0%, but if terrain types had penalties up to, say, 20-30% or so it could be interesting. Two levels of railroad would, essential, bring that province up to par with a plains province; and later in the Railroad tech tree, say level 3 or 4, there could be inventions which would offset this base penalty so high tech rail would still be a worthwhile investment in these provinces.

Speaking of railroads, they are now affected by terrain. Different terrain types require a certain tech level for you to be able to construct the railroad there, so for example to build in the Alps you might be required to have level 4 researched. This minimum level also works as a penalty so a level 4 railroad in mountains will only effectively work like a level 1 basic railroad. These things combined should hopefully make for some more interesting choices on where to build your railway net.

Awesome! I've been asking for this since Vicky 1 came out. A great improvement! Looking forward to this addition!

It should probably be unlocked via military tech. I'm saying this because Prussia was the first to use railways for military purposes in the 1860's and it gave them a massive advantage during the Austro-Prussian War.

Uh, I think the Americans beat them to the punch on that by more than a few years(and I wouldn't be surprised to learn of some smaller-scale conflicts that may pre-dated the American Civil War where one or both sides made extensive use of rail). The Austro-Prussian War was fought in 1866, while the American Civil War was fought from 1861 to 1865. The Union made extensive use of railroads for troop movements and logistical support from the onset, as well as more than a few artillery pieces that were permanently mounted to rail-cars. Which also wasn't to mention the extensive use of the Telegraph(which normally ran alongside rail lines) by Lincoln throughout the duration of the war.

In fact a number of battles fought in Virginia specifically, as well as elsewhere, were fought specifically over control of rail lines. Getting even more into the historical side of things, part of the reason why Sherman's March to the sea specifically targeted Atlanta was because it was a major Rail Hub for the south and knocking out Atlanta(and their reason for wrapping railroad tracks around trees) did significant damage to the Confederacy's ability to support and supply their Armies further to the north.

Some nations simply took better notes on what the Americans had been doing with the railroads(and the Telegraph) than others did...

Uh, I think the Americans beat them to the punch on that by more than a few years(and I wouldn't be surprised to learn of some smaller-scale conflicts that may pre-dated the American Civil War where one or both sides made extensive use of rail). The Austro-Prussian War was fought in 1866, while the American Civil War was fought from 1861 to 1865. The Union made extensive use of railroads for troop movements and logistical support from the onset, as well as more than a few artillery pieces that were permanently mounted to rail-cars. Which also wasn't to mention the extensive use of the Telegraph(which normally ran alongside rail lines) by Lincoln throughout the duration of the war.

In fact a number of battles fought in Virginia specifically, as well as elsewhere, were fought specifically over control of rail lines. Getting even more into the historical side of things, part of the reason why Sherman's March to the sea specifically targeted Atlanta was because it was a major Rail Hub for the south and knocking out Atlanta(and their reason for wrapping railroad tracks around trees) did significant damage to the Confederacy's ability to support and supply their Armies further to the north.

Some nations simply took better notes on what the Americans had been doing with the railroads(and the Telegraph) than others did...
just a note the ACW is hardly a major interest for most non US citizens, so the the cut down on the geographical ditails is really good, and frankly i could accept that americans did the advances, but why the heck ~all historians doesn`t praise the wonderful organisation of US army, but for Prussians, they did.

Check the v2 map before commenting : Japan hasn't got a single mountain province, and only 1/3 of their starting provinces are hills, the rest is woods and plains.