• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

podcat

Game Director <unannounced>
Paradox Staff
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Paradox Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
Welcome to this week's development mini diary for A House Divided. It's a mini diary because it's a Christmas special (which are traditionally associated with small things, like Ewoks). We are currently busy with bug fixing and balancing before going off a few days on Christmas holidays, but I thought it would be nice to have an update for you all.

Gifts!
Yonaz spent some time to convert the House Divided menu background into an awesome wallpaper:
AHD_1024x768.png
It shows American war ships shelling London, and I think captures the spirit of Victoria II quite well. Here is a zip file containing several sizes so you can pick one that matches your screen resolution best: View attachment ahd_wallpapers.zip

Tanks!
This week's tank is the Austro-Hungarian "Burstyn". It never got further than the design stage and never constructed. We really liked the design, and in particular the "arms" that would let it cross trenches, and so we decided to include it. here is great forum post about many of the interesting ideas incorporated in the tank: http://landships.activeboard.com/t3751147/burstyn-tank-first-functional-designed-tank-ever/.
dd13-tank.jpg

Next diary is after the holidays and will be about new map modes and other things.

And for the next expansion let's have a picture of Austria burning Washington, eh?

EDIT: also, the Burstyn will be used for Austria as well as Austria-Hungary, right?

maybe so :D my suggestion for showing Lincoln punching out Booth at the Ford theater was voted down sadly.

yes its for austria as well

Your all wrong. It should be a painting of Teddy Roosevelt, weaing nothing but his boxers, strangling an alligator with one hand and punching several Samurai Ninjas with the other.

I think you have the wrong idea, the theme is to propose outrageous or unlikely scenarios, not things that were an almost everyday occurrence.

For the record, the Star Wars Holiday Special did not have small cute ewoks. It had big hairy wookies.

ugh you are right I think. got it mixed up with those other movies. its all terrible anyway :D

And the tweaked diplomacy AI. It's on of the few things that still really bug me in the game.

was tweaking this yesterday. stuff like more logical white peaces etc. Honestly its bug fixes so I wasnt going to talk about it in any diary, but I guess I can do a summary in the last one over some of the ai challenges.

What I miss most in paradox games is a blizzard like cinematic for introduction and end game.

Ok The HoI series has one for introduction.. but nothing at end game...

The victoria is introductory cinematic is simply cute... has long road ahead of it to be considered blizzard-like... and still nothing at endgame.

The EU 3 has no real cinematic just paintings..... The EU 2 cinematic was exelent for its time.... but still nothing at end game....

Any chance to see an improvement on that aspect.... EU 3 becomes a bit boring when you conquer most of the world... give us reason to finish games!!!..

pretty sure making a blizzard quality intro costs many times more than our entire development budget, so its not likely. I kinda liked the Victoria 2 one though as it set "the ambiance" a bit.

Just in case not everybody got the message, I will try a translation:

"Help! We don´t have money, in fact we do not even know how money looks like, we are dirt poor and have to feed 27 children. PLEASE show mercy, buy more Paradox games from the World Market so that we at least partially can fulfill our life needs!"

I prefer to see it like we are artisans who have not promoted and are not quite interested to work in a factory yet :p