• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

podcat

Game Director <unannounced>
Paradox Staff
12 Badges
Jul 23, 2007
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Hearts of Iron II: Beta
  • Europa Universalis: Rome Collectors Edition
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Paradox Order
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
Welcome to this week's development diary for A House Divided. We have now presented all the major new features of AHD and are focusing on fixes and small cool ideas to make playing more interesting and streamlined, so expect this and coming diaries to be a mix of topics.

Production
First up is letting countries invest in capitalist projects, something that can really help when trying to get the industry up and running for the first time:

dd12-rr.jpg

We have also streamlined the factory interface letting you open/close/subsidize etc. all factories at once (or the type selected with the goods filters). Factories are also buildable directly from the province interface making positioning much easier.

National Focuses
We have done a few changes to national focuses. The number you get is now based on accepted cultures instead of just primary culture to help balance some nations, and you are able to set and change NF from most interfaces where states are presented, like the population and production screens. You are also able to replace any national focus when setting another, so no more need to disable those first. If you just want to cancel one there is now a quick way by just right-clicking in the province view too.

dd12-nf.jpg

Recoloring
Time for the most important diary entry: Prussia is now proper Prussian Blue color. We also fixed a couple of other colors around the world to be more distinct.

dd12_map.png

Tanks!
Today’s tank is the British Mark V. With a very iconic look and weighing in at 29 tons. It saw late action in WW1 and 400 were built and used by several countries.

dd12_tanks.png

Next week is Christmas so there will only be a short diary for you since I will be busy eating porridge and pickled fish, but it will contain some small Christmas presents :)

First up is letting countries invest in capitalist projects, something that can really help when trying to get the industry up and running for the first time
Cool. So this means I won't have always have Reactionaries in power to industrialise.

We have also streamlined the factory interface letting you open/close/subsidize etc. all factories at once (or the type selected with the goods filters). Factories are also buildable directly from the province interface making positioning much easier.
Wonderful!

National Focuses
We have done a few changes to national focuses. The number you get is now based on accepted cultures instead of just primary culture to help balance some nations,
FINALLY! Now all those pesky South Germans will actually contribute something.
Will this be affected by ruling party policy? If I have a "residency" party in power, will accepted cultures no longer contribute?

Time for the most important diary entry: Prussia is now proper Prussian Blue color. We also fixed a couple of other colors around the world to be more distinct.
Prussia looks pretty good. I liked the original Swiss colour, but I can live with it. But Belgium's too close to the Netherlands now. And why change Baden? I guess because both them and Würtemberg are greenish, but I've never had any problems telling them apart.

Last edited:
Those interface improvements will come in handy, and the investing is a nice touch.

AHD seems to be Vicky2's IN. Great changes.

Interesting.

The reguarding the investment in capitalist projects feature. I can't quite figure out how it would work. Does the player allocate a one off payment that reduces the amount the capitalists have to pay to start building the railway/factory ? or does it work some other way.

The investment looks as though it's done at the state level. Does all the money allocated as investment get used by the first building project in the state? Or is it a constant value that is withdrawn from the countrys treasury each time a capitalist starts a project thats eligable for investment?

Would I be correct in assuming that a Laise faire governing party would not allow the use of this feature? or is it available for all?

Thank you.

Prussia and Switzerland look nice now, but Belgium's too close to the Netherlands now. And why change Baden?
At a guess I would say to differentiate it from Wurttemberg, and possibly Italy.

Those are definitely good improvements that facilitate how the game will work. I'm just a little sad that there are finally no lower houses. But the ability to invest in a prokect is something.

The investment looks as though it's done at the state level. Does all the money allocated as investment get used by the first building project in the state? Or is it a constant value that is withdrawn from the countrys treasury each time a capitalist starts a project thats eligable for investment?

Would I be correct in assuming that a Laise faire governing party would not allow the use of this feature? or is it available for all?

you pick a project from the project screen and can allocate a sum of money to it to help construct it. You can do this several times if you want. Laise faire parties do not get access to this, but they get much much cheaper building instead.

At a guess I would say to differentiate it from Wurttemberg, and possibly Italy.
I suppose. I've never had trouble telling them apart. I'd rather see them make the borders visible, like this:
v211.png
I'm personally not a fan of really bright or saturated colours, but it's easy enough to change.

Question: has anything been done to keep Austria from DOWing Denmark on day 1?

I suppose. I've never had trouble telling them apart. I'd rather see them make the borders visible, like this:
v211.png
I'm personally not a fan of really bright or saturated colours, but it's easy enough to change.
Oh! I really am in love with this borders.
mr Podcat, please set up it!

You don't understand my reaction about the lower house? Since this is one of the last DDs and they said there would be nothing more, my hopes for a change about this will have to wait for another expansion or another game (still, I'll buy this expansion, since there are many good things). I know there are already one lower house in the original game, but I would have like to see a screen for it and the possibility to make the political parties in a coalition more difficult to manage. I posted few times advoxcating that a coalition should have more restrictions and eventually lose the power if they stay out of their comfort zone for too long.

I'm glad that most of the problem/improvement the players were noticing are taking care of but I would have like it if internal politic had had even more love.

You don't understand my reaction about the lower house? Since this is one of the last DDs and they said there would be nothing more, my hopes for a change about this will have to wait for another expansion or another game (still, I'll buy this expansion, since there are many good things). I know there are already one lower house in the original game, but I would have like to see a screen for it and the possibility to make the political parties in a coalition more difficult to manage. I posted few times advoxcating that a coalition should have more restrictions and eventually lose the power if they stay out of their comfort zone for too long.

I'm glad that most of the problem/improvement the players were noticing are taking care of but I would have like it if internal politic had had even more love.

Its been a long time since I played Vicky I, but I actually don't recall it having lower houses.

I'm not at home yet, but I remember struggling to see in the Trade window the items I import the most and order them ascending or descending in all the sub-windows at the bottom of the screen. Has this been fixed?

Last edited:
Its been a long time since I played Vicky I, but I actually don't recall it having lower houses.

The elections are supposed to simulate a lower house that gets voted into power. Gonna chime in and say I would love more specific representation of the houses though, including actual seats instead of percentages and more detailed internal politics. But anything of the sort is gonna have to wait.

By the way, is there any chance you might release your made-up flags on wallpaper size? I think quite a bunch of ahistorical ones are very nice.