Age of Wonders: Planetfall Gameplay Reveal - Q&A Thread

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As a corollary to to the above, "How many units for a Faction are Core(and what tiers), versus Researched?"
(I doubt this varies per faction, although unit roles might be shuffled between tiers, of course, and they should be.)

Personally, I'm guessing of the "8 Units per race + 2 Racial ships and a Colonizer," we might have three T1, one T2, and a Ship(T2?) can be produced without research, but requiring buildings outside of the first T1 unit. Plus the Colonizer. Leaving five Faction units(second T2, two T3's, T3 Ship and a T4?) being researched. Or possibly, T1, T2, T3, T3 Ship, T4. AoW3 had T1 unit research at T2 tech still, after all.

With the secret tech unit research coming in as well, I think only having five units to research from the Faction itself seems fine to me. It's really the Mods, and the diversity they provide, that will show the faction identity, I imagine.

That depends, though, on the following question:
"How many tiers of research are there, and how do they correlate to unit tiers?"

AoW3 had seven research tiers, but even tier 4 units, were only tier 6 research(Sage Empire Quest was notable for being completed with either T6 or T7 research). The only tech screen image we've seen has the Vanguard units start at tier 2 research, and then one unit per tier after at 3 and 4.

Last edited:
In AoW3 PBEM was added at a later stage. Will PBEM be available at release? And if yes, will it have matchmaking functions or even a ladder system?
I surely hope so, cause there are Borrel Bragging Rights grudges to be settled!

I like to see:
1. How the research works (like some other people mentioned this)
2. How it feels to play the game, general game flow, different ways to approach the game (eg aggressive vs. non-aggressive), different strategic options etc - like the different decisions that have to be made while playing, and the pros and cons for different options
3. PBEM-options & info - but I guess this can wait for another dev-update

Hope to join the stream while eating my dinner :)

I'm watching it now on phone, transitioning to computer when I get home soon.

Got to say, the questions in the chat room
...seem a bit bone headed and/or ignorant.

One guy thinks it's a series of XCOM missions...

Start of the end of the world I declare.

edit:

thoughts, now that the stream is over (with edits and updates as I rewatch it):

1. water bases confirmed, that's nice.
  2. HP indicator looks sexy.
  3. Graphics in general look pretty cool, and readable.
  4. Hero creation looks like fun. Also, perks give you some choice before you begin the game, so a bit more fun. Hopefully even nicer than in shadow magic, and hopefully balanced enough that there isn't a single best perk or combo.
  5. nanite injector (mod) and nanite support station are clearly OP. NERFFFFF OMG> :p
  6. sector overlay is pretty damned cool. Lets you see what is in there, and facilitates deciding whether or not to capture it.
  7. Looks like there is a built in delay from claiming a sector (1 turn) to building a forward base to actually being able to use it. This is akin to laying claim to a mine in AoW3, then capturing it, then building on it. It will have the effect of making expansion more deliberate and thoughtful.
  8. Stream was really aimed at people new to the game, and judging by the contents of the twitch, some of them are new to turn based strategy and 4 x in general. It really wasn't directed at the hardcore fans, like us on the forum or discord (speaking of which, come join https://discord.gg/cg3b77N) EDIT: this is by no way a bad thing. Actually quite clever. Now you just have to deal with people who think this is xcom in a civ shell.
  9. They used cheats to skip to the combat bits. Understandable talking into the last point. I was a bit disappointed. I know combat is the meat and potatoes, but imho the strategic changes (e.g. sector management and rollover production) are the biggest shift in the entire series, arguably (I mean flanking in aow3 and action points - aow2 iirc - were pretty big shifts too.)
  10. twitch and/or paradoxtwitch don't allow links. Bit silly imho.

Last edited:
I have to say, while I like the way your Tech tree is built depending on your race and choices, I still don't like tech trees that you can plan through at turn 1. I found the solution in AoW 3 pretty good, and I don't see how it wouldn't be possible to pull something like that.
I also liked the MoO way of having to spend a certain amount for the research, but then you wouldn't get the tech, but research it the next turn with a certain (turn by turn depending on the amount put into it increasing) probability. I mean, this might be a way to losen things up. I think this could be pretty easily implemented:

A tech would have a research cost, but that would only be 50% of the maximum possible cost. After reaching the 50% mark, the probability is started, with 100% being a certain breakthrough.
Example: Say, a Tech costs 200 research. Then the 100% max is at 400. So, say, you have 60 research. After 3 turns you have 180 of the 200 researched. The next 60 will take you over the 50% mark of 200 to 240. So for the 4th turn your breakthrough prob would be 20%. With luck it works. If it doesn't the next 60 will put you up to 300 or 50% prob.

This would be a way to make things a tad more unpredictable.
It could also allow to not find FULL techs, but only BASIC techs, that is, suppose you'd find the above tech, you had the blueprint 200, but would still have to go for some research, the difference being you had a probability right away, once you'd start researching it.

In any case, technological research should have a few unpredictabilities, in my opinion.

That opening shot where it shows your colony flying down to the planet through the clouds is MAGIC! Also, I thought the leader customization was awesome, I love how your race and your secret tech affect your research tree and perks. And from what I could hear, it sounded like van den Bos is CRUSHING it. It's on like Donkey Kong.

Just saw the replay on twitch (which seemed to be missing the start of the stream) and really liked what I saw. Very familiar stuff for Age of Wonders fans with just the right amount of new things (sector system, casus belli and more interesting diplomacy, unit mods...) and boy does everything look pretty! I was surprised at how polished the game was looking already and you even had the music in... wouldn't mind hearing a sample of that soonish :)

In any case, technological research should have a few unpredictabilities, in my opinion.

I agree. Someone on Discord (forgive me my memory lapses) also brought up the idea that tech pickups and rewards could advance a random unresearched technology, not necessarily the one being researched at that specific moment. It is also a nifty idea, I think. Makes more sense lore-wise as well.

I agree. Someone on Discord (forgive me my memory lapses) also brought up the idea that tech pickups and rewards could advance a random unresearched technology, not necessarily the one being researched at that specific moment. It is also a nifty idea, I think. Makes more sense lore-wise as well.
I agree as well. All additions to randomness are welcome

Yeah, in AoW3 knowledge pickups always advanced what you were currently researching. A nice way to spice that up would be to apply the research to a random tech, which then makes it partly completed even if you can't yet research it. Or if it picks a tech you already have, then just have it add to your current research.

On a directed note, for your first question, while I would like to say that it's very possible for the game to be on GOG at some point, Triumph's new relationship with Paradox may have an effect on that, as I know that only the older Paradox games are available on GOG. Then again, perhaps not, as Triumph is their own development studio, and thus may have more leeway in their marketing model, as long as Triumph are the ones willing to maintain the multiple versions and updates necessary for multiple release platforms.

Battletech is new and available on GOG, so I really hope that this will be too. The relationship is more or less the same between the studios I think.

I'm very interested in this game, getting AoW3 and Alpha Centauri vibes, and this is good. :)