Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Dev Diary #62: AI Personalities & Diplomacy Improvements

Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Dev Diary #62: AI Personalities & Diplomacy Improvements

• Crusader Kings III Available Now!

The realm rejoices as Paradox Interactive announces the launch of Crusader Kings III, the latest entry in the publisher’s grand strategy role-playing game franchise. Advisors may now jockey for positions of influence and adversaries should save their schemes for another day, because on this day Crusader Kings III can be purchased on Steam, the Paradox Store, and other major online retailers.

Real Strategy Requires Cunning

BBShockwave

Colonel
10 Badges
Oct 16, 2018
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic
  • Age of Wonders
  • Age of Wonders II
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Deluxe edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Premium edition
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Revelations
This all sounds very cool and helpful! I too was often wondering what the AI wants, or why they refuse an alliance. This will help in determining what they are like and what you can do to be friendly with them - or whether you even should bother trying.
I like that you can finally trade items, that was very useful in AOW3 - even if sometimes later they ended up using those items against you. :D Such is diplomacy! As it is, currently there is little to do with allies after you shared everything you can with them.

HousePet

Field Marshal
10 Badges
Jun 16, 2018
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Season pass
I would not view this stuff as "the AI is telling me their plans". Because that is wrong.
It looks more like the AI sends a message, and your invisible team of diplomatic and intelligence advisors study the message, and provide you with a report on what the message means within the context of what you know about that Commander at the time.
So, its just more realistic.

piatmini

Recruit
1 Badges
May 26, 2020
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
For custom commanders, is there a way to set (or at least influence) the choice of AI traits they'll get?
I am wondering this as well. I like to base custom AI leaders on other characters (from other games/stories/etc). I would really like to be able to customize them to have preferences more in line with those characters.

Jordi Engel

General
Feb 18, 2019
AI Personalities are actually based on Race, Secret Tech and Perks; trying to find out what their personality is throughout the game, is part of the system. Different commander setups will have different sets of personalities that you will have to discover

• 1Like
Reactions:

blackiyto

Recruit
Jun 8, 2020
Great stuff! I love more transparency and discovering personality traits like this! Should really make the diplomatic game more interesting!