Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Dev Diary #6: Combat Units 1

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tombles

Prince of Gameplay
Paradox Staff
Triumph Studio Dev
1 Badges
Jun 12, 2018
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall Sign Up
Hello all! This DevDiary is the second in a series looking at tactical combat. Today we’re going to have a look at some of the in game units, looking at what abilities they have and what possibilities they bring to the battlefield!

KirkoVSAssaultBike.png

Each unit presented here fits into the same place onto their races’ roster, they’re all the first T2 combat unit the race has available. As you will see, we’ve been working hard to make sure that each race has their own distinct tactical feel on the battlefield.

The Vanguard Assault Bike

The Assault Bike is a high speed vehicle designed to engage enemy units at medium to close range, it mounts powerful, high impact laser weaponry but sacrifices armor along its flanks to make up for it.

AssaultBike.png

The Assault Bike’s main attack is its Focused Laser Array, a medium range (5 hex) single target attack which does a moderate amount of thermal damage. The attack also counts as a High Impact attack, meaning it will stagger many units, knocking them out of Defense Mode and draining their action points. The blast hits so hard, in fact, that Light Units will be knocked into an adjacent hex, allowing the Bike to knock units out of cover or into dangerous terrain hexes.

As a secondary attack, the Assault Bike can reconfigure its weapons to spray laser fire over the 7 hexes directly in front of it. This attack lacks the punch needed to actually displace its targets into another hex, yet it can still stagger enemy unit it hits. The short range makes this a risky maneuver, but it can be devastating if used correctly.

To quickly run over the rest of the unit card:

• The unit has 45hp and 4 armor, making it highly durable; however the Exposed Flanks property means it loses two points of armor when attacked from the back or sides.
  • 40 movement points indicates this unit moves very quickly (Standard move speeds are 40, 32 and 24)
  • The unit takes less damage from Psionic Attacks, but more from Arc attacks. This is standard for all Mechanical units.
  • The unit is Stagger Resistant, meaning it cannot be staggered by High Impact attacks, though it can still be staggered by Massive Impact attacks, such as those from artillery.
  • All Vanguard Units gain a morale bonus while fighting in Arcadian terrain.
  • This unit is also currently in friendly territory, meaning it recovers an extra 6hp per turn on the world map.
  • Heavy Unit is a standard property given to most vehicles and larger units. It is the source of the unit’s stagger resistance, and also means the unit will not turn to face its attacker when shot at.
  • Skirmisher Unit means that this is an advanced, combat focused unit.

The Kir’ko Hidden

The Hidden are one of the descendents of the Kir’ko queens, who were wiped out by the Star Union. Bred as guerilla fighters, the Hidden championed the cause of Kir’ko rebellion from the shadows. As with all Kir’ko females, the Hidden have powerful psionic abilities, which they use to both attack and elude their foes.

Hidden.png

The Hidden attack with psionic sniper rifles, having both a high powered shot which uses up all their action points, and a short range snap shot which they can use after moving. The damage output of the rifle is slightly lower than that of other sniper rifles, but this is balanced out by the fact that psionic attacks completely bypass a unit’s armor (though they are still blocked by shields)

The Hidden also have the ability to teleport short distances across the battlefield using Shrouded Step. Shrouded Step also creates a 7 hex smoke screen at the location the unit is teleporting to, providing a safe place to hide for the Hidden and its allies.

As its name suggests the Hidden is also a capable stealth unit, with Universal Camoflage granting it concealment in all types of terrain. It also has a special Defense Mode called Evasion, where the standard defense mode makes a unit 25% harder to hit, Evasion makes a unit 50% harder hit.

Looking at the rest of the unit card:

• 45hp and 1 armor mean this unit is fairly fragile. It relies on not getting hit to stay alive.
  • 32 move points is the standard move speed for most units
  • All Kir’ko units get a morale bonus when fighting in Fungal terrain.
  • Like most snipers, the Hidden can use Overwatch. Improved Overwatch means that she gets an accuracy bonus for overwatch shots.
  • Rapid Regeneration is a standard Kir’ko ability, meaning the unit heals an extra 6hp per turn on the world map.
  • The Kir’ko are all latently psionic, and when they form groups this psionic power manifests itself as a protective shield. Swarm Shields grants a Kir’ko 2 shields when it is adjacent to another Kir’ko.

And that’s it for this week! Next week we’ll continue this series looking at the Amazon and Dvar units that fill in this role!

Interesting! I couldn't do anything but laugh at the "ancient" description of the motorbikes, a bit Mad Max and Akira-like xD

Looking forward for more units!! :)

With the driver in the bike being completely exposed from the sides and not from behind, I sort of expected 'exposed flanks' to mean side flanks.

The Universal Camouflage raises an eyebrow though. Either gone are the days when you can leave some home cities defenseless to focus on the border war or every species has a reasonable way of neutralizing this ability (Radar towers as sector upgrades? Defensive units with motion detectors?). I don't think there were completely invisible units in the previous games, any Concealment could be countered by having variable terrain.

Can't wait to see the finished 3D-models (especially of the bike).

So what are the Physics behind these pushing back lasers?

Erm... Photon momentum transfer?

The Universal Camouflage raises an eyebrow though. Either gone are the days when you can leave some home cities defenseless to focus on the border war or every species has a reasonable way of neutralizing this ability (Radar towers as sector upgrades? Defensive units with motion detectors?). I don't think there were completely invisible units in the previous games, any Concealment could be countered by having variable terrain.

We're trying to make concealment work a bit more effectively in this game, but yes all races will have mechanisms for detecting concealed units. We're also looking into various solutions that would mean leaving your cities undefended wouldn't be as harshly punished as in AoW3, where your cowardly citizens would literally surrender the moment an angry crow turned up and told them to. What it is is something for a later dev journal though!

Are shields omni-directional? Would they still fully work on a flanked bike (if it had shields?) Also can armor go into negatives? If the Bike were debuffed to 1 armor and then flanked would it take extra dmg from "-1"?

And most importantly is Wild Field supposed to be Wide Field? :p

Coming back to the pushy-pushy laser-light, how does the high impact work in combat? If you target a 'light' unit that is in front of someone, does it not get moved by the impact or does it push the entire row (if the row of units has only light units)? If you target the units behind other units, can the front units accidentally get hit (giver that they are 'in the line of fire')? What about flying units, do they get pushed back or do they risk additional damage (losing stability from the impact, potentially crashing or getting moved to some other adjacent hex)?

Are shields omni-directional? Would they still fully work on a flanked bike (if it had shields?) Also can armor go into negatives? If the Bike were debuffed to 1 armor and then flanked would it take extra dmg from "-1"?

And most importantly is Wild Field supposed to be Wide Field? :p

Shield are usually omni-directional, yes! And no, armor and shields cannot go into the negatives.

I'll fix the Wild Field thing now xD

Coming back to the pushy-pushy laser-light, how does the high impact work in combat? If you target a 'light' unit that is in front of someone, does it not get moved by the impact or does it push the entire row (if the row of units has only light units)? If you target the units behind other units, can the front units accidentally get hit (giver that they are 'in the line of fire')? What about flying units, do they get pushed back or do they risk additional damage (losing stability from the impact, potentially crashing or getting moved to some other adjacent hex)?

High Impact is actually about staggering, not displacement. But for displacement, if there's a unit in the way, then the unit might get pushed to another adjacent hex (as long as it still moves away from the shooter) otherwise it doesn't move at all. I'm afraid there's no system for pushing units into other units.

I haven't checked in a while, but I believe Flying units just get displaced like normal.

High Impact is actually about staggering, not displacement. But for displacement, if there's a unit in the way, then the unit might get pushed to another adjacent hex (as long as it still moves away from the shooter) otherwise it doesn't move at all. I'm afraid there's no system for pushing units into other units.

And the 'I shall stand in front of you so that if they try to hit you through me, there is a good chance of me blocking the shot without any chance that I myself may be in any way inconvenienced' mechanic that came in AoW3? Is it still a thing?

Do all units have the same base accuracy, or some more likely to hit than others?

And the 'I shall stand in front of you so that if they try to hit you through me, there is a good chance of me blocking the shot without any chance that I myself may be in any way inconvenienced' mechanic that came in AoW3? Is it still a thing?

Sort of, imagine A wants to shoot B, so to keep B safe you put C between them. The presence of C reduces the chance for A to hit B, either a little if C is small unit (e.g. infantry), or a lot if its a large one (e.g. a tank). If A hits B or get s a graze of B, that's all fine. However, if A misses B entirely, there is a very high chance of the attack hitting C as if A had aimed at them.

Do all units have the same base accuracy, or some more likely to hit than others?

The base accuracy of an attack is a part of the attack itself, so a sniper rifle is more accurate over a longer distance than a shotgun is. A unit can level up, or get various mods and abilities that give it an accuracy bonus to all its attacks.

How does the evasion 50% impact the damage formula?

Lowers damage received at the end or reduces chance to hit?

1 defence means 1*0.9 so an attack of 16 will hit for 15 damage?

So vanguard infantry will destroy this in a straight fight, right?

I am intrigued by the concealment changes as well.

Interesting assymetry having one unit get a fast scout and the other a sniper.

And a psionic sniper too, meaning that 16 damage bypasses all armour (even on machines? Or are those immune to psionics ?) to hit the unit's mind.

So against most targets it'll hit with 16 damage more or less. Minimum defence is one but not sure if this psionics reduces defence to one or actually ignores it entirely.

May one enquire as to how many tier 2 units there are per race?

How does the evasion 50% impact the damage formula?

Lowers damage received at the end or reduces chance to hit?

1 defence means 1*0.9 so an attack of 16 will hit for 15 damage?

So vanguard infantry will destroy this in a straight fight, right?

I am intrigued by the concealment changes as well.

Interesting assymetry having one unit get a fast scout and the other a sniper.

And a psionic sniper too, meaning that 16 damage bypasses all armour (even on machines? Or are those immune to psionics ?) to hit the unit's mind.

So against most targets it'll hit with 16 damage more or less. Minimum defence is one but not sure if this psionics reduces defence to one or actually ignores it entirely.

May one enquire as to how many tier 2 units there are per race?

Evasion means the shot is 50% less likely to hit. So, an assault rifle has a base accuracy of 90% (like most things) so if the target is not in cover and not at long range, that's your hit chance. If the target was in a normal defense mode, the hit chance would be 65% (-25%), evasion mode would make it 40%. Of course, accuracy bonuses on the shooter could push that back up.

Psionic bypasses the machines armor, but mechanical units have an inherent 4 resistance to psionics (which is functionally equivalent to 4 armor).

A vanguard marine does 3x7 damage per round to the hidden (8 damage, -1 for the hidden's armor), assuming it doesn't move, so it would need 3 turns to kill the Hidden. The sniper does 16 damage per round (or 10 if it doesn't have 3AP, like it moved or was staggered), so it needs 3 rounds as well (the marine has 35hp, and 1 armor). So, it kind of comes down to who shoots first, who is in cover, and who has to move around more. The marine certainly has a good chance to win though.

The sniper rifle currently has a range of 9 (the marines rifle is 7) but this (as well as the damage values) are obviously still open to balance changes!

Sort of, imagine A wants to shoot B, so to keep B safe you put C between them. The presence of C reduces the chance for A to hit B, either a little if C is small unit (e.g. infantry), or a lot if its a large one (e.g. a tank). If A hits B or get s a graze of B, that's all fine. However, if A misses B entirely, there is a very high chance of the attack hitting C as if A had aimed at them.
that's great!
i kinda feared it would be like Xcom where if you miss your target, you miss your target, eventough visualy your dude literlay just headshots the alien next to the selected target ;)

The more I hear about this the more I'm getting interested. It sounds like the combat system is going to be vastly different from Age of Wonders 3, but also still incredibly fun. It'll probably take a while to really get the hang of it.