Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Dev Diary #59: The Therians

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Joshua Crowder

Recruit
1 Badges
Sep 3, 2019
  • Age of Wonders III
Hey Planetfallers! Today I'll be going over the new NPC faction, the Therians.

Event_TherianFaction_Resized.png

Lore:

Born from tragic experiments to save a dying scientist’s wife from a ravaging genetic disease, the Therian Project was meant to fuse stable animal DNA with humans that were afflicted with incurable diseases.

Like all research that could ‘enhance’ humans, it didn’t take long for Terratech to get their hands on this new technology, altering and transforming those who could pay, no cost too great in attempts to perfect this new process. Society’s outcasts were the first to suffer at the hands of these experiments, eventually forming a cult-like status after their transformations proved too radical to continue as part of normal society.

Led by the mysterious and enigmatic leader Deer, the Therians took what Terratech they could get their paws on and scattered throughout the fragmenting Star Union to find a place they could call home.

Conceptualization:

The Therians came to life from mixing up the fantasy anthropomorphic animal theme with the classic renegade ‘good guy’ pirates in a playful yet futuristic take.

Therians_Sketches_01.jpg

Gameplay:

The Therians look out for each other and will fiercely defend their kin in battle. Their damage channel combines Biochemical and Kinetic damage to rend and tear enemies that get too close, allowing for unique mod combinations.

During combat, every Therian unit benefits from two unique new features: Pheromones and Therian Presence.

Pheromones are released when the unit has their health reduced by 1/3rd or more in tactical combat, this releases chemicals nearby that buff other friendly units in range. Each unit has their own unique Pheromone, allowing you to prepare for all eventualities even when the odds are stacked against you.
Therian Presence rewards players that keep their Therians close together, by healing each unit every turn in combat when adjacent to others with this ability. Keep an eye out for their dwelling and you may be able to purchase a mod that gives this power to any unit you choose.

Outside of combat, the Therians have mastered shady deals and smuggling routes. If you earn their favour, they might just teach you about their new Doctrine: Black Market Connections, granting you energy and Cosmite bonuses when selling unwanted items.

Units:

This faction is an incredibly versatile fighting force that encourages you to get into the action as soon as possible, hopefully you’ll have as much fun playing with them as we did. Despite their relatively unarmored bodies, the Therians are great at healing and buffing themselves and allies when taking damage, allowing you to shake off those first strikes in combat and show the enemy your animal ferocity.

Units – Prowler:

Prowler Bio.PNG

The Prowler is always first into fray, combining a hard-hitting medium range bio shotgun with a repeating melee attack to rip flesh and metal alike. Their Thrill Pheromone ability gives a whopping 20% damage buff that will give the edge when things get intense.

Units – Bouncer:

Bouncer Bio.PNG

If you thought rabbits were tough to catch, try chasing down the Bouncer. Augmented with powerful leg enhancements, this unit can dive right into the chaos of battle and spin round in a deadly AoE attack with their dual machine pistols. The Bouncer’s Prance Pheromones make them even tougher to hit, granting nearby friendly units with Therian Presence the Skitter buff in addition to an evasion boost.

Units – Sharpshooter:

Sharpshooter Bio.PNG

Sly, cunning, mysterious, you can call the Sharpshooter any of these, but don’t mistake these fuzzy tailed foxes for anything other than deadly. Equipped with powerful bio sniper rifles, the Sharpshooter can pick off targets from afar or heal a friendly unit with one of its health darts. When in trouble, the Sly Pheromone helps by granting a 20% critical hit chance boost to finish the fight.

Units – Chemist:

Chemist Bio.PNG

What do you get when you cross a genetically mutated squirrel with a bag of explosive acorns? A punchline with a bang!

These nutty critters have a whole bag of tricks, from destructive and de-buffing acorn grenades that spread noxious hazards, to healing and buff-granting chemicals to help their allies. Their Bioregeneration Pheromones provide a vital healing boost that can heal broken bones and cracked paws alike.

Units – Apex:

Apex Bio.PNG

700 pounds of ferocity and leadership clad in the coolest jacket this side of the galaxy is bound to inspire the Therians to fight together.

Wielding a lightweight and diamond-sharp blade with the strength to cut through anything, the Apex is terrifying sight to behold on the battlefield. If the sword wasn’t enough, this beast can jump into battle and stun even the bravest of units. Lastly the Apex can inspire all nearby friendly units and even heal with a mighty roar. The Pride Pheromone gives a hearty +2 to all resistance channels for 2 turns, letting you shrug off even the heaviest attacks.

New Mods:

Earn the trust of the Therians and they may be willing to share some of their technology with you, with items such as:
  • The DNA Injectors that let your commander transform into one of the Therian units
  • Hunter’s Camouflage systems to always count as a Flanker
  • Therian Ally Insignia to let the Therians recognize you as one of their own and benefit from their powerful buffs
  • There are loads more you’ll have to check out for yourself

Therian Mod Examples.png

So, explore your inner animal and roar with the Therians, I hope you get a kick out of the Therians when you find them, whatever side of the battlefield it’s on.

Last edited:
  • 20Like
Reactions:
Thanks!

So it is confirmed that Bouncer was visible in the first Therian screenshot that was published (top-left). I just couldn't tell from that pointy ears if it was rabbit-like, cat-lie or even a doe-like unit (Therians have a deer theme).

So the theme is "space pirates". Kinda makes sense.

I'm only bummed a little bit by the "Chemist" unit. I don't like the "funny little rodent" theme whenever there's an animal theme going on, but unfortunately for me Triumph guys find it "funny". It's too cutesey and for my taste, I would rather prefer something else, but you can't have everything. I think Triumph guys missed a very good opportunity to spoof on Rocket Rackoon from MCU if they wanted a "funny" rodent :D.

(PS: who the friggin' frig would want to turn himself into an oversized squirrel?)

I wonder how well they will be recieved by the community. I personally like anthropomorphic characters in games, but some people might find it a bit too on the ridicolous side...

EDIT: Oh, and one of their mods lets your commander turn into a Therian... seriously are there furry fans in your ranks Triumph (not to confuse with cat fans cus of that I know)? :cool:

EDIT 2: Triumph guys, can we get a Therian wallpaper pls? That first art would be ideal material :p

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions:
Compared with enigmatic and well-designed aliens/NPC from vanilla just bunch of some furries is so meh...

Haha, somehow I knew you would be the first one to criticize Zaskow :D

Wolf.jpg

Imo animal space pirate aliens makes total sense in a game that spoofs/is inspired by many fantasy/sci-fi tropes. Triumph guys are people of culture and they definately played games like Star Fox or Metroid. Plus furry aliens are a mainstay of sci-fi themed games, just look Stellaris or Master of Orion.

I personally like them more then space mutants, jellyfish jellos or sentient plants :p (I don't dislike them, I just like lizards or cat-people in games more)

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Do prowler stats mean that scavengers will be finally buffed? Dwelling units are usually slightly weaker than ther racial variants. And prowlers are stronger than scavengers right now.

Reactions:
Do prowler stats mean that scavengers will be finally buffed? Dwelling units are usually slightly weaker than ther racial variants. And prowlers are stronger than scavengers right now.

Depends from how pheromones work (range) scavenger is already better, coz assimilate, after combat repair and innate cyborg bonus.

Reactions:
I like them (well the squirrel not to much lol), but I hope there's more to the Black Market Connections doctrine, otherwise it seems to me like something you'd enable for one turn and then change it to something with continuous benefits.

Reactions:
(Okay, so the quote feature doesn't work yet.) Edit: Okay, it sort of does, and sort of doesn't.
"Do prowler stats mean that scavengers will be finally buffed?"
Nope, they are getting fluffed. XD

• 2Like
Reactions:
I for one welcome our furry overlords, and their 'Deer Leader'.

I don't think being overlords is their type of thing. They are simple space pirates that just want to make a living :D Btw I do hope the "Deer Leader" is not just for show, and maybe there's some kind of operation that summons him? Kinda like AoW 3 Horned God maybe?

PS: I see that Apex lost his cyborg arm somewhere along the way :D

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Depends from how pheromones work (range) scavenger is already better, coz assimilate, after combat repair and innate cyborg bonus.

Ehm... No? Because assimilate is 3 hp per turn if you are lucky to reach any ranged unit and hit it once (however, you should prefer shotgun in this case). After combat repair is really not important and innate cyborg bonus is probably worse than +20% dmg buff of nearby units. Stats-wise prowler has +1 melee damage compared to the scavenger, while usually dwelling units have like 1 defense or 5 hp less.

Um what? Thats a big fat no buckaroo. They are all a little bit better than their equivalents.

No, they are not. Compare, let's say, vanguard trooper vs paragon trooper.

Last edited:
Can't seriously say i like the theme but themes are useless in a 1vs1 so i couldn't care less if those are kiddy animation friendly odd looking goofy realization of someone's weird wet dream, which they totally are. Just not my dream - i dream of balance.

p.s. those art styles have nothing to do with marvel's defenders of the galaxy, right - nooothing, not even the little guy on the shoulder of the big guy :D

Right now I am neutral on the Therians. Not that they are bad, just they don't hook me.
Some of the mods look like a bit of fun, and I am curious what a moded kirko/therian stack could do.

I feel like there was a missed opportunity in the design of the Therians. with the sonic weapon type and the whole gene-spliced theme, a man-bat like unit with a sonic attack seems to be a sure fit.

• 1Like
Reactions:
The Fabulous Furry Pirates are a welcome addition to this game! I can already tell I will be making good use of this faction as allies! Chemists with so many area off effect attacks sound amazing.
And based on the Apex' bio, seems we have Mah'Reg Nib to thank for the Therian pirates too! :) Also LOL FuzzerCon...
I'm only bummed a little bit by the "Chemist" unit. I don't like the "funny little rodent" theme whenever there's an animal theme going on, but unfortunately for me Triumph guys find it "funny". It's too cutesey and for my taste, I would rather prefer something else, but you can't have everything. I think Triumph guys missed a very good opportunity to spoof on Rocket Rackoon from MCU if they wanted a "funny" rodent :D.
They look like some of the guys from M.A.S.H. after a huge binge or party that turned them into squirrels.
Trust me you won't find them as cute when they are dropping poison and slow grenades on your head! :)

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
They look like some of the guys from M.A.S.H. after a huge binge or party that turned them into squirrels.
Trust me you won't find them as cute when they are dropping poison and slow grenades on your head! :)

I know I'm stupid in applying logic in a game were we have anything from cyborgs, to shadow demons and space lizards, but it does strike me that a squirrel small enough that it can literally sit on his leaders shoulder, is a Tier III unstable one-man-army walking disaster... just, no :D

And the M.A.S.H. theme can be found in the game already, hence there are that cosmetic items that can change the look of your hero into some Vietnam War commando...

But hey, we live in a world were a fan-favourite racoon with gun is guarding galaxies :p

• 1Like
Reactions: