Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Dev Diary #59: The Therians

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Maybe that says more about the size of the Apex than the size of the Chemist ;)

Nah, you guys won't convince me! The unit isn't T3 material unless it drinks those chemicals and grows like dr. Jekyll into Mr. Hyde :p Especially when you compare it to units like this:
wXrWNiBWE8kxsFZmJYQSC5.jpg

But hey, maybe I'm yet to grow on the little guy, alas I don't need to like every unit :D

Last edited:
Reactions:
(PS: who the friggin' frig would want to turn himself into an oversized squirrel?)

Look at the banner with the units, the squirrel is on the shoulder of the apex, so no oversized at all :)

EDIT: Oh, and one of their mods lets your commander turn into a Therian... seriously are there furry fans in your ranks Triumph (not to confuse with cat fans cus of that I know)? :cool:

Let them have their fun. You may like the Therians as allies or like my you will like them as practice targets for your psynumbra powers :D

Despite their relatively unarmored bodies, the Therians are great at healing and buffing themselves and allies when taking damage, allowing you to shake off those first strikes in combat and show the enemy your animal ferocity.
But every unit has at least one armor!
That said, I am really looking forward to using their mods and units. Sharpshooter fits right into an amazon army! And bouncers just look really fun. Though the furry references are a bit on the nose... "Fuzzercon uwu" and "Maybe you're submissive and want a strong pack leader? owo"
Has it been said anywhere that the Promethean secret tech will do bonus damage to mutants? Just curious!

Reactions:
Nope, not a fan of the furry theme. There are enough goofy "just for fun" units in the game already, and this just makes it harder to role-play in any serious sci-fi themed way.

This part is especially odd -- "Led by the mysterious and enigmatic leader Deer." Have the Triumph guys ever seen deer in real life? We have "town deer" that hang out in my yard up here in the Pacific Northwest, and there is no animal more skittish and terrified of loud noises or other animals and people. They're nervous prey animals, not leaders. It just seems like an odd choice. Why not pick a lion or some other predator as leader?

Anyway, enough of that. I appreciate the work that went into the design. It's just not my thing.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Oh man, We have Star Fox, Star Wolf, and Peppy Hare Just needed a toad and a falcon and we could have had a Star Fox team! Love the Therians. Furry Space Pirates led by Lion captains. So cool.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Nope, not a fan of the furry theme. There are enough goofy "just for fun" units in the game already, and this just makes it harder to role-play in any serious sci-fi themed way.

Yeah I know not everyone is fond of anthro characters, there is some reluctance whenever "furries" appear in games/movies, but I can't agree that it's not serious enough for sci-fi. People are okay with space lizards but not humanoid animals? That doesn't make much sense to me as anthro races are common across sci-fi settings. There is a great variety in animal kingdom so they are an easy inspiration for races in space games. Plus it makes total sense lore-wise as Star Union broke many boundaries of science. If they were able to cultivate cosmic plagues, create eternal life or manipulate genetic code, it makes sense that there were also human-animal hybrid experiments, and "transforming into animals" as a form of decadence.

I can only agree on the squirel: it's goofy and not very suitable as a tier 3 unit...

This part is especially odd -- "Led by the mysterious and enigmatic leader Deer." Have the Triumph guys ever seen deer in real life? We have "town deer" that hang out in my yard up here in the Pacific Northwest, and there is no animal more skittish and terrified of loud noises or other animals and people. They're nervous prey animals, not leaders. It just seems like an odd choice. Why not pick a lion or some other predator as leader?

We still don't know much about him. In Europe deer can be a a symbol of grandeur or regality. "Deer" is a name for a whole family of animals, there are some really majestic ones like Red Deer or even big ones like Moose which is also considered a deer for specie categorization's sake. Red deers aren't cowards, especially in times of rut they can be very aggresive. Maybe he is a "symbolic" leader or a Therian scientist that so happened to take a form of a deer? There's an anime about anthro society and (mild spoiler) a charismatic deer that becomes a leader of a mob made entirely out of lions. Or maybe Triumph just thinks it's badass to have a lion with antlers and "deer" is just a symbol to unite them, he doesn't exist or he's already dead? Or it's simply irony that a faction made almost entirely of carnivores is led by a herbivore? Who knows, they still didn't show us everything about Therians.

Anyway, enough of that. I appreciate the work that went into the design. It's just not my thing.

Understandable. But I can't hide the fact that Triumph really hit all the right notes for me with what they bring to the table with Invasions.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Yeah I know not everyone is fond of anthro characters, there is some reluctance whenever "furries" appear in games/movies, but I can't agree that it's not serious enough for sci-fi. People are okay with space lizards but not humanoid animals? That doesn't make much sense to me as anthro races are common across sci-fi settings.

It's the "cuteness" that bothers me more than that they're Earth-spec animals. That squirrel... gah. GalCiv did that already with the Snathi. And the bunny, there had to be a bunny?

Anyway, I'm can ignore it, and I love everything else I've seen about the new DLC. I knew this opinion might not be popular, but it won't stop me from enjoying the game and buying all the DLC's.

Reactions:
I've never heard anyone complain about the Hyperion Saga because it contained "Furries".
Or are people that don't like the existance of Therians going to say that the Hyperion Saga wasn't a serious sci-fi setting?

I've never heard anyone complain about the Hyperion Saga because it contained "Furries".
Or are people that don't like the existance of Therians going to say that the Hyperion Saga wasn't a serious sci-fi setting?
At the risk of a derail but are you talking about the book series by Dan Simmons? Always looking for new series to read in between getting new discworld books.

On topic, I almost wish it was possible to get secret tech variants of minor factions. Because having a malictor be a tiny squirrel monster sounds funny.

Reactions:
I have to say that I am in 2 or more minds about this.
First of all, I love animals so for me furries are great. Tigrans are my favorite aow3 race. It makes me a bit sad that this NPC faction pretty much rules out the possibility of a therian full player faction. There is so much potential in the use of animal traits in units. What about a mole (tunneling/landmines), a kangaroo (giant leap/boxing), a ram (ram), a sloth (well, ok, not a sloth).

I like these units but some things not so much.
- Prowler should not be tier 1. I hope it will be buffed to t2 status. It is the werewolf of planetfall. Werewolves should be powerful, not cannon fodder. It should not be at the same power level as your most basic infantry or scout.
- Bouncer looks fun and interesting.
- Sharpshooter looks good
- Chemist looks weird. There have been many complaints about the squirrel guy. I too am slightly disgruntled. Not because it is a small tier 3 unit, that's fine. Not because it is a squirrel but because I thought it was a skunk! In one of the previous screenshots I saw this unit's icon and thought "ah, a skunk, ok, it will probably throw some gas bombs, stuff like that." So now it turns out the unit does throw gas bombs but ... it is a squirrel. This does not make sense to me. It should be a skunk! Please make it into a skunk.:)
- Apex is great, or would have been great without the antlers. I think this is a bad design decision. Please reconsider. T4 anthropomorphic lion = Awesome.
T4 anthropomorphic lion with antlers = silly.

I don't complain much or often but I felt like I needed to share my opinion here. After all, as a community we are helping a little bit to shape the game.
Over all, I know I will be very happy with Invasions

Reactions: