Age of Wonders: Planetfall – Dev Diary #36: The Syndicate Faction Part II - Gameplay

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
We've seen the Wraiths, Mirages, Subjectators, Guild Assassins, Indentured, Runners, Overseers, Zenith, Senteniels, Syndicate Colonizer, but we haven't seen the Syndicate Naval Unit.

Apparently they don't have naval units, since their vehicles float anyway

No they have only 1 Naval Unit because of their floating units, I don't know what tier. Other PC races have two naval units. I wonder what advantages the Syndicate Naval Unit will have to emcourage its use instead of just using Wraiths, Zeniths, Sentenials and Mirages for Naval battles.

As this ship won't be in the Syndicate stream today, here is a look at it:

image (29).jpg

The stream showed another unit, Syndicate Enforcer. Its can produce a psionic shield. Its tier II.

It actually makes nine buildable none naval units for the Syndicate. 1- Indentured, 2- Runners, 3- Enforcers, 4- Mirages, 5- Guild Assassins, 6- Overseers, 7- Subjectators, 8-Wraiths, 9- Zeniths. I'm guessing this is to make up for one less Naval Units, so that all PC races have 11 units? (2 Naval Units + 1 Colonizer + 8 other basic units, or 1 Guild Cruiser + Syndicate Colonizer + 9 other units for the Syndicate?).

Last edited:
The vanguard were shown to have 11 buildable non-naval units in their spotlight video from a while ago. The same number of units has been shown for Dvar, but those were never shown at the same time I think.

Youtube

Last edited:
The vanguard were shown to have 11 buildable non-naval units in their spotlight video from a while ago. The same number of units has been shown for Dvar, but never at the same time I think.

Youtube

I wasn't counting combat summons like the Senteniel or Inferno Marines, just what you build in cities . I'll take a look at the video later. I was just going on the numbers they told us.

"Race

There are 6 Races in the Planetfall. Based on the feedback from Age of Wonders 3, we have greatly expanded the unique content, flavor and mechanics for the races, meaning that each race has a unique technology tree and unit lineup. Currently each race has on average:
  • 8 Units per race + 2 Racial ships and a Colonizer
  • 8 Racial Unit Mods
  • Operations, Buildings and Society Doctrines."
But if that has increased to 11 (not including summons , naval ships, colonizer, and Secret Tech Race units), then that is very cool.

Question: What is PsiTec powered by anyway? Is it people?
I mean, we think of psychic energy as being made up of people's thoughts. Are there a bunch of people in Syndicate cities who stand around having their minds used as batteries to recharge Syndicate vehicles? Or do they somehow tap into some weird parallel dimension or something?

Judging from the various flavour texts, I'm guessing what it does it tap any latent psychic power of the user and convert that into some sort of effect.
So the user is the battery (or however psychic power works) and the PsiTec just removes the need for years to training for them to produce an effect, except that they need a different device for whatever effect they want to produce.

Judging from the various flavour texts, I'm guessing what it does it tap any latent psychic power of the user and convert that into some sort of effect.
So the user is the battery (or however psychic power works) and the PsiTec just removes the need for years to training for them to produce an effect, except that they need a different device for whatever effect they want to produce.

Actually I think Psitech uses people as a generator, it amplifies their Psionic potential, but it provides it's own batteries. The Zenith has massive Psitech batteries which I assume its crew recharges.

That's what I was thinking. Some of the PsiTec machines we've seen seem to use a ton of energy, to the point where if a pilot was powerful enough to fuel a Zenith, one would wonder why they would even need a vehicle. Infantry with PsiTec also don't appear to need any special headgear, and the Subjugator can project agony, something Kir'Ko Tormented can only do because they themselves are experiencing agony.
It seemed to imply, to me at least, that the Subjugator's agony fields are refuelled by someone else between battles. But I wasn't sure if this was the case, or just my imagination running away. For all I know, the Subjugators are just better at telling people how to feel.

I'm not sure if the Tormented are actually experiencing agony, or remembering it. Their function seems to essentially be weaponising the collective memories of what was done to the Kir'ko and throwing them back at the humans that did it in the first place.

(Or, rather, their descendants)

I'm not sure if the Tormented are actually experiencing agony, or remembering it. Their function seems to essentially be weaponising the collective memories of what was done to the Kir'ko and throwing them back at the humans that did it in the first place.

(Or, rather, their descendants)
The faction spotlight described it as a channeling their personal pain as a weapon, so it's seemingly more in the first category.

Last edited: