Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Dev Diary #31: Landmarks

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is Xenoplague's Tier 4 an infected version of Amazon's Tier 4? They looks very similar:
TCXeno.jpg

amazon-vs-vanguard-1550773365128.png

And those smaller units looks like infected Hopperhounds.

We can reasonably assume that Synthesis involves techs to turn biological units into cyborgs.
The Kir'ko's entire lineup is biological, so you could potentially have the option to completely dictate which of your units are considered cyborgs for damage purposes, likely adding armour in the process. This is all speculation, but I could definitely see a savvy Kir'ko Synthesis player completely customising their units with Borg-like precision to match the strengths and weaknesses of their intended targets.

I don't know if they make cyborgs, sound more like an abilitiy of the Assembly. For me, the Synthesis-Faction want link all people together into a big network, and not to change people in Cyborgs. But we don't know much, so anything is possible.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like this is an opportunity to throw some cool options into the game setup. For balance, there could be an map generation option that forces all landmarks within, say, 5 hexes of the start bases to either be neutral or tech-matching. Or, to add some theme to it, as part of the hero generation one of your chosen perks could be to "settle next to a landmark discovered in the ancient archives," allowing you to force the generation of a tech-matching landmark within a few hexes.

I don't think this is a good idea, because you should get encouraged to claim sectors far away from your start location and build cities at the claimed sectors. Scouting is more important and you get into conflict with other factions easier.

Is Xenoplague's Tier 4 an infected version of Amazon's Tier 4? They looks very similar:
And those smaller units looks like infected Hopperhounds.

Probably just re-using the skeletons and animations. But they are theoretically both the product of terratechs bio engineering, so there could be some shared DNA.

I don't know if they make cyborgs, sound more like an abilitiy of the Assembly. For me, the Synthesis-Faction want link all people together into a big network, and not to change people in Cyborgs. But we don't know much, so anything is possible...
Celestian seem to be the main group trying to do that 'hive mind' thing directly. I suspect Synthesis wants to link people into a more physical network, so they can eventually be uploaded into a giant computer. It fits the 'synth' part of their name, and gives other factions access to the 'cyborg' keyword, something that would otherwise not need to be its own keyword, as only the Assembly would really fit the bill.

Probably just re-using the skeletons and animations. But they are theoretically both the product of terratechs bio engineering, so there could be some shared DNA.
Maybe. It seems like Vanguard's Tier 4 has similar shape judging from its icon even though it is mechanical. Maybe T4 units being tall tripods is a way to make them large while still fitting in a single hex.

1. How unique are these landmarks? eg. how many 'Gold landmarks' will there be on average on a medium map? and how many of these Gold landmarks are unique to the map?
2. How do the number of landmarks scale to the map-size? eg. on a very small map, is it possible that some landmarks are not present?
3. Will there be map-options to control the relative occurrence of landmarks? and options to control the type of landmarks occurring?
4. Will there be map-options to control the relative strength of defenders of landmarks? (like in AOW3)
I hope for many map-options; in order to support many different playstyles.

1. totally depends per map type. Like a "Capital World" RMG profile will have more than a "Frontier World"
2. On small maps there will be fewer. Even with the base game set its unlikely that all landmark types are avaiable at once.
3. The amount yes, but no filter per exact type. That's modding territory.
4. Therer is a world threat level, but we're still playing with what PvE element it exactly scales. The most critical factor is active threat (moving armies)

Also note that its not all about the landmarks itself, landmarks are often grouped with a randomized set of other structure to create a unique sector with its own name. The secondary structures effect the economy as well as combat (like imperial defenses and hazard giving extra protections to the sector)

Celestian seem to be the main group trying to do that 'hive mind' thing directly. I suspect Synthesis wants to link people into a more physical network, so they can eventually be uploaded into a giant computer. It fits the 'synth' part of their name, and gives other factions access to the 'cyborg' keyword, something that would otherwise not need to be its own keyword, as only the Assembly would really fit the bill.

I think the Celestian-Faction want to transcendence to a new level of consciousness. About cyborgs, the Paragon-SubFaction are cyborgs too. But maybe you are right, Synthesis is something to fuse things together and before the faction get to their ultimate goal, they use cyborgs members.

Yeah, same as how Gryphons in AoW3 were built on the same "rig" as Wyverns.
They seem different though - the Amazon Arboreals seem to be basically animal-like plants made of wines, while the Xenoplague things seem to be more like tentacled alien horrors.

Good point, but high-tier filled landmarks two hexes from your home base (that should be able to pump out it's own high level units relatively efficiently) is totally different from a landmark 25 hexes away.

The more I think about it, the more it seems like this is an opportunity to throw some cool options into the game setup. For balance, there could be an map generation option that forces all landmarks within, say, 5 hexes of the start bases to either be neutral or tech-matching. Or, to add some theme to it, as part of the hero generation one of your chosen perks could be to "settle next to a landmark discovered in the ancient archives," allowing you to force the generation of a tech-matching landmark within a few hexes.
Well, at least they know the general idea is cool to get this much discussion! Lol.
I don't think landmarks release armies... that's for the raider faction "spawners".
If you played AoW3 landmarks will be more like Treasure Sites - one-visit only "lairs" you loot for bonuses and which you can only enter with a small team.
https://age-of-wonders-3.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Structures#Treasure_Sites
The difference is they will become permanent "flaggeable" structures for your economy afterwards.

So basically natural wonders from Civ. Not complaining.

I looked that up, while there are few interesting similarities to Civ Natural Wonders, the Landmarks seem way more interesting, and with a much larger effect, and bigger story to them.
I agree, they are really cool. Natural Wonders only affect you if your borders grow over them. They give you resources and might explode if they are a volcano. Other than that not much. These are much cooler.