Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Dev Diary #30: Hero Weapons, Vehicles and Mods

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LennartGS

Managing / Game Director @ Triumph
Paradox Staff
16 Badges
Jun 12, 2018
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Gettysburg
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Prison Architect
Hi there, this week we return to the heroes of Planetfall. We take a close look at their ability to wield legendary items and pilot a large variety of vehicles and mounts.

The item system is very different from Age of Wonders due to the heroes’ ability to share stand-issues Modules with regular units, the new piloting abilities and the new weapons arsenal.

Stand Issue Items

Heroes share stand-issue Modules with regular units, which get unlocked through research. Additionally the Unit-unlocks in the research tree unlock an associated hero Weapon or Vehicle nearly all of the time. For example, by researching the Amazon Tyrannodon laser dino unit, you unlock the Tyrannodon mount for your heroes as well. The Kir’ko Tormented unlocks a Psi-Shotgun for your heroes.

To access mounts and weapons of other races - including that race’ vehicles and mounts - you’ll need to add one of their colonies to your empire. Absorbing a colony unlocks the ability to research the primary units, mods and ops of that race.

When a hero dies, its standard-issue mods and vehicles get destroyed, only the legendary items survive. This is both to avoid item spam as well as avoiding many incompatible items. (psi mods are ofno use to non-spi users)

Whenever you equip a weapon you carefully need to match it to your chosen modules. Just equipping a Arc-rifle might disable cool laser mods you purchased.

Legendary Items and the Item Arsenal

Legendary Hero Items are found in the field by exploring the sites of the Star Union, or by performing quests for NPC factions. To streamline item management, we introduced the Item Arsenal. Without it, it was hard to find items that matched your hero’s specialization and mods and the interface was clunky.

First, a pickup dialog clearly shows the hero items you gained with the question you want to pick them up and send them to the arsenal or sell them.
Pickup.png

The Pick up interfac. While we were at it, we also updated the items popups to contain cleaner info.

Un-equipped Hero Items are now gathered in a single empire arsenal. This makes it easy for you to compare all items at your disposal and equip it to a matching hero. Item Couriering and per-hero inventories for unequipped items are no longer a thing. When something is unequipped it goes back to the arsenal. If you ever bought a standard-issue mod and no longer use it, it can be transferred to another hero via the arsenal.
Arsenal.png

The arsenal is part of the military overview tab, where we’ve also added a handy Hero Overview. You can use this to quickly navigate to heroes and see if they have unused slots and upgrade points. (pictured on the right)

HeroLoadout.png

Standard Issue Items - Michael has expensive tastes

Piloting Vehicles

Vehicle items are equipped in the hero’s primary weapon slot replacing the main gun/attack, with the abilities coming from the vehicle. These include active abilities, unit type identifiers. Also the base-hit points, armor and shield values are replaced with those of the vehicle. Note that Vitality and Armor level upgrades do boost those the vehicle.

Vehicles and mounts come in very different forms. When you give your commander a vehicle perk at the start of the game, you have a choice of an initial assault or support vehicle. These vehicles vary per race (Assault bike and APC for Vanguard)

When a vehicle is destroyed, the hero escapes to an adjacent hex on combat map with with 20% of its original hit points. The Hero just has its secondary weapon equipped so you have to be very careful.

So even if a vehicle doesn’t guarantee an “extra life” for you hero in combat, the pilot path still seems pretty powerful. You might ask yourself why would you ever want to be outside of a vehicle. Well, most legendary drops are not vehicles - energy swords, psi guns, etc. Mods might be incompatible with vehicles. There are many hero upgrades that work for infantry or melee roles. And keep in mind that unit attributes (large target, mechanical) might expose the hero to new types of attacks. All paths of hero specialization are viable options.

We close off with the increasingly adventurous expressions of Michael Valentine, thanks Glenn for the screen caps:
VoidhammerOvershoulder.jpg

EmberHopperhound.jpg

PhoenixBreath.jpg
RadiantForce.jpg

Baron.jpg
Sapper.jpg

TyrannodonSideways.jpg

Hoverbike.jpg

Subjugator.jpg
Wrecker.jpg

Cool evil-floaty-throne. And, wait, is that a agony-field projector built in, with which to inspire the proper Kneeling Before Zod? I want one.

Bah, I was almost first this week...

Item Couriering and per-hero inventories for unequipped items are no longer a thing. When something is unequipped it goes back to the arsenal. If you ever bought a standard-issue mod and no longer use it, it can be transferred to another hero via the arsenal.

OMG guys...think about this for a few seconds.

HUGE change.

index.php

What do the small numbers mean? The hammer has 126, the pistol 49, the mod slots 88.

Is this the number of items available for that slot?

Last edited:
Not yet sure if this is greater than what we have in AoW3 but it's looking good - hope to see some nice impact on multiplayer by the equipment slots.
Hatching an egg is so frustrating in AoW3 - 10 turns is just after the game is finished ):

omg you can actually give your heroes Baron mechs? That's pretty cool! And I see with 'reanimation collars' that contrary to popular belief, it may be the Syndicate who are the true zombie masters, rather than the Assembly.
I don't know who this Michael Valentine guy is, but I can only assume based on this that he's a famous car thief

I am consulting the data banks (my memory) and I think this was confirmed.

I think it was any vehicle and mount except the t4 stuff.

I'm not so sure. The shot with a hero using a Phoenix walker arm as a weapon implies that the Phoenix walker research gives that weapon instead of a Phoenix walker mount. So maybe not all vehicles are mounts.

My suspicion is that all hero mounts have to show the hero in one way or another. For instance, the vanguard walker could have a transparent cockpit, but the vanguard tank can't easily show the hero. So no tanks can be piloted.

The shot with a hero using a Phoenix walker arm as a weapon implies that the Phoenix walker research gives that weapon instead of a Phoenix walker mount.

Afaik this is something new, and in addition to mounts.

My suspicion is that all hero mounts have to show the hero in one way or another.

Except we've been told tanks are available as vehicles.

Plus, if your suspicion is because of the pictures here, know that those were probably chosen to show off Mr. Valentine.

The 80's aviator look is becoming a meme here.

Please tell me this last picture is WIP

Yeah it looks a bit rough, even for Assembly standards. The head sits at the same spot as the assembly skull head does, but for some reason the hero's neck is included. We can make that transition better. There is just so many items.

Can you get class vehicles like the phoenix walker as mounts?

Yes.

I'm not so sure. The shot with a hero using a Phoenix walker arm as a weapon implies that the Phoenix walker research gives that weapon instead of a Phoenix walker mount. So maybe not all vehicles are mounts.

The Phoenix walker is available as hero vehicle. Not all vehicles show the hero sticking out. (like most walkers, planes) We just picked some images that showed Valentine. On the TC map, hero vehicles will always have the portrait of the hero rendered above them + the hero / commander insignia.

LOL Michael is sure sitting on that Hopperhound quite gingerly.
And you can equip a cyborg unit and then your hero will turn into a cyborg? :D
I do love that floating throne ball witch cerebral control collars... Syndicate, I presume. :)
Love the arsenal function. Man I hated the loooong postage times when ferrying units from one end of the map to another.
I'm a bit sad that old head, accessories, right/left hands items were changed by simple mods. However, it could be better - game will show later.
True, I miss that too. Though mods will allow 4 slots for heroes, and now you basically can equip regular units with mods too... so basically give items to troops, something I always wanted.
I hope they will talk about unit advancement too someday. I am curious whether units will gain new abilities as they improve, or just HP and armor and damage.

I feel that the Arsenal system is a major improvement on every other game like this I've played, and possibly the biggest innovation I've seen in this game so far.

The car collection of Michel is really great, he must have a good job in the entertainment industry ;)

Now who is Oku Chal'Drz?
That thingy fourth from below among the commanders.

He... she... it... they? ...must be a commander but what race is that thing? Was that a sneak peek or place holder art? I need to know :(

Attachments

• OCD.png
    OCD.png
    73 KB · Views: 89
The car collection of Michel is really great, he must have a good job in the entertainment industry ;)

Now who is Oku Chal'Drz?
That thingy fourth from below among the commanders.

He... she... it... they? ...must be a commander but what race is that thing? Was that a sneak peek or place holder art? I need to know :(
The name looks Kir'ko to me...