Age of Wonders: Planetfall - Dev Diary #25: The Unifier Victory Condition

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
One thing to remember is that, from what we have seen so far, the total city count is going to be notably less than in AoW3, which also means the total dwelling count.

I'm making logical leaps here, don't quote me!
Makes sense, though. Individual sectors do seem to cover less area than dwellings and larger cities than in AoW3, but not by a huge amount. So when you have settlements potentially claiming multiple sectors around them, the overall region claimed by any given sector is likely to be greater - which, unless the map sizes themselves are significantly greater, probably means less cities and dwellings than in a typical AoW3 game. Especially for AoW3 games with multiple layers!

Maybe have the requirement as a percentage of the dwellings on the map instead? (But no letting people raze uncooperative dwellings. Count those as still there but not allied.)

Diplomacy victory is very good.
I would like an additional alternative style to it. So AI appointing you as ruler would be one. And planetary gestalt consciousness appointing you as ruler being another. Like in Alpha Centauri.

"The operation can only be launched when the player has the highest level of Reputation and the player or their Allies have annexed 3 Dwellings of NPC Factions they are at Peace with."
that would be a great thing to say somewhere in the actual game! (i had to look this up because there is no information on this on 1. the research 2. the strategic operation 3. the imperial archives) please add tooltip/info in a future update! thanks

sorry for necro

edit: it actually is in the imperial archives, but searching "unification" or "CORE" or "Planet-CORE" doesn't redirect anywhere helpful

Planetary Unification Protocol
Tier IV, Strategic Operation (Instant)
"Awaken the Planet-CORE node and petition for the status of Planetary Unifier. This will start a timer that can end the game."

Last edited:
In order to appease the planet-CORE AI to appoint a player as planetary ruler, that player needs to launch the Planetary Unification Protocol operation, which requires late-game Research to unlock and costs a large amount of Influence.
With "late-game Research", do you mean the one which unlocks the Unifier Protocol? That I can research at turn 22. I also already had 100 Influence to spend a couple of turns later. My first game after the tutorial I set to "Hard AI", and without having a clue as to what I was doing suddenly found myself at "virtuous" reputation. Everyone loves me on turn 27, and it looks like I can win this game easily without ever having engaged anyone other than a marauder. This is FAR too easy.

With "late-game Research", do you mean the one which unlocks the Unifier Protocol? That I can research at turn 22. I also already had 100 Influence to spend a couple of turns later. My first game after the tutorial I set to "Hard AI", and without having a clue as to what I was doing suddenly found myself at "virtuous" reputation. Everyone loves me on turn 27, and it looks like I can win this game easily without ever having engaged anyone other than a marauder. This is FAR too easy.
The Unifier victory condition is very hard to achieve. Therefore it makes more sense to research the Doomsday weapon and defend the sectors in which they were built.

The Unifier victory condition is very hard to achieve. Therefore it makes more sense to research the Doomsday weapon and defend the sectors in which they were built.
I have plenty of hours (perhaps 2000, but i don't know i have no count; but i play this game like endless space 2 and because i have this game from steam, i have a count with more than 2000 hours), and its seems to me that i've never make a unifier victory... or perhaps one time...

For the doomsday : This victory is by far too easy - and imo break the late game.
I typically end with doomsday victoty without the time to build any T3 units.
This is the reason why i made a "no doomsday" mod, for the empire mode (on paradox mod, because my game is not from steam, i cannot upload mods for steam... that is somewhere... stupid, isn't it ?)... This is more important thant a "no domination" for empire mode imo.
Perhaps this victory should be remade; perhaps it could be good if this victory cannot be made with allies (so if you activate it, all other players declare war on you, even your allies)... perhaps this could be modded too... I thinking about this but i'm not sure it is worth to do ?

Now that I have played a little longer I see that almost all the victory conditions are too easy, but especially doomsday. I would like to see a mod which made the opponents much more aggressive, especially once they know you have doomsday devices enabled or even doomsday buildings constructed

You have no other choice than to go for Doomsday on a large map otherwise the AI will. When he does before you, you need to first find him and send two flying stacks which will obliterate his Doomsday sectors. That´s too much stress for my liking. Been there, done that. So I tend to research it first.

Yes, going for Doomsday means T3 don´t come into play. Mine are usually built to defend the Doomsday sectors of my domain from attack. This means they mostly don´t see battle with the exception of attacking spawning NPC opponents to fulfill missions.