Age of Wonders: Planetfall – Dev Diary #22: Operations Part I - Strategic Ops

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LennartGS

Managing / Game Director @ Triumph
Paradox Staff
16 Badges
Jun 12, 2018
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Gettysburg
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Prison Architect
Hi, welcome to Planetfall Dev Journal #22. This one is part of a two week piece on Operations (Ops). This week we'll be looking at the Strategic ops system.

Operations are used to support your Armies in the field, to increase the efficiency of your Colonies and to allow you to spy on your enemies. They vary from airstrikes to missile systems to more ‘magical’ psionic effects to edicts for your people called Doctrines.

As with AoW spells, most ops are flexible buffs and debuffs, and nice direct damage stings that can tip a battle or particular geopolitical situation in your favor. The usage of basic ops requires less planning then the slow building, upgrading and positioning of armies. Combat ops play a supportive role and won’t win battles or games on their own. Doomsday weapons Ops will win a game, while high level (covert) ops take careful planning to reap great rewards.

Operation Types

The types of operations available to you are Strategic Operations, Covert Operations (both of which are only usable on the Strategic Map), Tactical Operation[ (which can only be used during combat), and Doctrines (which globally affect your empire).

Most of these operations are unlocked through research, and are dependent on the Race and Secret Tech you picked. Operations require the expenditure of Energy and operation points, and sometimes additional resources such as influence.

Strategic Operations

Strategic operations can be used to, for example, weaken enemy Armies by bombarding them or to boost your Colonies among other things. Operations targeting enemies have a chance of success and failure based on your Operational Effectiveness and the Enemy’s Operation Defense.
  • Direct Damage Effects: Such as missile strikes and orbital cannons.
  • Deployment: Instantly summons characters on the world map.
  • Colony Buffs: Boosts various types defenses of and economic effects
  • Colony Debuffs: Weakening enemy defenses and economies.
  • Sabotage: Stop enemy buffs and debuffs
  • Doomsday weapons, which form are the Tech Victories. Read more about Doomsday Weapons in the Promethean Secret Tech here.
In order to use Strategic Operations, they first have to be primed. This costs Strategic Operation Points (Yes we split strategic and tactical "casting points") and energy and after priming the operation can be launched at any target within your vision range. Some of these operations require more strategic operation points that you have available. In these instances, the operation will use Strategic Operation Points on every following turn until it has accumulated enough to be primed. The types of available Strategic Operations depend on which race and secret tech you picked. Strategic operations can be used on any valid target where you Vision.

OpsPriming.jpg

Three Dvar ops ready to be deployed, one is being primed. Prepare a Pearl Harbor surprise attack

The Priming systems allows you to ready multiple ops at once (but only one instance per operation type). Priming was added to give you more flexibility when using ops compared to AoW3’s spell system. There were many situations where you’d cast a spell over multiple turns, and then had to wait for the right moment to use it. Holding on to this readied spell would block any other strategic spells from being cast. Another advantage is that you can pause an operation from being primed and resume it later.

CelestiumPFX.jpg

Celestian Ops PFX were inspired by Spirograph graphics

Operational Strength and Defense

Operational Strength increases the chance of your Strategic Operations and Cover Ops succeeding. The higher your operational strength, the higher the success chance of your operations.

Operational Defense is a measure of how well protected you are from Strategic Operations and Covert Operations belonging to other players. The higher your operational defense, the lower the success chance of any operations that target you, your colonies and your armies.

Operation Success Chance: Covert ops have a 60% base chance of success. Each Point difference between the attacker’s Operational Strength and the defenders Operational Defense will add or subtract 5%. There caps on 10% and 90% success rate.

Your Operational Strength and Defense can be upgraded globally by researching Empire Upgrades, and enacting Doctrines. Operational Defense can also be buffed through local, per colony effects to protect you from destructive enemy attacks.

Operations that require a success roll generally have a reduced-strength failure effect, so using these ops is never in vain. Note that the outcome of a success roll affects the detection chance of Covert Ops.

Tip: A particular undisclosed faction has a Hero ability that increases Operational Effectiveness for enemy Sectors it is located in. That same faction has a doctrine that does extra damage on units of a party they have Infiltrated.

OpsWard.jpg

Selecting a target Sector for a Celestium Op
OpPyrXStrike.jpg

Strategic Ops have a results window, indicating the op was successful or failed.

OpSpreadPlague.jpg

Spreading the XenoPlague

Duration and Sabotage

Offensive economic debuff Ops have a fixed duration so it is possible to sit them out as the victim. In AoW3 you had to disjunct or they’d last forever. Of course, it is possible to cancel enemy ops; this is done through the Sabotage operation. Sabotage uses the operational offence and defense values. When a Sabotage fails it shortens the duration. The cost of Sabotage is dependent on the priming cost of the target Operation.

Operations Overview

When zooming all the way out on the world map, the Overview Map of the planet appears; one of the lenses is the Operations view, which will list the operational defense per sector as well as the icons for active localized Ops. The overview maps are still work in progress, but here is a preview:

OpsOverview.jpg

WIP Overview map listing Operational defense + Icons for active ops.

Check back next week for Ops Part II, which will deal with Covert Ops, Tactical Ops, Doctrines and I will discuss some of the crazy failed :mad: prototypes including operations using an Orbital Map layer.

Great Dev Diary, but what a cliffhanger saving all operations apart from strategic for next week :( That doesn't make waiting easier at all:eek:
Also
A particular undisclosed faction has a Hero ability that increases Operational Effectiveness for enemy Sectors it is located in. That same faction has a doctrine that does extra damage on units of a party they have Infiltrated.
sounds very very cool, so it must be syndicate :cool:

I like the inspiration for Celestian visuals, as they have an appropriately mystical feel.

The three main things that stand out to me here as being significant changes from the previous games:
1) The ability to store Operations for multiple-in-a-turn Alpha Strikes or for emergencies, although it does appear that you can't store duplicates(the left side has greyed out the ones that are primed), which is good.
2) Offensive Operations can actually fail, unlike in the previous games. This is huge.
3) None of the non-Doctrine Operations are permanent, and thus also don't cost upkeep. Take the good with the bad(in both directions of attacker/defender).

but only one instance per operation type
Does this mean one of each of the 6 types of effect or one of each operation? E.g only one direct damage effect or only one land torpedo?

Each player will have a couple of each type. Damaging an entire army multiple times or deploying an army of many units both seem too powerful, but you have primed both mountain breaker and factory overdrive, which both seem like they'd be colony buffs.

I believe it means one torpedo at a time, but that one can have:

1 torpedo
1 heaing op
etc etc primed.

Questions from the floor:

Mr Sas, how many ops are there?
One assumes one learns ops through research - are there other ways to learn ops. Basiclaly, is there a version of the crypt (? may be the haunted library) building from aow3 which gave you a spell if you cleared it?
Are there casting points?
Edit:

In several games, there is the option for a spell that turns your sheep into minotaurs, for example, or your enemies to sheep.

AoW was obviously a complete failure due to this lacking feature.

Are there plans to incorporate this in Planetfall?

The Guild of sheep-maybe-not-sheep-please-don't-ask-we're-sensitive-about-it would like to know.

Last edited:
Once per Op. So yes you can hit a single target with multiple different direct damage strikes. However, it hasn't raised big balance issues yet. World map damage is a dealt as %... and these types of strike are often about the status effects.

Mr Sas, how many ops are there?
One assumes one learns ops through research - are there other ways to learn ops. Basiclaly, is there a version of the crypt (? may be the haunted library) building from aow3 which gave you a spell if you cleared it?

The majority of ops come from Secret tech and choice of race and associated weapons tech. Additional ops you can get from the field, primarily NPC Factions.

Casting Points are split in two; tactical and strategic now have their separate pools.

As for totals, I don't have an accurate numbers at hand as things have been changing.

It looks like there are valid alternatives to just brute force technologies especially combined with the spying technologies, I'm looking forward to how much can be done with this :)

Perhaps this will answer your question?

In order to use Strategic Operations, they first have to be primed. This costs Strategic Operation Points (Yes we split strategic and tactical "casting points") and energy

This appears to be one of those rare instances where you and I totally agree.
I think we actually agree in MOST inctances, it's just that we tend to debate rather passionately the rare instances when we totally DISagree. (When we agree, there isn't much to talk about anyway, obviously.)

That said, I'd like to apologize for stupidly escalating things in the last debate we had when we totally disagreed. It didn't serve any constructive or even positive purpose, and I'm sorry for that.

Celestian tech was used in Kir'ko stream but I don't think it shows any op.
I guess they will be similar to AoW 3 theocrat's spells.
I wonder will we get dev diares for other sevret techs or just for Promethean?

I, for one, would want to keep as many strategic Ops "primed" as possible. I'm sure that others feel the same way, so I'd like to propose a Strategic Ops Priority List UI:

This list would work kind of like a build queue, except that Ops on the list would not be removed when "primed".

Your list would look like this:
1) Missile Strike
2) Economy Boost
3) Sabotage

Your Ops points would go first towards priming your first priority, then your second, etc. If you use a high-prority Op, any Op you were priming would pause, and the points would be redirected to the priority Op. What do you think?

Ludomancer

I would have to play the game for a bit to determine whether my Op preferences are going to remain static during a game.
While a build queue is a good idea, I'm not convinced that an auto queue is going to work. That assumes that I will always have the energy/influence/Op points available to have it running automatically, and I doubt that will be the case. It also assumes that I will always want certain Ops at higher priority than others. If I'm switching between war and peace throughout a game, this is unlikely to be the case. (and if my priorities never change, I'm concerned that the game sounds rather monotonous.)

I think we actually agree in MOST inctances, it's just that we tend to debate rather passionately the rare instances when we totally DISagree. (When we agree, there isn't much to talk about anyway, obviously.)

That said, I'd like to apologize for stupidly escalating things in the last debate we had when we totally disagreed. It didn't serve any constructive or even positive purpose, and I'm sorry for that.

It takes a real man to apologise. Hats off to you sir.