Age of Wonders: Planetfall – Dev Diary #21: The Dvar Faction Indepth

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

LennartGS

Managing / Game Director @ Triumph
Paradox Staff
16 Badges
Jun 12, 2018
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Gettysburg
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Magicka
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Prison Architect
Hi there, following last week’s Dvar spotlight video and preceding the December 6th 18:00 CET Dvar Gameplay stream we present you the Dvar development Journal.

Illustration_Race_Dvar_d11_t16-25.jpg

Conceptualization

We’ll be frank from the start: we wanted space dwarves in this game. As with all races, we try to find for fun angles, and of course find an origin within the Star Union. The spark of inspiration came when one of our designers came up with the race name “Dvar” it sounded a tad Russian to my ears. Why do all Dwarves seem to be portrayed as being Scottish these days? Michal (a big WWII tank nut) did the first concepts taking inspiration from the famous Russian WWII hardware for a sturdy 'dieselpunk' feel. As for their society; we made them hyper-capitalist with society organized in rival consortia. Society is Oligarchic instead of Communist. Dwarves, Russian military aesthetics, natural resources, mining, hard-ass. Everything clicked, the Dvar were born.

Dvar_ConceptLineUp.jpg

Some of the Dvar Unit Concepts.
History:

The Dvar originate from mining consortia sent out to strip worlds of their natural resources. Dvar pride themselves as being the hardest of survivors. Visitors to their home world will support that claim, as after the collapse the Dvar’ were marooned on a barely habitable planet with an elliptical orbit, causing it to be scorched during short blazing summers and then frozen by eternal winters. To make matters worse, their world passes through an asteroid belt, causing a yearly bombardment of giant rocks. This environment made the Dvars to evolve as a bunker dwelling species and see nature as something that needs to be distrusted and looted as soon as a window of opportunity arises.

The Dvar are organized in Consortiums, where each Dvar is a partner in securing their group’s survival and wealth. The Consortiums are led by an upper class Oligarchy of the richest families. Although the cynical, hard-working drinking Dvar regards the rich with distrust, their sense of company community is strong. They live for the competition with the other Consortia and work hard to further their Consortium’s wealth and standing.

DvarArchitecture.jpg
Some pittoresque Dvar Habitats

Dvar Commanders and Heroes

In Tolkien lore, dwarf females are a mystery to outsiders. In Planetfall, nobody has seen a Dvar’s face, as they are protected by D-VR haz-mat suits. But Dvar still express their personality. Tubular Beards and Mustaches, all sorts of Goggles defining expression, and cool head gear. Of course the suits can be further customized with furs and capes.
Dvar_HeroHeadGear.jpg

The Dvar Rocket Hammer is a popular hero option:

Dvar_Hero1.jpg

Promethean equipment is a striking combo for the Dvar. Not just for the hero, it allows them to turtle in their extra strong bunkers towards a Doomsday Victory: First strip mine a planet, when they are done - set it on fire.

Dvar_Hero2.jpg

Dvar Techs

Here are excerpts from the Dvar tech tree. It is themed on maximizing their resource extraction potential, and upgrading their D-VR suits with survival abilities.

• DVR Operation Defense Bulwark [Colony Upgrade]: Units get Morale Bonus, Colonies get 2 Operational Defense points
  • Fortification Tools [Unit Mod]: Strengthens Trenches to become fortified (only destroyed by siege weapons). Heal within trenches HP per combat turn. Unit gets extra armor.
  • Explosive Resistant Armor [Mod]: 8 Resistance against explosive attacks. Stagger Resistance. +1 Armor.
  • Land Torpedo [Strategic Op]: Torpedo strikes target causing kinetic damage and slows the army’s units for two turns.
  • Tectonic Shift. Stratetic [Op]: Spawns mountain overlays and a Geothermal Instability. (-50% Sector income, no unit regeneration. In combat Units take fire damage chance to cause burning). This is Tier IX tech.
Dvar_LorePoster.jpg

The Dvar get their name from their Redcore DV-R mining suit.

Explosive Tech Group: The Dvar is (so far) the only race to use Explosive tech group. Some of its Mods and Ops include:

• Guided Delivery Mechanisms [Unit Module]: Increases range by 2 hexes, increases accuracy and damage.
  • Smart Payload [Unit Module]: Ignores Friends (handy in wide area of attack). Raises Stagger Impact Level.
  • Creeping Barrage [Tactical Op]: An artillery strike lasting three rounds, each rounds the AoE is increased by 1 hex.
  • Tactical Nuclear Strike [Tactical Op]: Massive Impact in wide area. Every unit in combat has a chance to become blinded.
DvarTechTree.jpg

Dvar Doctrines: The Policies of the Dvar focus on exploitation production and fortification.
  • Native Displacement Act: A couple of unfortunates are not standing in the way of Dvar Progress. Influence cost to remove NPC armies is lowered.
  • Revised Safety Regulation: Structures built in sectors costs less energy and production
  • Fortification Efforts: Extra HP to Militia, Extra Armor for Turrets. Defensive Structures cheaper to make
  • Cosmite Collection Program: Boost income from Cosmite Nodes
  • Military Industrial Complex: Rushing Units is 25% Cheaper. Upkeep of Heavy Units is reduced by 50%. (Steamroll the enemy with tanks)
  • Chrysocracy: Colonists provide +1 prod and +1 energy if they work in the respective slots. Commander and heroes gain 20% XP
Dvar Units

Here are some of the Dvar Units card. Note we’ll be showing more in next week’s gameplay stream. (The Ramjet and Baron)

Prospector: Non-flying scout. Has the ability to Prospect Sectors, which will provide energy and production.
Dvar_Unit_Prospector.jpg

Trencher:
Spike Gun with a Shield Bash make for a great storm trooper.
Dvar_Unit_Trencher.jpg

Foreman:
Can incentivize troops as well as lob grenades with its portable launcher.
Dvar_Unit_Foreman.jpg

Sapper:
Can reposition using tunneling. Seismic Charge staggers unit.
Dvar_Unit_Sapper.jpg

Excavator Tank:
Can bash enemies.
Dvar_Unit_Tank.jpg

Bulwark:
Mech with Unlimited Overwatch. Poor Kir'ko.
Dvar_Unit_Bulwark.jpg

Rocket Artillery:
Lay wastes to a large area. The payloads of the rockets can be upgraded in many ways.
Dvar_Unit_RocketArtillery.jpg

Earth Crusher:
Industrial complex on wheels. Can crack the earth open for researches, but turns it into badlands.
Dvar_Unit_EarthCrusher.jpg

Dvar Gameplay Summary

The Dvar value industriousness and efficiency above all other virtues, and their gameplay style reflects that. They specialize in rapidly producing infrastructure and armies, and making the most of their environment. Their Prospector scouts are equipped with tool that allow them to gather resources from the wilderness as they explore, sacrificing exploration for more profits.

The Dvar's history with heavy industrial machinery has led to the development massive war machines, making them an ideal choice for a more warlike approach to the game. Their terraforming abilities allow them to cause havoc to the economies of enemies, while they have early game tech to adapt to Badlands sectors themselves.

Although not particularly suited to diplomacy, their experience of dealing with the natives gives them bonuses for peacefully removing them from valuable resources on the map.

The Dvar’s industriousness makes them a great match with Doomsday Victories.

The Dvar favor a straightforward approach to combat, with heavy armor and the ability to create their own cover giving them a deliberate and defensive combat style. On the offensive, the Dvar have access to the unique explosives weapon tech, specializing in dealing damage over a wide area. For more focused damage, the Dvar rely on firearms, and when all else fails, simply crashing their vehicles into their unfortunate targets.

Thursday Next Week: Check back for the Dvar Gameplay Stream – we’ll have things the Ram Jet, The Baron Dvar Units, and likely some Synthesis and Autonom. Mark your agenda: December 6th 18:00 CET / 12:00PM EST https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Looking good. The Foreman's Mongol beard looks a little funny to me, but I guess beards are supposed to. Glad you went for the Russian style, not the Soviet style. Works way better.

Ah, so you can equip heroes with the tools used by Secret Tech units. I imagine this means you can also equip them with similar unit mods too. Could your Vanguard hero get a jetpack? I've also wondered what kind of vehicles a hero can pilot. Can you put your Dvar hero in an Earth Crusher? How about a Vanguard hero in a Gunship? How about a Phoenix Walker or Aegis Tank?

Heroes tend to have most of the vehicles available from the research tree, but not all. Tier IVs are all excluded. The Dvar have a good choice as many of their units are vehicles: the Prospector, Sapper, Ramjet, Baron, Bulwark and Excavator Tank. The Higher tier vehicles require Advanced Piloting. Your hero needs to be Lvl 10+ Races that have smaller sets of vehicles have shared Imperial Vehicles.

First strip mine a planet, when they are done set it on fire.

Seems fine to me :)

I look forward to the other species, the Dvar are great with a Dieselpunk vibe, interesting choice in a space sci-fy game by the way, but i like more other species, the mechanical body horror of the assembly and the mysterious mysteriousness of the syndicate. Still great faction i will enjoy destroying and crushing them :)

[EDIT]
We finally have a confirmed name for the "-sis" secret tech, yay! "Synthesis"
[/EDIT]

The even greater portion than usual of concept art and backstory is much appreciated. Also, the unit flavor texts are excellent, as always. I wonder if the Sapper is referring to an origin for the Amazon faction, if they're not a 'rogue' group of Star Union geneticists like first thought.

The level of detail in the in-game unit art is a huge step up, and makes me extra glad I just upgraded my computer situation (or rather, will have the parts to build a new one coming in next week). My currently seven year old computer, with an eight year old graphics card is unhappy with me from time to time. Still works, but... yeah.
DVR Operation Defense Bulwark [Colony Upgrade]: Units get Morale Bonuis, Colonies get 2 Ops points
Fortification Tools [Unit Mod]: Strengthens Trenches to become fortified (only destoyed by siege weapons). Heal within trenches HP per combat turn. Unit gets extra armor.
Explosive Resistant Armor [Mod]: 8 Resistance against explosive attacks. Stagger Resistance. +1 Armor.
- Does the first one specifically grant two extra points to use in defensive battles for that colony? I'm pretty sure that's how one would read it.
- I read that the second one provides a general boost of being able to heal within trenches, but does the unit having it make trenches they happen to be in(made by a Trencher unit) more durable, or does a Trencher unit specifically need the mod to make stronger trenches(and do other units without the mod benefit then), in addition to the Trencher gaining the general healing effect?
- I suppose this fulfills a role as a sort of lower tier version of their Smart Payloads mod, for the purpose of friendly fire, except defensively, and much less expensively. Also, useful against another Dvar, and potentially Vanguard(if their Missiles and Grenades count as Explosives).

Tactical Nuclear Strike [Tactical Op]: Massive Impact in wide area. Every unit in combat has a chance to become blinded.
- Bold emphasis, mine. That's pretty neat, I must say, as an interesting trade off for a high end operation.

Native Displacement Act: A couple of unfortunates are not stading in the way of Dvar Progress. Influence cost to remove NPC armies is lowered.
Revised Safety Regulation: Structures built in sectors costs less energy and production
Fortification Efforts: Extra HP to Militia, Extra Armor for Turrets. Defensive Structures cheaper to make
Cosmite Collection Program: Boost income from Cosmite Nodes
Military Industrial Complex: Rushing Units is 25% Cheaper. Upkeep of Heavy Units is reduced by 50%. (Steamroll the enemy with tanks)
Chrysocracy: Colonists provide +1 prod and +1 engergy if they work in the respective slots. Commander and heroes gain 20% XP
- Useful for a peaceful expansionist early-game, I suppose. Saves risking your units.
- Faster build up is always good, even if it's limited in utility by there still being things to build at any given time. I'm guessing it includes sector specialization production costs, too.
- Easier to build defenses combined with stronger defenses, should make them a tough nut to crack.
- So... easier to produce units with mods, and higher tier armies. Combined with:
- Cheaper rushing, okay, but half upkeep Heavy units, hot DAMN. When combined with the previous one, it's easier to afford expensively modded and higher tier units, too. I realize this is almost certainly a Tier 9 Doctrine, but wow. Then again, Kir'ko have one that makes all of their Light(read: mostly low tier, aside from potentially Light Secret Tech T3 units?) units both have less upkeep and less production cost.
- Useful, very useful, even, although I wonder that it's also Tier 9, since it seems less impactful as the previous Doctrine, at that stage of the game. It seems you listed all six Faction Doctrines(Tech tiers 1/5/9), though, so I guess it is. More experience gain is nice, though, in addition to the economic boost.

So, the Earth Crusher:
- Super durable, at a base of 70 health and 6 Armor.
- 15 damage, is that single target? If so, you said the Bulwark had the most single target DPS(ignoring Unlimited Overwatch)! Sapper ties the Bulwark, too, although I'll let that one pass. ;) If it's are damage, then Bulwark still maintains their supremacy for Dvar, despite being a T2 unit, hah.
- Based on the flavor text, I imagine the Grinder trait is similar to Tree Crusher from AoW3's Juggernaut unit. Being able to make areas into Badlands is extra mean, too.
- Altogether, I can definitely see how the unit is more of a 'Support' T4, but is still able to earn it's position in a party. The Tractor Beam alone is likely great combat utility. I can't recall if it has use restrictions, such as Light units, or non-Stagger-Immune units, off the top of my head, though.

Altogether, I can definitely appreciate how they might feel conceptually familiar to players fond of the Dreadnought class in AoW3, but with a very different execution on the general aesthetic.
More so than the Vanguard, certainly, who appear(to me) to have a slightly more Warlord aesthetic, with definite hints of Dreadnought. All the factions revealed so far have a bit of Warlord to them, though, with the Military half of the Doctrines, it seems. So that's a bit tricky to judge. While I know the Factions don't need to reference AoW3, most of them still do in a core concept method of analysis. Kir'ko are the main outliers in my mind, that lie somewhere between Rogue and Sorcerer, rather than leaning very heavily on Sorcerer, as the Syndicate lean heavily on Rogue(based on what tiny limited bit of information we have on them). Amazons having strong themes similar to Archdruids, seems apparent to me, and I've pegged Assembly as perhaps being Necromancer-like(with Cyborg being akin to the Ghoul/Undead trait).

Wow! Interesting and looks good! Looking forward to next week's stream for more detail :D

And, again, I love the art, very distinctive from race to race. Here, in the image of the customisation options, the image on the top right corner reminds me of the Baron Harkonnen of David Lynch's adaptation of Dune...

Is that Vladimir Harkonnen I see.:)
The same, as cute as ever... xD If he is a Dvar, that would explain why nobody has seen a Dvar's face...

I have had almost no interest in getting this game, and never even read any of the DDs.

But then as I was scrolling through the front page, I saw hyper-capitalist Russian spce dwarves.

I still don’t know if I’ll buy the game, but I do know who I’ll play if I do!

Have you ever seen Dredges race from Guild Wars universe?

"Sundew Valley".. I wonder if it was renamed by Dvar at some point, maybe to something what rhymes with Dvar, like, I don't know, Stardew Valley. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Last edited: