• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I was actually very happy about the pre-order and I also wanted to secure the bonus. unfortunately I found that I cannot buy Age of Wonders 4 for my Xbox One X. There is only one version for the current consoles. . Is there a possibility that there will be a version for older models? I was really looking forward to the console version. I own the predecessors all for the PC. but that's not the same as on a big screen and in an armchair. please make this possible
From the FAQ:
What platforms will Age of Wonders 4 be on?
PC, Xbox Series X|S, PS5
Can I get the sign-up bonus/gift on other platforms?
Unfortunately, due to the technical features of different platforms, the sign-up bonus is only available on Steam. The item itself will be available for purchase in other stores after the release. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
I am sorry I don’t have better news for you. I haven’t seen anyone address your specific question yet.

I love Age of Wonders 1 and 2 they were great games but Age of Wonders 3 was a horrible game, i hope Age of Wonders 4 doesn't follow the same line as Age of Wonders 3.
This is a perfect example of different folks having different thoughts... AoW3 is probably the game I've played the most... and I'm closer to 50 than not... so that's a lot of games. Easily my favorite game of all time.

• 5Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
I love Age of Wonders 1 and 2 they were great games but Age of Wonders 3 was a horrible game, i hope Age of Wonders 4 doesn't follow the same line as Age of Wonders 3.
I can understand that. But in the end every new AoW was like a new relationship for me. I missed many things I loved about the earlier game and loved as many about the new one. I think AoW 4 will be good.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I dunno.
These preorder bonuses feel monumentally low effort to me.
This is the same problem I had with Planetfall, too.

I can guarantee that I'd never use the premade hero.
The cosmetics also don't look all that worth it.

Don't get me wrong. I love cosmetics, as a concept, but... Neither of these 'exclusives' appeal all that much to me.
So, what reason do I have to preorder instead of finding some other game to amuse myself with for a few extra months before the inevitable sale that would at least save me a few dollars.

I want to support the devs.
I have no intention of supporting publishers.

I dunno.
Maybe add a cosmetics exclusive per the expansion as the incentive, instead of just these two.
Do something that does not feel like an afterthought? A tedious chore?
Anything.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Quick question for the devs.
I want to pre-order but currently do not know which system I will be playing on (getting a new playstation around Xmas)
Will the pre-order bonus be available later as a part of the platinum edition or some other bundle plz ?
Thanks. Just worried about having to buy the game twice if I preorder now.

Last edited:
This is a perfect example of different folks having different thoughts... AoW3 is probably the game I've played the most... and I'm closer to 50 than not... so that's a lot of games. Easily my favorite game of all time.
Same here and I have played computer games since 1983, so I surpassed 50 in number and age quite some time ;) AoW3 is a juwel of game development and most I have seen from AoW4 so far looks promising too. :)

• 2Like
Reactions:
Rose-tinted glasses are dangerous. I tried AoW3 again two days ago:

Map: Large
Difficulty: King
Gameplay: Empire
Race/Dreadnought: Frostling Dreadnought
Mods: Yes (additional Garrison mechanic and more)
Mode: Simultaneous

How did it go after being accustomed to playing Planetfall? Horribly. I maxed out the defense capabilities of my Throne City and ventured out to hunt marauders in my domain but forgetting to leave a single unit in my city to activate all additional garrison units while on defense (Mods). What happened? A bunch of Lost Souls swooped in from outside my view to conquer the city without a fight AND to use ALL the defending units unlocked via city buildings in the next turn when I tried to get the city back. Insult to injury AoW3 only provided the player with a single Auto Save file and thus my game was ruined. At least in Planetfall a conquering army can´t use the garrison of said city until it had absorbed that city into it´s empire.

While the game wouldn´t be ruined without the defending unit mods the city would have been taken nonetheless without a fight. It´s good that the old garrison mechanic has been removed from the game during Planetfall and exchanged with something less punishing and annoying. Looking forward to AoW4!

Reactions:
Rose-tinted glasses are dangerous. I tried AoW3 again two days ago:

Map: Large
Difficulty: King
Gameplay: Empire
Race/Dreadnought: Frostling Dreadnought
Mods: Yes (additional Garrison mechanic and more)
Mode: Simultaneous

How did it go after being accustomed to playing Planetfall? Horribly. I maxed out the defense capabilities of my Throne City and ventured out to hunt marauders in my domain but forgetting to leave a single unit in my city to activate all additional garrison units while on defense (Mods). What happened? A bunch of Lost Souls swooped in from outside my view to conquer the city without a fight AND to use ALL the defending units unlocked via city buildings in the next turn when I tried to get the city back. Insult to injury AoW3 only provided the player with a single Auto Save file and thus my game was ruined. At least in Planetfall a conquering army can´t use the garrison of said city until it had absorbed that city into it´s empire.

While the game wouldn´t be ruined without the defending unit mods the city would have been taken nonetheless without a fight. It´s good that the old garrison mechanic has been removed from the game during Planetfall and exchanged with something less punishing and annoying. Looking forward to AoW4!
That is a mechanic everyone had to learn the hard way. You fail, you get experience, you improve. I understand this may cause different players to get different reactions yet there are ways to avoid it in the first place. And I am not even talking about "placing a couple low tier units in the garrison" I refer to going to the map settings and deactivating/lowering Roaming Unit Spawns.
The good thing of AoW games, and it seems AoW4 will be no exception, is that you can tailor your game experience however you wish to do so.

• 2Like
Reactions:
That is a mechanic everyone had to learn the hard way. You fail, you get experience, you improve. I understand this may cause different players to get different reactions yet there are ways to avoid it in the first place. And I am not even talking about "placing a couple low tier units in the garrison" I refer to going to the map settings and deactivating/lowering Roaming Unit Spawns.
The good thing of AoW games, and it seems AoW4 will be no exception, is that you can tailor your game experience however you wish to do so.
I have all three AoW Fantasy games still in my drawer and have fond memories spending time in these pixel worlds. However I also acknowledge the devs when they improve mechanics and the garrison has been changed for the better in Planetfall. The player only needs to build two structures in the city to fend of early game marauders:

- Tier 1 Garrison Units
- Automated Guard Tower Batteries.

The same will be true for AoW4. Build initial defenses and then continue on exploring the wilderness without having to worry overly about the safety of your city.

Just watching the "Happy Elves" gameplay. A question:

At 21 min. the dev says, if the Elemental kills a bunch of stuff he will keep evolving. Does this imply that XP is no longer shared with the entire stack like in Planetfall?

Just watching the "Happy Elves" gameplay. A question:

At 21 min. the dev says, if the Elemental kills a bunch of stuff he will keep evolving. Does this imply that XP is no longer shared with the entire stack like in Planetfall?
No, XP is still distributed amongst all participants at the end of the combat. This is more about the general notation that certain Units that earn a lot of XP can reach Rank 4 and evolve.

Reactions: