• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

ConjurerDragon

Generalissimus
79 Badges
Apr 19, 2005
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • The Kings Crusade
  • Magicka
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Impire
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • War of the Roses
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Pride of Nations
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • East India Company Collection
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
Just as with cores and other parts of the game there is a great range of what those game features actually are supposed to be.

"Known provinces"
That reaches from the very generous thinking that a country should know everyrhing any of his people has ever heard rumours of (e.g. from "there be dragons" to the famous country in Africa that was run by Prester John that even today historians have a hard time to nail down and some guess it was actually the Il-Khanate - and just made up propaganda to give the christians at the time a hope to reconquer the Holy Land with an ally on the other side of the seemingly too numerous muslim invaders who recently took Jerusalem),

has ever - even 1000 years ago - had a merchant travel there (e.g. Venice should know China because Marco Polo went there, the Pope should too, because he sent some monks there),

has some private fisherman travel to the coasts of another continent for the fishing grounds (e.g. portuguese fishers without the fisherman realizing that the islands beyond their fishing ground would become America" and who were there, just as Leif Erikson, long before Columbus.

I tend to the other side and see known provinces very conservative. The world and most countries need more not known provinces in my opinion.
First of all because, starting in the early 15th century in the Grand Campaign we are at the end of the High or Late Middle Ages where most people didn´t know anything about anything and most peasants as the most numerous group of people hardly ever left their home village in their lifetime.

A province known means that a country is able to send armies there, if a capital to declare war or raise relations to perhaps exchange map knowledge, if a Center of Trade to send merchants there instead of slowly discovering the unknown (and I mean SLOWLY as it should be to get a feeling of former times) with the elements available ingame:
- with sufficient naval and land tech armies and navies can explore in the late game without the need of a Conquistador or Explorer,
- armies lead by a Conquistador and navies lead by an explorer an uncover the temporary terra incognita,
- by random event. Random events fire once per year and one of them gifts you knowledge of an unknown land or seazone,
- by stealing rutters in naval battles or looting the cartographers when plundering an enemies capital,
- by diplomacy first raising the relations and then exchanging map knowledge,
- even accidentally (e.g. Denmark is in an alliance with Sweden. SWE declares war on Novgorod that is (in my game) unknown to DEN. SWE asks DEN to join the war as ally, DEN agrees - and receives knowledge of NOV´s capital as the enemy.
- competing for a place with a merchant in a CoT and discovering the capital of a country you kicked out...

Currently known provinces are so extensive that Spain, instead of taking decades and making heavy use of Explorers, can use diplomacy to raise relations with a country on the far side of their known map, exchange map knowlege, does that 3 or 4 times and knows the way to the chinese Centers of Trade before the first portuguese Caravel has rounded the Cape Verde...

In my opinion we miss out if that is so easily possible. The world back then was slow and the discoveries too.

An additional - to me wanted effect - to lowering map knowledge is the return of the isolation penalty.
If a country knows less than 20 capitals then it gets a relative penalty to it´s technology cost - the less capitals, the higher the penalty.

Currently no european country suffers that penalty as everyone knows most of Europe, so definitely more than 20 capitals.

Ironically a lot of people complain that in the endgame, some of the better players even in the middle game, have maxed out all their tech research and are punished by only having minting left that raises inflation. Some have even suggested earlier start or later enddates - where players have even more time to max out technology and it would have been fully researched for even more time.

Starting with less known capitals slows down tech research and makes the discovery of capitals by event a far more valuable as suddenly techcosts are lowered and lowered with each capital discovered until you know 20.

So I would like to cut down knowledge of known provinces for most countries in the 1419 starting scenario over time, which raises the quesion - if they should know less, then what should they know, what are "known provinces" to a country.

My - conservative - take on that is:

A country knows all his national and claimcore provinces,

all provinces that border those provinces (usually that means the border provinces of other countries, but for some countries that only have a handful of cores we would need to change their cores - e.g. Golden Horde and Timurids start with very few cores. Reason was that in EU2 there existed only the full core that is in Ftg the national core and both countries are supposed to have unrest in most of their lands - which means that they could not get national cores. They could e.g. get claimcores or Casusbellicores on the rest of their provinces),

if a country has a port it knows the seazone bordering it´s shore,

all capitals of nations that the country historically since the inthronisation of the starting ruler had an alliance, royal marriage or war with.

Edit: Beginning in FtG 1.3 MichaelM made it possible to use the area/region/continent names in the "known provinces" list of a country. So it becomes a bit easier as not every single province ID has to be listed, but e.g.

old

knownprovinces = { 291 292 293 288 298 299 300 303

gives exactly the same known provines as

new

knownprovinces = { Poland #"Poland" is a geographical area

Last edited:
Reactions:
I like this idea quite a bit. I might add that all Catholics should know where Rome is, and probably most or all Muslims should know where Mecca is.

How do you intend to perform the modification? Seems like it could be quite tedious without good tools. (Hmm... I could actually do something about that, but making a one-off tool just for discovery editing might be overkill.)

I like this idea quite a bit. I might add that all Catholics should know where Rome is, and probably most or all Muslims should know where Mecca is.

How do you intend to perform the modification? Seems like it could be quite tedious without good tools. (Hmm... I could actually do something about that, but making a one-off tool just for discovery editing might be overkill.)
Is knwing Rome necessary?
I would have thought the other way around - the Vatican had the first "diplomatic corps" and becaus of that his diplomats even nowadays enjoy seniority compared to the ambassadors of most countries.
And when Romes knows you it can interact with you.

So is there a need for anyone beyond Romes neighbours and starting allies to actually know the province of Rome?

In the AGCEEP 1.59 beta 5
I have started to cut down the known provinces of countries according to the guideline I proposed above.
In turn I have added some discover commands to already existing everts, where I seemed to make sense so some provinces previiously known from the start will be discovered by event.

Every province that they did know before is just marked out with # so can easily be enabled again by anone for their game.

Cut down are:
Aden
Agoche
Ak Koyunlu
Albania
Burgundy
China
Dauphine
Denmark
England
Lan Xang
Muscovy
Papal States
Poland
Scotland
Switzerland

Last edited:
Editing the known provinces of Aden
using the area
Aden
works fine.
However I tried to add knowlegde of the Red Sea in name instead of province ID´s, too and have had errors using

Red Sea
Red_Sea
RedSea
REG_RedSeaSea (from geography.txt)

All cause an error starting the mod.
So - does using names instead of province ID´s only work with areas but not regions? Or only land but not sea regions? Or is the Red Sea region named in a way even more elaborate than what I tried?

Edit: After trial and error - the name that works is
RedSeaSea

Last edited:
You already figured it out, but just confirming that only the tag works in a province list, not the region name or localized name.

Reactions:
Today I meddled with the known provinces of China and as a first step disabled them all and gave them only knowledge of areas
Peking and Shanghai
However instead of knowing only those provinces China immediately knew all of the provinces it owned, including those in other areas.

So - if the scenario files contain the info which provinces are owned by a country and those are automatically "known", is there any need to define any of the owned provinces as "known provinces" additionally? Because that is currently the situation.

Has that been different before so that it made sense before?

Area names, the 2nd

The Red Sea was solved by finding that it is named RedSeaSea which is the tag that MichaelM confirmed is the only name that works when used as an area in "known provinces"

region = { tag = "RedSeaSea" name = "REG_RedSeaSea" }

Now I have a similar problem with the area of Shanxi. Or Sha Anxi. Or Sha_Anxi...

area = { id = 178 tag = "Sha Anxi" name = "AREA_Sha_Anxi" type = land }

According to @MichaelM the tag should work - but when I put Sha Anxi in Chinas 1419 scenario file then it complains not to know what Sha is.

Sha Anxi
Sha_Anxi does not work either; nor does
Shaanxi or
Shanxi

Area names, the 2nd

The Red Sea was solved by finding that it is named RedSeaSea which is the tag that MichaelM confirmed is the only name that works when used as an area in "known provinces"

region = { tag = "RedSeaSea" name = "REG_RedSeaSea" }

Now I have a similar problem with the area of Shanxi. Or Sha Anxi. Or Sha_Anxi...

area = { id = 178 tag = "Sha Anxi" name = "AREA_Sha_Anxi" type = land }

According to @MichaelM the tag should work - but when I put Sha Anxi in Chinas 1419 scenario file then it complains not to know what Sha is.

Sha Anxi
Sha_Anxi does not work either; nor does
Shaanxi or
Shanxi
Did you put it in quotes like "Sha Anxi"? Otherwise the game will think that Sha and Anxi are two different things.

Did you put it in quotes like "Sha Anxi"? Otherwise the game will think that Sha and Anxi are two different things.
No. As any other area worked without " " it never occured to me.
Any yes, that way it works :)

So every tag with a space in it needs " " to be recognized?

No. As any other area worked without " " it never occured to me.
Any yes, that way it works :)

So every tag with a space in it needs " " to be recognized?
Yes, you'll see a similar pattern in e.g. AI files with their region and area targets. The game is pretty good at reading text files, but not as good as a human.

Is the amount of map knowledge a country receives modable?
e.g. a won fight at sea gives a chance of receiving knowlege of 1 random province you do not know that is adjacent to your known provinces
but occupying the capital grants you the entire map of your enemy

I find it hard to believe that in a looted, burning province that has just been militarily occupied one finds such knowledge.
Sure, perhaps Louis XIV or some other rich ruler had a huge map of all of France on the wall of his castle or an expensive globe of the world - but would that include all the colonial possesions? Or would it contain the detailed information that make up "knowing" a province as compared to just general knowledge? One would not be able to find a road connection within a county on a globe usually...

In other words would it be possible to limit the map knowledge received by occuyping a capital to a fraction of whe whole known map of the opponent? e.g. 1/3rd of the whole map but only those provinces adjacent to your own knowledge? In a world where rivalries went on for hundreds of years it seems a bit frontloaded if the first war where I occupy Paris or Madrid I get the whole map completely without fail.

Example of known provinces for Burgundy. Two years in the game. Knowledge of southern France from occuyping Bourghes (capital of Dauphine). Everything disconnected were either the yearly random event or the random chance from competing merchants in the Centers of Trade.

1643564225606.png

Yes, I have read all those one-village-life theories of Jacques Le Goff about the medieval world, but everything here looks like a reduction to the absurdity of an originally good idea. Le Goff in his case wrote about Early and classical Middle Ages.
I have tried in your version only Denmark and want to say that I see totally no reason for Denmark not to know, for example, Novgorod in 1419, when all the Baltic region was extensively connected by the Hanseatic trade, there was even a separate German quarter in medieval Novgorod.
How could the Danish ruling classes not know where Rome is? All western Europe was bound by Christian "ties", archbishops were appointed by the Pope.
I agree with MichaelM that every Christian nation should know Rome. And I shall add that all countries of Eastern Christianity should know Constantinopolis.
What about royal marriages?
How could the Danish ruling classes have no information on the British coast after so many huge military and colonisation expeditions, initiated not only by the feudal lords but also by the Danish kings themselves?
And so on.
My opinion is that a world with such weird changes should be a separate mod, not a new version of the AGCEEP. Separate mod aimed at slow development, which is not based on the common logic.
An interesting start, but overdone.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yes, I have read all those one-village-life theories of Jacques Le Goff about the medieval world, but everything here looks like a reduction to the absurdity of an originally good idea. Le Goff in his case wrote about Early and classical Middle Ages.
I have tried in your version only Denmark and want to say that I see totally no reason for Denmark not to know, for example, Novgorod in 1419, when all the Baltic region was extensively connected by the Hanseatic trade, there was even a separate German quarter in medieval Novgorod.
Denmark was not part of the Hanseatic League but a major opponent of them, to the point that Denmark even lost a war to them.
And Denmark is not german and has nothing to do with the german quarter of the Hanse in Novgorod.
The same Hanse that put pressure on Novgord to stop trading with their own ships over the baltic and instead leave that to the Hanse.

How could the Danish ruling classes not know where Rome is?
Well, they did not know where it is. No satellites, no GPS, no navigation system, not even detailed maps one could actually use to travel.
When a noble wanted to make a pilgrimage to Rome then he usually either went by boat, following the coast or followed pilgrimage ways that were somewhat laid out to find your way from day to day towards the right direction, often redirected when a river flooded a way.
However that does not mean that the country had the means to send an army there which ingame knowledge allows.

All western Europe was bound by Christian "ties", archbishops were appointed by the Pope.
Yes. Ingame however there is no appointing of bishops at all and no connection between the pope and the archbishoprics of Germany. Even the Emperor of the HRE has more ingame relations (manpower, gold bonus from friendly princes and right of way in case of war) to the princes of the HRE (which is why I have left knowledge of Buda for the german princes). I agree however that the Archbishoprics (Cologne, Mainz) and other countries ruled by a Bishop (Bremen) should know Rome.

I agree with MichaelM that every Christian nation should know Rome. And I shall add that all countries of Eastern Christianity should know Constantinopolis.
What about royal marriages?
When a country starts with a royal marriage then, as I described in the first post, have left the knowledge of the capital of the other part to that country untouched.

How could the Danish ruling classes have no information on the British coast after so many huge military and colonisation expeditions, initiated not only by the feudal lords but also by the Danish kings themselves?
Because the danish kings like Knut/Canute and anyone involved are long dead who ruled the Danelaw, the Kingdom of Jorvik/York or were briefly ruling a North Sea Empire including England and the last attempts to reunite it were in the 11th century.
The early danish kings from 1419, e.g. Waldemar Atterdag historically were occupied with the Hanse, the Sound Due and the Kalmar Union. Invading England was not feasible or even considered. Sure, they might have known that England exists - but not the detailed knowledge to send a fleet to unload an invading force there (=no knowledge).

And so on.
My opinion is that a world with such weird changes should be a separate mod, not a new version of the AGCEEP. Separate mod aimed at slow development, which is not based on the common logic.
An interesting start, but overdone.
"Knowing" something does not equal knowledge ingame.
What any individual noble or group of nobles or merchant knows, is not automatically the knowledge of the entire kingdom/state one rules in the game. I tried to explain that with the "Marco Polo"-case: Venice and Genoa (his home and where he was hold captive) should not know about China after he came back from China. Why? Because then they could ingame send traders to chinese centers of trade when historically that was impossible. The arabian and later islamic conquests meant that the Mamelucks who controlled the western end of the existing trade routes could extort tribute and concessions from anyone wanting to trade with chinese goods in the Levant and Egypt.
The whole ideas of Portugal to go around Africa to the spice islands and China and of Spain to go west around the globe to India and China would be completely useless then. Why explore a way to India and China if Europeans already know the Centers of Trade and can send merchants there?

Sadly FtG allows no way for trade to be blocked by hostile states in between (e.g. Mamlucks hostile to Portugal meaning that Portugal could KNOW Kanton but be unable to send merchants there. The game does not trace an unbroken line of provinces between Portugal and the Center of Trade in Kanton and breaks off trade if the provinces in between are ruled by enemies of Portugal, which would be similar to the rudimentary simulation of trade in the TOTAL WAR game series.
Even the Mamlucks using the ingame option to EMBARGO Portugal would only bar Portugal from trading in Alexandria (the MAM CoT) but not from trading in Kanton.

So the only practical solution is that no european at the start in 1419 may know the indian and chinese centers of trade so that they need to explore as they historically did (or use other ingame means to get there).

However: There are many ways ingame to get knowledge of unknown provinces. Every country has the chance to get a random event unveiling an unknown province adjacent to the known area each year. Every country can diplomatically enhance relations to the point that a friendly state would exchange knowledge, every country has the chance to capture a map in a ship battle or to gain the entire knowledge of another state by occupying that states capital and whenever competing in trade or waging war there are provinces revealed (e.g. if Denmark joins Sweden in a war against Novgorod then the capital of NOV as the enemy is revealed to DAN).

In addition I have added a handful of exploration commands (which reveal knowledge of a certain province) to most countries where I limited the starting knowledge to events that I found approbiate. Denmark for example gains knowledge of two provinces, including the capital of Scotland, when a certain royal marriage occurs.

Edit: And, not to forget - if you want to make my changes in map knowledge undone, simply open the country file in the 1419 scenario and remove the # in front of the province ID´s in the list of known provinces to enable them to your own game. In my own games I often diverge from normal AGCEEP quite a way as one´s personal fun has nothing to do with the mod in general.

Last edited:
Denmark was not part of the Hanseatic League but a major opponent of them, to the point that Denmark even lost a war to them.
And Denmark is not german and has nothing to do with the german quarter of the Hanse in Novgorod.
The same Hanse that put pressure on Novgord to stop trading with their own ships over the baltic and instead leave that to the Hanse.

Well, they did not know where it is. No satellites, no GPS, no navigation system, not even detailed maps one could actually use to travel.
When a noble wanted to make a pilgrimage to Rome then he usually either went by boat, following the coast or followed pilgrimage ways that were somewhat laid out to find your way from day to day towards the right direction, often redirected when a river flooded a way.
However that does not mean that the country had the means to send an army there which ingame knowledge allows.

Yes. Ingame however there is no appointing of bishops at all and no connection between the pope and the archbishoprics of Germany. Even the Emperor of the HRE has more ingame relations (manpower, gold bonus from friendly princes and right of way in case of war) to the princes of the HRE (which is why I have left knowledge of Buda for the german princes). I agree however that the Archbishoprics (Cologne, Mainz) and other countries ruled by a Bishop (Bremen) should know Rome.

When a country starts with a royal marriage then, as I described in the first post, have left the knowledge of the capital of the other part to that country untouched.

Because the danish kings like Knut/Canute and anyone involved are long dead who ruled the Danelaw, the Kingdom of Jorvik/York or were briefly ruling a North Sea Empire including England and the last attempts to reunite it were in the 11th century.
The early danish kings from 1419, e.g. Waldemar Atterdag historically were occupied with the Hanse, the Sound Due and the Kalmar Union. Invading England was not feasible or even considered. Sure, they might have known that England exists - but not the detailed knowledge to send a fleet to unload an invading force there (=no knowledge).

"Knowing" something does not equal knowledge ingame.
What any individual noble or group of nobles or merchant knows, is not automatically the knowledge of the entire kingdom/state one rules in the game. I tried to explain that with the "Marco Polo"-case: Venice and Genoa (his home and where he was hold captive) should not know about China after he came back from China. Why? Because then they could ingame send traders to chinese centers of trade when historically that was impossible. The arabian and later islamic conquests meant that the Mamelucks who controlled the western end of the existing trade routes could extort tribute and concessions from anyone wanting to trade with chinese goods in the Levant and Egypt.
The whole ideas of Portugal to go around Africa to the spice islands and China and of Spain to go west around the globe to India and China would be completely useless then. Why explore a way to India and China if Europeans already know the Centers of Trade and can send merchants there?

Sadly FtG allows no way for trade to be blocked by hostile states in between (e.g. Mamlucks hostile to Portugal meaning that Portugal could KNOW Kanton but be unable to send merchants there. The game does not trace an unbroken line of provinces between Portugal and the Center of Trade in Kanton and breaks off trade if the provinces in between are ruled by enemies of Portugal, which would be similar to the rudimentary simulation of trade in the TOTAL WAR game series.
Even the Mamlucks using the ingame option to EMBARGO Portugal would only bar Portugal from trading in Alexandria (the MAM CoT) but not from trading in Kanton.

So the only practical solution is that no european at the start in 1419 may know the indian and chinese centers of trade so that they need to explore as they historically did (or use other ingame means to get there).

However: There are many ways ingame to get knowledge of unknown provinces. Every country has the chance to get a random event unveiling an unknown province adjacent to the known area each year. Every country can diplomatically enhance relations to the point that a friendly state would exchange knowledge, every country has the chance to capture a map in a ship battle or to gain the entire knowledge of another state by occupying that states capital and whenever competing in trade or waging war there are provinces revealed (e.g. if Denmark joins Sweden in a war against Novgorod then the capital of NOV as the enemy is revealed to DAN).

In addition I have added a handful of exploration commands (which reveal knowledge of a certain province) to most countries where I limited the starting knowledge to events that I found approbiate. Denmark for example gains knowledge of two provinces, including the capital of Scotland, when a certain royal marriage occurs.

Edit: And, not to forget - if you want to make my changes in map knowledge undone, simply open the country file in the 1419 scenario and remove the # in front of the province ID´s in the list of known provinces to enable them to your own game. In my own games I often diverge from normal AGCEEP quite a way as one´s personal fun has nothing to do with the mod in general.
AI with AI do not go for map exchange (am I wrong?). So, if a human player just willingly does not go for it, then there will be a drastically reduced threat of the Spain-in-the-Philippines-long-before-Portugal-even-drinks-its-port-wine situation.

If you have a problem with too fast techs, there is an option just to increase slightly the tech costs.

We can write events for Far Eastern countries to embargo European countries if there are problems with the Ottomans and the Mamluks. A lot of events, but I see it real. However, I do not know how long China will keep such artificial embargo.

Maybe just create an alternative 1419 scenario for the AGCEEP and keep the old one conservatively intact? I mean all that village-world things and new exploration strings in the events.

You have interesting thoughts and thoughts that are right in their basis (problem with the trade system). I shall give a try to such alternative scenario, but I also want good old 1419 in AGCEEP. Too revolutionary and controversial changes. I am not sure that all that will give the result you want. Much work and tests are needed.

P. S. Yes. I messed up in a hurry the canceltrade script and embargoing.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
AI with AI do not go for map exchange (am I wrong?). So, if a human player just willingly does not go for it, then there will be a drastically reduced threat of the Spain-in-the-Philippines-long-before-Portugal-even-drinks-its-port-wine situation.
Spain and Portugal and all the other historical major colonizers gain sufficient numbers of explorers and conquistadors that enable them to use fleets and armies with them, to explore seaways and by passing coastal provinces on their way or by marching through unknown provinces. That is unchanged from the last version of AGCEEP.

Despite ingame existing and even possible between long-distance countries of different religion, "Map exchange" beyond friendly neighbours was historically practically not existing.

If you have a problem with too fast techs, there is an option just to increase slightly the tech costs.

We can write events for Far Eastern countries to embargo European countries if there are problems with the Ottomans and the Mamluks. A lot of events, but I see it real. However, I do not know how long China will keep such artificial embargo.
No. I already asked MichaelM and there is no command to embargo someone by event. That can only be done ingame (once a country has researched how to Embargo) or from the start in the scenario settings. However noone would want to embargo dozens of states - every embargo lowers trade efficiency.
It is much easier and works fine to have europeans generally have no knowledge of China/India at the start of the game.

Maybe just create an alternative 1419 scenario for the AGCEEP and keep the old one conservatively intact? I mean all that village-world things and new exploration strings in the events.
While I mentioned that the majority of the population was peasants and most peasants hardly left their village in their lifetime, even the knowledge of 1 province is far beyond knowing "your village". Please read my first post in this thread where I outlined my rules of thumb which provinces a country should know at the start with in 1419.

You have interesting thoughts and thoughts that are right in their basis (problem with the trade system). I shall give a try to such alternative scenario, but I also want good old 1419 in AGCEEP. Too revolutionary and controversial changes. I am not sure that all that will give the result you want. Much work and tests are needed.
It gives exactly the results that I want:
- less known world for everyone at the start in 1419,
- due to isolation penalty higher tech cost for most countries to prevent that countries run out of things to research before the end of the game which is would be even more important in scenarios with earlier start or later end dates,
- less interaction between far distant nations at the start of the game,
- european nations not all knowing all of Europe but most having different regional knowledge.

As I already wrote, there are a lot of options how to gain knowledge of provinces ingame.
And if that is too slow for someone, then it is quite easy to delete the # in front of the lines of known provinces in the countries file in the 1419 scenario.
For example Denmark that you mentioned in another post.
It´s file is in
\For the Glory\Mods\AGCEEP\Scenarios\1419
named 1419_DAN_Denmark.inc and can be opened e.g. with Notepad or the basic editor for simple text

Under "knownprovinces" simply remove the # in front of a line to enable knowledge of that line of province ID´s again in 1419.
Be aware that 1614 is not the province of Rome but the "I have lost all provinces on the map but still need to exist for events"-Pope.

#Denmark

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

country = {
tag = DAN
ai = "DAN_1419_Early.ai"
colonialattempts = 0
colonialnation = no
major = no
colonists = 0
cancelledloans = 0
extendedloans = 0
treasury = 800
inflation = 0
merchants = 2.0
religion = { type = catholic }
culture = { type = scandinavian }
diplomacy = {
relation = { tag = SWE value = 170 }
relation = { tag = NOR value = 190 }
relation = { tag = SHL value = 150 access = yes }
}
knownprovinces = {
Denmark
#1614 #Pope
#231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246
#248 249 250
251 252 253 254 255 256
#259 260 261 262 263 264
#266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275
#277 278 279 280 281
282 283
#284 285 286 287 288
289 290
#291 292 293 294 295 296
#297 298 299 300
301 302
304 305
306 308
#310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318
#319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334
335 336 337
#340 341
#343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 360 361 362
#363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384
#385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 406
#407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 415 416 417 418 419 420 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428
#429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450
#451 452 453 454 455 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 474 475 476 477
#478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 490 491 492 493 494 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739
#740 741 742 744 745 746 806 819 820 821 836 837 838 839
#841 868 869 870 871 872
873 874 875 876 877 878
879 880
#881 882 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931
#932 933 934
#936 937
938 939
#979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992
#993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011
#1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1057 1058 1331 1361
#1470 1609 1610 1611 1612 1613
}
ownedprovinces = {
251 307 308 309
}
controlledprovinces = {
251 307 308 309
}
nationalprovinces = {
251 307
}
claimedprovinces = {
}
casusbelliprovinces = {
}
city = {
fortress = { level = 1 }
population = 12000
location = 307
capital = yes
bailiff = yes
}
city = {
fortress = { level = 1 }
population = 5000
location = 308
}
city = {
fortress = { level = 1 }
population = 10000
location = 309
}
city = {
fortress = { level = 1 }
population = 8000
location = 251
}
landunit = {
id = { type = 9423 id = 762 }
name = "Danish Army"
location = 309
infantry = 0
cavalry = 6000
artillery = 0
}
landunit = {
id = { type = 9423 id = 768 }
name = "Copenhagen Defenders"
location = 307
infantry = 9000
cavalry = 1000
artillery = 0
}
navalunit = {
id = { type = 9423 id = 770 }
name = "Baltic Fleet"
location = 307
warships = 20
galleys = 0
transports = 9
}
technology = {
stability = { level = 3 value = 0 }
infra = { level = 1 value = 50 }
trade = { level = 1 value = 0 }
land = { level = 1 value = 0 }
naval = { level = 1 value = 0 }
}
}

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------