• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
And I have to do that for every event? really now hasn't anyone done it before? so he can post the new EUE

look at post 391

use the discuss link.....to discuss fantasy BYZ which is not supported by AGCEEP HC team

BYZ is run by a father and son IIRC team

Hey y'all.

After playing another campaign, i have some comments:

1. The event "A Lion In Winter" doesn't work. The Emperor is not replaced even if you pick that option.

2. The final goal of the restoration should be changed, I think.

Justinian's conquest of Italy was hugely expensive and draining and didn't last long at all. I don't think it should be a separate part of the event sequence any more than a reconquest of France.

The events regarding Venice are fine, as BYZ has a legit reason to go after the republic (likewise, the Italians uniting against a Byzantium that has sacked Venice is good too) and the Papal events are good, but northern Italy has nothing to do with Byzantium (and I really doubt the French and Austrians would just sit by and let the heretic Greeks take the center of their faith, then put up to their borders on the Alps).

I propose a slightly different end to the chain, where the Italian and North African campaigns are combined into one Western Mediterranean campaign, to be triggered after the "Eastern Roman Empire" event. Only South Italy (Sicily, Malta, and Naples) is included.

If the player wants to go after North Italy, fine. Keep the Papal States events, as that's momentous enough to need them, but don't give free CBs on the Italian minors and include events for the HRE and/or France to fight back.

3. Catholic Byzantium gets nothing currently. I'm scripting some events to remedy this, but if there's not any interest for Catholic BYZ, then I suggest we remove the Union from the Fantasy Scenario.

Nobody plays "Byzantium Triumphant" as another country, and nobody who plays BYZ in BT is going to go Catholic because then they lose all the special events.

The events regarding Venice are fine, as BYZ has a legit reason to go after the republic (likewise, the Italians uniting against a Byzantium that has sacked Venice is good too) and the Papal events are good, but northern Italy has nothing to do with Byzantium (and I really doubt the French and Austrians would just sit by and let the heretic Greeks take the center of their faith, then put up to their borders on the Alps).

Not having to do anything with northern Italy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Justinien_527-565.svg
The Byzantine Empire at it´s largest expansion did include the whole of Italy.

...If the player wants to go after North Italy, fine. Keep the Papal States events, as that's momentous enough to need them, but don't give free CBs on the Italian minors and include events for the HRE and/or France to fight back.

Isn´t that covered with anyone gaining a casus belli on the owner of Rome when it´s not owned by the Pope?

3. Catholic Byzantium gets nothing currently. I'm scripting some events to remedy this, but if there's not any interest for Catholic BYZ, then I suggest we remove the Union from the Fantasy Scenario.

Nobody plays "Byzantium Triumphant" as another country, and nobody who plays BYZ in BT is going to go Catholic because then they lose all the special events.

There are a lot of masochistic/enthusiastic players around who try worldconquests with pagan african minors. I would bet that someone out there plays that scenario in that way as well ;)

Not having to do anything with northern Italy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Justinien_527-565.svg
The Byzantine Empire at it´s largest expansion did include the whole of Italy.

And under Constantine I, Julian and Theodosius I, it included all of Spain, France and England.

Isn´t that covered with anyone gaining a casus belli on the owner of Rome when it´s not owned by the Pope?

Possibly, but I haven't seen the Catholics attempt it. It also just seems odd when the German Emperor doesn't care that the Byzantine Emperor has conquered the southern part of his domain.

There are a lot of masochistic/enthusiastic players around who try worldconquests with pagan african minors. I would bet that someone out there plays that scenario in that way as well ;)

I would say they're crazy, but I play Byzantium. :D

just want to say thanks to the people who made this, really enjoyed my Byz game (after ironing out a few kinks with the countries file). I only have one little problem with it and i suppose its just down to taste but im at 1790 odd now and ive spent the last 10 years chasing rebels around the map because Revolt risk in some provinces is up at 35-40%!

just want to say thanks to the people who made this, really enjoyed my Byz game (after ironing out a few kinks with the countries file). I only have one little problem with it and i suppose its just down to taste but im at 1790 odd now and ive spent the last 10 years chasing rebels around the map because Revolt risk in some provinces is up at 35-40%!

people want peace, stop being a warmonger :cool:

I'm still getting an error, something about 'global data'.

Edit: I managed to get around that, but now it's saying something about not being able to identify the CoTs.

Last edited:

Well I for one have interest in Catholic Byzantium. This hasn't been much explored, but Thomas Palaiologos had reasonably good connections with the Pope and with Genoa, so something at least ought to come of that in a fantasy scenario. Interesting story arcs could be developed with a resurgent Byzantium getting enmeshed in the politics of Italy alongside France and Austria, for example.

In addition, a Catholic resurgent Byzantium might, once they had shown themselves as winners, be able to get at least some meaningful support from the Pope, the Italian naval powers, and the Spanish in campaigns against the Turks.

I'm (sort of) back... and have updated the mod. I'm currently running it with the AGCEEP 1.58 beta 12. I'll be monitoring the thread for problem reports.

As to new events, if you have Catholic Byzantium events to propose, I'll certainly add them. But I'll confess to not seeing the point, since that Luther fellow will bring the west to its knees in a few years anyway.

:rofl:

Well I for one have interest in Catholic Byzantium. This hasn't been much explored, but Thomas Palaiologos had reasonably good connections with the Pope and with Genoa, so something at least ought to come of that in a fantasy scenario. Interesting story arcs could be developed with a resurgent Byzantium getting enmeshed in the politics of Italy alongside France and Austria, for example.

In addition, a Catholic resurgent Byzantium might, once they had shown themselves as winners, be able to get at least some meaningful support from the Pope, the Italian naval powers, and the Spanish in campaigns against the Turks.

That Byzantium had good connections to Genoa or the Pope was only because they were weak.

Should Byzantium at any time rise again and take the place of the Ottoman Empire controlling the Bosporus then they would get into conflict with Genoa due to their colonies in the Black Sea just as the Ottomans did.

Should B. be strong enough to challenge Venice for their greek possessions or even to meddle in Italian affairs then I can´t see Spain aiding them against the Turks. I rather see Spain - who sees Italy as theirs at that time - opposing Byzantium as an enemy just as they would the Ottomans.

I'm making my own modifications to the Byzantium Triumphant scenario (I prefer playing with Trebizond, BTW), and while looking for the possibility of a bulgarian revolt I found about Fruzhin, the son of one of the last bulgarian tsars, who lead a rebelion from 1408 to 1415. I'm thinking of creating an event where he tries again if the Ottomans start to lose big in Anatolia (which I managed to do with a lot of luck), and the Ottomans have to choose between fighting in two fronts or keep Bulgaria as a vassal. What do you think?