• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
MarshalN said:
I have a question that I hope someone can answer here.

I am playing Austria with the beta now. It is almost 1600, but the inheritance of Hungary event never fired. I figured there must be triggers that I didn't meet, so I go look in the event file. In the "Habsburg inheritance of Hungary" events, it says they are triggered by EEP_HUN events of various numbers. However, when I go look in the Hungary file, I can't seem to find them.

Now, I'm not an expert on these things, modding and otherwise, so can someone tell me if the events are there and I'm just not looking right, or are the events not there therefore I will never inherit Hungary? I've got cores on all of them, but they are a vassal of OE and I think I'll have to annex them if I want them.

Hm, instead of creating a new thread, I thought it would be best if I brought this one back, which, on second thought, might be just as annoying. My bad, but please spare me. I'm pretty much in the same situation as the poster above. I just hope I'll get more replies than he did. Early 1600s, Hungary is still there. I had them in my alliance, but didn't bother trying to vassalize them, hoping the event would fire up soon. An event did fire, but it converted Hungary to Reformed, made them leave my alliance and hate me. So, did I do something wrong? Should I keep waiting or should I flex my muscles and take my cores the brutish way? Thank you...

So, I was itching to play the game and decided I wouldn't wait for advice and I would do it the dumb way. I had just gained von Mercy and was dying to use him. The guy is awesome, he can assault 15k fortresses in a month. Anyway. I digress.

June 27, 1611, I force-vassalize Hungary. They're still Reformed.

July 22, 1611. I get "The Hapsburg Inheritance of Hungary". Hungary gets "The Hapsburgs Rule Hungary". On the same day, Ferdinand I, Maximilian I and Rudolf I rise to the throne in Hungary (I have Matthias I). And then I get "The Habsburg Inheritance of Hungary" (notice the "b" in "Habs"), get cores in their lands again, get better relations and get magyar culture.

Now, I'm no modder, but my humble guess is that an event that should have given me Hungary as vassals should have triggered a long time ago. I'm going to wait and see if the final event fires up.

In 1526 Hungary is vassalized to the Ottomans. In 1544 (?) the Ottomans should inherit Hungary after it cedes the border provinces to Austria. I'm not sure what happened in your case.

Hm. Maybe, perhaps, the Ottomans didn't exist? In the late 1400s, I was allied with Poland and Hungary and we pretty much ripped the Turks apart in Europe, while Ak Koyunlu helped herself to Asia Minor and the Middle East. So by 1521 there was no more an Ottoman Empire in the world...

They would rebel out of Hungary (who had Smyrna and the province south of Anatolia whose name I can't recall) in 1542, and they exist (although weaker) until now (1624 - I have Thrace). But I guess that was enough to completely screw up the events.

Anyway, I didn't wait for a final event to give me Hungary and diploannexed them as soon as I could. Would there be such an event?

I think so. Che?

Another issue

HAB event 179034
Code:
#The Archduchy of Austria by Fate
event = {
	id = 179034
	trigger = {
           religion = catholic
	}
	random = NO
	country = HAB
	name = "Austria becomes an Archduchy"
	desc = "On November 23, 1457 Emperor Friedrich III raised the status of Austria from a Duchy to an Archduchy. From the reign of Friedrich V  to Karl IV the rulers of Austria were referred to as Archdukes."
	style = 1
	date = { day = 23 month = november year = 1457 }

action_a = {
		name = "Excellent!"
		command = { type = vp value = 50 }
[color=red]		command = { type = dip which = 2 value = 400  }[/color] #Until the reign of his son#
                command = { type = stability value = 1 }
		}
}
This can be a very nasty event. Because of stack up of the monarch values the 400 months mean that insanity random events can really kill you. I suggest either
-reduce the 400 months to (say) 36, and make the bonus 3 or 4 instead of just 2, or
-have Frederick III die on the date of this event and wake a sucessor Frederick III with better stats.

As is the event is quite problematic.

Is there anyway a HRE nation could be formed?

I have been playing AGCEEP for awhile now and I was wondering if there was anyway to form a HRE from play as a minor German, italian, etc. I know there is not an event right now, but I will be willing to work on events, etc. if the idea is acceptable.

Isaac Brock said:
I think so. Che?

Submitting to the Habsburgs is choice B, regardless of whether or not there is an Ottoman Empire, and that only vassalizes them. Hungary choses a Transylvanian lord in Choice A. Paradox's Hungarian inheritence was all screwed up.

On that subject, however, I was distressed to see the Austrians inherit Hungary at the Death of Matthew Corvinas. Vassalization would be better, I think, given how the Hungarian lords didn't want to unite their kingdom with anyone.

Humorously, after inheriting Hungary, Austria moved its capital to Tyrol.

KingMississippi said:
I have been playing AGCEEP for awhile now and I was wondering if there was anyway to form a HRE from play as a minor German, italian, etc. I know there is not an event right now, but I will be willing to work on events, etc. if the idea is acceptable.

I think most people like the idea if it's done in a realistic way. There were some discussions in the old EEP thread, and around here, Twoflower had laid out a sequence. It never happened because no-one was pushing it.

chegitz guevara said:
Submitting to the Habsburgs is choice B, regardless of whether or not there is an Ottoman Empire, and that only vassalizes them. Hungary choses a Transylvanian lord in Choice A. Paradox's Hungarian inheritence was all screwed up.

On that subject, however, I was distressed to see the Austrians inherit Hungary at the Death of Matthew Corvinas. Vassalization would be better, I think, given how the Hungarian lords didn't want to unite their kingdom with anyone.

Humorously, after inheriting Hungary, Austria moved its capital to Tyrol.

So this means that Austria doesn't inherit Hungary by event (except in the Death of Matthias Corvinus sequence) in the AGCEEP? All you get is a vassalization and then you need to diploannex them? This isn't a complaint, I just want to clarify this...

In the historical sequence the Ottomans inherit Hungary after Hungary has ceded all the border provinces to Austria. So Austria ends up with 4 extra provinces, but has to fight the Ottomans to get the rest.

Does an independent Alsace/Strassbourg make more sense than an independent Baden? I think the reason it didn't get changed is because no-one proposed it.

What about Mainz? The Elector of Mainz was one of the most prestigous princes in the Empire and quite important in German histroy, even if the state was hardly a superpower. At the moment, Mainz province belongs to the Palatinate, which I understand as the Palatinate ought to have 2 provinces and Pfalz province is much to far west for Heidelberg. Mainz could potentially be given the province of Hessen, Wurzburg, or Baden, none of which would be geographically accurate, but Hesse was divided into several extremely petty states after the death of Prince Phillip, and Mainz was certainly more important than Bayreuth or Baden. I also think Magdeburg deserves independence as it was one of wealthiest and most populous cities of the Empire in 1419 and wasn't annexed by Brandenburg until 1663, though I can see giving Brandeburg Magdeburg to make sure they stick around long enough to become the Prussian Kingdom.

zacharym87 said:
What about Mainz? The Elector of Mainz was one of the most prestigous princes in the Empire and quite important in German histroy, even if the state was hardly a superpower. At the moment, Mainz province belongs to the Palatinate, which I understand as the Palatinate ought to have 2 provinces and Pfalz province is much to far west for Heidelberg. Mainz could potentially be given the province of Hessen, Wurzburg, or Baden, none of which would be geographically accurate, but Hesse was divided into several extremely petty states after the death of Prince Phillip, and Mainz was certainly more important than Bayreuth or Baden. I also think Magdeburg deserves independence as it was one of wealthiest and most populous cities of the Empire in 1419 and wasn't annexed by Brandenburg until 1663, though I can see giving Brandeburg Magdeburg to make sure they stick around long enough to become the Prussian Kingdom.
Well, a new setup for Southern Germany that looks like this was agreed on in the last major setup discussion and just awaits implementation (and I'm kinda afraid that people expect me to do it, which I will as soon as I get permanent internet access again):
  • Mainz is independent because it simply was such an important state and because the Palatinate should not have two coherent provinces
  • Würzburg is given to the Palatinate, representing the Upper Palatinate. Both provinces of the Palatinate will then not look exactly right geographically, but this is probably the best setup considering gameplay aspects, because this will let the Palatinate stick with 2 provinces, allows for the reintroduction of Mainz (placing it anywhere else than the Mainz province is inacceptable to most people), gives Bavaria and the Palatinate something to fight over in the Thirty Years war, represents the Palatinate's presence in Franconia and will allow for making Bavaria a solid power with 3 provinces in the 17th century, when it should become quite powerful
  • Tyrol (and after the inheritance Austria) keeps Baden, since the Hapsburgs owned the biggest and most important city in the area (Freiburg) and generally were the biggest landholders. Baden starts to be revoltable after the Reformation and is released by event sometime shortly before the Napoleonic Wars so it can play the major role it had historically then
  • an independent Alsace, representing the 10 Alsatian cities (the Décapole) that were subject to the Hapsburg Landgraviate of Alsace is an independent vassal of Tyrol. The vassalage is transferred to Burgundy, Austria and eventually France by event at the times when the Landgraviate was transfered to these countries. Hapsburg control of the area was existant, but rather weak, and they actually owned perhaps just a quarter of Alsace and no city that was in any way important (which is why the obscure village of Ensisheim is currently the capital of Hapsburg owned Alsace in AGCEEP)

Brandenburg owns Magdeburg exactly for the reason you mention - it simply is too weak and survives too rarely without the province.

Twoflower said:
Well, a new setup for Southern Germany that looks like this:
  • Mainz is independent
  • Würzburg is given to the Palatinate
  • Tyrol keeps Baden
  • an independent Alsace, vassal of Tyrol

And, I thought, Ostmarch to Bohemia?

Twoflower said:
... allows for the reintroduction of Mainz (placing it anywhere else than the Mainz province is inacceptable to most people)
And because the vast majority of the lands of the elector were on the right bank of the Rhine :)
[*]an independent Alsace, representing the 10 Alsatian cities (the Décapole) that were subject to the Hapsburg Landgraviate of Alsace is an independent vassal of Tyrol. The vassalage is transferred to Burgundy, Austria and eventually France by event at the times when the Landgraviate was transfered to these countries.
In real life France ought to inherit. By 1648 they had consolidated all of the territory in Alscase under their direct control. The cities, obviously, remained independent and in the Empire, but I don't think that they should be considered as indepedent actors after this date. Austria never had the same amount of control over Alsace as France.

WiSK said:
And, I thought, Ostmarch to Bohemia?
Obviously this as well, but this isn't really part of reworking the South German setup and does not need to be implemented along with the other changes - especially since I'm not sure this should be done before the proposed new approach to the Hussite Wars (with a "civil war" situation that involves Hussite Bohemia and Romanist Bohemia rather than Hussite Bohemia and Hungary) has been worked out and can be implemented with it.

Alright, there has been a consensus to implement several things, however nobody has cared about this for quite a while. Therefore, unless anybody objects strongly until tomorrow, I will post the following changes to the submissions thread:
  • Alsace is created as an independent country
  • the capital of Alsace is changed to Kolmar
  • Alsace is a vassal of Tyrol, with the startdate of the vassalisation set to 1500 (to prevent an easy diplo-annexation after just ten years that would make the creation of Alsace rather pointless)
  • Tyrol's and Austria's cores on Alsace are removed. These cores are also removed from all events where the Hapsburgs gain them.
  • in revolt.txt, the startdate for Baden is 1555, which is when the first of the two branches became protestant
  • in the events where Tyrol cedes the Vorlande to somebody (Problems in the Vorlande and Sigismund grows old) Baden is ceded to the new owner of the Vorlande (Burgundy, Bavaria or Austria, depending on the events and the choices made)
  • the Death of Charles the Bold does not release Baden and instead cedes the province back to Tyrol
  • the Abdication of Sigismund der Münzreiche does not release Baden
  • Lanka is assigned a different tag in order to free up the MAI tag for Mainz
  • Mainz is recreated, with the monarchs, graphics and events it used to have
  • Würzburg is owned by the Palatinate
  • capital of Pfalz is Heidelberg, of Mainz Mainz and of Würzburg Amberg
  • the Palatinate loses its core on Mainz and gets a core on Würzburg
  • all of Brandenburg's events relating to its Franconian possessions are deleted