• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Cool. I guess we're doing it that way then. Any arguments in favor of higher tax values in specific provinces?

I'm leaning toward slightly favoring Boston, NYC, Philadelphia and the Virginia provinces in some of the increase events, but otherwise I was thinking of starting all provinces in the area (Canada would not be affected) at around 2 or 3 taxvalue, staying there till 1760, with eventual event increases to around 12-15 or slightly above by 1790.

To be clear - this will affect all provinces within the 1783 USA borders, but ONLY those.

While I'm messing around with province definitions, does anyone have suggested changes to the current goods being produced?

Last edited:
Good news: I tested my revised INC files for the NA tribes, with the newly downsized tribes, and they work beautifully.

I've kept the provinces they keep at the same population and with level one forts in the capitals; anyone think they should be smaller?

FYI - in my current version, Navajo keep Utah, Creek keep Tuscaloosa, Cherokee keep Alabama, Huron keep, ell, Huron, and Iroquois keep Irondekoit, Onondaga, Oswego and Mohawk. All other provs are vacant.

Am sort of conflicted over what to do next; either straightening out the Louisiana and Florida events once-and-for-all, scripting the remaining post-1800 events (such as the Triploitanian War), or further planning on the Revolution. I do NOT have the time currently to jump into the 1760-1800 period yet, as I'm going to be out of town from the 7th to the 10th.

That 1760-1800 period is going to be rather action-packed when I get done with it; would not be at all surprised if it ends up being over a third of the NA events.

Things defined in scenario file override the general rules. It doesn't matter if province is not owned on the start or not. You can set its manpower, culture, religion, tax etc. and it should work. Of course first successfull colonial attempt introduce new culture and religion but other things should remain like it was defined in scenario file.

Removal of tax collectors should rather help europeans to rule (RR lesser by 3, anyway).
If you want to make these provinces poorer, then you can set it in scenario file or add another command to your events. You are making events anyway to change culture and religion. Province base tax can be lowered in these too.

Second solution is more attractive cause it provides better control but it force to create the events not only for England but for France, Spain and Holland too (let alone the ahistorical colonists). Take a look on the solution proposed by EEP. I mean events like "European rule in Zacatecas" and the like (it is located in Aztecs events in the newest release of EEP). I've got the feeling that it helps only in particular situation while the player is Spain (events must fire for player but the given province can be conquered by some ai led country) and it has no effect if player is not owning the given province but I haven't tested it and may be wrong.

Originally posted by Sheridan
That 1760-1800 period is going to be rather action-packed when I get done with it; would not be at all surprised if it ends up being over a third of the NA events.
I'm somewhat concerned over the amount of effort being expended here in comparison to how often we'll see the events actually fire. Setting aside that many (most?) people stop playing well before the USA's viable, there's a lot of time for things to go wrong between 1500 and 1760.

Perhaps France sunk the Cabots during a HYW outbreak, and Genoa got a random explorer and dropped trading posts all over.

Perhaps England's lost its colonies to a resurgent Scotland, and the Dutch have filled in the gaps.

Perhaps the Royalists and Puritans have crushed England and split its carcass 50-50? (Though there should be events for the latter two to become England if they own Anglia and England doesn't exist, I suppose.)

I've seen all three of these, and while they're admittedly a bit extreme :), unusual conditions, historically speaking, are commonplace even by the 1600s in EU2. In general, the longer a sequence of events is (and you imply that the sequence will indeed be long), the less adaptable to strange conditions I've found it to be.

Well, seeing American history, there was quite a bit 'up' in that period. I didn't want to oversimplify.

Mainly those events fall into two general categories - the pre-1776 ones which cause the revolution (via escalating revolt risk, my current idea is for around 5-6 events that give like 6-8 RR each to all the provinces, some with 'out' choices), and the post-1776 ones which go through the early American government-setup stuffs. What I said about the "action-packed-ness" of the period may have been somewhat misleading. The revolution events will probably be no more than 2 a year or so at peak; the post-events will crop up in large groups all at once (like determining the clauses in the Constitution, I'm guessing that will be at least 3 events, but they'll all pop up in a very short time).

The Constitution, etc. stuff (for the USA) will work no matter who the USA forms from; this should cover most ahistoric situations, and I can duplicate the revolt events intended for England for the most common other owners of the provinces. The revolt events are important because I'm NOT going to use the vassal-release trick; it's more realistic as a Dutch-style revolt.

Besides... I'm not well enough versed in world history to be any help whatsoever (except as an idea man on the game-mechanics side) anywhere else.

The reason I said "a third" of the events is because I am, as far as I can tell, finished with the pre-1760 period, except for possibly a few to complete the granting of colonial CBs - there's 3 countries which should be included and currently are not, in my files. So far (including all the permutations of the Indian Raids sequence) I've used a total of 85 events. The Louisiana/Florida stuffs, I am expecting, will take around 10-15. I've got one or two ideas for other stuff in the post-1800 period, but quite honestly I may not do any of them. On the other hand, I currently have a handwritten, one page list (one side) of events for 1760-1800.

Other than testing, looking at my personal schedule... I could be done by the end of the month, working alone. (I'm currently working part-time on-call, and my place of business closes for a few weeks surrounding the holidays anyways).

To put it shortly, I think I've got the time, and I don't think I would be much help elsewhere in the project, and I also don't think we should neglect the USA simply because people don't play to the end of the game enough. As for the frequency of its appearance - the events I'm working on should make it much more common, assuming historical colonization patterns (which we worked on earlier).

Last edited:
Be careful about USA forming from non-English countries though... the historical conditions for USA were rather England-specific, and I doubt a bigger New Sweden (for instance) would have revolted like the English colonies did.

True, very true.... though I was thinking more of France. I'm wondering just how similar French colonial policies might have been to English ones - would they have been as hands-off as England was in the early colonial period?

Obviously the ahistorical large-scale colonizers (Sweden, Genoa I think were mentioned) would not produce the same results.

Hey guys! :)

I'm not sure if you guys are still doing this, considering that the most recent post is from 2002, but I have some suggestions.

~ the American States were very independent oriented from the time they were given separate charters and even different ways they were colonized (ex. religious settlements, private charters) up until the crushing defeat of State's Rights after the War of Northern Aggression (read: "US 'Civil' War"). So...logic would say that the 'american colonies' should start secceding as separate states and not show up as "United States" until after the Constitutional Convention of 1789. Between the revolt and that event they should be a part of an alliance like Austria/England/Prussia/Holland were in the mid-1700's against France/Spain.

This could get very interesting if General Washington were to be killed in combat due to the thought of the time that if he were killed at the Battle of Long Island, the colonies would lose their already loose-solidarity and there would be many 'American' states after the revolt descended into guerilla warfare from state to state.

~ there should be a special event, I forget the date but can find out if any is interested, in the mid-1810's when the Cherokee Nation tried to become a state within the United States, but were ignored due to the discovery of gold on their property in Georgia. So I think that should be a special event, whether or not to accept the 3 provinces of the Cherokee nations into the Nation. Have them keep the culture of 'cherokee', but they all automatically convert to reformed, and there is no rise in revolt risk. That of course would happen if you chose NOT to just kill 'em off. :rolleyes:

~if perchance, someone actually wants to elect Aaron Burr as the 3rd president of the United States :wacko: , all proverbial hell should break loose. Aaron Burr was an admitted charlatan and actually wanted to declare himself Imperator! :confused:

~ the cultures of the United States should be : anglosaxon (in all provinces owned by Unites States, unless specified), celtic (large scottish populations were in the western areas of mass., pennsylvania, and virginia.), and german (large german populations in eastern PA, western MD, and New Jersey.) All of the celts and german settlers in this game are also, conveniently I might add ;) , 'reformed' as well. Unless of course we extend the game and get those Catholic Celts in the 1840's... :D