• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There is not much work that was done yet for the beta 3 submissions (the current conclusion list should be checked though, I believe that simple stuff like the change of the great lakes was indeed submitted because it required practically no time to get ready, if any at all).

I have sent the event text file to you by e-mail.

ALSO - I will need a volunteer well versed in modifications other than events, to make such changes as fall within those areas or educate me in how to do so; I myself have only done events. This mainly refers to the leader and monarch files, also armynames and navynames.

Havard has got a good site detailing a lot of what you might need to know. Chances are also good that editing of data tables won't really need any special knowledge, beyond being able to read the English language.;)

I also included a link to Havard's page in the first post of the Russia thread (at the bottom of it).

I should probably also mention that one of the reasons why I started this thread (at least when I did) was the intention of creating an 'easter egg' event, where the player gets the opportunity to decide whether to go with the current elector system for presidential elections, or instead make it purely vote-based. The second option would put to sleep a certain president from the 21st century.;) (and perhaps +1 centralization, but not really needed; the purpose of the event would not have been to change the path of USA, but rather put a smile on some faces)

That's actually a very good idea; I'm sure there may have been other times where this circumstance arose, and in those cases this would necessitate switching the order of the event choices in the election events.

Perhaps we'll have a whole series of choices dealing with the clauses in the Constitution of 1787.

First test - now to roughly 1590 - seems to indicate that they ignore colonies not in the areas listed in their colonial AI's - even when captured.

In my test, France captured a colony in Labrador (not listed in its AI) during a landslide victory over England in a war in 1503. It NEVER sent any colonists there after this; nearly 90 years later it is still an Anglosaxon colony, and its population growth is consistent with the amount of time (level 2 to level 3). 2 other colonies, in the Hudson Bay area (which IS in the French AI) and captured at same time under same circumstances, WERE further colonized by France.

It also did not try to recolonize the southern half of Greenland, when a TP there it had captured was burned in a subsequent war. This was also outside the area of its AI.

England also never tried to set up any TPs or colonies in the Quebec region, which it did not have in its AI, even though it is quite probable that they had at least some of it mapped (as they did TP Bas-St-Laurent, which is right next to the boundary; they also had 3 colonies in Labrador-Hudson Bay which were lost to France in 1503).

This seems to indicate - to me - that the colonial AI modifications are helping. I would prefer AT LEAST 2 more tests - and if anyone wants to volunteer to do one, please go ahead and let me know of results. Remember, you need only record colonization in Newfoundland, Bermuda, and the American mainland north-east of Texas.

Last edited:
Ah, the sweet smell of victory... it seems the tests are going better than I expected. I'm even starting to think that the Ottomans can be fixed. Almost.;)

Have been running 2nd colonial test (now to 1529; only non-AI behavior is a single English TP in the Quebec area). Turns out my French event granting CBs did not fire in either test, so these are with English but not French CBs, as previously proposed.

Also have been researching event possibilities. Have a couple dozen ideas....

- Various laws and other actions in the 1763-76 period which will "ramp up" revolt risk in the American colonies. These will be for England, some of them as "flavor" type events with no choices (such as "Paine publishes 'Common Sense'") and others as yes/no choice events (such as passage of Acts of Parliament). The Quebec Act will fit into this scheme, as the most complicated of all (the only one I am envisioning having more than 2 options).

- A few pre-1763 events, mainly dealing with the possibilities of Dutch and Swedish colonization and the Salem Witch Trials.

- Several options for the USA in the text of the Articles of Confederation and the Constitution, each producing different DP and economic results. Also might affect Presidental elections (both in possible outcomes and in timing; am toying with a "president for life" option to the 4-year terms.) Also an event which will either inherit or vassalize the Iroquois if they still exist (there was a treaty signed with them in 1794).

My sources are very limited on the military-leaders side of things; anyone have decent sources on this?

Have posted a new version of monarchs.usa in the Eastern NA thread, to account for possible Constitution events. Only change is in death dates of some of the historical monarchs. (Alternate election events might be justified with the idea I had.)

Also, have rewritten the Colonial CB events. The version I now have is designed fire when the country owns any of the relevant provinces on a date between 1585 and 1762; effects remain the same.

Historical events will take over in 1763 which will change/remove many of these in preparation for historic revolts and sales/transfers of territory.

Having run the second colonial test up to 1574, I'm pretty convinced that it is working. The only non-AI behavior in it was a single English TP in Quebec.

Of course, it was another weird game to test with. In the first game an early French-English war, resulting in France taking the HB and Labrador area colonies proved the most useful; here, Scotland decimated England and Burgundy survived, making both England and France unusually weak. As a result, there wasn't a lot of data to collect on them, but both countries had a good 8+ colonies worldwide - some of which were taken out by natives and rebuilt multi times - Antigua was particularly fun in this respect - and only ONE (the aforementioned English TP in Manicougan) was not covered by that country's AI. I also recorded the Caribbean and West Africa this time, and checked other countries (Morocco, Portugal, Spain and Venice) which had colonies - all of those fit as well.

Am going to abort the colonial AI testing and call it a success, and work on the CB-granting events.

Some Work Complete

Have finished coding for the Colonial CB events and for a pair of events relating to the Salem Witch Trials.

I will be testing these over the next few days, and will then release them here. I do not plan any other events before 1760.

For those wondering, here's the Salem events for your perusal (ID numbers are just ridiculously high ones I picked for testing):

event = {
id = 17760010
date = { day = 15 month = january year = 1692 }
offset = 20
deathdate = { day = 2 month = december year = 1692 }
trigger = {
owned = { province = 102 data = ENG }
NOT = { domestic = { type = innovative value = 8 } }
}

random = no
country = ENG
name = "Salem Witch Trials"
desc = "Colonists in Massachusetts claim to have evidence of witchcraft in the town of Salem. Shall we allow witch hunts and trials to take place there?"
style = 1

action_a ={ #Allow the Trials, but impose limits#
name = "Allow the Trials, but Impose Limits"
command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 102 value = 20 }
command = { type = revolt which = 102 }
}

action_b ={ #Do Not Allow the Trials#
name = "Do Not Allow the Trials"
command = { type = stability value = -1 }
command = { type = revoltrisk value = 4 }
command = { type = revolt which = 102 }
command = { type = sleepevent which = 17760011 }
}

action_c ={ #Allow the Trials Without Limits#
name = "Allow the Trials Without Limits"
command = { type = stability value = 1 }
command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 102 value = 30 }
}
}

event = {
id = 17760011
date = { day = 15 month = april year = 1693 }
offset = 20
deathdate = { day = 2 month = december year = 1710 }
trigger = {
event = 17760010
control = { province = 102 data = ENG }
}

random = no
country = ENG
name = "End of the Salem Witch Trials"
desc = "The Salem Witch Trials have ended and we have restored order there."
style = 1

action_a ={ #Very Good#
name = "Very Good"
command = { type = province_revoltrisk which = 102 value = -30 }
}
}

Last edited:
Isn't +20 or +30 a bit high? I believe it is even worse than the Dutch ferocity during its independence war...

Actually it's quite close to the Dutch revolt figure (which I think is in the low 30s). This is pre-testing though; I expect it to be lowered, perhaps by as much as half - I want to see it in action first.

Also note the fact that it is cancelled out by an event that happens as soon as the province's fort is under government control, as long as that happens between 1-17 years (and just about anyone should be able to do that) from the start-date. It is also only one province. And at this time there is no valid revolter in North America, so unless someone (ahistorically) has a border with Massachusetts it can't declare independence and shouldn't be able to defect.

Really, the intent (although it is based on real history) is to give the English player a taste of things to come; the American colonies will be subjected to revolt risks similar to or possibly even exceeding this by 1775. (I plan to have several events which each apply a small revolt risk, most but not all having player 'outs'.) America in 1775-6 should become, if not independent, ungovernable, and I thought a Dutch or even super-Dutch style revolt was better than an event granting outright independence without even a chance to fight it off. A player who either takes some of the outs (and yes there will be repercussions) or is very on the ball with a huge standing army might just be able to hold America (or parts of it).

Last edited:
You also should do something about the USA (and even more the Netherlands) released as a vassal and reannexed when the timeframe for the revolt events is over, since this is a very cheap way to get around it (and very frustrating in multiplayer; I was extremely close to quitting the game out of anger - although I of course didn't do it- when Spain did exactly this with the Netherlands in a recent game of mine). Therefore there should be events in which the USA and the Netherlands break the vassalage and relations are dramatically lowered.

Well, the Netherlands isn't my cup of tea, nor can it be fixed the way I'm going to fix the USA, but...

I'm going to suggest the revolt date for the USA be set AFTER the vast majority of the events fire (1775). That way releasing the USA as a vassal before the events fire is not an option. There will be events beginning about 10-12 years prior to that date, though the revolt risks will pile up over time; they will not be applied all at once.

There will still be a player way out but it will be crippling. I'm thinking of slashing the pre-1763 tax values for the American colonies, possibly by half or more (an English history text I have claims that colonists were paying 2% of the taxes - per person - that English paid in 1763, so even that is generous) and granting taxvalue increases with the revoltrisks (historically accurate as many of the laws objected to were taxes). This would mean that a player choosing not to get the revolt risks would also never get the tax value increases.

Last edited:
Thanks for the English DP's... might be useful.

Spent today working on a series of events which allow France (assuming historical colonization patterns and relations values) to incite wars between the Huron and English. Going to produce copies of this to allow the Spanish to do this with the Creek, and more rarely with the Cherokee, and for the French to rarely do this with the Iroquois.

Other than this and revamping the Louisiana/Florida stuffs, the only other events I have in mind (excluding the 1760-1800 period) are some dealing with the American wars against the North African countries around 1800-15.

I think that, by the end of this week, I should have everything outside of the 1760-1800 period ready for testing... any volunteers?

Ok folks, another update...

I've scripted up my planned Indian Raids events and am currently trying to test them. (So far France and Spain aren't cooperating by colonizing territories they need to trigger the events.) The events are designed with triggers that require French (or Spanish) territories in Quebec (or Florida), certain relations between the French/Spanish and the natives, certain relations between the English and the natives, and that both the French (or Spanish) and the natives are not allied with England. Pretty complex, huh? Well anyways, if they work, France (or Spain for the southern tribes) gets an option to pay off the Natives to go to war with England; if the natives decide to take the money and run they can, but their usual choice will be to raise an army and declare war. (If they do this they get upwards of 10k troops and any remaining natives between their territory and the coast are pumped to aggressiveness 9.) At end of war a third event hits which disbands the native army, secedes any conquered provinces back to England, and resets the natives down to 3. (Details might change during testing.) The main difference from tribe to tribe is the specific English territories affected and the numbers of money and troops involved, and also variations on the timeframes of the events.

I would post them here, but it's like 75 events total. If anyone really wants a copy, email me.

I'm testing the colonial CB events in the same game. So far the English and French ones have fired properly, with only one error (a province that should have been included in the English event and was not); the other countries I've scripted them for have not met requirements yet.

---------------------

Also.... a discussion topic. To represent the English colonial economy, I'd like to drastically slash tax values in the 13 colonies region. Should this be done....

a) via province.csv (which can't be done until 1.06 is out)
b) via events which trigger for any likely colonizer country
c) via events that only trigger for England
d) some other way I haven't thought of
e) not at all (which, if I implement events as planned, will make the USA insanely rich by having provinces with an average tax value of like 15-18)

Also, should the events (if we go that route) have an escape hatch? (I actually think not; England historically didn't have much control over the American colonies; they were set up under charters that gave them local government AND taxation rights from day one. By 1763, citizens of England paid, on average, 50 times the taxes paid in America - per person. This was a huge reason for the tax laws of 1763-75 that triggered the Revolution.)

Keep in mind that the tax value reductions will be replaced (and more) during said 1763-75 period with the introduction of new tax laws and during the 1776-89 period as the colonies become the United States and establish the legal system we know today.

If you want to slash the income in 1419, then make it in 1419 scenario file. But cause it is huge and person that compiles (Korath almost for sure :)) will be given changes from others, then better make just the entries like this:

Code:
 [color=white]

# Posen
province = { 
    id = 303
	income = 10
	terrain = 0 #plains# 
	goods = 02

[/color]

The things must be selected in proper way like it is in province.csv. So goods should not be before income, etc. The best option would be place it in province.csv but it is not loaded by the game (bug, probably will be corrected in 1.06).

I think the events may be used to remove tax collectors. I hate them for +3 RR bonus but this time it connects to historical reasons - how indian tribes could produce tax collector?
Anyway, these events may be given to colonial nations in America and fire on "owned" by England or France or Spain trigger.

Yes, and thank you; I slid a mention of it into the to-do list. The file I have has copies of the events generally as I submitted them to you previously and a note that copies need to be generated for likely non-Spain owners.

Vikouak - two things to clarify here.

First - as for the sceanrio file, does that work for provinces that are not owned at game-start? (i.e. most of the Eastern NA coast)

Second - the removal of tax collectors, etc. (decimation of the Native provinces, which I agree is important) is a seperate issue, and one I am already decided to tackle. (The appropriate provinces will have events depicting the driving off of the indians; they will be stripped down as much as is possible - population, tax collectors, etc. - and switched to appropriate religion and culture to show the European colonists moving in.

My main concern (the one I brought up in the discussion) was representing the very small amount of taxes collected by England due to their colonial policies. I was talking about slashing all of the colonies - the coastal (places-to-build-colonies) provinces as well as the inland and possibly native-owned ones - down to, for example, a tax value of say 2 or 3, which would be increased to roughly 6-8 in the 1763-75 period by English events, then again by 1 or 2 points each by a couple of the early USA events.

Last edited: