• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Making the pirates a country owning anything is not desirable. It is a can of worms and should not be opened.

The Caribbean islands in question (as pirate havens) were the Cayman Islands (not on our map) and most of the nominally "English" islands (the Bahamas, Antigua, and Jamaica are the classics). They were well known as pirate's havens, as the local (English) colonial governments were either unwilling or unable to stop the pirates, and thus the pirates used these as bases to prey upon other parts of the region.

Madagascar, in later years, was also known as a similar haven, as were the inland sounds on the North Carolina coast. I'm not familiar too much with Asian history, but I would not be surprised to learn that Taiwan played a similar role. NONE of these areas was ever actually governed by pirates, though - they were colonies of countries unable or unwilling to prevent the pirates from using them as bases.

In fact, it was quite common to wage economic warfare by licensing pirates; the deal was that the "licensed" pirates would not prey on their licensing country or its allies. These later came to be called "privateers", and were used as late as the early 1800s (including by the United States). The licenses were known as Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and I believe the USA Constitution specifically grants the USA government the power to issue them. (I know some were issued, but I'm not entirely sure it's in the Constitution.)

In game terms, however, representing the pirates as a country is a BAD idea. This would most likely prevent them from attacking except when at war, which (if fixed via events, etc.) would cause intense war exhaustion problems for EVERYONE, not just the pirates. This doesn't even get into issues like being able to eliminate piracy by conquering them, etc.

Sheridan said:
The licenses were known as Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and I believe the USA Constitution specifically grants the USA government the power to issue them.
Yep! They're in there! In fact, thats what many libertarians want to use as their casus belli in attacking specific terrorists orgs instead of invading certain countries and occupying them. :rolls eyes:

Port Royal in Jamaica was the mecca for pirates in the western hemisphere until was burned down sometime in the late 1600's. While I am not for the pirates having their own land, I think there should be "buccaneers" (read: land pirates) that prey on trading posts, colonies, and unfortified cities. They take over and a window should pop up with option A being a bribe for them to go away and option B would be to ignore them, wherein which the pirates temporarily "put up shop" until the home country sends forces to kill them.

Pirates & Fortifications

You can't. Pirates won't pop up if the neighbouring landzones are sufficiently fortified...

How sufficient is sufficient? I thought pirates were prevented by having a ship in the sea zone.

When I played my last game as Portugal, pirates were a minor factor. The biggest problem was my Explorers would run into them, and maybe lose a ship or two. Considering, the historical legends that have arisen around pirates, pirates should have a greater impact then they do now. As Portugal patroling the sea zones took a significant amount of naval power, but I am a naval superpower I have ships to waste. In time of war I would need to take these ships off of patrol duty to engage the other navies, but Pirates never took advantage of this situation.

The Confederate States of America also used privateers in their one and only war with the USA (1861-1865).